[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why Java Sucks?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 5
File: java-logo.jpg (36 KB, 651x400) Image search: [Google]
java-logo.jpg
36 KB, 651x400
Why Java Sucks?
>>
It doesn't.
>>
>>53295890
It doesn't.
>>
>>53295890
It doesn't
>>
It doesn't.
>>
>>53295935
>>53295943
>>53295948
>>53295965

Tell me why.
>>
It doesn't
>>
It doesn't.
>>
Slow and bloated, just like every modern techonolgy.
>>
>>53295983
Because it doesn't
>>
>>53295890
retarded levels of boilerplate code thanks to its over verbosity and overall lower performance than compiled code (you never know when that memory free is gonna fuck u up)
>>
OOP

And it isn't even OOP done right

And it is verbose as fuck

And it has many fucking warts due to how generics were bolted on etc.
>>
>>53296006
/thread
>>
Once you get past the following:

Project requirements (incl portability)
Performance of available/target runtimes and compilers (see 1 for acceptable performance ranges)
Library availability (see 1)
Timeframe (you need it done in a week. it's a large program. do you use assembly?) (affected by 5)
Skill level of participating programmers (you're an enterprise cog and 50% of your team is brand new, do you use C?)
Amount of participating programmers (50% of your team is literally 50 programmers. OOP might be a good idea.)

Programming languages are personal preference.

If you're a master race hobbyist with a real job you can use pretty much anything you want and "sucks" means "i just don't like to program in it"

If you're a proprietary bloatware writing untermensch nobody cares about your opinions. They aren't yours. They're essentially your employers. Go fuck yourself back to college and get a degree in real engineering, faggot.
>>
>>53295983
>everyone knows it
>it runs on everything
>Its easy to learn.
>platform-independent.
>object-oriented. This allows you to create modular programs and reusable code.
>Not boring as fuck to write
>>
Show me application written in Java that has smooth well responsive GUI
>>
>>53296046
>Eclipse
>Android
>>
Abstractions over abstractions over abstractions over abstractions over abstractions over abstractions over abstractions over abstractions over abstractions over abstractions over abstractions.

The HotSpot VM has absurdly fast JIT-compilation, but even that can't fix retard developers writing classes that write classes out of XML definitions of classes that are implementations of interfaces of bean declarations so other classes have a decent sense of what that class implements in terms of abstracted getters and setters that are reflected at runtime through the consumer class of which the producer interface is implemented through another class.
>>
>>53296076
>Android phone
>Eight-core processor and 4 GB of RAM
>Still slow
>>
>>53296044
>everyone knows it
Bad thing. Tryhards with no interest in programming besides "i want to be zuckberg" can now contribute to your project, and you won't catch all of their little mistakes until it's too late.

CS is currently in a state of oversaturation with retarded nerds (java/python/js faggots) that for the first time in history, the average female programmer is better than the average male programmer.

>>53296095
>retard developers writing classes that write classes out of XML definitions of classes that are implementations of interfaces of bean declarations so other classes have a decent sense of what that class implements in terms of abstracted getters and setters that are reflected at runtime through the consumer class of which the producer interface is implemented through another class.

it's modular and reusable!
>>
> he never developed scalable high performance applications with Spring
I pity you.
>>
>>53296046
IntelliJ
>>
File: 1452606903836.jpg (634 KB, 2943x2155) Image search: [Google]
1452606903836.jpg
634 KB, 2943x2155
>>53296140
>he never did something interesting with my favorite language
>>
Mostly the annoying boilerplate.
>>
>>53296095
So your problem is with the shit developers that use it, not the language itself.
>>
>>53296221
class forcedToUseOOPForNoReason
public static void main(String args[]{
System.out.println("Hello world");
}

what's not to like?
>>
>>53296926
that it wont compile.
>>
>>53296112
>touchwizz
>>
>>53296044
>it runs on everything
Really? But I don't have the Java VM installed on my PC. How can Java run on my PC, since Java is not bundled with any major OS, as far as I know.
>>
>>53297042
Are you stupid?

"It runs on everything" is meant like "Even toasters can run Java".
>>
>>53295890

Java is a tool. You don't use a hammer when screwing screws do you ?
>>
>>53296926
Yeah, there are many situations where strict use of OOP is a nuisance. It's just not needed.
>>
>>53297837
"it runs on everything!*"

*only if there is a JVM for the specified architecture

literally no different from a compiled language other than that it is slower
>>
>>53296926

What? You have to do basically the same thing in C, and it isn't OOP. It's (vaguely) annoying, but they can't all be scripting languages
>>
>>53297837
C compilers exist for more platforms than there are platforms with JVMs.
>>
>>53298083
java is a compiled language
>>
>>53295890
It doesn't
>>
>>53295890
It doesn't, that is just a meme
don't fall for the java sucks meme, guys
>>
It doesn't suck.
>>
>I guess this has alot to do with a whole de-generation of Java programmers knowing nothing about memory.
I get a little tired of theis "durr, Java programmers are babbies who can't into memory" meme. Perhaps it's true for your college freshman, but a lot of us do know about memory. A lot of us did develop C and C++ applications. We use Java precisely because we realize how fucking hard it is to do memory management correctly. A lot of these smug C users who think they're the next Linus Torvalds, have never worked on a project of significant size or complexity. I'm a software engineer for the insurance industry and one of our applications processes 10s of millions of rows of data every day. It was originally written in C++ and even with some of our best people working on it, there was a lot of difficulty managing memory and keeping it from crashing. Java has saved us a lot of time and effort. The 500 line toy programs that these smug C geniuses work on are not representative of the real world. I've found that a lot of people who have written large C or C++ applications don't hate Java nearly as much as the 19 year old who reads cat-v and thinks he's got software engineering all figured out because he can write FizzBuzz in a dozen functional languages.
>>
File: sagan-what.jpg (18 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
sagan-what.jpg
18 KB, 480x480
>>53299956
>compiled
actually, it is hybrid, senpai
>>
>>53299956
>compiled
>>
Does anyone have any good advice as to what to code Java in?
>>
File: 1453837103211.jpg (36 KB, 400x460) Image search: [Google]
1453837103211.jpg
36 KB, 400x460
>>53299956
>compiled language
>>
>>53295890
>Why C is sucks?
>Why IDE sucks?
>Why Java sucks?

On /sci/ we get strange,shit threads in threes as well. But more often. Specific people are either either bored enough or employed to do this shit. I feel like a crackpot for thinking 4chan deliberately generates half it's own threads (it's such an easy idea and easy to execute).
>>
>>53295935
>>53295943
>>53295948
>>53295965
Samefag?

>mfw some of /g/ actually believes Java doesn't suck.
Here's a tip for you. The only reason it's acceptable to learn Java is because job opportunities. Oh and Minecraft modding. In case you didn't understand, I'll really dumb it down for you: Java is a security flawed black hole of utter suckyness.
>>
File: notme.jpg (15 KB, 327x344) Image search: [Google]
notme.jpg
15 KB, 327x344
>>53299956
>compiled.
being this stupid fucking retard.
>>
>>53295983
That's not the way it works retard. Tell us how it sucks, and do it without spurting a meme.
>>
>>53296042
What's your real job? Why the fuck are you talking about project requirements if it's a hobby.
>>
>>53296044
>it runs on everything
Except embedd systems.
>Its easy to learn.
As easy as most other languages.
>platform-independent.
It's as platform independent as most popular programming languages. I mean, it's nice, but it's not THAT great.
>object-oriented. This allows you to create modular programs and reusable code.
You don't need OOP for that.
>Not boring as fuck to write
Personally I do think it's one of the most boring languages there are.
>>
>>53298083
No need to recompile, and it's guaranteed to work. Plus better cross-platform libraries than any other language.
>>
>>53296042

this guy actually makes sense
>>
>>53300125
>>53300197
>>53301212
>it runs on the JVM how is it compiled???????

/g/, gentlemen.
>>
>>53301314
java runs on embedded systems you dingus
>>
>>53300078
>>53300125
>>53300197
>>53301212
Just because it doesn't compile to the systems native bytecode doesnt mean it isnt a compiled language. You can view the JVM assembly for your code if you'd like (I'd post some here but its massive)
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.