[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Fuck. I didn't do any research on SSD's before I bought
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3
File: samsung-ssd-840-evo.jpg (39 KB, 620x340) Image search: [Google]
samsung-ssd-840-evo.jpg
39 KB, 620x340
Fuck. I didn't do any research on SSD's before I bought mine.
I had no clue how FUCKING low the write limit is.
5 months ago I fell for the SSD meme perpetuated all over /g/ and I lost ALL my fucking data.
We need a fucking sticky or warning or something about the shitty tech memes that niggers will post here just to waste your time.
>>
Is that the Evo 850? Mine says it has an estimated 15 years left. You done goofed op
>>
Proof?

My 840 evo has been going strong since last 2 year. Currently at ~40TB of writes.
>>
>>53295747
Here's your (you).
>>
lrn2backup
>>
>>53295747
>I lost ALL my fucking data.
loudest keks. Even though this is a bait I'm going to answer because as a sysadmin this hits close to home.

For one, it wouldn't have mattered if you had hdd/sdd/tape drive or pen and paper with 1s and 0s. If you keep all your data in one place you'll going to lose it or part of it eventually.

Two, raid and raid-z are not backup solutions.

Three, geographically different locations for backups. I backup my important home shit to a work server and vice versa.

Four, non-tested backups are almost as useless as not having them at all.

Here's few basic tips. No need to thank me, follow these and you've lessen your chances to lose ALL your fucking data and you don't have to create these shitty bait threads ever again.
>>
>>53296011
This nigga got the right idea. Backup your backups and you will almost never loose data again. Not making backups of information is the dumbest shit that all the average computer users typically do and then get pissed off when they learn that they can't recover any of their important files. It's annoying. Just make backups. P.S. My 850 evo works like a champ, no issues
>>
>>53295747
>write limit
>unreadable
So.. which is it?
>>
Protip: If you actually had hit the WRITE limit, you should still be able to READ the data. That's what the write limit means. You just got a defective unit.
>>
>>53296011
As a sysadmin do you have a preferred automated system for creating this type of backup? For the first time in my life I have data that I can't afford to lose (school, large personal projects I wouldn't host on a git service) and as I grew up a winbabbie (openSUSE exclusively now) I have many blindspots. Any input is appreciated. And yes I can and have googled and found a few things already just looking for irl experience.
>>
>>53295747
>write limit
>unreadable
>using SSD for anything other than / partition
>>
>>53296172
I run everything off of my 1TB 850 evo, but I have a daily backup to a partition on a 2TB HDD
>>
>>53295747

Cool b8 brah. Take your lies somewhere else.

>2000 + 16
>still making threads about the ssd maymay when a 5min internet seach will proof that op is wrong.
>>
>>53295798
My 840 evo's been going for 6 years. I should probably replace it soon.
>>
>>53296138
Not him but just connect a usb drive and stick a rsync command in your crontab that runs once a day or so. Any backup is a million times better than no backup.
>>
>>53296264
You most likely have at least another two on it unless you write to it like a maniac. I would recommend stepping up to the 850 evo/pro if you do upgrade
>>
File: d5c.jpg (36 KB, 625x626) Image search: [Google]
d5c.jpg
36 KB, 625x626
>>53296264
>17 july 2013 - Samsung has announed the release of its Samsung SSD 840 EVO
>>
>>53295747
You got a defective drive, plain and simple. No modern SSD will exhaust its write limit in 5 months unless you hammer it with writes 24/7.
>>
>>53296138
Yeah like >>53296280 said, I love rsync. Haven't looked around in years if better alternatives exist because I've been satisfied with it. I run rsync over ssh because I don't have that large individual files (not multiple hundred MBs).

For example proliant microservers running nas4free or similar and a few disks are super easy to set up as a rsync server and client, too.

Then again if you're not interested in owning your own data and you trust the cloud (there's actually no cloud, it's just someone else's computer) there exist multiple vendors in this space which offer easy solutions for customers.
>>
I've been using the 850 EVO 500GB for 12 years with no problem. Not sure how OP fucked up so badly.
>>
>>53296964
My 850 evo 1TB has been going longer than that! OP probably tried to stick his dick in it or something
>>
File: 1327840939030.jpg (14 KB, 184x184) Image search: [Google]
1327840939030.jpg
14 KB, 184x184
>>53296964
>12 years
>>
ive written 10 tb on my 250gb samsung 830, is that a lot?
>>
>>53299088
No, if you do 10TB daily yes.
>>
I run various VMs from ssd nut there is one writing every half hour to the drive it's little data tho couple MBs any danger ?
>>
My 850 evo has been running almost 24/7 since 95 with no problems. OP fucked up, big time.
>>
>>53295747
Should've got the pro faggot. 840 pro for OS and 850 evo for games.
>>
Doesn't Secure Erase restore your SSDs performance?
>>
>>53302204
No write limit is a psyical limit on hardware, nothing software is going to fix it.

admit you bought a dud and get a new one.
>>
>>53295747
>i don't regularly backup my data
3-2-1 retard
>>
>>53295747
It's for running your os and program's not for storage you fucking dip
>>
>>53296367
How is that even bait? It only triggers autists who have the release date of every random tech product memorized
>>
>>53296056
>data being loose
I'm not sure that was ever an option.
>>
>>53303208
It's bait because it's a lie.
>>
world of the past 10 years according to "ssd is a meme" memers

>2006: SSDs are introduced and they only last 15 minutes for $800
>2008: stock exchange collapses due to SSD running its software
>2009: millions of people every day return all laptops that come with SSDs or just easier kill themselves. With the ssd itself
>2011: Hard drive welded straight onto SSD to make "high bird" drive which is ok for 15 minutes because it's using the HDD part but then the SSD on it explodes taking out the house
>2012: SSD price is still $800,0000,000.99.95 per GB and they last 30 minutes now
>2015: productivity grinds to a halt as all of the PCS in the world are sold with SSDs and all of the customers are so butthurt they have to keep restarting every 45 seconds to justify having an SSD because that's all they're good for
>2016: SSD companies infiltrate HDD companies (I don't mean employees I mean the actual SSD factory building slides secretly inside the HDD plant) and destroy all HDDs ever
>>
>>53295747
I bought my 128gb SSD three years ago, and there's nothing wrong with it yet. Maybe you got a defective one?
>>
>>53296011
Counter point:

1 - Copies everywhere, real data even gets lost in a sea of shit.

2 - Except if one is ONLY trying to safeguard against drive failures

3 - USB drive in a safe deposit box or something will work

4 - Non-tested backups are worse than none at all.
>>
>>53295747
kek op your a fucking loser, ive been using my samsung ssd since the early 90s and its never gave me a single problem!
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.