[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Aight /g/, I already heard enough bad things about this. I just
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 3
File: osx_yosemite-finder-view.jpg (347 KB, 1832x1148) Image search: [Google]
osx_yosemite-finder-view.jpg
347 KB, 1832x1148
Aight /g/, I already heard enough bad things about this. I just want to hear the good ones. I just want you to tell me -why- would you use this instead of Windows or Linux. No bias here. Just want your opinions.

Also, why some people still use mavericks to this day, like people who still use Windows 7. That I never actually understood.
>>
>instead of Windows
Because it's much better in every way except for software availability (games).
>or Linux
I wouldn't, Linux lets me do more stuff.
>>
>>53292683
Well, you could argue that it does have some games and things like the Adobe suite are available there unlike linux. It's kind of a middle ground.
>>
Plantain Linux
>>
>>53292683
What kind of stuff do you do?

I wanted to transition so many times and I found that no matter how much I try I can't use my PC for more than enjoying media (music and film), browsing the web and school/work (coding, PDF viewing and Office work).
>>
>>53292739
Wanted to transition? Damn, progressives these days.

Anyways, with the stuff that you do normally it seems that there's nothing a simple linux distro wouldn't handle in your case. It's usually games and graphic design that's lacking.
>>
>>>53292683 (You)
>What kind of stuff do you do?
CS student, develop some stuff. I went from using Windows, to dual-booting Linux for work, to using both equally and now I literally only keep Windows for gaming. I have a laptop with Fedora, a server with Ubuntu and a desktop dual-booting Fedora and Windows (will move to Arch when I can spare the time).
>I wanted to transition so many times and I found that no matter how much I try I can't use my PC for more than enjoying media (music and film), browsing the web and school/work (coding, PDF viewing and Office work).
What else is there? Games? Seems to me that Linux does everything you want just fine.
>>
Really good font rendering
Good built in software
God tier trackpad
Le UNIX based, so great battery life
>>
>>53292946
I'm going to agree with the trackpad. It's black magic. I don't like Apple much but to deny its quality is being plain retarded.
>>
I've seen people using terminals a lot with this. Almost as if they were just using another linux distro.
>>
>>53293018
it's patented technology they bought. no mystery about it.
>>
>>53292916
>>53292871
But like, what seems to be the catch?

Why should I transition from Windows to Linux if I don't gain anything? I don't get it.

It just seems to be additional work for no gain.
>>
>No bias here. Just want your opinions.
in that case i won't bias it towards good things
i used yosemite for a while when it came out. it had a lot of settings forced on (like inertial scrolling and mouse acceleration) that make it really difficult to use. the window management kind of sucks and i don't think they expect people to maximize\fullscreen applications, which confuses me. there are too many extravagant UI animations and it makes using the whole thing feel slow. it's much easier to use linux in conjunction with windows, because linux can read and write to NTFS drives, whereas OSX can't, so if you want to exchange data with a windows machine, you have to use FAT32. the whole operating system feels slow and it takes longer to start up and do things than windows and linux. finally, some of the default applications (e.g. safari) are terrible.

on the good side, i thought it was aesthetically very pleasing (much more so than iOS) and i very much liked the file manager
>>
>>53293262
What's the catch? Well, let's see.

Doesn't really fuck with your privacy -as much- (don't listen to people who say you can just install a linux distro and be safe from everything)

You have some other software

A lot more customization without having to rely on shady shit that stops working after an update

Good font rendering, good scaling

Might have a better performance, remember that there are distributions out there that are made to run on 90s computers even today

That said, there's not much else. Honestly I'd switch for some of these reasons, but I hate to have to do tricky shit to run specific software and dual booting is not optimal so I have to kinda stay on windows.

Or try hackintosh. That'd work for me too. Maybe.
>>
>>53293274
Let's say that you used linux alongside windows and had some secondary hard drive where you kept everything except these systems.

Knowing that to be fair, NTFS is an inferior file system, would you just use that since there are virtually no issues on linux?
>>
>>53293345
>Doesn't really fuck with your privacy -as much-
Yeah, I'm ok. I go outside, use ATMs and eat supermarket food. I'm not a freak about those things like I've seen some people are.
>You have some other software
But if I'll have to use different software wouldn't it be dumb to change the OS, the thing used just for running the software I use? It's like it's defeating it's own purpose.
>Good font rendering, good scaling
I'm not an advanced user, I use 2x1080p screens so I have no problems scaling. I don't know what's font rendering because I don't do graphic design (if you could explain it to me in a few sentences I'd be grateful).
>Better performance
I am interested in this, I'm running only an Intel Pentium dual core which, albeit it's only a year old is lacking in performance.

And I don't get your hackingtosh suggestion, it seems to be even more work than not changing anything (still I don't gain anything if I switch to it).
>>
>>53292583
I don't use OSX regularly, but I use it at work sometimes.

>The good
Terminal
Spotlight
Reinstalling is easy as fuck
Trackpad
Font rendering

However, Linux allows me to do all of this except the trackpad, but on any hardware I want and is more customizable, which is why I use Linux at home.
>>
>>53293442
>Yeah, I'm ok. I go outside, use ATMs and eat supermarket food. I'm not a freak about those things like I've seen some people are.
There's a difference in being aware and being obsessed.

>But if I'll have to use different software wouldn't it be dumb to change the OS, the thing used just for running the software I use? It's like it's defeating it's own purpose.
For general purpose computer usage, the software available on Linux usually does the job better. Graphic design and video editing is an exception. Games that run on both Windows and Linux usually run the same or better on Linux.

>I don't know what's font rendering because I don't do graphic design (if you could explain it to me in a few sentences I'd be grateful).
It's basically how your OS draws text. The quality of the font rendering affects how crisp and smooth text looks in most applications, browsers and generally in the UI. OSX and Linux does this a lot better than Windows.

>I am interested in this, I'm running only an Intel Pentium dual core which, albeit it's only a year old is lacking in performance.
Try any lightweight distro and you'll notice a major improvement. Stay away from anything using KDE, and try finding something with XFCE like Xubuntu.
>>
>>53293370
>Knowing that to be fair, NTFS is an inferior file system, would you just use that since there are virtually no issues on linux?

Not him, but yes. I keep a 500GB NTFS partition to share files between my Mint and Windows dualboot.
>>
>>53293442
>I'm not a freak about those things like I've seen some people are.

At least you should be aware that there are varying degrees of privacy. You don't want to be a hermit and I get that. But I don't think "normal people" would want to deal with their whole lives depending on servers tracking them. The more you accept it and "get over it", the worse it gets.

That said many of the more paranoid people use smartphones, so that's that.

>But if I'll have to use different software wouldn't it be dumb to change the OS, the thing used just for running the software I use? It's like it's defeating it's own purpose.

You could find better software, or more down to your preference. Sure enough plenty of it is "multiplatform" but still everyone has their own preferences. I'd love to have a different desktop environment on Windows that wasn't some old shit maintained by russians.

>I don't know what's font rendering because I don't do graphic design (if you could explain it to me in a few sentences I'd be grateful).

Font rendering has nothing to do with graphic design. A font rendering engine is in charge of how fonts look globally on your screen. If you want to notice differences between how fonts look with different engines, try using something like internet explorer and chrome alongside with the same page open. You may notice a few differences in how fonts look. You can tweak this on linux all you want, while on Windows you're stuck without being able to change much, or install some software that might break your fonts under specific software just to make them look better on anything else.

>I'm running only an Intel Pentium dual core which, albeit it's only a year old is lacking in performance.

A year old...? In any case, if you're not using a weird cheap tablet with windows your hardware will most likely benefit in terms of performance. Xubuntu for instance would run nicely on that. Shit's very, very quick and responsive.
>>
>>53292946
>UNIX based

You mean literally UNIX.
>>
Just works, like Windows.
UNIX-like, like Linux.
MS office and Adobe suite, like windows.
Looks good, too.

It has the best of Windows and Linux with some quirks (shitty fs, SIP, hotkeys are wtf), though.
>>
>>53293618
>Games that run on both Windows and Linux usually run the same or better on Linux.

I'd like to interject for a moment

What you're referrin- I mean aside from shit like Xonotic that's not entirely accurate. For more current games which have been either ported later to linux or straight released on both systems, it's usually either lower performance or close to equal. Hell I play quite a bit of CS:GO and at this point I think AMD open source drivers are quite developed, at least compared to the shit we're facing on windows, yet I'm not getting better performance on linux. It's very, very similar but not better.

Then you have shit like The Witcher 2. I get that the people in charge of porting that were pretty silly, but to mark that as something that "works perfectly on linux" is an insult. I wouldn't blame it on the OS or drivers though.
>>
>>53292583
To impress girls.
>>
>>53293442
Windows really is shit. It's performance is garbage. So is OS X. Linux runs like a dream. You need to try it yourself before you start making excuses.
>>
>>53292583
- smart enough not to use windows
- not smart enough to get a reasonably-priced computer and install linux on it

alternatively;
- doesn't need a computer, but heard owning a mac will land them more dick
>>
>>53294542
How is OS X shit but Linux runs like a dream? They're both Unix-like.
>>
>>53293618
>Games that run on both Windows and Linux usually run the same or better on Linux.
It has been tested numerus times (the last time with supposedly gaming distro , steam OS) and that is simply not true.
>>
>>53293734
Its not Unix-like, it IS Unix.
>>
>>53294610
UNIX is a trademark, Unix is an operating system.

It's like the operating system Unix, but it isn't Unix. (the kernel is even called XNU - X is Not Unix)
It is, however, certified UNIX by those who own the trademark.
>>
>>53294604
>They're both Unix-like.
yea, but they're largely-independant clones

they /resemble/ the same thing, but they're otherwise very different, and share little common code
>>
>>53294714
But what differences make OS X shit and Linux run like a dream?
>>
>>53293274
> linux can read and write to NTFS drives, whereas OSX can't
I forgot about this. It's fucking insane
>>
>>53292583
It does have some interesting features not available elsewhere. The ability to run multiple OSes at the same time with acceptable (~20%) performance losses, for instance. I'm talking real emulation with games and such, no typical VMs with 90% framerate losses. Retina displays are kind of unique too.
But that's it. Even the interface, despite having several interesting things to it, is garbage.
>>
>>53294742
OS X can read by default, and write with a kernel extension. It's no different than a Linux system without the NTFS kernel module.
>>
>>53294774
bottom line is that if you plug an NTFS external HDD into a Macbook PRO you can't write to it, and about 1% of Macbook users will know how to fix it
>>
File: .png (243 KB, 452x456) Image search: [Google]
.png
243 KB, 452x456
>>53294786
> TL;DR install Gentoo
>>
>>53294754
I'm ok with the interface. I just wonder if it would be better on a computer (as hackintosh) while also trying to use windows software like games.

I mean a better experience than something like WINE, that is.
>>
>>53294786
You just have to go to the app store and install one of the apps that provide such a kernel extension. On the other hand, if someone has a Linux setup without the kernel module enabled they need to recompile the entire thing because of the monolithic design.
>>
>>53294824
Yeah, hackintosh is better than an actual Apple desktop\laptop because the hardware isn't downclocked to make you buy a new device with every new OSX version. And it's not overpriced either.
But I might be wrong because I only used a few iMacs and a MBA.
>>
>>53292583
image, audio and video editing /thread

fyi i use all three for what they are used for (dos for games, OS X for productivity and linux for development)
>>
For iOS / OSX app development. This is the only reason I use one at work.
>>
>>53294844
>apt-get install <module>
>modprobe <module>
>>
>>53294844
Question:

Is there an app there that allows to use a PS3 controller with OSX on bluetooth?

It's a fucking chore to manage that on linux.
>>
It makes life easy as a software dev. Desktop Linux isn't stable enough for real dev work and support would be a nightmare for IT.

As for mavericks, people keep it for the UI/stability. It's familiar and less buggy than the current stable release, much like Windows 7.
>>
>>53294925
You don't need an app, the vanilla OS X bluetooth manager supports it.
>>
>>53294646
Systems that comply with the single unix specification are called UNIX or Unix, the open group certification specifically says so.
Unix-like is only used for systems that are not fully compliant to the specification (e.g. linux)
>>
>>53294939
>Linux not stable
topkek
>>
>>53292683
>every way

Kek. Macfags are so delusional they think their file system is superior.
>>
>>53294955
Huh. That's neat. Weird that something like that would work out of the box and not NTFS writing but still that kinda makes me want to try that shit.
>>
>>53292583
because it isn't fucking garbage at workflow management like Windows.
>>
There's a reason Linux users are always having to fix shit. Desktop Linux is a mess.
>>
>>53294986
He's right though. Linux IS unstable on the desktop front. There's like a dozen DEs, WMs, and other desktop applications which are constantly updating standards, chasing after "NEW PARADIGM OF DESKTOP COMPUTING!!" styles, there's software and community splintering, conflicting standards, new standards, incompatibility even on the lowest toolkit level, etc. If you download a desktop *nix distro, there is no guarantee that even the keybindings you use will be the same in a year, much less anything else. It's a completely unstable environment.
>>
>>53295039
I installed Gent~ I mean Ubuntu and never had a single problem with it. Really. All drivers were already there except that I had to select the proprietary Nvidia driver.
I didn't even run into the "We're sorry, Plasma closed unexpectedly" problem. Luck or Linux is getting better?
>>
>>53295106
It may have gotten better in the last couple years. I just remember not being able to update or install anything via terminal without entering dependency hell. I felt like I was fixing shit 90% of the time. My job gave me a macbook for dev and I spent all of 1hr setting things the way I want them and installing utilities like homebrew. I haven't had to mess with it since, even after updating the OS. I had serious reservations about OSX before using for productivity, but it's now my environment of choice for getting shit done. I still do windows for games and Linux for tinkering at home.
>>
>>53295085
Was thinking of the other kind of instability, but thats actually true yeah.
Especially Gnome pulls off a lot of stupid shit.
>>
>>53294971
>the open group certification specifically says so
The open group certification only says UNIX, not Unix.

UNIX and Unix-like are not mutually exclusive. OS X is both UNIX and Unix-like.
>>
>>53295224
I also had the exact same experience on an Intel Atom netbook with Mint back in 2011. It literally worked out-of-the-box with Flash and a MP3 codec preinstalled, I didn't have to do anything to configure it. The Intel video driver was already there, too. Maybe it's not Linux getting better, but other OSes getting worse with all that proprietary bloatware adding up.
>>
>>53292716
Linux DOES have some games as well, nowadays and Photoshop runs under WINE.
>>
>>53292583
>I just want you to tell me -why- would you use this instead of Windows or Linux. No bias here. Just want your opinions.
There's no "instead". OS X on my rMBP, Linux on my workstation.
>>
>>53295385
Super Tuxcart is all you need
>>
>>53295385
I'd rather have the native thing to be fair. Already tried CS6 and it wasn't optimal.
>>
>>53295411
This man has it figured out
>>
Thought I'd try hackintosh and now I literally cannot go back. Its better than Windows in every conceivable way apart from SHITTY window management (solved with Spectacle) and SHITTY performance in available games (can be solved by dualbooting or growing up). It's a great OS with a thousand little gimmicks what make using it a pleasure.
Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.