[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Mac to PC
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 7
File: windows-to-mac-header.jpg (89 KB, 600x350) Image search: [Google]
windows-to-mac-header.jpg
89 KB, 600x350
Moving from 2010 School issue white macbook to e460 Thinkpad (i5, 250gb ssd, 8gb ram, 2gb gfx, 1920x1080 IPS)

What sorta apps should I be using? Also what is /g/s thoughts on free anti-virus?
>>
>>53290685
Gentoo
>>
>>53290696
planning on staying on windows 10
>>
>>53290685
>>53290710
gtfo
>>
>>53290710
prepare to get rekt in this thread for that comment my man. im gonna pray for your soul. :^(
>>
>>53290710

AOMEI backupper. It's a disk cloning program so you can restore from a nice configured system partition instead of being forced to go through a factory install or use restore point which doesn't work. Once you get your computer nice and organized and configured make the backup.
>>
File: adobe.png (29 KB, 231x468) Image search: [Google]
adobe.png
29 KB, 231x468
>>53290685
What a stupidly pointless question. What programs you use depends on what you need done.

Like Lmihamatchi, SCP, xboxstat and CSM are essential to me as well as notepad++ but you most likely have no use for them. 3rd party anti virus is a joke also
>>
>>53290761

>advising to subtract an extra layer of protection
>>
>>53290723
>>53290725
>>53290761

fuck installing another OS, i use my computer for applications and productivity, not shilling my soul to linux to be different
>>
>>53290710
don't use apps from the store
disable cortana
never use edge
commonsense is your best antivirus
>>
>>53290790
>i use my computer for applications and productivity
both reasons to NOT use W10 for these purposes
>>
>>53290775
>3rd party anti virus
>green texting in this manner
talk properly.(ad homo over)

3rd party anti virus generally doesn't add anything benefitial. If you required real time protection you're probably not just running a general rig.

Stuff like norton hogs resources and doesnt actually provide additional protection

MSE is all you need and can do regular scans. If your downloading sketchy files then go ahead and get a file scanner but they often report false positives.

I could go on but point made
>>
>>53290791
>commonsense
If you had common sense you wouldn't be using Windows.
>>
File: Sootopolis_City_Adventures.png (543 KB, 840x1177) Image search: [Google]
Sootopolis_City_Adventures.png
543 KB, 840x1177
>>53290790
read again, i never advised against another OS and posted only windows programs, how does the screenshot not imply that anyway
>>
>>53290800

>3rd party anti virus generally doesn't add anything benefitial

cite? you did your own survey for that information? Just because adblocks have become first line of defense and prevent most people being misled to bullshit malware doesn't mean something wont' slip by, especially when it comes to usbs where adblocks aren't around to work. Just because you are computer savvy enough to use your common sense to stay safe doesn't mean everyone else is. Your common sense isn't his common sense, but I think you're too stupid to realize that.

>Stuff like norton hogs resources and doesnt actually provide additional protection

Who's advising Norton? and a lot of computers nowadays have the resources to handle decent non-bloat antiviruses without being bogged down.

>MSE is all you need

That's an antivirus dumb shit and when did I ever suggest it wasn't an acceptable antivirus?
>>
>>53290832
you posted adobe suite? basics.

>>53290829
>>53290796
sell me onto linux. there's so many incompatibilities with it, why would you bother?
what are you guys using gentoo for that you can do better than windows can?
>>
Macs are pcs
>>
>>53290880

Are pcs macs?
>>
File: B25401_01_standard.jpg (20 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
B25401_01_standard.jpg
20 KB, 500x500
>>53290851
Learn to read and stop speaking so vulgar,

I said 3rd party anti virus. Microsoft isnt a 3rd party. Additionally its free

>1.

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&ved=0ahUKEwjjqbzpqaTLAhVFUZQKHTAsB_EQFgg1MAM&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.nccgroup.trust%2Fglobalassets%2Four-research%2Fuk%2Fwhitepapers%2F2013-01-09_-_the_demise_of_signature_based_antivirus_final.pdf&usg=AFQjCNGzaE2yQueQbWJj7MqwU-IaVgeo9A

http://securitywatch.pcmag.com/security/323973-is-antivirus-software-ineffective

>2.
Resource is not the point, and your point goes against the specs that OP posted

https://www.raymond.cc/blog/which-free-antivirus-is-the-lightest-on-system-memory-usage/

>3.
see above

why are you so angry, seriously. ignore image
>>
>>53290790
>another troll tread made so that some autistic kid could express his opinion and anger
dropped
>>
>>53290870
Package manager. That should be enough. The sad thing is, you're so wincucked you probably don't even know what that is.
>>
File: 7d561118.jpg (77 KB, 491x450) Image search: [Google]
7d561118.jpg
77 KB, 491x450
>>53290870
>you posted adobe suite? basics.
what do you mean, seriously what does that mean. Did you even read my post. Dropped.
>>
>>53290896

I'm not angry. I would have figured anybody on 4chan would have learned to not take insults personally.

>Microsoft isnt a 3rd party

Fair enough, but the install is an extra download not included with the OS. And pretty much all standard decent antiviruses have a free version and the consensus is that they do a better job at detection than MSE.

How does my point go against his specs? he's got a quad core CPU with 8 GB of ram and a 250 GB of SSD space, he's got plenty of resources to run an antivirus and choke his PC.
>>
>>53290685
>Apps
On PC they are called programs, or on a more general sense, software. but what you're looking for are programs or utilities.

networking: Firefox+ABP, Opera, TOR Browser, Thunderbird, Filezilla, and because you will need to communicate, Pidgin and Skype. Qbittorrent too.
then the MAIN browser remains a thing of tastes but don't use IE. ever. Delete its shortcut to avoid mistakes or mongs using it.

Multimedia, VLC, Audacity, Infrarecorder(to backup or copy shit on DVD), Winamp.

Productivity: Apache OpenOffice. Or LibreOffice if you really think Larry Elison is haram. stay the fuck away from MS shit. Notepad++, Kompozer, to make simple web pages, but you might as well obtain Dreamweaver for litterally nohing if you're smart.

Same for all creativity stuff. Photoshop. Illustrator, Flash, Paint Tool Sai, Krita, Blender, Scribus, Inkscape,Mspaint or QuarkXPress.

Utilities essentially:7zip, sharpkeys, dosbox. there's a shitton of them. might also try some dank themes or windows skins, there's a lot on deviant.

Use commonsense rather than an antivirus. You can already download everything you need for windows and more on Sourceforge.net, or Oldversion.com for more vaporwave. confirmed clean, cause most other download sites bundles adware. you do not install adware either. whenever you stumble on a site that asks you to download a .EXE .COM .BAT .PIF .SCR file, or if you get them on your email, you click "cancel".

Backcup your system from times to times. like; on the cheapest 1TB USB drive then keep it on a bookshelf.
>>
>>53290851
this isn't a support forum, it's basically common sense or gtfo. if you're too dumb to tell the difference between miley_cyrus.mp3 and miley_cyrus.mp3.exe then you should leave

stop trying to be rational, go to reddit if you want people to take you seriously and argue with you
>>
>>53290923

>and not choke his pc
>>
File: 1441984053393.jpg (27 KB, 351x464) Image search: [Google]
1441984053393.jpg
27 KB, 351x464
>>53290923
how can you post this without citing when you requested sources yourself, [insulting word].

l8r
>>
>>53290870
just use windows
the linux community has enough annoying stupid people already
>>
>>53290955

You bruise too easily
>>
>this thread
OP, you're supposed to listen to the teacher, not shitpost here.
>>
>>53290923
>>53290870
>>53290851
>>53290790
>>53290685
Underage b8.
>>
>>53290950

Telling someone else what they should be doing and what they shouldn't be doing, as if it really made a difference in your life. You're the dumb fuck that gets sucked into threads you don't like, it's not his fault, he didn't bring you in here.

How bout this, if you're too stupid to avoid getting into a thread you dislike then you shouldn't be on 4chan.
>>
>>53290958
This. Linux coulmd be good but just today:
>Boot on a PointLinux DVD to make a backup of my windows laptop to an ext drive as always.
>specify that the Pc must NEVER shutdown, hibernate or powersave on power options and all.

>come back, screen's on standby.

5 minutes ago i wanted to report that bug, that the power scheme won't apply,
>"NO WAY it's not a BUG, if you don't use a computer why do you want it to stay up all day and all night? Muh trees and carbon shitlord!
that's the philosophy. you have to adapt to their logic, as it's the opposite, the PC must adapt to your logic and nothing else.
>>
>>53291010
So much for freedums ;)
>>
>>53290685
>school issued macbook
only in amerika
>>
>>53290685
fuck av get linux
>nobody can write a virus because it would have to fetch and configure hundreds of dependencies to get itself working
>nobody can write a trojan and trick people into installing it because it's hard as shit to install anything that isn't in the official repos
>nobody can write a keylogger because nobody understands the xorg input subsystems well enough
>nobody can exploit any kernel vulnerabilities because they're too afraid of making torvalds angry
>nobody can exploit X vulnerabilities because anything they do will probably just break it
>nobody can exploit userland vulnerabilities because they would have to look through GNU style source files to find any
>>
>>53290919
>tfw there will there be a libretto with modern internals
>>
>>53291069
top tier copypasta material :^)
>>
>>53291002
i don't dislike the thread, i dislike you
>>
>>53291132

Alrlight how about this, if you're too stupid to avoid communicating with someone you don't like then you shouldn't be on 4chan. Common sense. Also if you don't like interacting with stupid people stay off 4chan.
>>
>>53291010
desu this never happens on my computer, looks like you just missed some sort of configuration or your gui didn't have the right options
>>
>>53291139
why should i avoid communicating with someone i don't like?
>>
>>53290851
MSE *IS* all you need you computer illiterate dumb cunt.
Why don't you go install AOL already.
>>
>>53290685
>apps
>anti-virus software
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.