[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
linux to revive an old laptop
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 3
File: logo-puppy.png (60 KB, 320x320) Image search: [Google]
logo-puppy.png
60 KB, 320x320
>Processor : 2x Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU T2330 @ 1.60GHz

>Memory : 1018MB (348MB used)

Running Tahrpup, but puppy linux is not my jam, and jwm is wonky
>>
What about parted magic?
I think it uses PacManFM
>>
I used to have a single-core 1.6GHz with 1.5GiB RAM, Fedora with LXDE worked like a charm.
>>
>>53289990
Puppy Linux sucks cock. Debian or Xubuntu is pretty solid, great support. They aren't very leet, but they work. Also, take the time to learn a lightweight WM.
>>
>>53290282
>Puppy Linux sucks cock
Explain.
>>
>>53290282
My laptop only used 220 mbs with Xubuntu and i3.
>>
>>53290295
No sudo, defaults to root for all programs, bad wiki with bad support, shitty package manager, shitty security, ITS UGLY AS HELL. It does have decent utilities to start off, but the menus and utilities are cryptically named, very bad for beginners. It has a weird mixture of bloat and non bloat that is just off putting.

If you want a lightweight distro based on busy box, I suggest Alpine Linux (also no systemd). But don't try any off-brand distros unless you are comfortable compiling your own software. Stick with Debian/Ubuntu or Arch if you want to feel leet.
>>
>>53289990
You could use practically anything aside from the heavier stuff.

Like:
Lubuntu vs Xubuntu
Minimum RAM to run without desktop: 50-60 MB vs 192 MB
Minimum RAM to run desktop: 224 MB vs 512 MB
Recommended minimum RAM to run: 384 MB vs 512 MB
>>
>>53290348
>Alpine
Why not porteus?
>>
>>53290282

Seriously, it hangs at every shit even if you look at it, My fan is always running hot, geez, what's wrong with it?

I wanted to revive this for my dad, and he was like why does this shit hang so much? All he did was read the fucking news on it.

Eh, got him a tablet, but still want to keep this, the machine is solid, despite the dated specs.

>>53290390

So lubuntu?

looks window-ie, will keep dad happy.
>>
>>53290572
If you want more pre-installed software and other stuff on top of basic Lubuntu, check out LXLE.
>>
Xubuntu desu senpai.
>>
great, I can't dd an iso on to my memory card in puppy linux. fuck this shit.
>>
>>53289990
OpenBSD'll run beautifully
>>
>>53290928
sempai pls, i'm not unleashing openbsd on my dad
>>
>>53290960
Hel'll thank you
>>
>>53289990
>using puppy linux on a dual core machine

nigga u retarded
>>
>>53290983

agree, desu i'm an accountant not a CS guy, I bought into the "hey look, we light as a pup" meme.

never again
>>
>>53290999
nice meme buddy
>>
>>53290419
Sure. That works too. Alpine just uses musl, as opposed to glibc. Better security and a better library in my opinion, so I shill.
>>
>>53290572
It was designed for a use case no one has, and stitched together rather than relying on an available system.
>>
and of course, my laptop's bios cannot boot from an mmc, why did I think it would be so easy...
>>
>>53291281
Just burn a CD, so hard
>>
>>53291294

Can't be arsed to find a burnable CD, don't know where the spindle is. Also, bro took my USB or it would have been easy
>>
So I find a CD, windows, er I mean puppy crashes. yay

Restart, iso a few mbs bigger than CD, wtf lubuntu?

Not that the CD is in any writable state anyways.
>>
Use Lubuntu, remove everything you don't need.
32 bit uses around 130 meg.
Unbeatable for functionality vs memory usage.
Puppy was great 10 years ago but Barry has chucked in the towel and I can't get 3G working when it's a doddle in lubuntu.
>>
>>53293726

That was the plan, but the normal 'CD' iso is 747 MB, so infact NOT a CD burnable image.

Found out there is an "alternate" iso, that's 654 mb, downloading that.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Lubuntu/Alternate_ISO

I just don't have a fucking flash drive right now, or else shit would be over
>>
>>53293726
let alone 3G, you can't even change screen brightness in it!

The setting IS there, cause if you fiddle with acpi_brightness, it changes light, but it won't recognise any gui or shortkeys.
>>
>>53293764
There is a minimal ISO
Install that then add Lubuntu desktop.
Else use alternate. Main difference is an ncurses rather than graphical interface.
>>
Debian with lxde or xfce.
>>
>>53289990
Took me a while to figure out it's tux2 with a puppy face.
>>
>>53293764
>Not using Xubuntu
You fucked up.

[spoiler]jk you're fine, the performance will suffer, but your dads usability is more important[/spoiler]
>>
Finally got a working cd, burning and then pulling the trigger
>>
File: IMG_20160303_223954.jpg (2 MB, 3200x2368) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160303_223954.jpg
2 MB, 3200x2368
Aww, ncurses. The last time i used it was with those two free ubuntu cds they sent you, hedgehog iirc.
>>
Salix, SliTaz and VectorLinux come to mind. Wikipedia has a few other lightweight choices listed: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightweight_Linux_distribution

>>53290233
>What about parted magic?

As far as I know, it can be installed and used as an everyday distribution. So why not?
>>
I wouldn't recommend an Ubuntu derivative. Xubuntu and even Lubuntu are pretty bloated despite opting for lighter DEs. I guess that depends on how much of a toaster oven you're working with.

Something like Salix OS will give you all the software you need for everyday tasks, and probably isn't anywhere near as resource intensive as Xubuntu. I have Salix with Fluxbox installed on my Presario laptop. The laptop has under 1 GB RAM, and I think the CPU is a Celeron clocked around 1 GHz. Works great and doesn't drain my battery.
>>
>>53289990
archbang
>>
>>53295199
>archbang

Not recommended. It uses a retarded and sloppy installation script that's worded incoherently and fails to install the system 9/10 times. I'm assuming OP doesn't want to jump through hoops.
>>
>>53295189

Ahwell, I've pulled the trigger on lubuntu, lets see. Maybe next time.
>>
>>53295310
Agree, i maybe a nerd but I'm still just an accountant, plus this is for dad. Just need a facebook machine essentially.

DESU I got him the tablet for that, so more like a libre-office machine, for when he wants to type and print letters or whatever.
>>
File: IMG_20160303_231636.jpg (2 MB, 3200x2368) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160303_231636.jpg
2 MB, 3200x2368
Alright, let's see what you guys have convinced me to install.
>>
lxde and xfce will both fit on there, so i'd go with any lxde or xfce based distro. i would recommend lubuntu, xubuntu or debian with xfce or lxde
>>
>>53289990
gentoo
>>
>>53289990
Toss ubuntu oh there? it should have a single issue running Ubuntu...
>>53290282
>Puppy Linux sucks cock
Puppy linux is based, delete this.
>>
>look ma, two applications running at once, without having a seizure!

lubuntu seems to be working tons better than puppy, despite the low resources.

let's give this a day and see how much I cry.

thanks /g/

----

>>53295637

dank meme
>>
>>53295674
I really liked puppy, but it disappointed me when I needed it the most.
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.