[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This is how you put thermal paste, right?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 7
File: thermal_paste.jpg (53 KB, 848x465) Image search: [Google]
thermal_paste.jpg
53 KB, 848x465
This is how you put thermal paste, right?
>>
just go to you tube and see it for yourself
>>
Pea-sized blob on the CPU and press the cooler down while wiggling it gently from side to side.
>>
>>53281275
pretty much this
>>
File: grain.jpg (10 KB, 166x82) Image search: [Google]
grain.jpg
10 KB, 166x82
>>53281208
Wheres the Mayo?
>>
>>53281208
Yes, this is the correct method.
>>
>>53281208
Looks rather like old thermal paste that's about to get removed
>>
File: MSI.webm (3 MB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
MSI.webm
3 MB, 640x480
>>53281208
>>
>>53283745
I wonder if the guy has received his "I really do not care about my job" award yet.
>>
>>53283745
Somebody had to green light the shot. That's actually worse.
>>
File: Selection_012.png (44 KB, 672x467) Image search: [Google]
Selection_012.png
44 KB, 672x467
>>
>>53281208
It doesn't fucking matter
>>
>>53282746
Yes. He literally has a cleaning pad in his hand. OP is an idiot.
>>
Do people still tint the CPU and heatsink with paste? You start with a brand new CPU and/or heatsink, put a little bit of paste on and spread it out, then wipe it off completely, leaving a "tinted" color from the paste?

Everyone did that several years ago but nobody talks about it anymore.
>>
>>53284246
IBM?
>>
>>53284274
Probably because all of the idiots who did that died in electrical fires.
>>
>>53283745
>"hey Gary, want to help us make an instructional video for our how-to channel?"
>"Sure, what do I have to do?"
>"Oh, just show how to put thermal compound on the CPU and install the heatsink? You've put together your own pc right?"
>"Oh no, I paid the store to put mine together. I'm a fast learner though, let's do it!"
>"Ok, it's pretty easy. Just squeeze a bit out onto the CPU, spread it with this card and put the heatsink on top."

>alright, here we go. just squeeze it out... is that enough? should be good. alright, let's spread it out
>oh god, it's thicker than I thought it was. no problem, just turn the card around and spread it the other way.
>oh no, I used too much. now what? should I wipe some off? no, that wouldn't look good.
>how even does it need to be? is this good enough? nah, just another swipe or two with the card.
>oh god, this is taking too long isn't it? ok lets just throw this heatsink on top.
>they aren't saying anything
>must have done it right! that wasn't too hard.
>>
>>53284291
There's nothing wrong with it other than potentially wasting thermal paste. You're just putting the paste where you would normally put it, then wiping it off. The rationale was that the fact that it left a grey tint was proof that the paste was filling microscopic dips in the metal.

I'm sure someone at some point did an actual test on this and proved that it was bullshit. Hence why nobody does it anymore.
>>
Applying thermal paste is a lot like applying semen. Just spray it all over the place.
>>
>>53281208
thought the guy was snorting coke on top of the heat sink when i looked at it in the catalogue
>>
>>53284322
"tinting" = removing so much of the paste that you just applied so as to render it ineffective at what it's supposed to do
>>
>>53284366
After you wipe it off you reapply it like normal. The more I explain this the sillier it sounds. But I swear everybody used to do this.
>>
>>53284366
The concept was that you tint, then apply it as normal. The tinting was supposed to fill the microscopic depressions in the metal. It's as BS as it sounds, I'm surprised it was ever a thing.

On a side note, way too much thought goes into applying thermal paste. Just put it on the CPU, push the heatsink down on top of it, and move on with your life.
>>
>>53284310
Truly underrated post.
>>
>>53284246
oh yeah, I can easily eyeball fucking 20μL
>>
>>53281208
>>53281275
heatpipes are a bit of a special case.
>>
>>53283745

lol'd
>>
>>53281208
Yeah if you're retarded. Which is why IGN made that video.
>>
File: wut.jpg (20 KB, 379x264) Image search: [Google]
wut.jpg
20 KB, 379x264
>>53284406
>After you wipe it off you reapply it like normal.
>>
>>53286010
yep, just repeat that 10 or 15 times then go out and buy a new tube of paste.
>>
>>53283745
This is what I post if someone asks me why I refuse to buy MSI products.
>>
>>53286010
not him, but the theory is that the first application leaves a coating that helps the next coat conduct better.
>>
File: 1450759271225.jpg (22 KB, 350x262) Image search: [Google]
1450759271225.jpg
22 KB, 350x262
>>53286010
>mouthposting
>>
>>53285827
>oh yeah, I can easily eyeball fucking 20μL
Well, at least they tell you an easy way to figure out if you've fucked up. If you have less or more than half the syringe left, you fucked up.

I guess if you look at it that way, doing 1/18th a squeeze of the tube is a tiny bit easier than eyeballing 20 uL.

It's kind of a neat technique though, applying very, very small dots in nine places instead of a pea in the center.

What would be really nice is if they provided a clear tube with markers.
>>
>>53281208
>implying it even matters one bit

Just put some of the paste on the heatspreader and be fine with it. The cooler and the paste account for the thermals 99.5%. Thinking about how you apply the paste is a waste of time.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.