[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are the advantages of using Arch compared to other distros
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 8
File: 1451077860748.png (3 KB, 343x543) Image search: [Google]
1451077860748.png
3 KB, 343x543
What are the advantages of using Arch compared to other distros besides the "you have more control of your system" meme?
>>
>>53279856
learning the hard way
>>
The AUR and pacman.
>>
>>53279886
This, and you get to feel like a hacker (I'm being serious)
>>
>>53279856
>>53279886
if you dont want to be bothered with breaking everything and having control of your system distros as Manjaro also use pacman and the AUR.
>>
File: 1451598858782.png (20 KB, 736x547) Image search: [Google]
1451598858782.png
20 KB, 736x547
>>53279899
Why do you feel like a hacker? Please explain
>>
Why I should consider switching from Mint to Arch, besides "Mint is for retards" meme?
>>
>>53279877
I don't get why people keep saying Arch is hard to use, it is specificly designed to be simple.
Compared to a minimal install of other distros it is rather easy to use, the only inconvenience is the lack of an installer.
>>
>>53280230
Saying that Arch is difficult is a meme itself
>>
>>53280338
To be fair, installing it can be hard if you haven't done it before and don't have a second computer to open the guide.
>>
File: 1456813088806.png (411 KB, 465x683) Image search: [Google]
1456813088806.png
411 KB, 465x683
>>53280099
>sudo pacman -Syu
>screen flashes white and black as your packages update
>>
File: set_phasers_to_shut_up.jpg (48 KB, 490x368) Image search: [Google]
set_phasers_to_shut_up.jpg
48 KB, 490x368
>>53279877
No. I really hate seeing people say things like "if you use arch, you'll learn how *nix really works" because it's just not true. You don't even learn how to compile and configure your own packages from the source. If you want to learn how Linux really works, get a copy of Linux From Scratch and actually learn how it works.

People only say this shit about Arch because they're so uninformed that they think partitioning a hard drive without a GUI and installing a package manager is "learning Linux the hard way".
>>
File: 8======D.png (20 KB, 736x547) Image search: [Google]
8======D.png
20 KB, 736x547
>>53280099
there are at least 6,000,000 reasons why
>>
>>53280511
anon you're such a hooker edgy 1337
>>
>>53280549
I agree. But that doesn't mean arch is a bad distro.
>>
>>53279877
>>53279886
>>53279899
These
>>53279906
Dont listen to him
>>53279856
>>
>>53281013
Well. it clearly is.
Since you're not learning anything, they should have created a non-shit installer.
As a general rule, if the instructions on the screen aren't enough to install the distro - say like with Ubuntu Server - it's shit and my time is wasted here.
This rule applies for everyone except for sperglords.
>>
>>53279856
Whatever de/wm you chose either werks/looks nice out of the box and/or has detailed wiki instructions on how to make it so.
Consistent themes/appearance across multiple de/wm is covered in wiki too.
suse does kde nice. mint does cinnamon nice. etc.
Arch does whatever you want nice.
>>
>>53279886
Pretty much this. pacman is the fucking shit. I'm not even really into Linux, but pacman is fucking great.
>>
>>53279856
you can rice your desktop too look super-top-kek

everyone will think you're a power user, when in reality you're a NEET!
>>
>>53280549
Yeah. Arch is sort of in between.
There's bash scripts to semi-automate chrooting and setting up wifi and such.
If you already know how to do these things you might appreciate that, but you aren't really learning how you do those things from scratch, either.
>>
>>53280549
I am not uninformed about Arch, i have tried several other flavors and i am not new to arch.
>>53280549
>they think partitioning a hard drive without a GUI and installing a package manager is "learning Linux the hard way".
did i say learning Linux the hard way? no , i said learning which can be anything.

the other distros only push you to learn when (and if ) something breaks
i only knew what .bashrc or .xinitrc were until i first tried arch, because they were simply not there.

>>53280549
>You don't even learn how to compile and configure your own packages from the source.
how can you know that ? go back and see the thread about the neural-style , most who compiled it and (posted!) were arch users.

I'm not shilling for arch or saying it's superior, nope, i like to learn from my mistakes . once arch is not teaching me anything I'm ditching it.
LFS is on my to do list, once i know what every file in the /sys and /proc does what.
>>
File: gentoo.gif (3 MB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
gentoo.gif
3 MB, 640x360
>>53280230
Because if you're doing everything from scratch, you might as well grow some balls and use a real mans distro, gentoo.
>>
>>53279856
As a current Arch user who is about to install Manjaro within the next 1 hour let me tell you this.
Arch is great. I like a minimal system, so starting off with a base and building upwards was the best alternative to me.

Arch was my first experience with pacman. And Pacman(although it broke my current system with v5 because yaourt is stupid) is the best package manager I have ever tried. AUR is also nice. You always have the library or program you need only two commands away.

Why am I switching to Manjaro? Because my current system broke due to a poor organized file system. And Manjaro offers everything that I love about arch - pacman, AUR, rolling-release and its own repos. Also part of being a Linux user is to explore other distros.

I really like the high amount of customization and fast boot time in arch because I felt like I ahd more control in arch than in other distros thus making sure that I didn't have any unnecessary processes running.

Overall i would say that my Arch experience was awesome.
>>
>>53281928
Quick update. Turns out all I had to do to make my system runnign again was to uninstall package-query. Easy quick fix.
>>
>>53280158
Mint is awesome. My favorite Ubuntu distro. But I prefer arch because of the rolling release, pacman, AUR, and the community. there is never a problem on arch that can't be solved quickly by the help of the community. All the libraries you'd ever want and all the programs you would ever need is always only a few commands away.
>>
File: drakeing.jpg (8 KB, 129x60) Image search: [Google]
drakeing.jpg
8 KB, 129x60
>>53282090
>rolling release
Why does this all you NEET's dick hard?
>>
>>53282090
If mint had up to date and replete repository, it'd be pretty much ideal, but nope.
>>
from ubuntu user
bleeding edge > ancient packages
mpv 0.9.2, thank you very much apt-sensei!

Everything is so fucking old. Stable, yeah sure. Old, known, stable bugs, who needs those unstable fixes?
These days I compile most of my software from source anyway, because fuck your shitty packages.

And don't get me started on PPA crap. It's download-some-exe-from-internet-on-windows level.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (17 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
17 KB, 480x360
>you have more control of your system
>includes systemd by default
>>
>>53282941
systemd is like a cold.
everyone hates it when it is there, but everyone can get it! And it spreads!
>>
post more gondola
>>
>>53282863
>It's download-some-exe-from-internet-on-windows level.
At least it's automated once it's added to the repo, but yeah, probably more than half my stuff is ppa, just to stay uptodate. It's stupid and something needs to be reworked.
>>
>>53279856
Speaking as a Winbabby, Arch isn't even hard. If you're too lazy to follow the install guide then you still have like a dozen sub-distros/installers that do the hard work for you. Or even go for Manjaro, whatever. Maintaining the system is the same as any other Linux distro. About the only user-unfriendly part past the setting-up-everything point is that pacman's GUI managers kinda suck. As for AURs, I'd rather use a purely source based distro however, rather than rely on a bunch of kids attempting to hack the sources into something that has a 50% chance of working.

Currently trying to install Gentoo in virtualbox but genkernel keeps shitting up on me for some reason, I've used the correct stage tarball and everything though. Not sure whether I should bother messing around with it further though.
>>
Personally I enjoy the most recent packages since I'm a programmer, and there's no (rightful for servers) split between shared libraries and headers/development packages.

Also the AUR is filled with git/hg/whatnot packages if I need to develop with that kind of libraries or compilers.

The other good alternative for development would be Gentoo/Funtoo/exherbo, which I used for years, but I don't have the time to wait to compile every single thing anymore.

From a normal user perspective there's not much advantage other than more recent packages.
>>
>>53283049
>systemd is like a cold.

I'd say more like a virus or a cancer by the way it attaches itself to healthy system components turning them into dependencies as it spreads
>>
>>53280158
Move to manjaro, which is basically an arch-based mint
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.