[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is Linux so glorified here when it is complete SHIT? I had
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 7
File: serveimage.png (162 KB, 1110x1055) Image search: [Google]
serveimage.png
162 KB, 1110x1055
Why is Linux so glorified here when it is complete SHIT?

I had to download TEN different bloatware programs and FILL OUT A FUCKING FORM WITH MY PERSONAL INFORMATION just to receive the download link for one of them. All this just to compile a file. I then had to spend TWO HOURS compiling because there were literally hundreds of errors I needed to solve before it would work.

On Windows I would just need to hit download, run the installer and it would just fucking work.
>>
File: doges.jpg (95 KB, 700x525) Image search: [Google]
doges.jpg
95 KB, 700x525
>>53275067
first day, huh?
protip: you're doing it wrong
>>
>>53275067
Linux is easier to install than Windows in general.

>All this just to compile a file. I then had to spend TWO HOURS compiling because there were literally hundreds of errors I needed to solve before it would work.

Sounds like you fell for the Arch or gentoo meme. It is for troubleshooting entusiasts that has writing config files as a hobby. It is SUPPOSED to be tedious to install, that is the Whole point of it. It's for People who want to spend time fixing errors.

if you want something easy With no hassle then install ubuntu or mint. Even a illiterate that have never seen a computer before can install that, while he would have a hard time installing Windows.
>>
cool story, bro
>>
>>53275135
>ubuntu or mint
>amazon botnet or real botnet
>>
>>53275173
it's called "ubuntu" because literally the dumbest Negro in Africa can find the options on unity to turn of the Amazon stuff if they want

and mint is not more botnet than Arch or any other Linux
>>
>>53275067
Is it a meme to pretend package managers don't exist when complaining about installing Linux? Are there really this many retarded Windows users?

Assuming you're sincere, you have done everything wrong. You're right to stay on Windows because Linux is not for you.
>>
>>53275198
>Is it a meme to pretend package managers don't exist when complaining about installing Linux?

He probably installed Slackware
>>
>>53275135
pretty much this.
>>
>>53275193
>can find the options
No they can't, why do you think people are ditching the default Unity install?
>mint is not more botnet than Arch or any other Linux
Someone hasn't been following the news recently. Beside the botnet there are plenty of reasons to avoid mint. see https://lwn.net/Articles/676664/
>>
>>53275067
>On Windows I would just need to hit download, run the installer and have to deal with lots of malware because of my insecure system
ftfy
>>
>>53275297
>why do you think people are ditching the default Unity install?
because they want it to look different

>Someone hasn't been following the news recently

I have and the website is a different kind of Technology all together. Even CIA had their website hacked by some kids. If a car manufacturer have their website hacked would you og "I wont get one of their cars, their cars are not secure"? (yes you would, because you obviously have no grasp of cause and effect With Your magical thinking)
>>
>>53275067
Wtf did u download? I never had to fill out any forms or download ten bloatware progs to install linux. You fucked up bro
>>
>>53275135
Gentoo is not a meme. You just aren't smart enough to install it. Arch is a meme tho.
>>
yes linux is depreciated
yes op chose the wrong distro
yes windows is depreciated
>>
>>53275394
I agree with you with the first point, Unity is bloated as fuck. But your cars example is wrong. Linux Mint is a distro and its software is expected to be secure. Not only the website hack did put backdoored versions in the hands of beginners, but it puts a legitimate question on the global security of the software itself.

Truth is that the linux kernel, Mac OS X and Windows have both several security issues, they rely on broken libraries and we live in a security nightmare (besides OpenBSD), while a website hack is more dramatic.
>>
>>53275512
Having blood is depreciated. I live in a humanoid machine skeleton.
>>
File: 1456323936389.png (250 KB, 700x600) Image search: [Google]
1456323936389.png
250 KB, 700x600
>>53275067
>Newfag tries Linux for the first time
Kek it never gets old
>>
>>53276466
Building a website has almost nothing in common with building an OS
>>
>>53275067
I don't know what exactly you did, but I think you've been had.
>>
Windows master race
Linux is only for devices like the raspberry pi that is until it can support full windows
>>
File: 1451157144615.jpg (83 KB, 800x532) Image search: [Google]
1451157144615.jpg
83 KB, 800x532
>>53276486
>falling for the life meme
>>
Shills law:
The number of anti-linux threads on /g/ is inversely proportional to the quality of the latest windows release.
>>
>>53275297
>downloads BRIEFLY compromised

whew lad better tell everyone to NEVER EVER get anything ubuntu or canonical ever again
>>
>>53275135
Actually I've had a lot fewer hassles with Arch than something like OpenSUSE. Only connection can be annoying to troubleshoot.
>>
File: suika.jpg (34 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
suika.jpg
34 KB, 500x500
>>53275220
>what are pkgtools and slackpkg?
>but muh dependencies
>what are slapt-get and pkgsrc?
mfw you're probably just joking and I'm the real sperg
>>
>>53275067
If you're a beginner, start with Ubuntu. Afterwards, if you don't feel like it's for you, try another distro
>>
File: OP is stupid.gif (81 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
OP is stupid.gif
81 KB, 1024x768
>>53275067
>FILL OUT A FUCKING FORM WITH MY PERSONAL INFORMATION

OP, on a scale from Beavis all the way to Butthead, how fucking stupid are you?
>>
Judging by the fact that you had hundreds of compile errors in your program, you are probably just an idiot that follow instructions correctly.

I mean, come on, I'm not even a linuxfag, but I use Linux (Arch) occasionally to "compile stuff", like you and it's not even difficult.

He'll, yesterday I set up Arch on my brothers laptop. It took less than 30 min total.
>>
>>53275067
Take this up your ass>>53280696.
>>
>>53280726
*can't follow instructions
>>
>>53275193
Mint is a real shit. Qwerty keyboard at startup when you install an non qwerty one and configure a non English language.
Moreover its just a mix of debian and Ubuntu without the seriousness of theses distros.
>>
>>53275297
>download link compromised for a short period of time
>suddenly all existing install become unsafe
>>
File: 2042.gif (3 MB, 450x265) Image search: [Google]
2042.gif
3 MB, 450x265
>>53275297
>a wordpress website has been compromised
>hurr hurr mint is a botnet
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.