[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Quick CCNA overview?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 4
File: ccna.jpg (45 KB, 550x378) Image search: [Google]
ccna.jpg
45 KB, 550x378
I recently got an IT job. While no certification was needed, I kinda need to get a more formal education on networks. What material do you suggest for study?
>>
If you want a job that pays well then work through your Cisco qualifications...or Juniper quals
>>
>>53273848
I don't live in the US and it's a temporary job. If I could go through these 300 or so hours of training and get a reasonably paying job, I'd do it right away, but right now it's not worth it.
>>
>>53273891

If you don't want the cert just watch Jeremey's CBT Nuggets videos. He covers the major concepts
>>
>>53273799
If you want to get a job administering Cisco systems, start with the CCNA Study Guide by Todd Lammle. If you just want to learn about networking, get a generic book on computer networks.
>>
Read the official ICND1 and 2 certification guides from Cisco Press.
Enjoy 2000+ pages of reading pleasure.
>>
>>53273799
I like Odom Wendells ICND1 and ICND2 book. But I mostly used Cisco's netacad.

Things you need to know:
Subnetting like a mother fucker
Configuring VLANs
Static routing (also knowing how to summarize routes so a supernet)
OSPF
Access Control lists
Examining the arp table, packet switching, nat, ect...

I'm not sure how much you know about IT or networking. But if you have little practical experience in networking it'll probably be a lot of info to take in at once.
>>
>>53274595
nice thanks.
>>
File: 1281463676868.png (198 KB, 500x350) Image search: [Google]
1281463676868.png
198 KB, 500x350
>>53274595

>Subnetting

doesn't that require doing math in my head
>>
>>53275086

Yes, but once you get the hang of it it's really not hard.

VLSM, on the other hand...
>>
>>53273799
Learn the OSI model.
How link works.
How MAC addresses work.
How switches work.
How ARP works.
How IP addresses work.
How subnets work.
How routing works.
How TCP works.
How UDP works (or doesn't).

tcpipguide.com is quite good.
>>
get this
gns3.com

get these
http://sobek.su/Cisco/IOS/

get going
>>
>>53275086
no.. not if you memorize everything like I did

ipv4 is ez as fuck
>>
https://boubakr92.wordpress.com/2013/09/16/ccna-cheat-sheet-part-1/
>>
You guys are all missing the point.

OP needs to understand how networks work, not how to configure EIGRP on a 2700 with IOS 12.4.
>>
Is it worth getting CCNA if I'm currently getting a degree in Comp Sci?
>>
>>53273799
the ccna courses are on pdf literally anywhere. Read them.
>>
>>53276208
YES get a CCNP if possible. I'm doing compsci/infosys and every employer I've asked has told me to.
>>
>>53275628

yeah, I've got a question about troubleshooting EIGRP between 3 switches on my CCNA exam. It is a part on how the network works, cisco network but still.

>>53276208

yes if you're interested in networks.
>>
>>53275086
just binary calculations
it's not that hard once you figure it out.
fuck even converting hexadecimal is easy as fuck.
>>
>>53276341
> being this dumb
>>
>>53276440

then why the fuck he asks about CCNA you fucknut.

read a wiki, it's much cheaper that way.
>>
>>53276341
>troubleshooting EIGRP between 3 switches

i seriously hope you thought L3 switches
>>
>>53276462
Read the OP again, genius. He says he wants to know more about *networks* not about *Cisco*.

Whilst CCNA does teach networking, it also teaches a lot of vendor specific shit which is useless if you're not working with Cisco gear every day.

Network+ would probably be a better cert for OP to invest in. Or just follow >>53275424.
>>
>>53276479
Not him but i studied both Net+ and CCNA. I think even though it teaches you a lot of cisco proprietary stuff that CCNA (from Odom) is a better way to study networks than Net+ book.

Now if you said Tanenbaum or Kurose Network books then i'd say it's matter of preferences, because those two teach you a LOT of theory, maybe that's what OP wants
>>
>>53276475

I don't remember right now, middle switch had needed some config adjustments (iirc subnet mask was fucked)
>>
>>53276506

Dude, EIGRP is a routing protocol, switches don't configure EIGRP at all. If there's was a problem with that it was router problem, not switch. If switches had some problem than it certainly wasn't EIGRP
>>
>>53276503
+1 for Tanenbaum thats a good book for stuff
>>
>>53276503
Finally, someone around here who fucking gets it.
>>
>>53276566
I had a huge problem with that book, it's clearly a god book but man, it was too much theory for me plus examples were in C and i only know a little bit of c# so it was total fuckup for me
>>
File: 1440907851236.jpg (88 KB, 422x750) Image search: [Google]
1440907851236.jpg
88 KB, 422x750
>>53273799
all you need to know is know the difference between straight and cross cables then you are good to go.
>>
>>53276753
auto mdix nigga, there's no need for that anymore
>>
How do you actually learn MS certs, it's easy for cisco because books cover all the material but MS server certs are wack as fuck, they miss whole lot of stuff
>>
>>53276506
Good one pajeet, ya dun goofed.

Go back to your net+ studying.
>>
>>53276529
>>53277038

Naw, I remember a switch in the middle, two different vlans, EIGRP that worked only one way no passthrough between vlans since no adjacency was formed between routers/switches and fucked up subnet.
>>
>>53276753
it that a guy or girl?
i need to know
>>
>>53275310
Once you learn how to arrange the blocks and do it a few times you pretty much can do it in your head !
>>
>>53277219
That would be solved by entering correct data into routers, not switch

holy fuck do you even listen to yourself man, routing protocols are l3 technology, they don't have anything to do with switches
>>
>>53277281
What is OSI
>>
>>53277293
a model
>>
>>53277281

So it was 37xx catalyst, not like you can >sh ver on exam.
>>
>>53277274
now get ready to learn ipv6
>>
>>53277375
More likely it was a router
>>
>>53277510

two vlans on two different interfaces in this situation? not likely but ok, maybe it was a router and I'm remembering it wrong.
>>
Does anyone have a salary in CAD or USD with CCNA/CCNP R+S?
Is it possible to make ~$100k with a CCNP R+S and 5 years experience?
>>
File: feels guy.jpg (40 KB, 535x577) Image search: [Google]
feels guy.jpg
40 KB, 535x577
>>53277822
>there are americans that make $100k without uni diplomas RIGHT NOW
>there are countries where knowledge, experience and certifications actually matter
>you're doomed to less than $50k/year, even if you're an engineer with years of experience.
>you have to work extremely hard to get to this level, and it's hard to even find employement
>>
>>53277901
Because a university degree, unless a very highly esteemed, is worth garbage. Everyone and their mothers have one.
Most universities teach useless garbage anyways that has no workplace application. If taking any kind of post secondary, take a community college course or any kind of actual hands-on, work experience course. Bachelor's degrees will get you no where.
>>
>>53274595
>Intro into routing and switching at home!
>>53275086
>this stupid
>>53275424
>u r a faggort if you like tcp over udp
>>53276208
I got my CCNA without burning 40k on a piece of paper, but yeah you should get it and stop/refund as much of your degree as you can. Hopefully you didn't spend/borrow all you had.
>>53276479
Net+ over Cisco certs is actually the dumbest, most wasteful, most "i hope that fuckboi is trolling"est post I've seenb t oday.
>>53276753
Don't forget rollovers papasito
>>53277375
BUT YOU CAN >/?
>>53277901
That's why America is best, and Trump is our King.

Get certs, collect cash.
>>
>>53278438
funny part is Cisco certs are worth for 3 years if you do another Cisco cert then it extends.
most people just remember stuff and if you have to actual proof yourself hardware wise then alot black out because they never had actual experience with Cisco hardware.

The people who have their own little labs learn alot more, also homelabs are even better for experience at small scale.
I'd rather hire someone who has experience with hosting(homelab) + knows about networking then someone that passed ccna.
>>
>>53278508
You and I, assuming you actually work in the industry, know that 90+% of the retards who also work in the industry, don't give 2 shits about networking or what they do.
To them, this isn't also a hobby, lifestyle, or something enjoyable, its turning the levers and pushing the buttons required to acquire a check at the end of the week, nahmsayin?
The remaining 10% that do like PCs and stuff as a hobby, and the chunk of those that bathe, maintain a reasonable weight, and shower daily, are pure gold. They care about their work, look like human beings, and are often personable enough to interact with customers.
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.