[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What editor do you use?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 8
File: nanovsvi.jpg (89 KB, 586x343) Image search: [Google]
nanovsvi.jpg
89 KB, 586x343
I just got thrown into a serious Linux environment and I'm learning shit real fast. My boss pretty much allows me to only work in a core environment and only wants me using VI. I've enjoyed it, but I fucking detest VI. I'm sorry, it is by far the must unintuitive ugly ass piece of shit editor. I needed to edit an IP address, and that shit would not let me delete a period and put a period. I said fuck this, switched to nano and got it done in 1 second. I am flustered now due to my OBVIOUS lack of knowledge in VI,so obviously the fault falls on me, not the system, so don't start hating. But please tell me /g/ why use VI when you have nano? Is VI capable of doing something nano is not? What about other text editors? Why don't they just put nano as the default text editor instead of VI? Shit nano at least has the common courtesy to post its main important controls upfront for every user to see, VI tells you to go fuck yourself up front.

tldr: What does VI have that nano doesn't and whats your editor of choice?
>>
emacs
>>
>>53023533
Op just started learning Linux he doesn't need to learn another OS
>>
>>53023519
vi is one of those things that seems completely unusable until you know how to use it, then it becomes invaluable

nano makes sense as a default, if only because it has a bar which says how to use it, but it's very limited compared to vi, of course, you wouldn't know this just by looking at it, and most people haven't used a text editor that does more than just the basics

vi doesn't try to be intuitive, it was made for and by people who are experts with vi, it's left entirely up to the individual to research how to use vi if they wish to use it. this is in contrast to any commercial/consumer software, so it's no surprise the reaction people have when they first run into it

as for what it can do over nano, i don't really know, i know it has features that make many things easier/quicker, but i'm not a programmer, so what i need a text editor to do is itself limited, so i (probably) won't benefit much from learning vi
>>
Vim

http://openvim.com/
>>
vim plebs everywhere
>>
>>53023519
>VI tells you to go fuck yourself up front.
man vi
>common courtesy to post its main important controls upfront for every user to see
Wasted screen space
>why use VI when you have nano
Most *nix machines don't have nano.
>>
Haha OP lrn2vim seriously it's so fucking simple.
>>
>>53023519
why cant you edit it remotely?
vim and emacs allow you to edit files over ssh
>>
>>53023519
vim has a shitton of real features that nano hasn't. if you're going to be writing code, vim is definitely the editor to go with, as it is easily on par with modern IDEs with the right plugins, albeit still a lot lighter. and basically, you don't have to buy the entire IDE, you can just "build" the IDE you want to have.

as for the interface: it has a bit of a learning curve, but once you've done the tutorial (built in, mind you) and given yourself a moment to learn using it, you will find yourself being vastly more productive than with nano. especially if you get yourself a few basic plugins to start with, the experience will be much more fun.

my editor of choice is vim with a list of plugins:
YCM-Generator bufexplorer nerdtree syntastic ultisnips vim-better-whitespace vim-commentary vim-fugitive vim-nerdtree-tabs vim-repeat vim-unimpaired
YouCompleteMe delimitMate rust.vim tagbar vim-airline vim-bundler vim-emoji vim-multiple-cursors vim-rails vim-surround

i load these through pathogen, which is a plugin manager that lives as a single script in the autoload directory and then loads all plugins living in the bundle directory (all of this inside of the .vim directory in your $HOME). as far as plugin managers go, there's also Vundle, which i have never used personally but i think gets your plugins directly from github and keeps them up to date as well, which is nice but, imho, an overreach.

as for the .vimrc file (in your $HOME): have a look around. there usually are good ones around that give you sane defaults, but in all honesty, you will have your own and it will evolve over time.

on a final note, emacs is also a very fine editor/IDE you might want to have a look at. it takes a bit more of a IDE approach than vim in that it has, like an IDE, a ton of features built in.
>>
EMACS
M
A
C
S
>>
>>53023519
atom
>>
>>53023519
Install Vim, do the built in tutorial, start appreciating the beauty that is Vim.
>>
I'm with you op, vi should not be the default text editor for many distros.

If people wanna use vi, they will install and configure vi. If people need a text editor to edit a simple configure file, they just want it to work, be intuitive and not play fuck fuck games with you
>>
emacs
>>
>>53024018
ATOM: proving that using my browser to build a text editor still is not a good idea

Written by s j w 's in JavaScript because they can't write native code
>>
Some of the features that makes me use vim instead of nano :

Editing multiple lines at the same time (e.g prefix lines, switch first character of each line to uppercase,...)
On the fly macros like: go to first dot of the line, cut until semi colon, paste after last opening parenthesis. You record it once and reuse it on the lines you want
>>
File: 12412526.jpg (10 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
12412526.jpg
10 KB, 200x200
>>53023549
>>
>>53023519
Nano is an actual screen editor. You can move around with the arrow keys and just start typing to insert text. Vi is a line editor that tries to be a screen editor.
>>
>>53023549
>Linux
>An OS
Linux is the kernel you fucking idiot
>>
ed, vi, nano, or emacs.
>>
File: a.png (30 KB, 435x213) Image search: [Google]
a.png
30 KB, 435x213
>>53025540
>>
>>53025580
Linux/GNU. Linux is the OS kernel, and GNU is the small set of tools that help form an OS.
>>
>>53025597
I've taken to calling it GNU+Linux. Although who needs GNU+Linux when you have an excellent operating system called EMACS? Although, EMACS is lacking a good text editor unfortunately.
>>
>>53023519
gedit
leafpad
mousepad
>>
>>53025617
Emacs is GNU.
>>
>>53025597
we're not talking about gnu
>>
>>53025597
GNU project now has a Linux kernel. Get fucked, faggot
>>
>>53026158
thats why its called GNU/Linux and not GNU or GNU/Hurd
>>
>>53023519
>>53023533
mg is Micro GnuEmacs. More features than Vi and yet small and lighter, and none of the bloat of full Emacs. Also it's developed by the OpenBSD folk, so you know it's quality code.

http://homepage.boetes.org/software/mg/
>>
nano on linux, sublime on windows
>>
>>53023519
Vim is universally preferred over pure Vi.

Try working with a VIM addon for Chrome / Firefox to get used to the navigation.

Then refer to cheat sheets for a while until you get the hang of it. I transitioned from regular GUI and CLI text editors to Vim in a few months and am super happy.
>>
>>53023519
This thread again. Sigh.

OP, are you a developer? If so then the obvious reason to go Vim over nano is for plugin support that can make your editor an actually productive development environment.

If not, then whatever. Stay a pleb in non-modal land, idgaf.
>>
>>53023646
>mount directory over ssh
>edit text files remotely with any editor
>>
>>53027952
> tags over ssh
> ag over ssh
Enjoy your coffee breaks.
Works if you're only concern is editing configs and doing web dev shit though I guess.
>>
>>53023519
Sublime in vintage mode and vim because I'm not a currynigger that can't learn a couple of shortcuts
>>
File: IMG_20160205_235425.jpg (2 MB, 2992x4000) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160205_235425.jpg
2 MB, 2992x4000
Emacs24 riced out. It has a listening curve but will streamline your work a bunch if you harness the power
>>
>>53028079
Pretty much this. Just make sure to use EVIL.

Helm, projectile (ag, ctrlp, symbol search/management), magit, completion/compiler integration extensions -> enjoy the comfy life
>>
>>53023549
topkek
>>
>>53027988
Are you retarded? Vim and emacs also use ssh to edit remote files.
>>
>>53024154
Babby tier bullshit
>>
>>53025597
At least use the fucking pasta you dumb nigger
>>
>>53026518
mg is great. I hate having to use vi on linux systems.
>>
>>53028079
Please tell me more about this listening curve of you text editor
>>
>>53023519
https://gist.github.com/nifl/1178878
This post helped me a lot to get started, along with vimtutor.
>>
>>53028245
In reply to
>>53027952
> mount directory over ssh

If you don't understand, don't reply.

Obvious solution is to ssh in and run vim/emacs from cli, which is what you should be doing in the first place anyways.
>>
>>53028346
It's a curve of listening. Pretty self explanatory imo
>>
Don't listen to the faggots recommending a ton of plugins. Figure out how to do the thing you want to do within Vim. There's almost certainly a way to do it simply without installing a ton of extra shit. Only after you understand what you're replacing should you install a plugin. That especially goes for code completion plugins like YCM and things like needtree, understand the default completion and the default directory browser stuff first.
Or it's fine I guess if you're installing one of the few plugins that let you do things you actually couldn't before like vim-dispatch to compile things and get errors back asynchronously or vim-sleuth to automatically set indentation options based on the opened file and other files in its directory.
For the love of god don't install shittastic. It's slow and locks up Vim whenever it checks for errors.
Also don't fucking copy someone's riced-out .vimrc. Start fresh and add options and keybinds you use a lot as you go.
>>
The reason you need to learn vi (not vim) is because at some point you will need to edit files on a machine which has vi installed, but not nano or emacs.
>>
>>53031781
There is ed for that.
>>
>>53033331
Ho shit I missed the quins of truth.
>>
>>53033331
>zsh: command not found: ed
I hate to break it to you, but ed is no longer the standard editor.
>>
>>53028844
>which is what you should be doing in the first place anyways.
Nice opinion faggot
>>
File: dont-live-planet.png (216 KB, 600x338) Image search: [Google]
dont-live-planet.png
216 KB, 600x338
>>53033401
>>
>>53033446
?
>>
>>53033515
What didn't you understand?
>>
>>53033544
ed humor
>>
>>53033583
Ho shit. I didn't get it. Nice one.
>>
File: Woj.jpg (21 KB, 372x260) Image search: [Google]
Woj.jpg
21 KB, 372x260
>>53033331
>2 away from quints of truth
>>
>>53023519
who here /MicrosoftWord/?
>>
>>53025540
Yeah, that's what OP is learning. The kernel.

You know what the fuck they mean.
>>
>>53025597
I use ported BSD tools, so it's not GNU/Linux. What now, faGNUgot?
>>
File: iroh.gif (3 MB, 347x260) Image search: [Google]
iroh.gif
3 MB, 347x260
>>53023519
>me /g/
I use a combination of vi and nano. I can definitely tell you that vi has a lot of features that once you learn will be of great use to you down the road. For example, vi can be used to open and edit multiple files in one terminal, it can also create backup files in one shortcut, etc.
Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.