[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do people hate LibreOffice?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 100
Thread images: 7
File: Just werks.png (118 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
Just werks.png
118 KB, 1366x768
Why do people hate LibreOffice?
>>
It's shit. I literally just spent an hour trying to get it to handle 10 fucking full-page size images, and it could not do that. Did the same thing on Google Docs and it could handle it no problem. It's simple shit like that that it should be able to do but can't.
>>
>>53259735
Alternatives? I wanna switch to Linux in the next few months.
>>
Because it looks like it's from 90s

WPS office > Libre
>>
>>53259721
autism

honestly. I think most people just throw their shit into the air when things are slightly different.
>>
>>53259748
>I wanna switch to Linux in the next few months.

You're in for a bad time, the rest of Linux software alternatives are mostly worse in terms of functionality than Libreoffice is.
>>
>>53259721
> Pretty much everyone uses ms office
> Get send a docx file
> LibreOffice fucks it up
>>
>>53259782
Like, everything?
>>
>>53259811
I hope you like usin a command line bitch!
>>
>>53259766
This is so true I wonder how humanity has made it this far.

>Rich dude drive automobile past horse a buggy folks in downtown New York. And a full scale riots doesn't shutdown eastern seaboard?
>>
Because it doesn't execute Excel macros
>>
>>53259748
in my experience LibreOffice works fine, except opening some .doc files, specifically files full of chemical formulas and expressions which my professor does not convert to pdf for some reason.

>>53259748
What kind of work do you do? there are some good free alternatives to most things depending on what you use your computer for.

>>53259782
>>53259845
Have not used linux and probably have no idea what they are talking about, either because they are underage faggots or paid to post here.
>>
It just werks. I have MS Office in a Windows VM in case I need to open complex .doc/.docx documents and I don't want to fuck the formatting though.
>>
Because LaTeX is better
>>
TeX, LaTeX, or conTeXt are nice.
>>
>>53259721
It's not bad but I almost fucked up my friends essay. We edited it on Libre and saved it as .docx. Good thing I tried to open it on my W8.1 before mailing it to his professor because it wouldn't open.
>>
Compatibility with docx is ass. But that's by microsoft's design rather than incompetence. Microsoft deliberately makes it difficult to open docx in anything but word.
>>
File: 1420761397569.jpg (35 KB, 440x406) Image search: [Google]
1420761397569.jpg
35 KB, 440x406
>>53259782
Keep using software for suckers anon
>>
>>53259952
why are some Linux users such zealots? why do you take so much offense when someone points out flaws with the software that you're using?

LibreOffice is not even close to a usable Office alternative. anyone who uses Office on a regular basis will admit this.
>>
>>53260176
I haven't touched MS Office in years, Libreoffice suits my simple needs for a quick paper or two.

For long or complicated stuff I use LaTeX.
>>
>>53259721
MS office > google docs > Libreoffice > open office > the rest
>>
>>53259721
They dont, It's a viable alternative to MS Office. It works. It is the only office suite we use in our offices. Been using it 6 years or more
>>
>>53260220
Cool!

I wish more schools would do the same, or classes were made for Linux/GNU education and free software advocacy.
>>
OpenOffice is still updated

WPS Office is good

Google Docs/Slides/Sheets is fucking amazing

You can try Abiword/that one spreadsheet program that comes with abiword in most distros(cant remember name)

You have choices
>>
>>53259721
Because schools don't accept anything other than Office 2013 right now.
>>
>>53260190
Cucktex is only useful if you will work in academia.

Any real work environment will require you to use MS word for collaborating.
>>
Wrote my honours thesis primarily on it, nightmare. Used to transfer it to either Word or Google docs to salvage shit
>>
>>53260236
We got ubuntu machines in our computer lab at the economy department.
They also had to teach the students how to use libreoffice and stated obligatory formats for essays and works cause they don't pay for office licenses.
>mfw the professor explaining the benefits and differences between libre and open source software to a bunch of accountants and economists in the making and everyone had a wut face
>>
>>53259748
Google dogs, office 354, you have options. Liveroffice really isn't that bad though.
>>
>>53260289
But you could collaborate with a single *.tex tile with your LaTeX source code. It can be edited and sent back with comments or just perused to help look at things that may need changing.

I fail to see how having to format every area of text layout is good for office use.
>>
>>53259721
No one hates LibreOffice... but it is inferior to MS Office. Slower, slightly less user friendly.
>>
>>53260310
That sounds glorious!
>>
>>53259994
>a typesetting markup language is a reasonable substitute for an office suite.

Maybe to replace the word processor. How's TeX with spreadsheets?
>>
>>53260251
Gnumeric
>>
I dont use it because MS Office gives a warning message if you open docx files from LibreOffice for no reason at all.

It's Microsofts fault, but I cant have that.
>>
>>53260176
You're comparing apples to oranges though.

LibreOffice Writer is for typing quick documents. If I need to type an essay for college, it works the same as Wordpad would if I was using Windows.

LaTeX is for making accurate, specific and pedantic documentation. If you need certain symbols, etc, then use Latex. If not, LibreOffice works just fine.
>>
>>53260324
>slower
MS Office 2015 transitions and menus are slow and sluggy as fuck. LO feels snappy compared to this crap.

>slightly less user friendly
subjective, the fact that LO doesn't have those retarded ribbons already makes it much more comfy to use.
>>
File: Untitled.png (463 KB, 1228x914) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
463 KB, 1228x914
>>53260340
>You're comparing apples to oranges though.
LibreOffice Writer is for typing quick documents.
You should talk to the LibreOffice people then.

>all the features
>full-featured word processing and desktop publishing tool
>powerful enough to create complete books with contents, diagrams, indexes, and more
>>
>>53260310
My brother is on the board of directors of a major financial institution. When I told him about free software he didnt believe software could be free. He said there had to be a catch and it wasn't safe. It took months before he warmed up to the idea. And only after he realized IBM, Google and others fund free software and some big names use it. The idea of working on such a thing in your spare time is inconceivable.
>>
>>53260391
>The idea of working on such a thing in your spare time is inconceivable.
It's not really that my classmates thought of it being a waste of time and working for free, they just didn't have any idea that it existed and were perplexed just by it's existence.
There's really smart people but they're still consummerist drones that don't know better, i got friends in CS and CE and they themselves and most of the people they got to class with don't give a flying fuck about free software nor linux, 95% are just in it cause they heard the pay is good.
>>
>>53260297
I wrote my bachelors thesis in LO and it worked perfectly fine.
The only issue I had is that bibliography styles get lost when closing the program.

If people complain about the Interface it is often just because they are not used to it, it's always the same.
>>
>>53260332
Who needs excel when you can have MySQL and <insert a scripting language capable of processing databases, ie. python>
>>
>>53260391
>The idea of working on such a thing in your spare time is inconceivable.
Cause thats not how OSS works at all?
>>
>>53260322
The main thing you have to keep in mind is that latex is a piece of shit and ms office is better in every way. The reason you might believe otherwise is that you're a sheltered faggot with close to none relevant real life experience. Hopefully you'll grow out of it at some point.
>>
>>53260485
A lot of projects started as such.
>>
>>53260489
>le shilling hindu meme
>>
>>53260509
including Microsoft Windows
>>
>>53259952
>Have not used linux and probably have no idea what they are talking about
I used Linux as my primary OS for almost 6 years until mid-2015. Some of as actually grow up and stuff that works without constantly wrestling with sub-par or straight up up broken shitty software.
>>
>>53259748
Pandoc and a text editor. Not even joking.
>>
>>53260561
*and appreciate
>>
>>53260289
>the key word is "require"
You don't use it because its better, you have to use it because of the masses of plebs that use docx.

>>53260489
TeX is pretty shitty for various reason, but despite that its still manages to be better for complex papers than MS-Office, which is incredibly shitty for that. Unlike you, I have a good job with many colleagues that have PhDs or Masters and literally all of them would prefer TeX over Word. The average office drone that never had to do anything remotely complex likes Word cause it has a smaller learning curve, which is mainly cause its a less powerful tool.
>>
>>53260581
>TeX is pretty shitty for various reason
like? The steep learning curve for pure TeX is understood.
>>
>>53259952
Excel shit. I work as a Manager in a big Clothing company.
>>
>>53260597
Not him, but it's overly verbose for some things. Markdown is much better at that, but lacks a lot of features.
>>
>>53260623
I don't mind alot of verbosity. To me it helps see what went wrong in the code better.
>>
>>53260597
The language is ugly, error messages are bad and hardly helpful (mainly for small syntax errors). The hoops you have to go through for proper unicode support are annoying. There are too many packages that solves a problem only partially / improperly and every time you want to do certain things you have to switch to yet another packageX or packageThisTimeForRealGuys.
>>
I personally like libre office a lot, It's compatible with most type of documents, it's open source and I never really felt the need to use something else unless I'm working on something that other people may need to edit asap in which case I uses google docs.
>>
I like Libre/OpenOffice. It feels comfy and works well. I like GIMP as well, the alternative to Photoshop.

However I have free access to Microsoft's Office Suite so I just use that instead.
>>
>>53259721
>Ubuntu
>LibreOffice
>Gimp
>Transmission
>Firefox

M E M E
>>
>>53260251
How does openoffice compare to libre?
>>
>>53262044
Deluge is better than transmission.
>>
>>53262501
it's not FOSS anymore
>>
>>53262044
I, I'm Microsoft. I believe you haven't sucked my throbbing cock enough before posting. I won't pay you this time, and if this happens again I'll fire you.
>>
>>53262044
>if I type meme in all caps with spaces in between each letter it's somehow an insult
>>
>>53262646

m e m e

e

m

e
>>
>>53259721

my mother doesn't like it because it can't read all the stupid special fonts her coworkers use in documents
>>
>>53259748

if all else fails, remember you can use MS office with wine or a VM
>>
>>53259759
I was using WPS for a while, but I had to stop because it was too chink and broken
>tab stops are measured in (chinese) character widths
>can't change font to times new roman. ever.
>has it's own eccentricities with regards to selecting text, randomly changing formatting, all measurements are done in characters by default and no documentation and found it impossible to change everything to be a normal western word processor

of course, any word processor that tries to be like microsoft word will be broken by definition because microsoft word is broken. if i didn't have a job where i needed to share/collaborate on all of my documents, i'd just learn TeX and be done with all that bullshit.

I went back to OpenOffice, which is now owned by Apache so it can't be haram, right? The old UI is comfy but it also had minor issues, like not being able to save in modern MS Office formats. I also tried Softmaker office which has the same limitations and also an old comfy interface. I would actually recommend softmaker if you want that comfy office 2000 feel and don't care about using proprietary software that asks for your email to send you a free registration key.
>>
File: justlinux.jpg (219 KB, 536x599) Image search: [Google]
justlinux.jpg
219 KB, 536x599
>tfw no school, self employed, so using libreoffice and gnu/linux is great
>>
>>53263090
WPS can absolutely dominate the market, but the chinks are too inept to make it really good.
>>
>>53263185
yes a non-NEET supporting linux
>>
>>53263248
i haven't used the windows version, maybe it's more polished, but the linux version is "community developed" which i imagine means chink gentoo neckbeards
>>
>>53263606
It's my only Office suite on Windows, and primary with Libre being a backup on Mint. I
tried MS Office 2016 for a bit, but it's fucking awful.
They're trying to make it easier for newbies I guess, but it only made me try to pull my hair out.
>>
It's shit

fucking google docs is better than all of the open source office applications
>>
What's the point of latex if you can do everything in libreoffice or word?
>>
Why would people use linux for word processing? Linux is for programming.
>>
>>53259879
This
>>
>>53259721
>cloned and continues to use the Windows UI that was so awful that even Windows got rid of it
>did so for no other reason than "lol it's just like a free microsoft word now, pls use it"
>Microsoft now lets you use Word for free anyway
The only reason to use it is if you care more about the licensing of free-to-use products than you do about actually using those products.
>>
>>53263860
>for free
Wrong
>>
>>53260477
Why do all that when excel exists?
>>
>>53263748
Hahaha.

Linux is for people's grandmas and toddlers champ. It's literally a child-tier OS.
>>
>>53266525
>a child-tier OS.
implying you can use it, window-boy
>>
People don't hate LibreOffice. Haters do.
>>
>>53259721
>Liberation Serif

Looks pretty fedora bro.
>>
>>53259721
it looks like shit
>>
>>53259796
THIS FUCKING THIS HOLY SHIT
Luckily my college offered Office 365 for free
>>
>>53259721
I like LibreOffice
>>
>>53263736
LaTeX is better for very large documents split into many parts, and documents where you need to embed technical diagrams (e.g. graphs, plots, complex equations). With Word, you're trusting it to correctly manage all of the objects in a single document of increasing size and not shit the bed. Word does support subdocuments but they're notoriously broken as fuck.
>>
>>53259748
Latex?
>>
>>53259721
works fine for me but i just use the spreadsheet, i'm not a fucking secretary working on faggoty word processing bullshit
>>
>>53260581
>you have to use it because of the masses of plebs that use docx
IMO this.
>>
File: wtfdrake.jpg (10 KB, 183x79) Image search: [Google]
wtfdrake.jpg
10 KB, 183x79
>>53259952
>paid to post here.
Who the fuck would PAY ANYONE TO POST ON FUCKING 4CHAN, out of all the websites out there to shill on, this has to be the WORST one to attempt to get customers
>>
>>53259721
O P E N O F F I C E
P
E
N

O
F
F
I
C
E

or bust!
>>
>>53259748
WPS office is almost at par with microsoft office, works great, have similar interfaces and is almost fully compatible with ms office formats

>inb4 le chinese botnet
>>
>>53270686
softmaker office / freeoffice is pretty slick if you'd rather trust the nazis
>>
File: 1383863256944.jpg (204 KB, 1436x674) Image search: [Google]
1383863256944.jpg
204 KB, 1436x674
>>53259721

I completed all my university work using LibreOffice and never had a problem.

I wonder if the most vocal that hate LibreOffice are just Microsoft shills. You know, like back in the day when Microsoft paid for campaigns to discredit and spread fud about using Linux. Or, same with Intel spreading fud about using AMD over Intel cpus would cause all your applications to crash more often.
>>
Thank Scott McNealy for buying Star Office back in the day. Without him, there would be no such thing as LibreOffice.
>>
It corrupted some of my documents and doesn't display word documents correctly.

That's just my 2 cents on it.
>>
>>53259721
because a collection of markdown with inline LaTeX is easier than that shit.
>>
>>53262683
that's a fault with your font config aliases or no alias fallback (which is likely a bitmap font)
Thread replies: 100
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.