[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Im a NEET who wasted his entire life in front of a computer.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 3
File: download.jpg (6 KB, 224x225) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
6 KB, 224x225
Im a NEET who wasted his entire life in front of a computer.

I have this old neighbor who is a retard when it comes to computers and i fixed his pc hundreds of times over the years, so he thinks im a fucking programmer cause i know how to install windows and shit.

It turns out his rich son in law owns a company which makes android apps, and he talked him into offering me a job cause im a "great kid and good with computers"

I talked to the guy and explained that i dont know shit about android and he gave me this huge shia lebouf like speech on how i should stop wasting time and do something with my life. He suggested that since i have all the free time in the world i should learn android development by myself and he will give me a job when i learn the basics and one of his guys will train me.

Is it actually possible to learn this stuff or is he trolling me? Like if i spent a year or two watching tutorials and shit would i be able to become an android developer? Or should i not waste my time?

I have a feeling this is the equivalent of him telling me "Dude go practice acting on your own and you will be rich when you become a hollywood superstar"
Am i right?
>>
You could become better than most Android devs in a week of self-study.
>>
In a year or two you can be decent, depending how much work you put it. It's not like acting. You can practice at your computer, all the resources are available to you, and if you fuck up you just edit the code.

That said, if the job is for developing a proprietary application, you should decline, because that's unethical.
>>
>>53248479
So true it actually hurts :'(
>>
>>53248479
Are you an android developer? What kind of education did you have for that? Did you already know Java?
>>
>>53248442
If you're a NEET then what is stopping you from taking that offer? Fuck shia but just fucking do it if you have nothing better to do. Unless you are a mental potato android developing is easy to learn.
>>
>rich guy offered me a (probably) high paying job although I have literally zero experience
>I'm not sure if I should take it
what the fuck are you doing
just take the offer, try learning android dev, and if you're lucky it's gonna work out fine.
>>
>>53248691
>>53248720

But i dont know any fucking Java...
>>
>>53248442
It really isn't. What he's saying is learn a fucking skill if you're already in front of your computer the entire day and you will get a fucking job. It's not hard, just do it daily and you could be on an average collage grad java skill level in 3-4 months.
>>
>>53248739
He wont hire me NOW. He said that IF i learn the basics on my own he will get someone in his company to train me and then when i can actually be useful to him he will pay me extremely well cause in my shitty country good android developers are hard to find, or so he claims.
>>
>>53248442

If you don't take this fucking offer i will track you down and murder you OP.

Block 4chan in your hosts file and grab that opportunity to get out of the neet trap.

If you listen to that voice in your head that says you can't do shit, you'll never amount to anything. Funny enough, for me that voice usually sounds like some shitposter from this site.

Even if he turns you down or doesn't remember your bitch ass you'll at least have done something.
>>
>>53248442
you can definitely do it
>>
>>53248756
Easy language to learn.
>>
>>53248777
Don't fucking throw this opportunity away bro.
Don't be that guy I was 10 years ago when I was offered a job in a movie production company because people I knew talked to people in charge there.
>>
>>53248777
DO IT, android dev is easy to learn just try!! dont give up on the first hard problem you encounter, just power through it, thats a good oportunity hes giving to you
>>
All you need to know to do Android development is Java and XML. The latter can be learned in 5 minutes, the former will take slightly longer, but is nevertheless piss easy (although it is neither the most performant nor the most enjoyable programming language).
>>
This post inspires me, and I hope you are inspired OP.

Go on, learn how2android, and leave this hell.

We believe in you
>>
>>53248442
You are one lucky motherfucker
http://udemycoupon.discountsglobal.com/coupon/learn-android-programming-from-scratch-basics-course-coupon-free/
>>
>>53248777
Just curious, what country is that?
>>
>>53248976
here's the link without that cancer
https://www.udemy.com/learn-android-programming-from-scratch-beta/
>>
File: 1411201446809.jpg (7 KB, 210x230) Image search: [Google]
1411201446809.jpg
7 KB, 210x230
>>53248442
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAbQgLGKd3Y&list=PL6gx4Cwl9DGBsvRxJJOzG4r4k_zLKrnxl
You can finish this within 3 months. You'll be a way above average developer by then. Godspeed you to-be-rich cunt
>>
>>53248509
>>53248691
>>53248760
>>53248790
>>53248861
>>53248886
>>53248931
>>53248933
>>53248940
I will try my best, i browse 4chan all day anyway what have i got to lose. One question though if you know, should i use android studio or eclipse, cause there are tons of tutorials for both?
>>
>>53249025
Try both and use whatever you feel more comfortable with.
>>
>>53249025
>>53249056
android studio for sure because google is dropping support for eclipse. Also this >>53249023
>>
>>53249025
Android Studio, no question.
>>
>>53249023
>>53249070
>>53249072

Im downloading it right now, hope i havent beeen trolled by this thread and that bald fuck...
>>
>learn android api
>learn java

Congratulations youre an android dev
>>
>>53249147
If you think you are trolled you are a lost cause. That guy offers you a chance to exit from the NEET zone, and you want to ignore it? Since you are a NEET you don't have anything better to do anyways, so just try to learn Java and how to program in Android. If you think you wasted time, at least you did something and you won't regret later that I had that chance but I ignored it because I was a lazy retard.
>>
I'm not especially good at it, but I learned java and made an app for Android to control an rc-car through Bluetooth with game-like controls and shit. Took me like 2 weeks. (With very inconsistent training. Sometimes for almost the whole day sometimes not at all)
I did already know C# at that point though... (Again, basically just the basics)
My point is: you could probably learn enough to start work in a month. (Since he did say you would receive additional training there)
>>
>>53248442
>a year

lol

i learned web development in the span of 3 weeks after learning about a job opportunity that was a good fit at the time and everything worked out

just spend 3 weeks learning basic java syntax and concepts, then 1 week learning android ecosystem, if you work at it 4+ hours a day it will be trivial

spending 2 years to learn skills that should take a grown man less than a month to acquire would be sad
>>
>>53249025
Dude your mindset is the only thing holding you back.

Computers follow rules and those rules are entirely learnable. Computers are very predictable and if you do encounter errors (you will) a google search will lead you to no less than 10 people with the same issue.

I learned java and android in a semester at uni. If you devote the right time and don't get defeated at your first runtime error you'll make it.
>>
>>53250090
>and if you do encounter errors (you will) a google search will lead you to no less than 10 people with the same issue.
This is so wrong it hurts
>>
>>53249147
Also, check out this site. Helped me quite a bit. guides.codepath (.) com/android
I think it's the best place to start.
>>
>>53250172
Any error a beginner will have is bound to be found on the internet
>>
I don't know how these threads usually go or if you get of these kind very often but the mindset and responses are WAY more positive than my usual main board. [spoiler]/r9k/[/spoiler]
>>
>>53250465
>literally a board that prides itself on attracting negativity
>surprised there is negativity there
ok
>>
>>53250564
I'm surprised that there is positivity here nerd
>>
>>53250605
but the boards are different, why are you applying your knowledge of one onto another? It doesn't make any sense retard.
>>
>>53250172
Your Google-fu is weak anon
>>
>>53250465
/g/ is different in that aspect as even /g/s memes revolve around teaching people valuable lessons
>>
>>53248479
This Android is piss easy, when I started I thought it was going to be super complicated and hard.
Fucking hardest part was setting up Android studios.

How much of a time frame does the offer stand?
Get some books, there is probably a good android for dummies one and practice a bit, show him some shitty apps like a clock or calendar app etc.
>>
not the op but I'm going to be looking for a software development job and i would like to build up my portfolio anybody got some ideas on what i could do? Like shit that recruiters or employers will like. I know enough java-script to get me by and I'm pretty good at c++. I have a shit GPA in college so I'm thinking i have to do activities outside of class to get me even with my peers.
>>
File: Just die.gif (964 KB, 397x658) Image search: [Google]
Just die.gif
964 KB, 397x658
>>53248442
>i should stop wasting time and do something with my life
That's a very good idea
>pic related
>>
You can get basic understanding about android in just a month.

Find good java tutorial/book. You need java as basic tool for anything. I recommend head first java. It have great explanation of objects, how and when to use them.

Then find tutorials about android, and finish few of them.

Then learn basic stuff about networking, databases inside android etc.

Then make weatherapp with open endpoint for getting json data, put that data in database and show it inside listview, submit that and you'll get the job, i guarantee it. There are basically tons of tutorials about this.

There, easy how-to, now go to work.

And when you see first real project, it would be much clearer to you.

And also, if you don't know something, literally just fucking google it.
>>
Have sex with your neighbor and his kid that'll show him haha
>>
>>53248987
This
>>
isn't android dead
>>
Not op but you've inspired me to try learning this. I hope you are not trolling.
>>
>>53248442
>Is it actually possible to learn this
No. People who know android programming are born with it. Its why its called android, they are literally androids.
>>
>>53253510
my fucking sides
>>
>>53250388
Thanks anon
>>
OP is giving me hope, let's all quit the NEET life for good
>>
You are one lucky faggot I actually know how to program I still can't get a job because I don't have a college degree and I'm only 21 so I have to be a beastlord programmer confident Chad to even be considered.

I fuckin' hate you so much.
>>
>>53254170
Degree doesn't mean shit, Anon. All that matters is who you know.
>>
To the muricans here... Is it really possible if you don't have a degree to just go to the US and apply in the silicon valley ? Or is it some kind of myth ?

The son of my mom's friend did and he has a great job now, but I'm afraid he just was super lucky...

Please
>>
>>53248442
I'm you, except I know how to program Android apps. Fuck you faggot. I could have a job right now.
>>
>>53248442
>Is it actually possible to learn this stuff or is he trolling me?

Anon, if this stuff wasn't learn-able then literally no one would be doing it.
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.