[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you use free software /g/? Does it make you feel free? Is
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 9
Do you use free software /g/?

Does it make you feel free? Is it just an illusion?
>>
I must say that LaTeX works better than Microshaft Word. Also, Pale Moon rules.
>>
File: 1456332932323.jpg (73 KB, 474x641) Image search: [Google]
1456332932323.jpg
73 KB, 474x641
>>53247892
FREEDOM GO TO HELL
>>
File: images.jpg (7 KB, 261x193) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
7 KB, 261x193
>>
>>53247907
Why use free software if it is incompatible with the majority of other users?

Do you not need to work with other people?
>>
>>53247992
>>
File: Unknown-1.jpg (80 KB, 600x534) Image search: [Google]
Unknown-1.jpg
80 KB, 600x534
>>53248179
>>
>>53247892
Free Software + Proprietary OS is the best combo ever, since I use OS X at least the Kernel is Open Source.
>>
>>53247892
Yeah, let me just use "free" software
Or I could use the bsd/mit license and /actually/ give people who use my code to use it for whatever they want
But you know, gotta keep letting an autist tell me what freedom is
>>
>>53248055
What do you mean with incompatible?
>>
One argues that the biggest achievement of the free software community is the free software song. Upon hearing it, the evil proprietary closed-source forces retreat and you will be free of all desire to use non-free software. It comes in a handy Firefox add-on, so that you can listen to it at all times should you get proprietary urges.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/singing-stallman/?src=api
>>
>>53248228
But you just listed 2 free software licenses...
>>
>>53248233
Few proprietary systems are fully compatible or even accept ext4 for example but proprietary software is used by the majority of people. The only solution is to use a format that is compatible with their system.
>>
>>
>>53248288
Are we talking about filesystems, file formats, or software? You seem confused.
>>
>>53248249
We all know what you guys think of when you say free software
Also it was more because of the picture
>>
>>53247892
I use free software and it is a bit more fun, if you're of a certain bent.
>>
>>53248342
I really wish they'd republish BTRFS under the BSD license so OSX can use it
>>
>>53248360
What are you talking about?
You just said you'd rather use BSD or MIT license than free software licenses, but those licenses ARE free software licenses. You're not making any sense.
>>
>Stallman
Achievements:
>started the free software movement
>the GNU project
>Highlighting Software Patent issues

Fuckups:
>ate toe jam off his foot during a talk
>militantly insisting on the name GNU/Linux
>"incest and pedophilia should be legal as long as no one is coerced. They are illegal only because of prejudice and narrowmindedness."

What I think of him:
I value free software a lot and I agree with his viewpoints on most subjects, so I have a lot of respect and admiration for him
>>
>>53248321
>some retarded underage windows gamer actually submitted this to their middle school teacher

>>53248426
>I hate how he ate toe jam!!!

autism
>>
>>53248407
he's obviously talking about the GPL and the way it scares off most corporations.

It is designed to be cancerous, in a good way. But it is kind of a drag.

>>53248426
>>"incest and pedophilia should be legal as long as no one is coerced. They are illegal only because of prejudice and narrowmindedness."
does RMS consider offering them candy and showing them CP count as coercion?
>>
>>53248453
Then why didn't he say he was talking about the GPL/copyleft?
>>
>>53248426
Closed source software is a threat to free and open societies, so Stallman started his project.
His project became quite famous and as a leader, his ego became inflated.
However, none of his peers managed to build a kernel, the most important part of the project and the last one to make it complete.
Then a dude made a kernel for fun. Though a kernel is useless by itself, used with other software it makes a complete and usable OS.
The kernel became famous as it got associated with the softwares from RMS project and people took the habit of using the name "Linux" to refer to the Kernel and RMS software instead of the much more accurate and appropriate "GNU + Linux."

As for now, he's mostly an old fat man who gets paid to go from university to university speaking about his past glory and correcting the audience when they say Linux.
Though he has not been relevant tech-wise for decades, his name got remembered due to his meme status.
>>
>>
>>53248426
>uptalking that toe jam eating pedo commie
>>
>>53248288
>Few proprietary systems are fully compatible or even accept ext4 for example
By default, maybe. But software can be written for these proprietary systems (OS X and Windows) so that they may interact with alternative file systems. That's one of the benefits of software being free - anybody can port it to different operating systems.
>The only solution is to use a format that is compatible with their system
What do you mean by "only solution"? If you mean you're going to install a proprietary system, then of course you need to format a partition with their proprietary filesystem. That's one of the negatives of proprietary software - you cannot change it to your liking if the developer does not want you to.
>>
>>53249181
>But software can be written for these proprietary systems, so that they may interact with alternative file systems.
That is true however open source software almost always fails to comprehensively match set specification, and are often a hodgepodge combo of other software products, meaning that they interact poorly.

>That's one of the negatives of proprietary software - you cannot change it to your liking if the developer does not want you to.
That's one of the negatives of open source software because few people use it, meaning if you have to work with others, you will struggle with compatibility.
>>
stallman's neckbeard is probably older than me
>>
File: 1454082885376.gif (16 KB, 581x560) Image search: [Google]
1454082885376.gif
16 KB, 581x560
>free software
>>
The only good software are the ones worth paying for and there isn't a single GPL licensed software that you can pay for that is used for shit that actually is important like music, video and image editing software.
>>
>>53249388
Your concerns are irrelevant to the licensing of the program, you're making convenient generalizations.
>>
>>53249750
>shit that is actually important
>editing pictures, video, and music
>>
>>53249823
What else could be more important? If that's not stopping people from using linux then tell me what it is.
>free software isn't shit, those things aren't important anyways. Don't be delusional
>>
>>53249875
That part at the end wasn't supposed to be green btw
>>
>>53247907
>I just hate Word because a company made it

Now can I have someone who ISN'T a complete hipster retard to talk?
>>
>>53248288
>The only solution is to use a format
that is open.
>>
Free software is shit. Prove me wrong.
>>
>>53249750
>The only good software are the ones worth paying
Good thing I donate a shit ton of money to various opensource projects then, because they've been worth so much more to me.
>>
File: bait.png (57 KB, 625x656) Image search: [Google]
bait.png
57 KB, 625x656
>>53249945
Proprietary software is shit. Prove me wrong.
>>
>>53249962
Proprietary software looks good and just werks.

Linux is if your time means nothing. Prove me wrong.
>>
>>53249962
If it was shit, people wouldn't be worth charging money for
>>
>>53248453
>GPL scares off most corporations
Isn't that an argument in favor of GPL then? What's wrong with not trusting corporations as an independent individual?
>>
>>53249962
>Proprietary software is shit.
If it were "shit" no one would buy it. Checkmate freetards.
>>
>>53249981
Found the only retard who actually bought a Winrar license
>>
>>53249994

what is a functioning economy for $500 Trebek?
>>
>>53250007
One Direction makes a shit ton of money, does this mean they produce quality content? I don't think so, Tim. I thing you're just stupid and willing to eat up any garbage endorsed by nice advertisement campaigns.
>>
>>53250013
Corporations are people, too. Freetards are delusional.
>>
>>53249994
>What's wrong with not trusting corporations as an independent individual?
The problem is that there's nothing right with it.
>>
>>53250013
North Korea. It's a sweatshop paradise.
>>
>>53249994
What's the difference. Corporations are comprised of individuals just as open source projects are.
>>
>>53250038
I've never seen a corporation go to jail.
>>
>>53250038

I wish they were not though. Corporations are made up of people but should not be considered a person in their own right in the US.

>Freetards are delusional

The delusional ones also believe in Free Culture, also known as Communism Gone Wild Uncensored.
>>
>>53250083
>Communism
'Murica is leaking as well. This isn't the Cold War era people. The Iron Curtain is still strong in some weak minds. Snap out of it.
>>
>>53250072
Limited liability, you dirty communist hippy.
>>
>>53250148
At this point I'm inclined to believe you're lacking a functioning brain. You're spewing random terms you've vaguely heard of, and thinking they're helping your argumentation. You should get out of your basement more.
>>
>>53250199
>At this point I'm inclined to believe you're lacking a functioning brain. You're spewing random terms you've vaguely heard of, and thinking they're helping your argumentation.
Kek. Subscribed. :^)
>>
>>53249994
Sometimes they make products that could benefit from the inclusion of free-as-in-free-willy software.

I'm a bit of a pinko, but I still believe making money is a fundamental human right, desu
>>
>>53247892
I use. It makes me feel poor and law abiding.
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.