[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Microcucks drops Android support
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 6
File: rekt.jpg (425 KB, 1372x1414) Image search: [Google]
rekt.jpg
425 KB, 1372x1414
Android status: SUICIDE WATCH

http://www.extremetech.com/mobile/223684-microsoft-cancels-effort-to-run-android-software-on-windows-mobile-focuses-on-ios-compatibility

Post yfw you realize iOS is superior than Android
>>
>>53245651
Thus only hurts Windows phone retard.
>>
They actually had a full on android subsystem working. people sideloaded the play store onto wp10.

I can totally see how that would have killed the windows store, and why they're not doing it. Still sad.
>>
File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (285 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[1].jpg
285 KB, 1920x1080
not surprised. goog would have eaten their app store whole. If MS wants to be a software peddler it couldn't stand for that shit.

at least with the ios bridge that shit has to be republished to their store. surprised the android bridge wasn't just downgraded to that same level though.
>>
>>53245651
It just means that Microsoft are too retarded to make compatibility for android apps happen.
This doesn't affect android, it just means that windows phone users will keep being cucked just as much as before.
>>
It's Windows Phone, who gives a fuck. Android is still #1 and will be for years to come.
>>
As a windows phone user, I was waiting for this, thinking it is the only thing that could save Windows phone from being completely deserted. Well, shit happens. I am still waiting for the win10 upgrade (lumia 735) and I'll see how it is, then if it sucks, I'll switch back to android.
>>
If they're smart the will drop iOS support too, otherwise they will never get native applications and cement their position as third class platform forever.

Their best chance would be to push their own cross-platform dev environment that supports WP and everything else. They seem to be doing exactly this right now, finally buying Xamarin is a sign of that. It may already be too late for that one though, since React Native seems to be the hot shit for creating cross platform apps right now and a big part of the app developers don't even use Windows.
>>
the microcock microstore would have died if they kept going the android path
>>
They just acquired xamarin...
>>
What's a Windows phone?
>>
>>53245862
microsoft aquired xamarin?
well fuck.
is there maybe any tiny slim chance that XNA will come back?
>>
>>53245858
You have to rewrite you iOS app even with their bridge, but their bridge needs only the minimum of code to be rewritten.
Developers will need to rewritten their apps so we will still depend on them to bring their apps to App store.
So even with iOS bridge, there will be no snapchat for WP.
>>
>>53245858
iOS bridge does not work that way.
While in Android case you just side loaded the apk file (since windows 10 had android sub system) with out modification, you cant do the same with iOS apps since there is no iOS sub system. You need to recompile iOS the app (editing some APis a long the way). This way you get a native windows app from recycled iOS code.
>>
>>53246377
Why do you want XNA when there's FNA?
>>
File: 1447262539691.png (485 KB, 680x523) Image search: [Google]
1447262539691.png
485 KB, 680x523
>>53245651
>superior than
>>
Microsoft has become disgusting. They disgust me.
>>
>>53246659
FNA and monogame are great.
but xna was more polished in its days.
even though monogame is now a 1:1 copy of xna it still misses some features.
>>
>>53245858
>they will never get native applications
What they're really doing is pulling something out of their 80's playbook.
Remember OS/2 and how Windows later completely dominated the market?

Compatibility.
>>
File: wine-for-android2.jpg (21 KB, 600x300) Image search: [Google]
wine-for-android2.jpg
21 KB, 600x300
Meanwhile
>>
>>53245862
They also acquired Minecraft and Swiftkey lmao
>>
>>53246800
it's OS/2 (IBM) that suffered by doing this
OS/2 ran OS/2 and windows programs, windows only ran windows programs

so what did developers do? they made windows programs, because then they ran on both windows and OS/2

the fact that microsoft is resorting to this means they know their own platform can't complete, so they have to become compatible with the competition instead

this won't help their platform in the long run
>>
>>53245651

welp, time to dump my old windows phone and buy an Android one

it's a shame, their phones are nice
>>
File: download.jpg (6 KB, 224x225) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
6 KB, 224x225
Im a NEET who wasted his entire life in front of a computer.

I have this old neighbor who is a retard when it comes to computers and i fixed his pc hundreds of times over the years, so he thinks im a fucking programmer cause i know how to install windows and shit.

It turns out his rich son in law owns a company which makes android apps, and he talked him into offering me a job cause im a "great kid and good with computers"

I talked to the guy and explained that i dont know shit about android and he gave me this huge shia lebouf like speech on how i should stop wasting time and do something with my life. He suggested that since i have all the free time in the world i should learn android development by myself and he will give me a job when i learn the basics and one of his guys will train me.

Is it actually possible to learn this stuff or is he trolling me? Like if i spent a year or two watching tutorials and shit would i be able to become an android developer? Or should i not waste my time?
>>
>>53248196
Are you retarded?

Pick up a Java book and take him up on his offer, he's 100% correct and thank fuck he gave you that speech.
>>
>>53245651
Won't the app store from Apple just dominate the windows store?
>>
Shame, worked pretty well when I used it.
>>
>>53248196
what the fuck

are you retarded
>>
File: shouldihonk.gif (2 MB, 400x226) Image search: [Google]
shouldihonk.gif
2 MB, 400x226
>>53248196
go for it you luckiest of faggots.
>>
>>53248196
java is one of the easiest languages in the world to learn. once you have that all you need to do is understand how android development works which doesnt take long to get used to
>>
>>53245651
>focuses on iOS compatibility
They know where the money is
>>
Apparently if you are not a complete moron and know what the people want you can make money with windows / windows mobile platform.
http://mspoweruser.com/wait-what-independent-survey-finds-windows-phone-developers-earn-on-average-twice-as-much-as-android-devs-more-than-ios-devs/
>>
>>53248196
Android will over take Microsoft's reign as the dominant OS once they create a version for desktops and embedded hardware (ie. ATMs, Cash Registers, etc). The market for android devs is also going to explode once the emerging markets start to come online and their first computers are literally Android phones. It's only a matter of time, learn Java and take that fucking job before he finds a suitable H1-B to do it.
>>
>>53248950
it takes much more than just porting os to desktop.
Android is a bad joke when it comes to security and management. infrastructure that corporation wants.
>>
>>53249620
No more of a joke than anything else
>>
>>53245651
20 shekels have been deposited to your account Mr. Goldstein
>>
>>53246631
Oh. So they're just releasing an objective c and swift toolchain with drop-in replacements for all of Apple's APIs.

That's cool if they have full coverage and equal performance, but not really revolutionary. Kind of disappointing.
>>
>>53245651
>Android status: SUICIDE WATCH
More like win phone is dead
>>
>>53245689
topkek
>>
>>53246793
>1:1 copy
>missing features
pick one
>>
>>53248855
I think sales number on Android or iOS cover benefits of working with MS.
>>
>>53246793
WP dev here.

What exactly is monogame missing in your opinion (IMO, it surpassed XNA). I got one retarded game published on WP and iOS. Was truly a pleasure working with mono. I expected it would be more hacky and buggy, but it works perfect.
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.