[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
New to Linux Which is the fastest DE? I've been looking
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 4
File: desktopenvironmentheader.jpg (22 KB, 620x300) Image search: [Google]
desktopenvironmentheader.jpg
22 KB, 620x300
New to Linux
Which is the fastest DE? I've been looking on the internet ans I cannot decide which to install .
Currently running Ubuntu 15.10
>>
>>53243998
just try them out and use the one you like the most. If you want a light DE you should check LMDE, MATE ans XFCE.
>>
>>53243998
In the picture? Xfce
>>
Cinnamon is pretty decent
>>
>>53243998
join the null+openbox mustard race :^)
>>
>>53243998
You're asking this because you want to run the fastest?
>>
>>53244540
Yes sir
>>
>>53243998
XFCE
>>
>>53243998
windows explorer

/thread
>>
>>53244687
progman.exe
>>
>>53243998
just install openbox and reconfigure it to suit your needs

Or just use Emacs as a functioning distro
>>
>>53244681
Why? Do you feel your current desktop environment is too slow, or do wish to gain speed in general? Because you can also argue you don't need a desktop environment when you have a decent window manager, which is even more faster
>>
>>53244681
LXDE
Enjoy having a computer that looks like it's running Windows 3.1
>>
>>53244724
openbox isn't a DE
>>
>using a DE
i3
>>
>>53243998
Xfce is extremely light and quick. I'm currently using it on a 6 y/o laptop and it works perfect.
I am thinking of going to Ubuntu as it does look a bit better
>>
>>53244767
It's close to being one though
>>
>>53244808
But it's not one.
OP asked for the fastest DE.
A Lamborghini Countach is also faster than Unity but it's not a DE.
>>
>>53244828
Curb your autism, it serves the same purpose and has mostly the same functionality as a regular DE.
>>
>>53244828
>A Lamborghini Countach is also faster than Unity but it's not a DE.
Exactly, but that's also apples and oranges. Good luck comparing horsepower with FLOPS.
>>
Reminder that OP hasn't even explained why he wants to use 'the fastest™ desktop environment©' and what he hopes to achieve with this. And you guys are spewing out pointless solutions without knowing the first thing about his problem.
>>
>>53244960
>mostly the same functionality as a regular DE
But not the same functionality. It is not a DE. Do not recommend it to people asking for a DE. Stick to your Arch threads where you can discuss the most convoluted solutions to simple problems with your fellow NEETs.

>>53245015
>measuring your DE in FLOPS

>>53245074
90% odds he just has a shit computer, in which case the best balance between functionality, customisation and resource usage is XFCE.
>>
>>53243998
I'd try various ones out. Use them a couple days each. Personally Xfce was really the first I used long-term and it was the one I kept returning to. The only ones I absolutely hate though are Gnome3 and Unity.

After using Linux a while explore EMs a bit. Fluxbox is what I use mainly now. It's really easy to customize to your liking. It's all done by editing simple text files, and you can change every tiny detail about it pretty much. I don't know if this would be a good choice starting out though because it definitely doesn't just work out of the box, and might be a little frustrating.
>>
>>53245221
>90%
Which is just an assumption at best. You also don't have anything to backup your percentage.

OP, if you want some useful help give us more information, or don't bother starting these threads at all. Also, reminder that /g/ is not your personal tech support.
>>
>>53245238
>EMs
WMs aka window managers*
>>
>>53243998
lxde or lxqt
>>
>>53244808
how?
as far as im concerned the only things it has is window management and a launcher
>>
>>53245396
Perhaps you could give another realistic reason as to why a self-confessed Lunix "newbie" would be asking for the fastest WM then.

No, no you can't.

OP - put XFCE on it and move the taskbar to the top of the screen if you want it to feel a bit like a Mac. Ignore any turboautists telling you to install a window manager.
>>
I gave the tiling wms a fair try, used them for a few months. They seem like more trouble than they're worth. Lots of programs freak out with the window sizes, you constantly have to move the panes around to make things visible. I really enjoyed i3's keyboard shortcuts though.

I went back to xfce and added that halfscreen tile patch to it to allow super+arrow to put a window to one side. I'm pretty happy with it.
>>
>>53245478
>No, no you can't.
Argumentum ad ignorantiam.

>OP - put XFCE on it
It's Xfce. See http://xfce.org/

>and move the taskbar to the top of the screen if you want it to feel a bit like a Mac.
Assumption. He didn't say anything about Mac.

>Ignore any turboautists telling you to install a window manager.
That's for him to decide.
>>
>>53245523
You don't actually need a patch, it's included by default in 4.12 and you only need to assign a key combination
>>
>>53243998
I've tried them all extensively as well as half a dozen ones not in the picture

xfce is my favorite and the one I ended up sticking with

KDE felt like the most modern and overall the best on paper but there were many glaring issues with it

I hated Gnome 3. I see no reason to use Gnome 2 or Cinnamon over xfce. Unity works well but it's piss poor design in my opinion.
>>
>>53243998
i3wm
>>
User speed: ratpoison , after you learn it, its a lot like screen
>>
>>53245537
>Argumentum ad ignorantiam
Yes, I am indeed arguing to an ignorant woman. Specifically, you.

>It's Xfce
Fair enough.

>Assumption. He didn't say anything about Mac.
Hence the "if", you slack-jawed spastic.

>That's for him to decide.
Ideally without the terminally sperged telling him to use a window manager.
>>
>>53244392
>using the smiley with a carat nose
>>
>>53245648
>>>53245537 (You)
>>Argumentum ad ignorantiam
>Yes, I am indeed arguing to an ignorant woman. Specifically, you.
Please retake logic 101.

>>Assumption. He didn't say anything about Mac.
>Hence the "if", you slack-jawed spastic.
If you believe you're talking to slack-jawed spastics, you might want to reevaluate your life decisions, and possibly question your sanity.

>>That's for him to decide.
>Ideally without the terminally sperged telling him to use a window manager.
Is there no end to your childish name calling?
>>
>>53245403
Yeah, retarded phone.
>>
>>53245659
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caret
>:C
>>
>>53245716
>Please retake logic 101
Please take Latin 101 if you can leave your parent's basement for long enough

>If you believe you're talking to slack-jawed spastics, you might want to reevaluate your life decisions, and possibly question your sanity
I am trying to help OP pick the most appropriate DE for his needs. You on the other hand are muddying the waters by telling him to use ratpoison or whatever ridiculous WM is currently on-trend amongst Archfags.

>Is there no end to your childish name calling?
How appropriate. You fight like a cow.
>>
>>53245811
>>>53245716 (You)
>>Please retake logic 101
>Please take Latin 101 if you can leave your parent's basement for long enough
The more you behave like a child, the more I'm inclined to believe you are a child. Go learn something: http://philosophy.lander.edu/logic/ignorance.html
>>If you believe you're talking to slack-jawed spastics, you might want to reevaluate your life decisions, and possibly question your sanity
>I am trying to help OP pick the most appropriate DE for his needs. You on the other hand are muddying the waters by telling him to use ratpoison or whatever ridiculous WM is currently on-trend amongst Archfags.
Again, very childish. I haven't suggested him anything yet as OP hasn't told us what the root cause of his problem is. You and the others are jumping to conclusions all over the place without helping anyone.
>>Is there no end to your childish name calling?
>How appropriate. You fight like a cow.
If you can't tell arguing from cows fighting, then I'm the least of your problems.
>>
Xfce is really great, you'll have to spend an hour or so customizing it and fiddling with some settings to get everything to your liking.
>>
>>53245922
>The more you behave like a child, the more I'm inclined to believe you are a child. Go learn something: http://philosophy.lander.edu/logic/ignorance.htm
ffs you're supposed to point out that ignorantia is the substantive noun and not a feminine adjective

>Again, very childish. I haven't suggested him anything yet as OP hasn't told us what the root cause of his problem is. You and the others are jumping to conclusions all over the place without helping anyone.
He's a self-confessed Lunix newbie who wants the fastest DE. It's a safe bet that he's put Linux on an old shitbox and Unity isn't running too smoothly.
>>
>>53245969
>>>53245922 (You)
>>The more you behave like a child, the more I'm inclined to believe you are a child. Go learn something: http://philosophy.lander.edu/logic/ignorance.htm
>ffs you're supposed to point out that ignorantia is the substantive noun and not a feminine adjective
No, you were supposed to remember not to appeal to ignorance.

>>Again, very childish. I haven't suggested him anything yet as OP hasn't told us what the root cause of his problem is. You and the others are jumping to conclusions all over the place without helping anyone.
>He's a self-confessed Lunix newbie who wants the fastest DE. It's a safe bet that he's put Linux on an old shitbox and Unity isn't running too smoothly.
>.
He didn't say any of that. All this is mere speculation.
>>
>>53245659
>being this new
:^)
>>
>>53246030
>He didn't say any of that
He literally did say the first half of that, and it's pretty simple to infer the second half from what he said.
>>
>>53243998
When im just shit posting or looking at pron i use gnome3 but when im working i use i3
>>
they're all fast enough unless you're running on ancient hardware or in a VM and limiting its resources.

Just use whichever makes YOU fastest at getting your shit done. None will affect performance of applications in any significant (or even noticeable) way.

For the record, I like Plasma 5 on work systems and i3wm on shit I just want multiple terminal emulators.
>>
wait, do people on /g/ actually not use desktop environments (aside for posting in desktop threads)???
>>
>>53246903
Some of the more autistic NEETs on this board use WMs.
>>
>>53246653
Which still remains an assumption as OP is not even trying to explain his situation.
>>
mate, xcfe, kde, gnome, unity
The problem with mate/gnome/kde is that you can't install the applications without pulling a lot of dependencies, so you might want to use xfce and try out different window managers.
When you find the window manager that works best for you, maybe you should try that without xfce.
>>
>>53245460
So it's a custom file manager and terminal away from a lightweight DE, pretty much.
>>
>>53247150
And a fucking clock, Ahmed.
>>
>>53243998
jwm
>>
File: Xfce logo.png (672 KB, 2000x2000) Image search: [Google]
Xfce logo.png
672 KB, 2000x2000
Xfce a best
>>
>>53247457
>clocks decide whether something is a DE or not
>>
>>53247662
name me a DE that doesn't have a clock you faggot
>>
>>53243998
>Which is the fastest DE?

No desktop environment at all. You don't need one. A DE just provides you with the convenience of having bundled applications like word processing and audio players, but the ones bundled with your DE may not even be the most suitable choices for you.

You can get by with a window manager alone, and choose your own preferred apps from there. Most modern distributions should give you a package manager that simplifies installing new applications. Window managers use substantially few resources, but they'll provide you with a basic GUI, like a desktop background, a slit / taskbar for managing windows, and maybe a few optional features like a system clock display.

Fluxbox and Openbox are popular window managers, but the configuration is generally text-driven. It's not difficult to figure out. Just open the main configuration tile and it's pretty clear what the syntax is for adding or changing window elements.
>>
>>53247782
>recommending a bare wm to someone new to linux
jesus christ you archfags are worse than isis recruiters
>>
File: screenFetch-2016-02-17_14-54-08.png (209 KB, 1440x900) Image search: [Google]
screenFetch-2016-02-17_14-54-08.png
209 KB, 1440x900
CDE. If you're laptop can't run software from the 1990's; I got bad news for ya.
>>
>>53247799

I've never used Arch. I'm strictly a Slackware man.
>>
>>53243998
purely by speed and low resource consumption, it goes like this:

1. openbox + tint (not a DE, but gets honorable mention because of crunchbang)

2. lxde / lxqt

3. xfce

4. mate

5. trinity
>>
how much faster is just a window manager compared to the lightest DE?
>>
>>53247825
How do you handle dependency resolution?
>>
>>53247862

I don't bother with software that involves a lot of dependencies. My system is lean and mean.
>>
>>53247823
>let me just avoid ever using x
>still uses bash
>>
>>53247893
What web browser do you use? Midori can't display 4chan so is a poor choice for shitposting.
>>
>>53247935

The stripped down version of Firefox that was bundled with my distribution.

Why are we playing 20 Questions, Anon?
>>
>>53247840
Sometimes it can be worse, especially if you don't use a compositing manager with your WM. You don't really gain speed just more free ram and slightly less CPU usage which is really only noticeable on older machines. If you want to go full autist you might as well ditch the WM and just use something like this.
https://wmutils.io/
>>
>>53243998
LXDE
Ignore the rest
>>
>>53247979
You don't get to ask the questions.

What file manager are you using?
>>
>>53244757
> windows 3.1
> openly admitting he doesn't understand how themes work
Lol
>>
>>53247914
ksh is my shell of choice. I use bash for a few completions.
>>
>>53248056
/thread
>>
>>53248058

Let me just save you some trouble.

File manager - PCMan FM
Text editor - leafpad
Terminal - st
Music player - Exaile
Video player - MPlayer

Anything else you'd like to know? Perhaps my masturbation habits?
>>
Cinnamon

Move to a wm later if you really want to go lightweight
>>
>>53248145
>Anything else you'd like to know? Perhaps my masturbation habits?
Based on the information supplied, I think I can safely assume that your guiding masturbatory philosophy is "wank early, wank often".Also

>not using thunar
>>
>>53248145
mplayer is deprecated, use mpv.
Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.