[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you keep your family pictures and videos for long term
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 2
File: images(73).jpg (6 KB, 232x217) Image search: [Google]
images(73).jpg
6 KB, 232x217
How do you keep your family pictures and videos for long term storage. Using optical myself atm. Keep re-burning to new discs every few years. And have made printed the importent ones. The re-burning is getting dedious. Surely there is a better way.
>>
>>53243921
>dedious
>>
>>53243921
When you die, even if someone keeps reburning the CDs, there wuold come a time pretty soon when you would not even find an optical drive to read them.

Save your stuff online. A cloud service. Or if you are savvy, just find space on some server hosting and drop your files there. If they are sensitive, make sure to thoroughly encrypt them before uploading. Shouldnt make them impossible for the FBI or your neighbourhood chinese hacker to decrypt, but should keep everyday snooping to a minimum
>>
>>53243997
Not sensitive at all. I'll think about it. Cloud gets me paranoid for reasons. Something about giving my stuff to others. I'll have no controll over them. Something happens to the keepers (bankruptcy,war,zombie apocalypse) and I lose them. But I would be willing to fight for them. The only things I take from a burning building. Stuff I can buy but these moments will be lost forever.
>>
>>53244091
Hey, death is about the only thing i can be sure would happen to you. Dont take it personally.

I understand the paranoia. Just remember to keep decryption instructions for others to find, so your stuff doesn't get permanently lost. Provided your stuff doesnt run into the gigabytes, you can easily share it over more than one host, in different countries if you want.
Mind you i'm not just talking about the coorporate file storage solutions like dropbox, g.Drive, etc, but if you are willing to get your hands dirty, any static website hosting should do for you.
>>
Get them printed and put them in a photo album. My grandma has pics from 60+ years ago. Works well for her.
>>
>>53243921
>Surely there is a better way.
"cloud" storage.

>>53244091
>Cloud gets me paranoid for reasons. Something about giving my stuff to others. I'll have no controll over them.
Encrypt your files *before* uploading them. Then who cares? No one can access your files.

>Something happens to the keepers (bankruptcy,war,zombie apocalypse) and I lose them.
If you have all of the files on your computer, then what is the problem? Keep a local copy of your files and a remote (encrypted) copy.

Storage space is relatively inexpensive (HDDs not SDDs). Have a copy on your 'main' computer, an automatic backup on another computer, and an encrypted cloud backup and you should be set.
>>
>>53243921
Private youtube uploads
>>
Get a NAS it will be worth it for you.
>>
Future will be pic related
>>
>>53244205
Yea, and even that happens to degrade over time.
>>
>>53244325
>drop it on accident
>its fucking gone forever
>>
>>53244325
Just make sure you start your backup on your wedding night so it'll be done by the time your grandkids are getting out of collage
>>
How safe are external hard drives???
>>
>>53244325
>Drops it
>>
>>53244205
I'm wondering, do you know of any 'hardcopy' print methods that are particularly resistant over time? Like rat resistant, weather resistant general wear and tear resistant?
>>
>>53244352
>drop it on the carpet
>nuzzles into it for the rest of time
>>
>be me
> be underage minecraft playing fag
>shared an eric map with my only friend via ubs stick necause no multiplayer
>upload to megaupload to let a classmate study the mobfarm i made
>usb stick gets lost ofc
>Over time i lose interest in MC and stop playing,friend moves to other side of the country
>fast forward 5 years
>try and download my map from megaupload(yeah i did have the link)
>learn about the fbi raid

DO NOT TRUST SERVER SIDE STORAGE(le cloud maymay)
>>
>>53243921
HDD?
>>
>>53243921
I have it on:
My laptop
My desktop
An external hdd
A cheap webhost (rootnerds.com/?d) 5 euro/month. 400GB is enough for me.

Sync it about twice a month
>>
Allow the fond memories to reside solely in your mind.
>>
>>53244644
or spread your shit over multiple servers?
I mean your usb drive got STOLEN, and the lesson you learn in all of this is not to trust server side storage? Where do you think this website is coming to you from?
>>
I upload them to Facebook.
>>
>>53244685
Until parkinsons.

:D
>>
>>53243997
lol

Even 3.5" floppy drives and disks are still manufactured in China. Current production of burners are still in the tens of millions.

I get what you mean, but the idea of not finding ODDs several decades from now is ridiculous. But trusting a cloud service, with all its defects to last that long....you'd need at least TWO services to be safe, even then I doubt it.
>>
>>53244834
I think you meant Alzheimers buddy. Parkinsons is the one that makes you "shake"
>>
>>53243921
I keep everything on an external hard drive and have it all backups to Google Pics.
>>
>>53244861
aah danke internet stranger. Mine must be acting up already
>>
>>53244685
Enough shit has happened already that I remember only when I look at the pics
And I'm only 30
>>
>>53243921
>Surely there is a better way.
There is. It's called M-Disc.
http://www.mdisc.com/
>>
>>53243921
for photos, mega and facebook auto backup
>>
>>53244800
An usb in the cloud?
>>
>>53243921
You can use tapes for large amounts of data (multiple terabytes) , i work in it security, and we store old network data on tapes. also you can use cloud and raid on your local hdds (like i do)
>>
>>53244945
played the advert.
>royalty free happy guitar & xylophone music
NOPE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQENbP8npsw
>>
I have two HDD's so I keep the valuable stuff on both, so if one fails I'll still have it.

Maybe not top of the line security, but I'd wager the odds of both HDD's failing at the same time is fairly low. Unless there's some external damaged to the computer, like a house fire.
>>
>>53243921

Backup in triplicate.

I burn to DVD, and to MDisc, and USB flash drive for convenient access. I check the backups every six months.

Since 2003 none of the DVDs have become unreadable.
>>
>>53244358
laminate the pics?
>>
>storing pictures of your family
Can't you just like...remember how they look?
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.