[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Using wireless mini keyboad as wired keyboard
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 5
File: s-l1600.jpg (238 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
s-l1600.jpg
238 KB, 1200x1200
How hard would it be to convert one of these to work directly over USB? I don't have to wire each key individually to a microcontroller do I? Sounds bulky and tedious. Do some already work over USB? I can't find any comfy handheld keyboards that work wired instead of wireless except this one weird one by ipazzport that also has a huge trackpad above the keyboard and also has terrible stiff keys apparently. I could probably cut the trackpad part off and butcher the shit out of it as an easy fix but I'd rather not since it doesn't look comfy.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-Ultra-thin-Bluetooth-Wireless-Keyboard-for-iOS-Android-phone-Tablet-white-/151827337017?hash=item23599d4f39:g:HVsAAOSwKIpWA3LN

In case you're wondering, yes I'm paranoid about using a bluetooth keyboard. I'd like to pair a handheld wired keyboard with a USB Armory and a little screen for a comfy little device to type and encrypt messages on before moving them to an online device with through QR codes or USB. Whats the point of keeping keys offline if they can infect your device and snag your data pre-encrypted?
>>
>>53241628
kys
>>
File: images.duckduckgo.com.jpg (40 KB, 600x390) Image search: [Google]
images.duckduckgo.com.jpg
40 KB, 600x390
>>53241628
Looks butcherable but idk about them keys.
Is a compromise in order though? Yes I'm in over my head.
>>
>>53241647
Thanks for your input.
>>
>>53241628

Don't talk to me or my son ever again
>>
>>53242010
>stepson
ftfy
>>
File: AK-39-for-web-2.png (248 KB, 640x525) Image search: [Google]
AK-39-for-web-2.png
248 KB, 640x525
>>53241628
comfy tactical waterproof USB keyboard
>only $550
>nightvision version $1500!!
>>
>>53242010
>>53242016

oh fuck forgot pic
>>
>>53241628
I have one of those. They're shit.
Tiny soft silicon buttons.
>>
>>53242033
I think they're pretty decent, I get around 40 wpn with it
>>
>>53242051
Eh I have pudgy fingers so it doesn't help.
>>
>>53242033
Good to know. I figured if it's possible to convert a wireless to wired one I'll shop around for one with comfy reviews. But is that possible?
>>
>>53242031
??
I need a handheld keyboard. You know, for the thumbs.
>>
>>53242070
None that small would be very comfy to use. But the soft buttons on this makes it feel even worse.
>>
>>53242079
What's wrong with bluetooth?
>>
>>53242088
just gtfo, instead of trying to get out the consumerfags so that they'll never come back, you get good advice. Your the cancer killin it
>>
>implying a wired keyboard would make you any safer

http://m.theregister.co.uk/2008/10/20/keyboard_sniffing_attack/

Look at the date on that.

In all reality, you should shore up more likely attack surfaces. If someone were out to get your data, intercepting your keyboard communications would be very far down on the list.
>>
>>53242133
Well the main thing I want to do is use a USB Armory to protect keys and to input text. It would be cool to do this without two entire laptops out. I want to be comfy and secure. I might just get another Motorola Lapdoc
>>
>>53242091
I just feel silly designing something meant for security around the USB Armory and using bluetooth... I know that if someones targeting me for bluetooth sniffing I'm probably already fucked but it's the principle. And my autism.
>>
>>53242192
I left out that it bluetooth feels like a silly choice also because the thing will be a standalone single use device, I may as well hardwire it together and not charge multiple devices.
>>
>>53242133
that's pretty cool
>>
>>53242192
What you want to do is going to be difficult and highly dependent on what keyboard you get. I would just give up on modifying a keyboard and make one yourself.
>>
>>53242172

Why don't you use Qubes? Keep your keys on a VM that doesn't have network access and then secure copy the encrypted text out to you main VM.
>>
>>53242212
Even back when I thought it would be neato to build one of these (went with a Motorola Lapdock and Odroid instead) I thought that using a wireless keyboard that requires charging seemed silly, even though it's the easiest option.
>>
>>53242225
Make one myself? That seems way harder than taking an existing one and wiring up the traces of each key to a teensy microcontroller. How do I make a keyboard that small from scratch? I do plan on making my own mechanical keyboard someday. But I'm not trying to actually get anything prototyped or manufactured with this keyboard thing.
>>
>>53242229
Qubes is amazing and I love it but hardware isolation is the tits! Wouldn't having a tiny handheld to type and encrypt messages on be sweet? And then it can transfer the encrypted message to any online device via USB keyboard emulation, file transfer or even QR code photo transfer.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (61 KB, 1280x724) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
61 KB, 1280x724
>>53242238
shit forgot pic I meant when i used to want one of these
>>
>>53242272

Why don't you buy an older Android phone, like an S3, rip out the Bluetooth and wireless modules and just use that? It's easy and relatively safe.
>>
>>53242295
I've thought about that. Actually I just lost a bid for a super comfy nokia n900... $70!
However the USB Armory has some pretty cool features like secure boot and USB UID emulation. Also can be used as an encrypted storage device. There are quite a few possibilities.
>>
>>53241628

1. You're autistic as fuck
2. Your idea sounds fucking dumb as shit.
3. http://www.keyglove.net/2011/03/15/interfacing-with-a-bcm2042-bp20422-bluetooth-hid-module/
That's probably the best utility you could use for reverse engineering how the shit these things are sending HID input over bluetooth. It's likely a one-chip solution, meaning you're going to have to find a commercial keyboard with a chip/board small enough to fit in a custom package, that you can wire that shitty little silicone PoS to, and no idea if you'd lose access to the function keys or not.
4. http://usb.brando.com/prod_detail.php?prod_id=00666
Bigger but gets the job done, wired not wireless.
>>
>>53242390
>1&2
ok
>3. http://www.keyglove.net/2011/03/15/interfacing-with-a-bcm2042-bp20422-bluetooth-hid-module/
I almost feel like just wiring a little microcontroller to the keys would be easier. Lots of DIY keyboard examples out there.
>4. http://usb.brando.com/prod_detail.php?prod_id=00666
This is almost good enough. Not comfy status though.

Thanks for your input
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.