[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
is shadowbanning ethical? why or why not
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 9
File: 1456344251076.png (1 MB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
1456344251076.png
1 MB, 1080x1920
is shadowbanning ethical?
why or why not
>>
>>>/r/eddit
>>
What makes shadowbanning unethical or immoral?
>>
no, it's effective as hell and keeps the trolls away
>>
When shadows are banned, only criminals have shadows.
>>
Is a man not entitled to the shadow of his own body? No, says the man in Washington, it belongs to the government!
>>
>>53242594
>keeps trolls away
Decent trolls are IP banned. The only people who are shadow banned on any website are people who said something out of line from circle jerk thought, or who said something controversial.
>>
>>53242723
There is no sizzle or spice in a forum, if you ban all forms of controversy.
>>
4chan would be better with shadowbans.

prove me wrong
>>
>>53242745
Would you like to be shadowbanned?
>>
>>53242751
no, i don't break the rules.
>>
It takes 15 minutes to write a plugin or a script to find that out.
>>
>>53242759
>no
Q.E.D.
>>
>>53242766
so you actually enjoy the scat-posting anti-macfag?

with shadowbans you would never see him on /g/ again
>>
wouldn't it make more sense to tell users to block other people?
>>
>>53242759
What did the original message say?
>>
>>53242766
>>53242784
also, i don't want to be ip banned, either, but you have to admit that 4chan is better with ip bans, too.

unless you enjoy cp spam.

i have yet to be proven wrong
>>
File: Untitled.png (170 KB, 851x835) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
170 KB, 851x835
>>53242774
>with shadowbans you would never see him on /g/ again
Behold! One click!
>>
I used to run a chan. My thoughts are that shadowbanning is dishonest, lacks transparency. Not good things for moderators or administrators.

It can be temporarily effective, but the kinds of humans who make new accounts when they're banned, or change IP addresses when they're banned, learned about shadowbanning and now check for it, and it really pisses them off. It works better on bots than humans, but bots don't really care because they'll always try again in an hour.

It's a great way to piss off users on shared IP addresses that got themselves banned by the actions of other users, too. The admins don't find out because of the shadow.

Also it means extra logic to show certain posts only to certain users and try to hide that fact. Kiss bye-bye to any caching.

I just don't see it as an effective or honest technique, either technically or from a community management point of view.
>>
>>53242736
Pretty much this, or at least in the context of generals.

For example I think it's not out of line for someone to get banned if they go on about 9/11 conspiracy theories on, say, evga forums.

But in generals in shit people overlook the fact that ideological diversity really makes things more interesting and facilitates actual discussion in some cases. This is the problem with Reddit for example: people are driven through a points system to make posts that the popular community can relate to so it's either an echo chamber at best or a hugbox at worst.

On 4chan you can put two rabid fanboys in a thread together and let them duke it out and watch.
>>
>>53242794
>having to hide entire threads because some autist spams scat

no, that is not good for discussion.
>>
>>53242774
You know you can just filter his posts right?
>>
Shadowbanning is easy as fuck to check for, it doesn't stop flooding and it pisses people off in general.
>>
>>53242792
>unless you enjoy cp spam.

>current year
>not being poya (person of young age) lover

DIE CIS SCUM
>>
>>53242851
>it pisses people off
That's kind of the point. Users that are actively trying to ruin a forum deserve to be pissed off.
>>
>>53242859
They do not get pissed and then go to bed angry. They return to defecate all over your forum with a sense of purpose. They dedicate themselves to smearing dung until their ego is satisfied, and their ego is never satisfied.
>>
>>53242876
>They return to defecate all over your forum with a sense of purpose.
So we should IP range ban India then
>>
4chan shadowbans
>>
>>53242876
But how will they find out that they're shadowbanned?
Throw in a bot that quotes their posts and they'll never know. It would be hard to implement, but if done properly, it would work and improve the overall quality of the forum.
>>
>>53242900
No.
>>
>>53242736
>all forms
Not all forms, only the ones the mods/admins/whatever don't want to see, like #WhichClinton being an instant shadowban while #NeverTrump isn't.

They're not banning all forms of controversy, only the one that disagrees with them.
>>
>>53242809
I disagree with you, FUCK YOU AND YOUR FAMILY
>>
File: will window2 009.jpg (310 KB, 1600x1600) Image search: [Google]
will window2 009.jpg
310 KB, 1600x1600
I wish I wasn't shadowbanned.
>>
>>53243056
I can see your comment buddy, you're not alone
>>
>>53242745
your a horrible troll but im going to bite anyway

there is almost no circumstances where shadow banning would be used
you either follow the rules or break them so much so that your IP banned
that is the only way
>>
>>53242810
>4chan
>expecting no scat spamming macfags
>>
File: TRIGGERED.gif (36 KB, 170x200) Image search: [Google]
TRIGGERED.gif
36 KB, 170x200
I'd like delayed bans with a trigger phrase.
>shitpost thread is made with a copypasta
>bans poster and deletes the thread 15 minutes later
I'd also like a scorched-earth type ban that bans everyone who replies to obvious shitposting.
No more
>weak b8 m8
>lefish.jpg
>>
>>53243145
Reset IP rinse and repeat.
>>
>>53242774
>so you actually enjoy the scat-posting anti-macfag?
I do, because I hide and filter mac threads one way or the other. It doesn't really affect me.

But it does help drive mac faggots off this board.
>>
>>53243157
Yea, no shit.
At least we won't have to wait for the hot-pocket priests to do it manually.
>>
>>53241246
No shadowbanning is needed. Just rangeban all Indian IP addresses and mobile browser agents.
Smartphone and related threads are drastically reduced.
>>
File: Shadow_the_hedgehog.jpg (343 KB, 1262x2295) Image search: [Google]
Shadow_the_hedgehog.jpg
343 KB, 1262x2295
>>53241246
>>53242594
>>53242723
This is 4chin so yeah shaddow bans are great be careful what you say or you'll be shaddowbanned : ^ )

Seriously, does anybody even know who runs and funds this site anymore?
>>
>>53243200
An Hiro
>>
>>53243200
some indian shitposting curry nigger
i think they called him an Hiro
>>
>>53242908
>open thread on your phone
>see if your post is visible
Congratulations, you just found out if you're shadowbanned.
>>
Shadowbans would be fun!
>>
>>53241246
what is shadowbanning ?
>>
>>53243691
You're banned without knowing it. You still think you can post, but only you end up seeing your posts and to everyone else you're nonexistent.
>>
>>53243691
You get banned but you don't know it, your posts appear but only to you.

It's not jard to figure out from above posts, K didn't knkw either.
>>
>>53243691
>Troll gets banned.
>He continues to post and shit continues to work for him.
>Nobody else can see his posts.
>Troll wonders why nobody is (You)ing him
>Troll checks thread using his phone
>Doesn't see his posts
>Troll resets IP address
>Troll continues Trolling again
>>
>>53243710
Ignore it, what the other anon said, I'm on phone.
>>
>>53243709
>>53243710
>>53243718

hmm, ok. but that's not necessarily benefic for anyone compared to how it is now.
>>
Shadowbans are as greasy and underhanded as invisible bumplocks desu
>>
Instead of shadowbanning, there should be shadowrealming.
Banned posters are redirected to a copy of the site so there aren't caching issues. They can post on the copy, and the copy routinely fetches and updates with the information of the main site.
All the banned posters can talk to each other in the shadow realm, but they only can read what the non banned people say.
>>
>>53243198
>hot-pocket priests

what is a hot pocket priest
>>
File: for free.jpg (54 KB, 508x512) Image search: [Google]
for free.jpg
54 KB, 508x512
>>53244609
>>
Shadow banning is a really shitty way of dealing with bans. You need to inform the user of their mistake and the reason for the ban, otherwise it's unethical. There needs to be transparency otherwise corrupt mods can easily abuse the system.
>>
>>53244677
mods are always corrupted
>>
>>53244703
always
>>
>>53243646
Hes_right_you_know.png
>>
File: sauron-eye.jpg (122 KB, 620x387) Image search: [Google]
sauron-eye.jpg
122 KB, 620x387
>>53244718
Yes, power corrupts.
>>
>>53244718
It would explain all the deleted posts on Leddit I guess.
>>
>>53244677
>otherwise it's unethical

No ethics are involved. You don't owe anything to trolls/shitposters/etc. They add nothing of value and a ban only makes them angry and more determined to evade and start shit again.

But as >>53243718 said, it's harder to enforce if people are using multiple devices. Though shadowbanning is still arguably more effective.
>>
>>53244677
This.
>>
>>53242794

If only tripfags could be hidden with such ease
>>
>>53244482
That sounds fun. I'd like to get banished with my fellow shadow bros and make fun of some faggots together.
>>
Shadowbanning trolls trolls, so it's perfectly within the spirit of the old testament at last.
>>
It's great.

If someone is shitting up a site by posting troll threads, being an ass hole, bating for comments, reposting the same shit over and over, then letting their content be avaliable only to them let's them think they're being ignored by the comunity.

They'll loose intrest as opposed to just doing what everyone does and restarting their router for a different IP.
>>
>>53244950
/thread
>>
>>53244832
It isn't just trolls/shitposters that get shadow banned.

Also one man's shitpost is anothers quality content.

Speech should be as free as possible on a forum. The only things that should cause bans are actionable threats, illegal content, and spam that is at a level that threatens the site's ability to function.
>>
>shadowban
IT'S HELLBAN, FUCKING REDDITOR, HELLBAN.
GOD FUCKING DAMN, FUCK OFF BACK TO YOUR SITE.
>>
>>53244938

Fuck that. There is only one appropiate response to trolls
>>
Shadowbans are like giving the government too much power. They say they need it, but eventually it just gets abused. On reddit they shadow banned people who said controversial things, or things they simply disagreed with. That could happen pretty much anywhere.
>>
>>53242809
Absolutely 100% spot on. I've been thinking lately about how, bizarrely, some of the most honest discussion comes from the truly anonymous nature of chans, whereas reddit has a lot of the pitfalls of forum culture, like board celebrities and such. This forms an uneven basis for discussion that I think you're less likely to see on any genuinely anonymous format.
>>
>>53245481
>board celebreties
We already have tripfags, who are essentially celebrities on here.
>>
File: 1456008338405.png (595 KB, 572x573) Image search: [Google]
1456008338405.png
595 KB, 572x573
>>53245879
Precisely why I don't want tripfagging in any form, if it can be helped. This includes people who tend to post the same pictures over and over again to at least simulate tripfagging.
>pic related: a literal celebrity
>>
>>53243145

This actually did happen on /o/ back when moot dedicated a nazi mod to ruin the board. It was effective, yes, but the problem was the mod banned people for entirely related posts as well. I think he was from reddit since his whole mentality was about banning everything *he* didn't like.

It started in January 2010 and continued for like 6 months, usually it takes less for mods to realize they don't matter but this guy was so hell bent on making /o/ new next reddit that he used hours of his day banning people for minuscule shit.

There was a resident black guy who everyone knew was black, he even posted himself on the board but he still got banned because he had the word "nig" in his name.
Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.