[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What linux distro do you use on your home server and why?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 4
File: 2000px-Tux.svg.png (458 KB, 2000x2320) Image search: [Google]
2000px-Tux.svg.png
458 KB, 2000x2320
What linux distro do you use on your home server and why?
>>
Recently upgraded to Ubuntu 14.04 coz just werks.
>>
Debian 7
Stable, and the distro I'm most comfortable with
>>
>>53230222
Install Kwheezy.
>>
Raspbian because my "home server" is just a RPi running Apache.
>>
Debian. It's fucking stable.
>>
Ubuntu 16.04
>>
Debian. It just werks.
>>
>>53230222
Ubuntu 14.04 on the big one, Xubuntu 15.10 on the mid one, Windows XP Embedded on the small one.
On my laptop I have Windows 7 and Linux Mint 17.3, but I'm prolly switching to OSX soon idk.
>>
>>53230222
I use NetBSD because I like it. It and OpenBSD give me the fewest "why the fuck is this like that" moments out of anything I've tried.
>>
Ubuntu 14.04 on the primary server. Mostly because it was the first distro I installed and I just haven't bothered to install something else despite having a slight distaste for ubuntu. Next time I install an OS it'll be Debian
On the lighter server I have Debian Wheezy. I'm not quite sure why I installed Debian, but I think I'll stick with it until it reaches end of support. At that point I'll either avoid systemd like the plague and go with gentoo, or go full systemd and install fedora's server version
>>
>>53230562
I switched from Ubuntu 12.04 to FreeBSD + Ezjail a month ago; BSD really feels like the way to go these days.
>>
>>53230222
[email protected].
>>
>>53230562
How's the hardware support on these? I was under the impression it's extremely limited.
>>
I build my own server with arch to ensure that my server is bit for bit efficient!
>>
Void Linux on a raspberry pi, which is probably a horrible idea, but at least I'm only using 9 MB memory for my web, ftp, irc and git server.
>>
>>53230683
>way to go these days
the way to go fuck yourself
>>
>>53230742
"Extremely limited" is not how I'd call it. Like on Linux, what you have to be careful about is graphics cards and laptop network cards. Both are irrelevant for a home server.

I've had a pretty good success rate for BSDs on laptops, too, but I mostly use older Thinkpads anyway, so YMMV.
>>
>>53230914
I'll take a closer look on their respective sites. I never would have even considered them previously. Thanks.
>>
>>53230222
Gentoo.
Use flags and shared portage database and shared distfiles mean my other devices don't need to sync or carry those.
>>
Fedora
>>
>>53230222
Debian jessie
>>53230293
You know that you can install normal debian on it, right?
>>
centos

set it and forget it
>>
FreeBSD.

I know it's not Linux but that's exactly why I choose it.
>>
>>53231460
What's the point to install normal debian on a rpi? Maybe the repos are shit?
>>
File: 1215495746542.png (304 KB, 606x468) Image search: [Google]
1215495746542.png
304 KB, 606x468
>>53231614
>>
>>53231646
Yes, normal debian repos are much more reliable
>>
>>53230344
Was running this but the kernel can't even do secure erase. S m h t b h f a m
>>
>>53230337
This desu~
>>
>Linux
What a pleb
SmartOS for ezpz VMs
>>
>>53230222
>having a home server
Grandpa, you have to evolve, nobody uses this kind of things anymore, why not just use a cloud ?
>>
File: ubuntu-logo-transparent.png (71 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
ubuntu-logo-transparent.png
71 KB, 300x300
>>53230222

Ubuntu. Because, er, it's Ubuntu.
>>
home server? arch on the rpi2 i have doing that function.

vps is the ubungu lts.
>>
>>53234520
>Ubuntu. Because, er, it's Ubuntu.
Oh, that's so sad.
>>
Scientific Linux.
>>
>>53230222
1 has slackware but my slackbuild repo runs plan9 on a few raspberry pis
>>
>>53230222
Arch Linux.

Not even joking, their repos and AUR is very useful for server stuff, always updated and very stable even.

You just need to save your config files elsewhere or pacman may fuck you in the ass
>>
>>53232787
are all home servers on the net?
>>
>>53230804
plan9 2mb on pi
>>
File: server.png (10 KB, 804x484) Image search: [Google]
server.png
10 KB, 804x484
>>53230222
Gentoo because I used to be into linux as a hobby.

Now it seems like too much work to maintain, but I don't want to go through the trouble of backing up my shit and reinstalling.

Also, debian would be my choice if I were to reinstall
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.