[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you think we could start a Linux Gaming general on here or on /vg/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 6
Do you think we could start a Linux Gaming general on here or on /vg/?
>>
>>>/v/
>>
here so all the gaming fags will go to the general and stay there.
>>
games are non-free software
>>
File: 587_large.png (7 KB, 559x470) Image search: [Google]
587_large.png
7 KB, 559x470
>>53229734
love to, ... as soon as someone tells me some Linux games that are not knockoffs of old 80s games with penguins replacing the main character.

>>53229882
This is a work-safe board, please don't post this kind of stuff. Or the Mods will get you.
>>
Might have well just call it Dota2 and CSGO general.
>>
>>53230109
>>53230326

Also Wakfu, Albion and other MMO's, as well as Valve's works etc. The reason for starting a general is so that Linux players can find the few good games worth playing on linux.
>>
/vg/ would be a good fit - maybe call it *nix gaming to include mac gamers since there's a lot of overlap
>>
I'd join from time to time, I like to see what I can get radeonsi to play on my 270x and a10-7850k. So far successful at everything except dead island, including shadow of mordor
>>
>>53229734
>linux gaming general
Unless there is a way we can discuss dosbox and emulators for several threads without getting old, I don't see how or why.
>>
>>53232749
There's a reason OP posted Valve as his pic. They're saving Linux gaming by porting many of the world's top games to it. Dota, Counter Strike, etc. all have highly optimized ports.
>>
>>53229734
>>>/v/
>>>/vg/
Unless you wanna talk about the tech in the games like their engines /g/ is not the place.
>>
If anyone is looking for mmos:

Warhammer online works in wine with return of reckoning private server

Daoc (rvr siege style warfare) works well with wine. Private server genesis or lethantis pvp.

Wow plays well with wine - can do all the WOD raids.

I've been primarily gaming with linux for the last year or so but still dual boot from time to time. If you want specific genre recommendations ill let u know what I've found.
>>
>Why do my games run slower on Linux than on Windows?
>I dunno, it's probably MS's fault though
>>Playing video games like a man child
>Fuck Windows 10!
There you go, there's the thread
>>
>>53229734
How does CS:GO on linux compare to OSX?

I've tried on two different macbooks and both have horrible variation in the frame rate and horrible input lag. I tried running windows on one of them and everything played fine.
>>
>>53234719

go spend your parents money on autistic internet guns in >>>/v/
>>
File: download.jpg (4 KB, 357x141) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
4 KB, 357x141
>>53229734

Here, SteamOS best Linux btw
>>
>>53234756
meh, maybe for living room gaming.
>>
File: 1455943287744.jpg (63 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
1455943287744.jpg
63 KB, 960x720
>>53232767
>highly optimized
>>
Linux gaming is a lost cause. Valve failed before they even began pushing Linux as a gaming platform. Why could I play 1/20th of the library of games that I own at 1/3 the fps?
>>
>>53234840
>Linux gaming is a lost cause
He says before Wayland and Vulkan become the norm.
>>
>>53234840
Because you don't want to reboot to your other OS just to play games
>>
>>53230047
This, and this is why companies don't make things for linux except for few who likes linux
>>
>>53234807
AMD user detected
>>
>>53234743
>parent's money
>implying work didn't give me a macbook

but ya, I guess this is the wrong place for this thread. Self sageing.
>>
>>53230416
Just use Windows if you play games
>>
>>53234952
but i don't like windows ;_;
>>
>>53234952
but all my games work just fine on Linux.
>>
>gaming general
>on /g/
>when we have an entire board for game generals

Think about how retarded this is just for a second.
>>
File: 254131.png (411 KB, 800x967) Image search: [Google]
254131.png
411 KB, 800x967
>using a FOSS operating system
>get mad as hell and talking shit about windows and OSX for evil closed source
>all while sucking valves fat proprietary cock for non-free games

Linux users have to be the most delusional and hypocritical group of computer users on earth.
>>
>>53235331
It's almost as if there's multiple people using Linux
>>
Steam may be the biggest legal source of games in general, but it's not the only "game" in town. GOG.com offers DRM-free games and has a healthy Linux section.
>>
>>53229734

Stop trying to be different.

Use Win10 and understand that if the government wants to monitor you they will, irrespective of your OS.

Get win10 and stop being an edge lord
>>
>>53235802
only valid answer
>>
>>53235599
GOG's linux support is garbage
They don't even bother packaging linux versions of DOSbox with DOS games
>>
>>53234854
yeah

those devs who used directx for their entire careers will be switching super fast so they can make no money
>>
>>53235331
don't forget about the drivers!
>>
>>53235802
I use Linux because it doesn't have a "Windows Driver Foundation" that you can't disable using all available CPU cycles at all times
>>
>>53235599
I wish GOG actually gave out like floppy/disc images for old games. I don't want 60 dosbox installations or all the cruft that comes with it.
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.