[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Study STEM they said... >http://www.latimes.com/business
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 4
File: 1278737445735.png (10 KB, 599x521) Image search: [Google]
1278737445735.png
10 KB, 599x521
Study STEM they said...

>http://www.latimes.com/business/hiltzik/la-fi-mh-the-scandal-of-engineering-visas-20160226-column.html
>>
>>53225058
Here's some advice: Don't do anything that feels 'off'.
>>
>>53225058
>does the bare minimum to scrape by with a degree
>COMPANIES OWE ME A JOB!!! I HAVE A DEGREEEE!!!!

Fucking entitled shits.
>>
>>53225106
But that's literally everything.

>>53225193
>defending the ability of businesses to bribe the government to buy indentured workers to replace you
>>
>>53225058
>Corporate America has been pushing to expand the H-1B program
>STEM is the problem, not corporations!
>>
>>53225193
But companies don't care about higher grades
>>
>>53225058
>"The vast majority of H-1Bs who are coming in have no more than ordinary IT skills," Hira testified.
>import workers, mostly from India, to replace Americans in middle-level IT jobs.
>These workers aren't uniquely skilled engineering grand masters, but are rank-and-file IT often with bachelor's degrees and supplementary on-the-job training.

lmao IT
>>
>>53225304
All I know is I wish I became a plumber instead of going to college these past 3 years.
>>
>>53225349
Go be a plumber now.
>>
>>53225394
Go be a plumber, start paying back your loans.

Or whine. Whining is good. Whine on Patreon or Tumblr. It actually pays.
>>
File: 1401851219111.png (249 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1401851219111.png
249 KB, 500x375
>>53225058
>>
>>53225394
>lives in thr land of the free
Hahahahaha
>>
People don't realize that a bachelor degree from India is worth much more than a master degree from the US.
That happens after 50+ years of dumping down the education system.
>>
I live in Silicon Valley, its India without the poo everywhere.
>>
File: eversource-energy.jpg (253 KB, 620x413) Image search: [Google]
eversource-energy.jpg
253 KB, 620x413
This is nothing new. H1-B visas have been fucked for years. They artificially depress wages. Also, the employee under H1-B is not allowed to leave the company that sponsored the H1-B visa in the first place or get fired - or they have to leave the United States (except in the rare case where they can find another employer that wants them so badly that they'll sponsor taking over the H1-B visa). For $10k-$15k, you essentially get a resource by the balls. You salary him at a salary below what you'd pay an American worker and he'll work long hours because he doesn't want to be sent back to India.

Pic related is from Eversource Energy, an American utility. They started replacing their workers with foreign workers on H1-B visas. Their severance packages included an anti-disparagement clause. So they started hanging tiny American flags on their cubes - flags that disappeared as each American was laid off.
>>
>>53225491
If H1-Bs are so great then why is Google still paying $200k a year for new grads instead of importing 10 poos for the same price?
>>
>>53225540
Google can afford both options, they import top us scholars and hundreds of poos
>>
>>53225557
> Facebook has been the most lucrative company for H-1B visa holders thus far in 2015 (of the five companies above), with a median salary of $135K across all positions. But how do the companies stack up for specific roles?
Good companies pay their imported poos the same as the natives, so they will only import those who are actually worth it. It's your own damn fault for being inadequate.
>>
>>53225576
The problem is that most companies are not "good" in the sense of the H1-B program. They want a qualified resource and they want to control them.

Infosys and TCS got 12,432 of the non-exempt H1-B visas in 2013 (Cap is 65,000, so these two companies got 19% of the available visas). They then go and replace American workers.

Google, Facebook, and Microsoft want to raise the cap because they want a glut of supply of workers, which will depress prices on getting that supply. It's not that qualified talent doesn't exist in the US, it's not at the price they want. They want people like Marcosoft Rubio to triple the current cap to 190K+ visas per year. This would mean that over 400K more workers (135K per year * 3 years = 405K) would be available in the US economy, which would be disastrous for IT wages.

Google was one of the high tech companies in silicon valley who followed the "no cold calling" policy to reduce turnover that would cost them money and they had to settle over it:
http://www.lieffcabraser.com/Antitrust/Apple-Google-Silicon-Valley-No-Cold-Calling.shtml

But here's an example of how the system actually works:
I went to University in the US, I'm American. My roommate is Indian. Senior year comes up and he applies for a job at a major consulting company. They interview him and like him. He's a *good* candidate, but he's not American, and there's really no skill of his that justifies hiring him over an American. So after his interview, they write the job posting based of his resume. Must be fluent in Hindi, must have 1.5 years experience with visual basic, etc. (basically, write the job posting backwards so only he can fill it, even if the requisite skills aren't really required for the job).

He then gets hired, and while he gets paid fairly well (they charge $500/hr for his time) they raise his salary much more slowly. He also works 60-80 hour weeks.

And then that job became unavailable to an American.
>>
>>53225576
>every person whose job gets outsourced deserves it
good goy
>>
What should you go into then anons? I'm worried as fuck.
>>
>>53225663
Pajkeet makes 2 million a year? I'd (almost) work 80 hours a week for that.
>>
>>53225706
Company does not owe you a job.
>>
>>53225740
The company charges $500/hr for his time. He doesn't get paid nearly that amount.

I don't make $100K/yr, but my company charges $3,000 a day for my time.
>>
>>53225747
No, but your government does owe you not changing the law in exchange for money so the company can fuck you. You see the difference?
>>
>>53225449
That just means that the condition of having poo everywhere in India is a result of the environment and not the culture

>you could build all the toilets in the world for India and they would probably actually poo in them
>>
File: german_migrant_toilet.jpg (112 KB, 596x705) Image search: [Google]
german_migrant_toilet.jpg
112 KB, 596x705
>>53225815
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daayan
>Daayan (Hindi: डायन) or Daayani is a term for a witch in India descended from the Sanskrit word dakini, which refers to a female supernatural being. The dakini appeared in medieval legends in North India such as in the Bhagavata Purana, Brahma Purana, Markandeya Purana and Kathasaritsagara as a demon in the train of Kali who feeds on human flesh
>In Harangul it is believed that daayan lives in an area of the village, and an evil spirit resides within them. Villagers believe these women destroy everything good. Daayans are reported in and around cemeteries, abandoned battlefields, crossroads, toilets and squalid places.
tl;dr they believe in toilet witches

>http://www.planetcustodian.com/2015/10/03/7873/indian-villagers-worshiping-newly-built-toilets-instead-of-using-them.html
>Indian villagers worshiping newly built toilets instead of using them
>At one of such homes in poverty stricken rural India, residents inaugurated a newly built toilet by performing proper pooja (worship or ritual performance). The toilet seat and floor of toilet was covered with flowers, while coconut and bananas were offered to the God of toilets (if something like that exists).
>Most likely, this toilet, like millions of others which were built during the period of last 12 months, might not be used. It’s a reality and a huge obstacle for Clean India Campaign that despite availability of toilets, people, especially males, prefer to defecate in open. West mocks at India’s obsession for worshiping cows, stones and pervert self-claimed godmen, such as Assaram Bapu, who serves a prison term for rape of a minor girl studying in one of his schools. So, toilet worship shouldn’t be a surprise in rural regions where people have never seen one.
tl;dr they worship toilets instead of using them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixJgY2VSct0
tl;dr even when toilets are available many indians just prefer to shit outside
>>
>>53225058
I'm looking to be one of those H1B pricks, and I'm currently being educated in-country. Your jobs aren't being stolen, you're all just bad at them. Americans have poor work ethic and shit attention spans, whereas only the best foreigners end up here. If you want to stop getting rekt, try putting as much effort into your work as you put into your superbowl parties.
>>
>>53225896
>Your jobs aren't being stolen, you're all just bad at them
http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2015/10/28/ahead-of-gop-debate-two-ex-disney-workers-displaced-by-h1b-foreigners-speak-out-for-first-time/
>“Just months before the holidays and on the heels of a great performance review, no less. A VP invites David Powers and Leo Perrero into his office, both expecting pats on the back. Instead they hear the dreaded words: You are being laid off,” ABC 7’s Rebecca Vargas wrote from Orlando, Florida, before quoting both Powers and Perrero.
>“I’m in the room with about two-dozen people, and very shortly thereafter an executive delivers the news that all of our jobs are ending in 90 days, and that we have 90 days to train our replacements then we won’t get a bonus that we’ve been offered,” Perrero added.
Don't kid yourself. The primary way the H1-B is used by corporations in the US is to depress wages by having you do the same job (or put in substantial effort exempt from overtime) for less money.

The fact is, the H1-B visa is intended to be used where there is no qualified talent in the US. The point is not supposed to be about effort, it's supposed to be that zero qualified people exist in the US so the talent needs to be imported at a price exceeding the prevailing wage. Instead, companies create a fiction and pay someone far less to do the same job.
>>
>>53225896
no

>In fiscal 2015, Hira testified, 41% of the jobs approved by the government for H-1B visas were at the lowest skill levels for the jobs, which applies to "beginning level employees who have only a basic understanding of the occupation [and] perform routine tasks,"

you're just part of that 41% now.
>>
Friendly reminder Disney is responsible for our fucked up copyright laws.
>>
>>53225971
That's not my concern really, it's yours.
>>53225984
I'm in CS, and I'll tell you that every top student in my field and any top students in anything else I know are all foreigners, and everyone they know of on top is a foreigner save for a few students who I don't personally know. The Americans come to us for help when things get too hard because we're always making it look easy. I'm not sure where this brain drain is coming from, but you people need to get your shit together. I'm serious when I say attention span is an issue, I've rarely met an American student who can actually sit through a 2 hour lecture or study for more than half an hour without getting bored and distracted, or who can do work without browsing facebook in another tab.
>>
>>53226024
>That's not my concern really, it's yours.
That's the one thing you agree on, but I debunked your assertions from >>53225896
is the point.

Some people wonder why people like trump and it's because he takes positions that few politicians take, some of these being important enough for single issue voters.

http://www.zdnet.com/pictures/h1b-visas-and-us-presidential-candidates-a-primer/
>It is an understatement to say that Trump is against the H1B visa. He positively loathes it, and has withering criticism for Marco Rubio, whom he considers a lackey to Silicon Valley and Mark Zuckerberg in particular, calling him the Facebook founder's "personal senator". What really gets his goat about Rubio is the Florida Senator's past plan to triple H1Bs, which he says would "decimate women and minorities".
>Trump thinks that the STEM (people in the fields of science, technology, engineering and math) shortage is a malicious myth. "We graduate two times more Americans with STEM degrees each year than find STEM jobs, yet as much as two-thirds of entry-level hiring for IT jobs is accomplished through the H1B program," the campaign's position paper said. It also maintained that more than half of H1B visas are issued for the program's lowest allowable wage level, and more than 80 percent for its bottom two, the Trump campaign said, although there's plenty of heated debate around this issue.
>Consequently, Trump proposes to raise the minimum wage for foreign H1B hires to "force companies to give these coveted entry-level jobs to the existing domestic pool of unemployed native and immigrant workers in the US, instead of flying in cheaper workers from overseas", a stance that he underscored during his most recent presidential debate.
>>
>>53225193
>decide to dedicate years to a field of study and prepare yourself intellectually for your future
>sorry you really should have done one more internship, shouldn't have quit that part time job at burger king to focus on your grades, plus you didn't even have a leadership position in the chess club

Fucking entitled millennials am I right, wanting an income source and shelter like their parents had?
>>
>>53226039
>debunked
By doing what exactly? Just because we take less pay doesn't mean we're also not better qualified. It seems you're making a false equivalence between pay and work quality.
>>
>>53226072
>Just because we take less pay doesn't mean we're also not better qualified
True but not the point. Also far from reality. (I have first hand experience with having to review the resumes and attend interviews with candidates that would need H1-B's, recommending against them, they get hired anyways, and then I have to train them and it is apparent that they lied during the interview and on their resume).

https://www.dailykos.com/story/2013/4/1/1198459/-H-1B-Guest-Worker-Fraud-and-the-Lacking-Skills-Scam
>A federal government study concluded that 20% of the H-1B applications are fraudulent in some respect. An entire cottage industry of firms that obtain H-1B workers and then "loan" them to another employer has cropped up. One such firm has been convicted of repeated violations of the program, was fined and excluded for a year.
>In the video below immigration attorneys from Cohen & Grigsby explain how they assist employers in running classified ads with the goal of NOT finding any qualified applicants; and the steps they go through to disqualify even the most qualified Americans in order to secure green cards for H-1B workers.
>[...]
>Lawrence M. Lebowitz, the marketing director of the Pittsburgh law firm of Cohen & Grigsby, told executives at its Immigration Law Update Seminar how to advertise to make it look like there are no qualified U.S. workers. "Our goal clearly is not to find a qualified and interested U.S. worker,"

The H1-B problem is simple to solve: Hike the minimum salary so entry level jobs where they're training resources from scratch are more expensive to staff with foreign candidates. If they really need a resource so badly that has this super special skill no American has, it will still be worth the time + money to apply for a visa and pay that person something closer to the prevailing wage.
>>
>>53226121
>Also far from reality
All I know is what I see, and what I see is lazy inept Americans being replaced by slightly less lazy and usually much less inept foreigners. Sure Panjeet from Pooinloo, India is going to lie, but the majority of us are Brazillian or European, and we don't.

There's also no need to keep greentexting parts of articles, it just makes you look salty and I'm not reading them beyond a passing glance.
>>
>>53226159
>Sure Panjeet from Pooinloo, India is going to lie, but the majority of us are Brazillian or European, and we don't.
http://www.americanbazaaronline.com/2015/08/12/indians-got-86-of-h-1b-visas-for-tech-firms-issued-by-the-us-in-2014/
>New data reveals that 86% of the total H1B visas issued in 2014 for technology firms was used to hire IT professionals from India.
>The data accessed by Computerworld through Right of Information Act, reveals that a lion share of visas issued for computer jobs are claimed by Indians.

I know several people on H1-B from Brazil and most of them are hardworking, smart people. However, 13% is not a majority. The majority of visas go to firms like Infosys, TCS, etc.
>>
Kill all H-1B holders. Murder them in social media, harrass them in person, out every single one of them to be deported.

The American greed has extinguished the American dream in favor of profit.
>>
>>53226189
Well without shifting goalposts too hard I'd say those guys are hardly professionals, and the jobs they're doing probably barely require the degree they claim to have. What I know is what I see, and what I see normally is Americans bitching that people like me get good jobs, when they don't put in the necessary work to deserve them. I think you could fix this problem not only by doing as you suggest, but by making curriculum actually engaging and difficult, since right now any remotely skilled student learns nothing from the majority of his/her classes and could sleep their way to a 3.5+ GPA and degree.
>>
"we need an emplyee fluent in Portuguese"

>doesn't hire 2nd generation US born Portuguese descendant graduates
>issues H-1B's to huehue instead who completed 2 years of vocational training at thr equivalent of a village community center library
>>
>>53226251
>Well without shifting goalposts too hard I'd say those guys are hardly professionals
They take white collar jobs under a program designed for professionals.

>and the jobs they're doing probably barely require the degree they claim to have.
Not the point.

>What I know is what I see, and what I see normally is Americans bitching that people like me get good jobs, when they don't put in the necessary work to deserve them
As an American who went to an American university, I disagree on the whole. I know people who didn't put in enough effort, but I know a lot who did.

>I think you could fix this problem not only by doing as you suggest, but by making curriculum actually engaging and difficult, since right now any remotely skilled student learns nothing from the majority of his/her classes and could sleep their way to a 3.5+ GPA and degree.
I went to a good college and was actually engaged, although I got a Bachelor's in Business Administration in MIS instead of CS (at a highly ranked undergrad business program).

The problem is the H1-B program is wayyyyyy too lax in protecting entry level jobs, and this results in companies importing candidates from India to replace Americans to save money. If the program were actually audited against the rules it is supposed to have, there would be a shitload of violations spotted. If the program were altered to protect this and rule out these entry level candidates then there would be many more opportunities for Americans. Instead, corporations take advantage of the system.

At no point have I advocated here or elsewhere that the H1-B visa should be eliminated, or that there are no people that actually deserve it. Just that the majority is abuse that takes American jobs.

If they raised the criteria for an H1-B visa and kept the cap equal, it would actually *benefit* people like you (assuming you were being truthful about your level of qualification).
>>
>>53226312 here, continued
Few jobs are exempt from the H1-B cap of 65,000 (for the most part, only academic positions are exempt). When USCIS is done reviewing all of the applications, if there are more correctly filled applications then the cap, a computer randomly selects applications via lottery.

In 2015, 172,500 applications were received for 65,000 spots.
http://redbus2us.com/uscis-172500-petitions-received-for-h1b-2015-lottery-selection-complete/

This means that you have a chance of 65/172.5 = ~37.68% of getting a visa if you find a company willing to hire you, willing to pay an immigration firm to apply for your visa, and they get it in.

I know people from Brazil and Europe who are qualified and do make sense to bring in under H1-B that get denied because Infosys, Tata, et al flooded USCIS with petitions to get Panjeet in for minimum wage to replace experienced American workers for less money - despite lying about their qualifications and performing poorly at their intended task.
>>
>>53225783
Gov. doesn't owe you shit.
>>
>>53226360
But that's literally the definition of government.
>>
>>53225058
>These workers aren't uniquely skilled engineering grand masters, but are rank-and-file IT

They are importing the basics anyway. Nothing fancy, but it still is not right.

Learn a new language and work for Russia. This country is garbage now and will fail.
>>
>>53226360
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_contract
Back to middle school with you.
>>
>>53226400
Next thing you're gonna tell me that I'm actually gonna get retirement money from the state.
>>
>>53226400
I don't remember signing that. Guess I'll opt out.

Oh wait they'll kill me if I do that. Some contract...
>>
>>53226440
stop selling weed and maybe you will. also that's not paid out by state.
>>
>>53226480
Social services are a bottomless pit, throwing more money into it only shows that people can't admit shit's utterly broken.
>>
>>53225234
>bribe the government
NOPE
>to buy indentured workers
YES
>to replace you
THE PROBLEM IS NOT THE GOVERNMENT OR THE UNQUALIFIED WORKERS

IT'S YOU
>>
>>53225058
>tfw another excuse I can use to guilt my parents into supporting my NEET lifestyle a little longer

thank you fampai
>>
>>53225832
desu I wouldn't want to do the european style on african toilets either.
>>
>>53226052
If you don't have a job in your field or an internship at the same time you are going to school, you are literally doing it wrong. An entry level position will turn into a promotion/raises in the years it takes to finish your degree, you have money to start to pay off loans and you can use the experience gained to leverage the next big position.
>>
>>53230766
If everything goes perfect, which it never will.

Why would they hire you anyway if the market is flooded?
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.