[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
CS curriculum
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 3
File: mysql-php-logos.png (71 KB, 500x270) Image search: [Google]
mysql-php-logos.png
71 KB, 500x270
1st semester
>calc i-iii
>discrete math (intro)
>sicp
2nd semester
>linear algebra
>probability, stats
>programming in C
>graph theory and combinatorics
3rd semester
>stochastic processes
>object oriented programming
>computer structure and design (incl networking)
>algorithms
4th semester
>operating systems
>security/cryptography (incl babby abstract algebra and babby number theory)
>signal processing
>databases
5th semester
>numerical analysis
>computation theory
>artificial intelligence
>programming paradigms
6th semester
>optimization (combinatorial and continuous)
>graphics
>distributed systems
>advanced algorithms

Plus electives

What do you think /g/?
>>
Looks more like a math degree
>>
>>53212230
Seems fine
>>
When are they going to teach you some kind of useful skills that will make you employable?
>>
>>53212553
>he doesn't program in his free time
>>
>>53212230
>algorithms not being first thing you learn
into the trash it goes
>>
>>53212594
You need background in writing proofs. You need combinatorics to analyze them. You need computer organization to discuss cache issues. C is useful for programming exercises.
>>
>>53212553
object oriented, algorithms, data structures, and a computer system class are useful. The rest is just can you handle more complicated problems.
>>
>>53212386
Computer Science is a math degree. If you just wanted to do engineering, why would you study CS?
>>
>>53212715
>>53212715
Im doing a program through my universities engineering school and it's fairly engineery (designing, building, testing)
>>
>>53212570
I don't
>>
>>53212570
I do program in my spare time which is why I got a job without a CS degree. So what's the point in getting the degree?

>>53212697
>object oriented, algorithms, data structures, and a computer system class are useful

Oh shit yeah, I'd better go to university for 3-4 years to learn about those things instead of just reading a book lmao.
>>
>>53212854
CS degrees are for solving more complex problems than coding webpages or enterprise software.
>>
>>53212854
Some people are honestly just dont have the self control to learn something without some more pressure. Yes you can do it alone but it's easier with people teaching you and with peers you can get help from. Also it's pretty hard to get experience working on a team when you teach yourself which you get a decent amount of in a university. And again, i've had to do more difficult problems in my courses than i'm likely to have to do in my job anytime soon so it's good to get exposure to some of the more difficult problems that exist in CS.
>>
>>53212873
What complex problems are you solving? How to reverse a string? Because that's the kind of question employers have to ask in coding interviews because CS graduates are often unable to approach even the most trivial programming exercise.

There's no actual discovery or innovation happening with computers either, all the discovery and innovation was done in the 1960s and 70s and we've just continued to build on what was done then. They're still teaching C at university which was designed in 1972 and is still the main systems language that we use in the world because computers aren't fundamentally any different than they were back in 1972. The only new things we have today are down to Moore's law continuing to crank in the intervening time making everything smaller and faster. And we don't do things the way we do them now because they're the best possible way to do things, they're just the way we always did things, so we carry on doing those things.

In reality you're wasting years of your life learning a bunch of useless shit that you'll never use again.
>>
>>53213151
I'm doing machine learning on data that spans gigabytes
>>
>>53213196
>literally gigabytes
>>
>>53213151
>>There's no actual discovery or innovation happening with computers either, all the discovery and innovation was done in the 1960s and 70s and we've just continued to build on what was done then.
This guy

>>53213196
HIGGS?
>>
>>53213151
>>There's no actual discovery or innovation happening with computers
but anon, thats wrong.
>>
>>53213277
>>53213294

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pTEmbeENF4
>>
>>53212230
>What do you think /g/?
Looks like a nice three semesters worth of courses.
>>
>>53213343
Depends on how in-depth you want them

You could easily spend several semesters on linear algebra
>>
>>53212230
>>object oriented programming
kill yourself, my man ;)
>>
>>53213340
>there are literally thousands of computers around the world
>>
File: 1455855418812.jpg (8 KB, 190x200) Image search: [Google]
1455855418812.jpg
8 KB, 190x200
>>53213517
>not getting it
>>
>>53213151
Damn. Inconvenient but true.
>>
>>53213151
>what is distributed programming
>what is manycore programming
>what is machine learning (deep learning, support vector machines...)
>>
>>53213151
fuck, I didn't know people could get this pretentious.
>>
>>53213294
>he fell for the neural network meme
>he fell for the machine learning meme
>he fell for the big data meme
>>
File: 1424496253179.jpg (89 KB, 615x617) Image search: [Google]
1424496253179.jpg
89 KB, 615x617
>>53213670
>sticking more CPUs together and data mining are """discovery and innovation"""
>>
>>53213763
just stop
you are embarrassing yourself
>>
>>53213517
Did you literally only watch the first 6 seconds?
>>
>>53213756
>He hasn't seen some medical procedures make a massive leap just because modern day ML algorithms is here.

>>53213763
Is your processor a square meter in size, and you have to do multicore factorization yourself? If not then there might just be some innovations in this don't you think?
>>
>>53213151
Unix is from the 70s. C is from the 70s. TCP/IP was created with Arpanet. The first HD is from the 50s and the modern ones are from the 80s. Those technologies are the starting point for all those trendy smartphones, cloud computing and other memes that normies (/g/ included) think that are technological innovation.
>>
Why are there so many terrible programmers coming out of comp sci programs when they're all so difficult? The only math I can say I'm definitely comfortable with is basic algebra, yet everywhere I intern or freelance I'm somehow the standout among a bunch of Pajeets in masters programs at prestigious schools.
>>
>>53212230
>calc 1-3
>1 semester
Into the trash your school goes.
>>
>>53213151
This. He's talking about computers and the theory behind their working.
Turing and the early computer scientists from 60's to 80's developed everything concerning the theory of computation (various theoretical models) and tried to use computers to solve all kind of solve problems.
The basic building blocks used are the same: data structures, how you define formal languages, logic, algorithms. Computers got faster, but that's due to the effort of EEs. The more advanced stuff is possible because the same stuff stacked up can run at an acceptable speed making a lot more complex algorithms and approaches viable.
One of the new things would be quantum computation, but the basic theory for that is old and the results are far in the future. Other uses of computers are in the hands of various Applied Scientists, Engineers and Mathematicians. A doctor developing a model of the heart has little to do with CS. Implementing it is CS, but most of that theory is almost half a century old.
Engineers can make new stuff because embedded systems got faster.
The border fields of CS (doing something which explicitly uses a computer) are machine learning, image processing, etc. are not really CS, they are math. They use computers at an applied level to solve their problems.
CS guys who do those things are doing it at an applied level (efficient implementation, maybe doing some tricks within a framework). Those who don't are usually at a PhD level or actually got a Math degree, because that's a lot better for that.
CS has little use in itself because it teaches you how the computer works and how you can transform things so it's optimal for a computer to process, but it teaches nothing about the things you transform. For example you could optimize an ODE solver in a circuit simulator, but you probably know jack shit about the ideal model of a transformer.
This is the reason for shit job requirements, and why the useful stuff of CS's worth 6 courses total.
>>
>>53212230
I wouldn't make it past the first semester. Hence my worthless history degree. I'm now a trucker making about 65k. Life is OK.
>>
It would appear that you are only taking 3 years worth of classes. Are the electives for the remaining two semesters?
>>
>>53212230
>>53214808
This got me interested. Is this how a curriculum looks like in the USA? At least is it similar?
I'm from Europe and that work load seems light. Degree's here are a lot more specific though as I understand it.
Although my degree is not strictly CS, it's between CS and Engineering (CSE).
No flamewar, I would be genuinely interested in a comparison with opinions. If I would be interested in the raw data I could google it.
>>
>>53212230
Seems fine. Missing a class on compilers and at least an intro to CS theory (computability and complexity theory)
>>
>>53215182
Just compilers, sorry. You do have theoretical CS there
>>
>>53212230
>>sicp
That's for high school students

>>programming in C
>not C++
>not 1st semester

>>object oriented programming
>implying this needs to be its own class and can't be done in C++101

>no data structures
>no compilers
>no programming language theory
>no analysis
>no algebra
>no geometry

3/10
>>
>>53215306
>says SICP is for high school students
>thinks geometry and algebra should be taught in college

On top of that, OP's list does include numerical analysis, which you claim is missing.

Also, you don't need an entire class dedicated to data structures. That's usually covered in algorithms 101 and expanded upon in "advanced algorithms"
>>
>>53215558
>doesn't know what modern algebra, modern analysis, and modern geometry are
>thinks algorithms is the sorting and searching algorithms in DS
>thinks advanced algorithms is CLRS

If trolling: 2/10, you've tried but ultimately failed
If cereal: kill yourself
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.