[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Seriously, gnome3 is the most unusable piece of trash DE that
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 6
File: gnome3-appoverlay.png (537 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
gnome3-appoverlay.png
537 KB, 1366x768
Seriously, gnome3 is the most unusable piece of trash DE that exists, I can't fathom why people would unironically use it, let alone why it is included by default in major distros like Debian.
Even Unity and KDE are better than this shit.
>>
File: 1433276933598.webm (1 MB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
1433276933598.webm
1 MB, 640x360
>>53209374
So I see you're running GNOME..
>>
works on my machine
>>
It's good for tablets and for idiots. Although I don't like the idea of removing features just because OSX doesn't have them.
>>
>>53209374
Some WMs with shit usability:
Gnome
Unity
The one in OSX

These all are popular in their respective categories. It's sad
>>
>those icons

I know *nix is commonly used less-so for show, but they really need modernize the default icons.
>>
>>53209374
>even KDE is better than this shit
nigga fuck off, aint nothin wrong with KDE, infact im mad you would even use gnome and KDE in the same post.
>>
>>53209374
what do you recommend as a replacement?
>>
>>53209374
I'm happy with Gnome 3 right now, no extensions used. I'm using it with Xmonad.
>>
>Nibbles
kek

also didn't they almost go out of business?

MATE is good for someone who liked Gnome2, but it still feels like a half assed solution
>>
So what's a good DE? Or some combination of items. I need something that has good application/file searching so that I can hit 1 button and start searching like the Windows start menu or OS X Spotlight.
>>
>>53210095
find ~ -name "query"
Your DE should not be based on this...
>>
I accidentally installed it instead of gnome2 once, and nearly puked
>>
>>53210165
That assumes I have terminal open
Even if I did have a terminal open I'd have to put it in focus first
That's more typing that hitting the Windows key
That's not going to show me a short list that I can navigate up/down once or twice to select the entry to jump to
That's not going open a folder in the application / directory once I hit enter

seriously that is not even frigging comparable to start searching or spotlight
>>
>>53210221
ubuntu sounds like the place for you el friendo :^) their search opens on superkey
>>
>>53210317
Well you're still being a twat but Unity's search works fairly well. And the menu searching is a really good feature. But the rest of the UI is not easily tweakable and docks universally suck.
>>
if you don't like it, don't use it.
Gnome is a fine project.
They trying to make something different, I am not a fan of the client side window decorations, but I can understand why the programmer wants to be able to control how their application looks.
I personally hide the window decorations as I would rather have a panel where I can see the name of the window and close the window etc.

If you are >>53210165 guy then nothing will ever be good enough.
People like him believes that a system that is faster if it doesn't use as much memory.
I think that a system is faster if it allows you to do trivial tasks faster.
Switching wifi networks, searching for a file, searching for an application, doing calculations... Those can all be done from a terminal, but why would you unless you are remoting into the system?

If you want a good search, kde currently has the best. On a blank desktop you can just type and it will show you results. Alt+f2 also brings it up.
You could also use synapse which is similar although doesn't have the same functionality and the interface is really ugly.
>>
>>53209485
aren't window managers different from full blown desktop environments?
>>
>>53210385
>On a blank desktop you can just type and it will show you results. Alt+f2 also brings it up.
Thanks anon. I'll rev it up and try it
>>
People hate on xfce because of that tearing

But vsync has been existing on it for a while as an option and compton is always superior

And the rest is just pretty fucking ok
>>
>>53209607
he did mention KDE
>>
>>53209607
LXDE = MATE > XFCE > KDE > Unity >>>> Weeb Shit Ebin 1337 xXxH4X0RxXx Tiling WMs >>>> GNOME3
>>
>>53210344
cinnamon?
>>
>>53209519
>aint nothin wrong with KDE
>"We're sorry, Plasma has closed unexpectedly"
>>
>>53209374
I agree
I tried Fedora 23 with GNOME, almost puked
>>
>>53209374
> it is included by default in major distros like Debian.
No, it isn't.
>>
File: krunner.png (7 KB, 531x75) Image search: [Google]
krunner.png
7 KB, 531x75
>>53210432
I often wonder why this is not something every desktop strives to have.
I use it a lot for calculations, enter adds the result to the clipboard, tab gets you to the next results
>>
>>53210409
Yes, I think anon just goofed his names. WMs only manage windows. DEs have all the goodies you expect from an operating system
>>
>>53209374

KDE got pretty good, I recently tried the latest version and it was pretty good, except that screen tearing that you have to fix manually.
>>
>>53210501
neat, I haven't used anything else that does that (except maybe google search .... that doesn't count)

>>53210472
That looks good too, thanks
>>
>>53210501
GNOME can do this, but I still prefer bc
>>
>>53210515
>KDE got pretty good
Pffffft.You KDE Klowns Keep trying so hard to Konvince everyone your DE isn't Krap. *Protip: It is easily the most bug infested lawn sausage of all the Linux DE's.
>>
File: krunner_plugins.png (90 KB, 611x1084) Image search: [Google]
krunner_plugins.png
90 KB, 611x1084
>>53210538
It is really the heart of kde.
These are the default plugins, and they have rewritten some stuff, so the amount of 3rd party plugins are not as big as it was with kde4, but you could write a plugin yourself if you wanted it to do something not listed here.

>>53210574
I mentioned synapse, which uses bc. But krunner is a lot better, it just has more features.
It can convert base 2 or 16 to base 10, it can understand values like pi, and you do not have to switch to another application to use it.
>>
>>53209374
man i miss gnome2...
>>
>>53210652
you can still install it anon
>>
>Gnome 3 is great, you just don't understand their VISION

Fuck that. Gnome 3 is basically OSX's UI for Linux. I tried getting used to OSX via Hackintosh and I couldn't force myself to like it.

I don't care if people call me a Luddite, I'll continue using Mate.
>>
>>53210652
it is called mate now.
>>
>>53210461
I switched to LXDE from GNOME 3 two months ago and utterly nothing is different.

I can't even fathom people who spend all the time in here moaning about DEs; it's Linux, 90% of everything you're doing is done most effectively from the command line. I spend all my time switching between firefox and a fullscreen terminal emulator running tmux no matter what my desktop is.

What are you all doing with DEs that makes you so frothing-at-the-mouth butthurt every time GNOME is mentioned? Why is complaining about GNOME a meme? It does what they all do.
>>
>>53210696
Gnome is nothing like OS X.
Yeah, Gnome sort of forces you to adapt to their vision of how a desktop should be and all that, but it really is smooth and efficient when you get used to it. I'm not a ricer though, so feel free to disagree.
>>
>>53210751
>What are you all doing with DEs that makes you so frothing-at-the-mouth butthurt every time GNOME is mentioned?
Meme spouting and blindly following gaymergate tier political movements.
>>
>>53210827
Oh look, it's someone who brought political bullshit without anyone asking for an opinion
>>
>>53209374
You are wrong about Unity good sir. You see when Ubuntu set out to make Unity, they clearly said, "Ok guise were gonna make the shittiest DE possible, because the world just doesn't need anymore good, decent, or even mediocre ones." So they got to work, worked their asses off, and then realized, "Oh fuck! Gnome3 already exists. There's just no way we can ever compete with that," and so that's how come Unity is the second shittiest DE in existence. Because fucking Ubuntu even fails at failure.
>>
>>53210461
what about enlightenment?
>>
>>53209374
Why "unusable"? Shows your windows, shows time, shows applications, one key to open search...
I'm not GNOME's biggest fan either, mainly for aesthetic reasons, but what's your point on usability? What else does your DE have to do?
>>
>>53209421
Kek
>>
>>53210827
I'm using Fluxbox, enjoying it, and using it to accomplish shit that I need/want to accomplish. However, I assure you that if I ever decide that I need to intentionally make things more tedious and awkward for myself, by making my traditional desktop PC (keyboard, mouse, non-touchscreen display, using it for traditional desktop shit) function and feel like using a smartphone or tablet, then I will definitely look into using Gnome3.
>>
>>53209374
>unusable
You mean doesn't fit your aesthetic tastes and/or your workflow? Because when someone says something is "unusable" on /g/ that's usually what they mean
>>
>>53211355
I switch between i3 and Gnome all the time. If you bother to learn Gnome, you'll see it really isn't all that different from a tiling WM if you choose to use it that way.
>>
>>53211504
are you me?
>>
>>53211587
No, but it's comforting to know someone else uses logic in their decision making. Thank you, for being (You).
>>
>>53210493
Debian literally uses it for its default.
>>
>>53211450
unusable because it doesn't follow the established window-centric paradigm but uses an app-centric one like found on smartphones/tablets.
>>
File: werks.png (30 KB, 200x193) Image search: [Google]
werks.png
30 KB, 200x193
>>
>>53209504
>but they really need modernize the default icons.
That's a screenshot from 2010.
>>
>>53210317
>using the smiley with a carat nose
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.