[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Moving from win10 to Arch, What should i expect? I have very
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 6
File: images.png (4 KB, 390x129) Image search: [Google]
images.png
4 KB, 390x129
Moving from win10 to Arch, What should i expect? I have very little linux experience.
>>
disappointment
>>
>>53204824
some hyped up linux distro.
>>
>>53204840
I don't see it as hyped, Iv just heard that its really good for customization.
>>
>>53204824
FUN

I'd use archbang because it simplifies the setup a bit. Enjoy your 1 second boot times OP.
>>
>>53204824
You will regret it the second you take a look at the installation page. Install something like Ubuntu, Mint, or even Fedora. Arch is a horrible place to start unless your looking for a struggle.
>>
>>53204831
All Linux distros will disappoint a windows user. But Im willing to learn
>>
>>53204880
I forgot to mention, all Linux distros have the same level of customability. The main differences between distros is what they come with and package managers. For example, you can install almost any desktop environment on almost any linux distro.
>>
>>53204880
I have already looked into the installation on it. That doesn't really bother me. I have used ubuntu and i dont really like it. I kind of want the struggle for experience.
>>
File: arch.png (871 KB, 650x4377) Image search: [Google]
arch.png
871 KB, 650x4377
Obligatory

Maybe try something else + actually learn to read
>>
LURK MORE
U
R
K

M
O
R
E
>>
>>53204914
Haha, I like this. But starting in the deep end wont bother me at all.
>>
>>53204958
You have no idea what you'redoing and you wil fail to even get as far as properly installing a window manager. Start with ubuntu and get comfortable with the console, then work your way up
>>
>>53204824
If you've never used a Linux based system you're gonna have a hell of a hard time. It's easy after a while but you best have some free time on your hands.
>>
>>53204978
>>53205023
I have a fair Idea on what I am doing, I have used linux before and do understand it slightly, I just havent previously had the time to worry about it.
>>
>>53204905
Its fine then.
Take notes.
Follow the newbie guide and set it up.
Run with it for a week or so to make sure everything works.
Then wipe it and install it again.

You may want to do it on your testing machine so it doesn't affect your work at first.
Installing it several times will commit the steps to muscle memory and you probably want to remake some of the choices.
Next step is living with it.
You should set a goal like use it for a year without wiping it. If you want to change something, do it without reinstalling the entire system.
After that year, you will realize that you never have to install another distro again.
>>
>>53204905
I realize you say this now, but be prepared to fuck up your system and reinstall it several times and read quite a bit of information/research a ton. Starting with something like arch is like learning to run before learning to crawl.
>>
Im about to boot to it now, will update when i have it installed, or if i revert back and try a different distro
>>
>>53204958
You're so confident, I'm going to buy a Thinkpad just and install arch. I have no experience with Linux. Pain is weakness leaving the body.
>>
>>53204978
arch was my first linux distro and it worked out fine
>>
No softwares
>>
>>53204824
install it in a VM beforehand and see
>>
>>53205093
>it worked out fine
As in you can pay for your own food and have a thriving social life or:
You have anime on your desktop and you rice.
>>
>>53204824
Why would you start with Arch as a noob when you have no clue what you're doing or even want and need in your Linux system? This Arch meme is cancer.
>>
>>53205126
i dont have anime on my desktop
>thriving social life
why would i want that?
>>
>>53204824
Frustration. It's not a hands off distro. If you know how to use it, it's the best one. But that's a big if for a user new to Linux.
>>
>>53205259
>If you know how to use it, it's the best one.
Nope. If you know how to use a Linux distro at a fundamental level, a lot of barebones distros can be the best one to build up. This Arch 1337 meme needs to die. It's a complete joke.
>>
>>53204824
use fedora instead. thank me later.
>>
>>53205336
It's objectively the best distro for desktop needs.

Only Gentoo surpasses it if your needs are very particular (hardening Gentoo is a tad easier than hardening Arch, for example). The problem with Gentoo is of course, the compile times.

Arch has the advantage over other minimalistic distros of having a fast, sensible package manager, the AUR, little patching that introduces downstream bugs, keeps as close to upstream as possible without putting core users at risk, has the best Linux documentation of all distros BY FAR, an active forum and IRC channel.... so on and so forth.

What distro would you say is better than Arch for building a system out of minimal base?
>>
>archmeme
just get debian
>>
>>53204824
>windows to linux
expect nvidia to drop support for only your video card as soon as you get to like linux.
Then expect to be forced to use nouveau and run with a shitasticular resolution.
>>
>>53204824
If you're literally brand new to Linux you should seriously consider using an easier distro.
>>
>>53204824
You should expect pain, frustration, and a null chance at a success with the possibility of turning you off from linux forever.

If your ultimate goal is to use arch, I suggest casually slipping into the linux game by using mint, the *buntus, or even debian.
>>
>>53204824
You will be missing windows 8 in no time
>>
>>53204824
i don't know man
it took me about 2 years to properly get acquainted with arch, i wouldn't recommend it to anyone
the distro used to be pure torture but now i'm so used to it that it's the most comfortable platform for me
i heard all those noobs are using debian so try that out
otherwise openbsd is the way to go, having the bonus of not supporting sjw degeneracy in the linux kernel
>>
I don't get it, doesn't installing Arch just mean copying what it says on their website?
>>
File: 1455566139544.png (58 KB, 357x373) Image search: [Google]
1455566139544.png
58 KB, 357x373
>>53204824
Do what I did, take one weekend to install it. But while installing don't rush, learn what you are setting up. It is frustrating at first but that's why you give it a weekend. And when you do it it's really rewarding. I'd suggest setting up an openbox and some necessary applications at first instead of just downloading gnome group, because this way you can actually learn which program does what and it's more fun.

After a hellish weekend I had great experience, and it was really fun. Now I have a complete guide on how to set things up from scratch and an extensive explanations for all the packages I've installed. I even came up with my own way to track packages and stuff.

It is fun to be honest, if you are into this stuff. And it's again rewarding to be actually using Arch while trying to find solutions from their wiki and forums. Picture is related though, sometimes they mess up things, but it's usually fixed pretty quickly. Community and packagers are really active.
>>
>>53204824
It's fast.
>>
>>53205100
You mean no gaymes
>>
>>53204824
hell unleashed
>>
>>53205500
I went from using windows to going balls deep into arch. I love arch now, I about went amish in the begining though.
The only problem is the lack of support for my fucking video card so Im back on wangblows now.
noveau is acceptable for the short term but that fucking resolution is killing me.
>>
>>53204824
>Hey guys I'm going to fly a 737 tomorrow but I've never flown a plane before. What should I expect?

Just fucking use Ubuntu you faggot.
>>
>>53205641
well more specifically doing what it says to do in the readme file when the live cd boots up.
BUT for most people it means doing whatever they say to do in the youtube video without questioning anything.
>>
So basically fuck everything everyone's saying in this thread right now. Here's the bottom line.

It's easy to install if you closely follow the wiki guide. If something doesn't work it's because of something you did, don't blame Arch like all the other retards. Arch is a great distro, probably one of the best if you know what you're doing.

Good luck.
>>
>>53205975
disregard what this faggot said. He suffers from a special snowflake delusion.
>>
>>53206271
Fuck off I second to >>53205975
>>
>>53205975
>if you know what are you doing
> op is new to linux op will fuck shit up, i reckon

op start wit cinnamon distro either fedora or mint
>>
>>53204824
You're going to hate it. I've used Linux on and off for years, and I even installed Funtoo once, and I've never gone balls-deep with Arch. I run Manjaro on my laptop though, and it's pretty nice.

Start off with Ubuntu first if you want to learn Linux. Dual boot it as well, don't go all in and wipe your Windows partition.
>>
>>53206311
You can install cinnamon on Arch dude
>>
File: Muh_Photoshop2.png (275 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
Muh_Photoshop2.png
275 KB, 1366x768
>>53206311
Arch+Cinnamon here. OP should go with antergos or manjaro before coming to Arch
>>
>>53206484
Is Photoshop buggy under wine??
>>
>>53206517
Not that I'm aware of. It's 2016
>>
>>53206525
I'm asking you directly because you're the one that posted the screenshot.
>>
>>53206539
And he answered you directly. What more do you need?
>>
>>53204824
Anime, lots and lots of Anime.
>>
>>53206280
this samefag here is just proving my point.
ignore him.
>>
>>53206539
Running CS6 (13.?.?) with no issue
>>
>>53206555
No he answered like he was unsure which is weird considering he's the one using it.
>>
>>53206602
Since it is a matter of bugs I am no one to certify
>>
>>53204824
A whole day of figuring out which DE+WM combo to use
>>
>>53207513
That's weird because answer is objectively null+openbox.
>>
>>53204824
install it in a VM first so you don't fuck everything up, or use Architect
>>
>>53204824
make sure you have a windows cd or bootable usb . you are going to back soon
>>
>>53206517
it has a number of issues. but for basic tasks is fine.
>>
>>53205928
Underappreciated post
>>
it took me a month of trial and error to move from windows 7 to arch with no linux or programming experience. It's a nightmare OP but worth it, mind you I went the CLI route, you could probably install a GUI and have it running good in a few days. I HIGHLY, HIGHLY recommend a virtual machine.
>>
>>53205050
>muscle memory
Woah woah woah, too much, too much!
>>
the whole first distro problem really comes down to a few questions

1. How much security/fully open source software do you want

2. How much if anything do you want to learn about linux and your own computer

3. How much do you want to be in charge of inside of your system

personally after years of using centos or debian for server stuff i jumped on the gentoo bandwagon for desktop stuff and never looked back and i learned a shit ton about linux in the week it too me to get the OS fully configured
>>
>>53204958
it's a useless distro for wannabe progarmmers.
>>
>>53204824
you can expect no having to uninstall anything
>>
>>53206525
Can it run illustrator? No...it's 2016
>>
File: 1456252005610.jpg (62 KB, 690x460) Image search: [Google]
1456252005610.jpg
62 KB, 690x460
>>53204824
>not installing Gentoo
>>
>>53208427
It can
>>
>>53204824
it's not so much about what you should expect but we expect a rage thread tomorrow about how much linux sucks and how you're installing windows 10
>>
>>53208473
Do wincucks even know how to read? i.e.: a thread?
>>
File: 61668375.jpg (87 KB, 400x290) Image search: [Google]
61668375.jpg
87 KB, 400x290
>I am using windows 10
<whot? welcome to nsa botnet user. switch to linux
>I've installed ubuntu
<w0t? u mainstream user twat switch to arch it's the best
>i've installed arch
<wot? use gentoo you incompetent newbie
>using gentoo
<Install source mage you hipster
>>
>>53204914

Arch user here. That graphic is actually the funniest fucking thing I've seen all day
>>
>>53204978
>>53205048
That's a total lie.

>You have no idea what you'redoing and you wil fail to even get as far as properly installing a window manager.

With extremely little knowledge of Linux I successfully installed Arch with i3.

OP, you're going to be a tad lost in the start. You're going to ask stupid questions like, "Where is ~/.xinitrc?" But once you get the hang of it you'll be fine.
>>
>>53205048

You can do it. Arch is doable as a beginner. Gentoo would very likely be extremely overly ambitious, but Arch isn't really as bad as it's reputation suggests. It's definitely more hands-on, and involved, but once you do it a few times you'll realize that it's actually fairly simple and straight forward. It's only intimidating because there are quiet a few more steps than people are used to, plus it's unfamiliar territory until you familiarize yourself with it. People tend to just fear the unknown, as well as underestimate themselves.

You probably will run into a few roadblocks here and there, and feel discouraged, but don't give up. And don't let the elitist dipshits you'll inevitably encounter turn you off either. They're like that because they have very little to be proud of themselves for. Arch is one thing that allows them to feel superior for a change. If too many people learn to install and use it, then word will get out that their greatest and ultimate achievement in life isn't actually as impressive as they need for everyone to think.
>>
while arch is a good distro, its not entry level at all

i heavily recommend trying a debian based system, preferably something with alot of easy startup stuff like Mint or Ubuntu.

Anyone can jump right into ubuntu and figure out how to do things within a day, you'll have the terminal mastered within 3, and you'll be writing bash scripts for little things and changing your WM, DE etc within a week.

However if you just drop headfirst into arch you're gonna run into things you'll have to scour the internet for answers to. And its not gonna be as fun of a learning experience.
Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.