[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What office suite do you use /g/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 99
Thread images: 9
What office suite do you use /g/?
>>
>>53204779
Google docs
>>
neither
>>
>>53204779
Office 365.
OneNote is awesome and I got a free year of it with my Lumia 950.
>>
>>53204779
LibreOffice. Why would I buy MS when all I do is small/medium sized spreadsheets once in a while? Everything else in LaTeX
>>
vi ; even just editing flatfile exports of spreadsheets: vi
>>
>>53204998
edgy
>>
>>53204779
Libre to read shitty architecture and api documents distributed in doc and docx

MS office to produce those shitty documents because they have annoying shit like visio diagrams embedded.
>>
>>53204779
Libre. What are you stupid?
>>
>>53205200
Why not just pirate MS office?
>>
>>53205223
Literally not worth the effort.
>>
>>53205238
Libre office fucks up some of the files I get given. They're still somewhat legible but it messes up the formatting so it's a lot easier to just open it in word.
>>
>>53205255
Microsoft office fucks up my 9's.
>>
I got tired of dealing with LibreOffice's shit so I use Office365 now.
>>
>>53204779
Office on Windows
Office on Mac
StarOffice on Solaris 10
OpenOffice on Solaris 11
LibreOffice on GNU/Linux
>>
>>53205603
That is pretty much where I'm headed. Especially now that I have been given an MS exchange account so I can work on my docs from wherever without having to fiddle about with something like dropbox.
>>
I last used LibreOffice, however my machine now runs OpenOffice.
>>
>>53204779
Libreoffice, not that MSO is bad but i consider a big perk knowing that my documents are saved in a well documented format by a program that respects the standards, so i'll always be able to open my documents without depending on one vendor.

>>53205255
>Libre office fucks up some of the files I get given
Considering that microsoft doesn't respect their own format that they supposedly proposed as an standard and that the files they create can only be opened perfectly in all cases with their own suite (and the same version), and considering their support for ODF is pretty half assed, this is mare a problem with MSO than with LO. When i create a document with LO and i open it with LO the format has been always preserved perfectly. Yes, OOXML is a de-facto standard and is very hard to ignore but i don't want to perpetuate a situation that only benefits microsoft and doesn't benefits me in any way, also when i need to give a document that will not be edited (much more often that not) i generally use PDF. When i need to edit collaboratively i use google docs though.
>>
Libreoffice, because it came preinstalled on my Linux distribution.
>>
>>53205886
I feel you. I generally edit with libreoffice and save with .pdf. Recently I've been getting word document files instead of PDF files so I need to use office to get them to keep a readable format.
>>
>>53205924
i know, it's sad, MSO is a good software but that doesn't mean that their practices are less shitty. Those practices works well with most people because it locks them and they just accept it but for other people like it actually creates pushes me out of their products when possible in order to be sure that i'll always be the only owner of my documents.
>>
>>53204779
LibreOffice.
Occasionally google docs
>>
>>53205727
Just curious why you switched?
>>
File: 1456525663816.jpg (60 KB, 605x336) Image search: [Google]
1456525663816.jpg
60 KB, 605x336
>>
LibreOffice and LaTeX.
>>
KILE
>>
MS Office.
I don't mind paying for quality.
>>
MS Office Starter
and OpenOffice
>>
>>53205727

Well it wasn’t because of the included applications, LibreOffice worked great. I was just looking for a distro supported by the FSF.
>>
>>53208619
>he pays for MS Office

laughingwhores.jpg
>>
>>53204857
This. Free, easy to use and actually good.
>>
>>53204779
MS Office because it actually fucking works with the files people send me
>durr convince your whole company to change to something that respects your freedumbs
>>
notepad that came installed
>>
>>53209928
>Not using the command prompt.
>>
>>53204779
MS Office at work.
Libre Office at home.
>>
>>53204779
openoffice

shit's free and does everything i need it to.
>>
File: screenshot12.jpg (340 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
screenshot12.jpg
340 KB, 1920x1080
MS Office, even though I'm using Linux. I'm just too used to it (e.g. doing everything without a mouse) plus of course everyone else expects you to be compatible with their documents (which are MS Office docs as well).
>>
Office 16 but I got it free with 365 from work. Otherwise I would be using libreoffice
>>
>>53208619
You actually pay for Microsoft Office? You can get Office Pro PLus 2016 free.

Shit. Microsoft makes money spying on you and you still give them money.
>>
Google Office
>>
>>53204779
The one that have AES encryption, good regex search, support for lots of formats and doesn't take 2 minutes to open.
>>
>>53210604
2016 Edition?
>>
>>53209594
>free
kek
>>
>>53204779
Who the fuck honestly doesn't have ms office?
>>
Open office is better than libre, opens files and powerpoints faster. BUT, openoffice cant save docx and libre can.
>>
Looking at the word processor:
They are both remarkably shitty. The vast majority of people have no need for such a heavy-duty program. They try to support everything a professional could ever need, and as a result they end up being hard to use because of bloat and inconsistency. It is difficult to find options and even harder to predict what they will do.

They aren't even any good for professionals. There isn't enough automation and the output isn't very good. They have all the tools a professional would need, but most of the tools are bad. A professional would need a more serious program like LaTeX or InDesign.

Something like AbiWord (or TextEdit or Wordpad) is far better. They do simple word processing in a simple and straightforward manner.

I haven't made a presentation or a spreadsheet in ten years, so I can't speak to them.
>>
I have Office 2010 (I don't like later editions)
>>
LibreOffice for shitty docs.
Texmaker for articles, drafts.
>>
File: libreoffice.jpg (233 KB, 1680x1050) Image search: [Google]
libreoffice.jpg
233 KB, 1680x1050
Libreoffice fills all my needs.
>>
I use WPS office, because it's quite a neat MS Office clone which still has >muh ribbons

Or alternatively I use MS Office in Wine, which works really well, actually. However, I wanna be independent of Microsoft in the near future, so I gotta explore WPS for now.
>>
>>53211464
This.
>>
>>53211496
What about MS macros?
>>
>>53210586
>for free
How?
>>
>>53211647
MSDN licence for students?
>>
File: shot0003.jpgXX0001.jpg (248 KB, 1280x1080) Image search: [Google]
shot0003.jpgXX0001.jpg
248 KB, 1280x1080
Let me talk about what a huge piece of crap Base is. I recommended it to a friend who wanted an alternative to Access. I did this thinking that Writer and Calc were alright, they wouldn't release a buggy feature missing part of their suite and pretend that this was fine, right?

That code abortion needs to die. Importing and exporting data is way too difficult. It runs on java so it's unpredictable, has some of the slowest sorting I've ever seen and may crash and eat data. And it's just missing all kinds of features that Access users would take for granted. So has it gotten better over the years? NO. They keep ignoring it and hoping that since not many people need databases they can keep shipping the same shit and call their office suite, a "complete" alternative.

Yes I mad.
>>
I use libreoffice at home cause muh gen too and office 2007 /365 at work
>>
File: Zwischenablage01.png (12 KB, 273x211) Image search: [Google]
Zwischenablage01.png
12 KB, 273x211
>>53204779
Notepad and MS Office of course.
I have to write professional grade papers with a lot of cross references, automatic bibliography, index of used images etc.
This is just very easy with Word and the "styles" feature. I don't have time to fuck around with *insert free office suite here*.
Often this happens in teamwork and MSWord is just the standard here, same with spreadsheets.

If someone doesn't really need all those features I'd recommend to use Abiword which is nice and lightweight.
LaTeX is also worth considering, but again: no desire to work myself into that.

Currently using pirated Office 2010 but I was able to get the full Office 2016 through my job for 13€.
>>
>>53205886
>respects the standards
MSO is the standard, no amount of complaining by freetards changes that.
>>
File: Spreadsheets_Screenshot_Arial.png (32 KB, 1362x728) Image search: [Google]
Spreadsheets_Screenshot_Arial.png
32 KB, 1362x728
>>53204779
WHERE IS WPS OFFICE???
WHERE IS WPS OFFICE???
WHERE IS WPS OFFICE???
The best office suite BAR NONE.
https://www.wps.com/linux
>>
>>53205886
Use WPS office.
>>
>>53204779
notepad
>>
>>53204897
Any other answer is wrong.
>>
>>53207105

>Office professional 2016
>nero
>Adobe Master collection
>VMware and virtualbox
>...

Oh right, you are the type of retard who pirates anything and everything just because they can even though they have no use for those tools. I used to do that too when I was 16. Now, I only pirate office standard and deselect most of the bundled programs.
>>
>>53204779
Office 365. I only really use OneNote though.

This week i used excel once, tried to make some stats about a CSV file on linux and used the libreoffice excel ripoff. It was a pure pain in the ass. Then tried excel and it was a joy in comparison.
Why do Linux programs with a GUI feel so clunky/slow?
>>
>>53213620
USE WPS Office!!!
>>
File: Praise-God-through-hard-times.jpg (63 KB, 400x225) Image search: [Google]
Praise-God-through-hard-times.jpg
63 KB, 400x225
Leafpad for writing, LibreOffice 5 for everything else.
>>
MS Office.

Libre/Open Office writer is not great but it's good enough for casual home users that don't take anything to school or work other than in PDF format.

My main problem with Free/Open are the communities, they have blinkers on that force them to only acknowledge writer/word. They cannot get their head around the a lot of people use other features of Office (Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook) and the FOSS alternatives fail miserably at every single one of those. All these years and they can't get writer done right so lie/delude themselves about it how long will it take, if ever, for the rest of the office applications to be anywhere near usable?
>>
>>53213839
STOP USING MS OFFICE. USE WPS OFFICE.
>>
>>53213924
Isn't WPS closed source? That makes it kind of pointless. Why go from the real closed source deal to a proprietary chink clone?
>>
>>53211036
it is free you fucking mong.
>>
File: lunix user.png (77 KB, 192x185) Image search: [Google]
lunix user.png
77 KB, 192x185
>>53210387
ayy
>>
>>53210387
>office
>opera

Holy shit, what have you done to your life?
>>
>>53214030
uh oh
>>
>>53204779
office 2016

I got a key from a retailer for free and I activate it by phone, onenote is just perfect for me.
>>
I got an Office 365 license but I only use the 1TB OneDrive space (I encrypt my shit before I upload it) but I don't use office on my computer.
>>
Pages on my hipster machine
>>
Office.
Not because i dislike Libre,i just like cracked programms.
>>
>>53204779

Libre (and Abiword, Gnumeric) are for the average normie that cant pay $50 USD.

Microsoft Office are for business that pay sharepoint online and yammer because are really cool features that open sources dont have.
>>
>>53214091
Thanks for the update, Pajeet.
>>
>>53204779

Office, it's just better. Especially Excel.
>>
>>53210387
literally JUST
>>
>>53214007
Being this new
>>
MS Wordpad
>>
>>53214041
Nothing wrong with Opera. I bet you're some Chrome kid, or a Firefox freetard.
>>
>>53204779
google drive
>>
>>53214944
Midori master race motherfucker.
>>
>>53215087
I'd actually like to use Konqueror, but I also want to sync my bookmarks etc. between PC, tablet and phone.

Also, Opera's speed dial is awesome
>>
>>53205603
Happened to me, now im using office 365 and problems never again libre office is a shit
>>
>>53204779
the one all the corporate cucks use
Just have a proprietary workstation and laptop for work. Proprietary shitware can't be dodged if you're in a position where you really need an office suite for anything more than typing simple papers
>>
What about WPS?
>>
>>53209594
>actually good
lol ok
>>
Office 2010
>>
>>53204779
Libre. Even my normie girlfriend (that I got by accident) prefers it for her office job. It's free and does everything you need it to without having to pirate.
>>
TeXStudio
>>
>>53218156
>office suite
two words, office and suite, what you posted is not relevant for either.
>>
>>53218190
There isn't anything you can do in Office that you can't do in LuaLaTeX.
>>
>>53205238
this
i took the time to remove onedrive from my pc and office shit readded
>>
My asus transformer came with a licensed ms office student. Not the trial shit, the permanent one, so I use that.
>>
>>53215593
Then use Vivaldi like the rest of the civilized world.
Thread replies: 99
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.