[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are /g/'s contributions to computer science?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 2
File: sleep sort.png (156 KB, 1080x1179) Image search: [Google]
sleep sort.png
156 KB, 1080x1179
What are /g/'s contributions to computer science?
>>
>>53204758
funded computer scientists by paying tuition
>>
>>53204758
Drakeposting
>>
>"What are /g/'s contributions to computer science?"
that iPhone thing ... oh i can`t remember correctly but i think it was
>iPhone wave
some waterproof shit or something like that
>>
>>53204758
open source waifu generator
>>
I outsmarted a teacher by reading a lengthy technical manual and proving her premises incorrect.
>>
>>53204758
so i'm new to programming, what the heck is a sleep sort and what's anon trying to accomplish?
>>
>>53205014
>her
having some kitchen chef lessons anon?
>>
>>53204758
Sleep sort is wonderful!
>>
i made a logo
>>
>>>/prog/
>>
>>53204758
Wrote an experimental disasembler, abstract assembly parser
Wrote a simple xpath-esque json value extractor
Leading a community for developers in my local area
Trying as hard as I can to fix the broken as fuck IT Infrastructure at a major health care provider
Mentoring college grads with experiments and challenges to help them be not-retarded
Some other stuff, I forget
>>
>>53205070
The program will make a new thread for each parameter given to it and then wait for all threads to finish.

Each thread will sleep for a length of X, where X is the value of the parameter given to that thread.

When each thread completes it will print it's given parameter.

In this way it takes 1 second to print 1, 2 to print 2, etc.

If you gave the program 5, 3, 2, 4, 1 it would take 15 seconds and would print: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5.
>>
>>53205400
15 seconds? You mean 5?
>>
>>53205400
>thread
Don't you mean process?
>>
>>53205448
Same meaning, defined differently in other languages.
>>
>>53205414
It sleeps for the size of the input parameter

If you fed it 10,000 it would sleep for 10,000 seconds
>>
anyone miss cutter & frozenvoid autistic rantings
>>
/prog/........
>>
>>53204758
Contributed to a pretty early content management framework (Zope) back in the late 90s/early 2000s.
Wrote tools and a large swath of tutorials for modding Call of Duty 1 and Modern Warfare.
Wrote drivers for haptics devices.
Early proponent of WebRTC and web sockets which has set the foundation for a very large, well-known company's current technology focus/development.
Worked on a handful of pretty much unknown games. It paid bills.
Put yet-another-startup on silicon valley's map and then watched it burn to the ground as the head honcho lost like half of our investor's cash in Vegas. I found out what happened to the money years later.
>>
>>53205485
I'd argue with you, but eh whatever
>>
>>53205330
That should actually say interpreter, not parser (there was also a parser)
>>
>>53204758
1: This picture
2: Tox
>>
>>53205553
These are your contributions, not /g/ at an entity.
>>
>>53205258
>>53205524
did 4chan have a software development board?
>>
>>53205556
I don't need you to argue, bitch. Threads are processes defined in context to a program. So while processes works fine as a descriptor, threads is more specific.
>>
>>53205627
There was a text only board in a time gone by called /prog/. If you wanted to discuss programming you want there.
>>
>>53205650
At this point I'd be insulting your ignorance and thoroughly correcting your understanding, but I really just don't care right now.

Have a nice night!
>>
>>53205689
I haven't seen a fedora tipped this hard in over a year
>>
>>53205659
>If you wanted to discuss programming you want there.

Ahahahahahhh

AHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAH

AHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA
>>
>>53205751
hax my anus
>>
>>53205485
>>53205650
>when you're wrong but don't care to learn so you just curse the other person out
>>
>>53205784
I'm willing to learn, therefore I kept the discussion going. My software dev knowledge is extense, but mainly done through experience and word of mouth, not textbooks.
>>
>>53204758
I pioneered randomly generated lists to count through in order to pad loading times for no reason at all.
>>
>>53205751
this desu
I don't think I've ever made or seen a post on /proggles/ that wasn't a shitpost.
>>
>>53204758
I made a resume that talks about computer science and says that I know how to do more than I actually know how to do.
>>
>>53205906
What font did you use?
>>
File: just.jpg (30 KB, 456x320) Image search: [Google]
just.jpg
30 KB, 456x320
>>53204938
right in the feels.
>>
>>53205400
The thing is, it is actually not a correct sorting algorithm, since the sleep function will only sleep AT LEAST as long as you tell it to sleep.
That means, some numbers could "outsleep" others, making it incorrect.

I know it's supposed to be a joke, but it's an incorrect one anyway.
>>
>>53205495
Are you retarded or do you just not bother to read ?
>>
>>53208815
Both in theory in which sleep 2 means exactly 2 seconds, and practice in which every processor that is able to run bash would be fast enough to not let a full second oversleep happen, would the algorithm work.
>>
>>53205485
Pretty universal distinction mate
>>
>>53205650
New process implies new thread. New thread does not imply new process. New process is more specific.
>>
>>53204991
Kinda thinking of making one desu
what should it be?
We've already done microwaving, bricking, water damage, what now?
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.