[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Decide to install debian >Want to install archive manager
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 2
File: deb.jpg (18 KB, 635x307) Image search: [Google]
deb.jpg
18 KB, 635x307
>Decide to install debian
>Want to install archive manager
>"Sudo command does not exist"
>apt-get install sudo
>"Please insert disc"
>Wat

>Click browser
>Cannot launch browser, input/output error

Wow, shit right out of the box, just as I expected.
>>
haha you got meme'd, you'd have done better installing gentoo XD
>>
>>53155639
>Sudo
Retarded winbabby detected
>>
File: breivik.gif (4 MB, 518x333) Image search: [Google]
breivik.gif
4 MB, 518x333
>>53155639
>Cannot configure sources.list
>>
>>53155639
>Cannot launch browser, input/output error
What the fuck did you DO?
>>
>can't figure out what's wrong
>definitely isn't his fault
User error, Debian is fine, OP is just a faggot.
>>
>>53155639
>Debian
>GUI

kill yourself
>>
>>53156149
>Fresh install
>User error
>>
>>53156201
>Debian
>Fresh Install
>Expecting it to work everything out of box
As always OP is a faggot
>>
>>53155639
>Not using su

Please go back to n00buntu
>>
Please insert disc? what the fuck are you doing? Do you even understand what's going on? what sudo is?

Login as root, apt-get install sudo, add your user to the sudoers list, login with that username, then use sudo.

I bet you don't even have a network connection.
>>
>>53156201
Debian is not a distro meant to work out of box on fresh install.There is Ubuntu and Mint for that.
>>
First time huh? If you're not up to it just go back to Ubuntu senpai.
>>
>want to install debian on an old box
>install finished, need to set up pppoe for internet
>you need the pppoeconf package which requires internet
>>
>>53155639
Who uses a GUI with Debian? Beta.
>>
>>53156366
>not a distro meant to work
>>
Dude, you have to comment the CD deb in the sources.list, then you will be able to update and install sudo after.
>>
>>53156400
Nice green posting but anyone who knows basics of linux world will understand that
I can say Arch is not meant to work
Also there is a difference between 'won't work' and 'won't work out of the box'
>>
>>53156400
Yes it is not meant to work out of the box for noobs.Debian is comparable to Emacs.It is not something that you can just download and install and think it will work.
>>
>>53156513
>#1 most recommended distro
>not something that you can just download and install and think it will work
>>
>>53155639
>not using Ubuntu/Mint
Ubuntu is literally just Debian with shit like your greentext related taken care of by default.
>>
>>53155639
>input/output error
OP I would try running smartctl in the console if I were you to see if your hard drive is dying. I got this same error except with transmission when mine died. The "Please insert disc" thing might have to do with that as well, I'm assuming that your system thinks it wasnt installed fully and it may be that you have corrupt data.

>>53156298
>>53156366
>>53156489
>>53156513
I don't know about you guys but everytime I've installed Debian with a desktop environment it would just work. I've only needed to fiddle around with it if I do an install without a DE. I see no reason to use Ubuntu or Mint over Debian.
>>
>>53155639
Disregarding this retard- setting up Debian is actually pretty annoying.
Fedora makes it look like shit and even Arch and Gentoo are more straightforward to setup and configure.
>>
>>53156651
>#1 most recommended distro
Where?
Every sane Linux article either recommends Ubuntu or Mint
Oh and the no.1 most installed or ported distro does'nt mean its recommended for noobs
>not something that you can just download and install and think it will work
Again it is not and as always OP is a faggot
>>
As someone new to Linux I'd like to know the actual advantages of Debian over easier, more user friendly distros. Is it literally just a retard gate?
>>
As it is always and forever and be OP will always be a faggot
/amen/
>>
>>53156850
It has a very large application repos,does not have non open source shit by default and is ported to many devices.Also super stable because of its slow update cycle.Longest LTS suppport and is one of the earliest distros
>>
>>53155639
yeah, you're obviously too dumb to even install loonix
>>
>>53156907
Thank you for giving legitimate answers and not just distro fanboying.
>>
>>53156850
>>53156850
Many things won't work by default
non free drivers,etc...
Basically no reason to install unless you want something like Arch but more stable.
Any noob who experiment with anything other than Ubuntu/Mint are faggots like OP.
>>
>>53156850
1) Very old, popular, well supported
2) Focused on stability
3) Focuses heavily on free software

A lot of people don't see 3 as a benefit though, as a lot of drivers/firmware is non-free.
>>
Dunno about you guys but it works for me out of the box every fucking time. The last 50 installs in the last 5 years were fantastic.
>>
>>53156950
What about experimenting with manjaro KDE?
>>
>>53157045
Maybe if you don't ever use sudo or never had a sound card.
>>
>>53157076
Never tried it but I would'nt recommend someone new to install anything based on Arch.
>>
>>53157045
I can sort of sympathize because I used debian as my very first distro as well but I'm not stupid and my googlefu is strong so the few hiccups I had were solved quickly. Debian is a very nice distro for someone like me as I like stability. I use BunsenLabs right now though.
>>
>>53157076
If you are new no.Just go with the crowd and install the most popular Linux distro(Ubuntu/Mint depending on which fanboy you ask).Don't be a hippie.
>>
>>53157161
>Amazon Botnet
>Actual Botnet
If he wants to try GNU/Linux he should go for a distro that actually cares about free as in freedom software.
>>
>>53156786
>pretty annoying
totally, all those dialogs you have to \n\n\n\n
>>
>>53157206
>easily disabled
>only in unity
Either alternative DEs Lubuntu xubuntu or mint then
>>
>>53155639
If your mental capacity does not make you able to install Debian properly, please consult YouTube noob install videos or maybe you know the manual. Don't talk shit uneducated.
>>
remove cdrom/usb sources from the sources list, update then try again
>>
>>53155639
congrats on being a fucking idiot
>>
>>53155639
THIS IS HOW IT WORKS!!!
>>
>>53157090
I only have onboard sound and one external over usb. Using alsamixer via terminal for everything. I don't need sudo, I am always root.
The only thing that took 1 minute to configure was fucking vlc because that shit doesn't allow to be used as root but one can easily edit it.
>>
>>53157090

Or if you dont buy obscure chinese hardware produced by a manufacturer who neglects it's users by failing to release the firmware documentation necessary for developers to write open drivers that make the device functional

but of course in your mind, it's not your fault, or the manufacturer's fault, it's debian's fault right?
>>
>>53161087
>ubuntu includes drivers that just werk ootb, no frills, no documentation hunting needed
>debian doesn't, even if you get nonfree repos by default
>this is somehow seen as a positive for debian
>>
I tried plebian and it wanted me to download drivers, install dpkg on another machine so i could extract them and put them on a usb drive, just so I could use my wifi. Debian still couldn't detect them. Installed Fedora and it worked out the box and I actually get packages that aren't 6 months old. Never again.
>>
debian was the first distro i used when i had zero linux experience and i have no idea how you can't manage to use it propely; the wiki is very good at telling you how to do things.
no matter what i always end up going back to debian
>>
>>53155639
Go back to R eddit Windows baby.
>>
How dare you not be aware that you need to delete a line from /etc/sources.list or else aptitude will look for a cd which most users will never have inserted after installation, and then shit itself if that cd is not found, instead of just having the rudimentary functionality of searching the other sources if the first source is not found....
>>
>>53162233
i never had to do this
>>
>>53155639
>>53155717
>configure
It's a god damn text file. A FUCKING TEXT FILE. When people are too dumb to use text editors, it's time to hang up your keyboard and get an iPad.
>>
>>53162252
>works fine for me :^)
>>
>>53155639
PLEBCAWK
KYS
>>
>Install gentoo or arch linux m8
DebĂ­an is for plebs
>>
>>53155639
At least google your shit before shitposting in /g/.
How does it feel to be embarrassed by 38 people within a few hours?
>>
>>53155639
Debian is about stability, old packages and that stuff make it better for use it for a server, but yeah, I was surprised the first time I've installed debain and it didn't had sudo, still you can add it easilly, no need to complain on the interwebs like a retard.
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.