[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Crytek just announced a partnership with AMD and released screenshots
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 8
File: MotoSim_171FPS_4K.jpg (91 KB, 604x453) Image search: [Google]
MotoSim_171FPS_4K.jpg
91 KB, 604x453
Crytek just announced a partnership with AMD and released screenshots of the new Cryengine. The new new engine is optimized for AMD cards showing a 23% - 55% on all cards when compared to the same Nvidia cards of the same tier.

TLDR NVIDIA IS FINISHED
>>
>>53149938
is it even on vulkan?
>>
>>53149938
Nice source.
>>
>>53149938
Woaaa...
>>
>>53149938
K...KEEP ME POSTED
>>
>>53149943
They're working on it.

PS - they've almost got full linux support but Crytek is bitching about drivers
>>
>>53150023
I take that back, they have full Linux support. Still bitching about drivers though.
http://docs.cryengine.com/display/SDKDOC4/CRYENGINE+on+Linux
>>
this is going to change the gaming industry
there really isn't a reason not to move every game to this engine

they might actually be finished this time
>>
>implying nVidia hasn't been sitting on something YUGE waiting for something like this to give them a reason to announce it
>>
File: 1445615335437.png (34 KB, 391x197) Image search: [Google]
1445615335437.png
34 KB, 391x197
>>53149953
>>
File: 1455672516807.jpg (53 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
1455672516807.jpg
53 KB, 600x800
This is the best AA I've ever seen. Looks like it was created by god.
>>
wow, if that is an unedited picture that's really impressive, I quickly looked and thought it was real until I looked again
>>
>>53149938
>The new new engine is optimized for AMD cards
Until nvidia's significantly larger driver optimization team gets their hands on the shaders and starts rewriting them all for nvidia performance.
>>
>>53150147
Is that possible? Can they just get a hold of the engine's shaders and do that? Also, does that mean they can force their version of the shaders into games?
>>
>>53150049
It's a shit development environment with no documentation, support or intrgration with major software packages and licensing terms are really shady.

It does not even conpare to developing with unreal 4.
>>
>>53150254
Why do you think graphics drivers are hundreds of megabytes in size?
>>
>>53150417
Because they're hard to make and they have lots of stuff in them?...

I know NVidia is sleazy (any company in control of a market will be) but I don't think they're that shitty.
>>
>>53150417
to elaborate on my answer with less snark,

>>53150254
>Is that possible?
It's literally the majority of what they've been doing for many, many years.

>Can they just get a hold of the engine's shaders and do that?
In the case of OpenGL, the API literally requires programs to upload plaintext GLSL to the driver.

In the case of DirectX, it's usually precompiled bytecode that gets passed to the driver software, but usually you can either extract the shader source from the program itself or just perform your optimizations on the assembly level.

>Also, does that mean they can force their version of the shaders into games?
The drivers are what connect the program (and its shaders) to the actual graphics hardware.

They can literally check the uploaded shader against a hash of known shaders and upload their optimized replacement instead.

This kind of thing is done widely even outside of GPU drivers, for example using an edited version of d3d9.dll which inject new shaders like FXAA into the program that uses it. (Or sometimes entire replacements for the normal rendering pipeline, such as the popular ENBSeries and other related VFX projects do)
>>
>>53150488
>and they have lots of stuff in them?...
90% of which is replacements for video game shaders.

Every time a new major game comes out, you see nvidia etc. releasing a driver edition with _the game's name_ literally branded into the release notes.

Here's the latest one for example: http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/98550/en-us

>GEFORCE GAME READY DRIVER
>Learn more about how to get the optimal experience for ARMA 3, Street Fighter V, Monster Hunter Online, and HITMAN (Beta)

You know what a “game ready” driver is? It's a driver that literally changes nothing about the driver itself except for adding new shader replacements - in this case for ARMA 3, Street Fighter V, Monster Hunter Online and HITMAN (Beta).

oh, and
>Prior to a new title launching, our driver team is working up until the last minute to ensure every performance tweak and bug fix possible makes it into the Game Ready driver. As a result, you can be sure you’ll have the best day-1 gaming experience for your favorite new titles.

They don't even hide it.
>>
>>53150488

how is it sleazy to add optimizations into your own driver? they're just providing the best service they can to their customers
>>
>>53150049
>changing the gaming industry

Lmfao
>>
>>53150491
>>53150534

I knew that nVidia did shady (no pun intended) shit with graphics but I didn't know it was that bad. I feel bad for buying a GTX card.

Slightly related - x86 has its own assembly language, so what is the assembly language used in GPU cores?
>>
>>53150117
It's blurry as shit I thought the picture was out of focus
>>
>>53150623
Every architecture has its own ASM
>>
>>53149938
sauce? more pics?
>>
>>53150576
other than the fact your fixing someone elses code in drivers?

you don't see anything wrong with that?
>>
>>53150623
You think AMD isn't doing the same? AMD's driver team is just smaller than nvidia's.

It's not like changing the way the game looks or cutting corners in benchmarks, which are actual sleazy practices.

It's not exactly a big secret either. They're essentially just doing their job. It's just taking shit, slow game dev code and turning it into good, fast driver team code.

The bottom line is that game devs fucking _SUCK_ at programming, especially programming graphics hardware.

And somebody needs to clean up the mess.
>>
>>53150666
so why not the game developers?

this is why nonfree software is fucking dumb and shitty.
>>
>>53150623
I think you're reading this the wrong way.

This isn't them changing the shaders for everyone, it's just replacing them and optimizing them for their own cards.

>>53150664
literally what is wrong with that? if they can't serve up optimized shaders for your cards you can just intercept and replace them on the fly instead. same look, better performance.

>>53150666
This. thx devil.
>>
>>53149938
i can't quite tell if that's a photo or CG
>>
>>53150664

how else would you do it? you can't really expect devs to implement optimizations for every past, present and future gpu architecture from nvidia/amd/intel into their game
>>
>>53150701
because that's like inserting code in the the fucking kernel to fix a bug in fucking software.

Drivers should not be fucking doing anything other than facilitating the ability to communicate with hardware, not fixing garbage fucking code.
>>
>>53150703
CG. You can tell from the too-flat and unshaded surfaces on the gate and the way the lighting is reflecting off of seemingly everything in a very similar, predictable manner.

It's really good CG though.
>>
>>53150623
>so what is the assembly language used in GPU cores?
Basically depends on the GPU architecture.

For example AMD's line of GCN-based cards are based on the GCN architecture, which executes the GCN instruction set.

GPUs are a bit more complicated than CPUs in general though. They don't just execute code, they're essentially a like a gigantic state machine.

The driver doesn't just feed assembly to the cores for them to execute, but it also controls lots (1000s) of state variables that determine what exactly the cores are doing.
>>
>>53150417
Mainly because of thousands of game fixes and because of supporting different generations of GPUs
>>
>>53150716
why not?

software isn't fucking static.
>>
>>53150693
>so why not the game developers?
Because customers like us buy based on what performs better in the benchmarks?
>>
Great! can't wait for Crysis 4...
>>
>>53150703
>>53150728

It's a single frame from a live render using the new skylake on a 980. I suspect the fps will drop once you have a bunch of bikes moving at this detail. Considering 60fps is barely a thing at the moment with better hardware, this is a huge improvement for the industry.
>>
>>53150716
You would do it the same way you do it with software for the computer.

Developers make the software for the hardware, and if something new comes along we rely on hardware manufacturers to be legacy compliant.
>>
>>53150701
This isn't shitty until you start using your piles of money to pay retarded developers to write code optimized for your hardware.
>>
>>53150768
>>53150728
the lighting is pretty incredible if they're not doing raytracing
are they doing raytracing? last i checked hardware wasn't really fast enough to scenes that complex with raytracing in realtime
>>
>>53150703
>>53150728
Some of the raytracing/rendering communities have set up active competitions for creating fully CG rendered images that looked indistinguishable from photographs.

I remember once (~10 years ago) stumbling across an archive containing 100 images in total, and your goal was to figure out which were real and which were fake.

(spoiler: they were all CG, some much less obviously so than others)

It might be interesting to look into the current-year state of these kinds of competitions and just how convincing their results are getting.
>>
>>53150786
or maybe the responsible code for such issues should be separately maintained in libraries and updates can be pushed instead.
>>
>>53150823
That's what nvidia is doing with their game ready drivers, basically.
>>
>>53150786
>You would do it the same way you do it with software for the computer.
If Intel had the power to release software patches to their CPUs in order to transform unoptimized code in popular programs into optimize code, you bet they would.

The difference is that the API for CPUs is _much_ lower level than the API for GPUs. You can get away with sticking these kinds of things into the driver because the driver is the only thing you interact with.

There's some “good” news though, the next generation of graphics APIs (vulkan etc.) will be so much lower-level that this kind of stuff will plausibly become less prevalent.

Ironically, that might mean that most game companies see OpenGL as being faster than vulkan simply because vulkan runs their software as-is :^)
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (50 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
50 KB, 1280x720
>>53149938
Fuck yea Cryengine! Remember how the original Cryengine was supposed to revolutionize gaming? Remember all those companies that used the engine to make amazing looking games? ....neither do I....
>>
>>53150254
>>53150693

Yes, they also have their own plugins in the NVAPI specially written for their hardware architecture and the same goes for AMD, the problem is that since Nvidia's GPU architecture is so different from AMD's those plugins don't work so well on AMD cards but the same goes for AMD plugins in Nvidia cards, so developers have to write for both so when you see a game running really badly in one card is because the developer was just really lazy.

Also since the first Fary Cry game Nvidia made a policy to never change anything that could modify the image quality in exchange of performance so technically those "custom shaders" aren't really cheating or shady as people would like to think.
>>
>>53150804
There's been some fast raytracers coded, especially by john carmack, but they mostly just fell short of performance:looks compared to regular shader tech.

>>53150834
>If Intel had the power to release software patches to their CPUs in order to transform unoptimized code in popular programs into optimize code, you bet they would.
I mean, this is basically what they wanted to do with their x64 ISA. Put into play some really astoundingly powerful hardware that just needs fantastically optimized and written compilers and code for it to work well.
Sadly, coders are bad at doing this and it had 0 backwards compatibility.
>>
>>53150859
>There's been some fast raytracers coded, especially by john carmack, but they mostly just fell short of performance:looks compared to regular shader tech.
It's never a question of performance, it's _always_ a question of efficiency.

e.g. (quality*framerate)/(dollar*watt)

>Yes, they also have their own plugins in the NVAPI specially written for their hardware architecture and the same goes for AMD, the problem is that since Nvidia's GPU architecture is so different from AMD's those plugins don't work so well on AMD cards but the same goes for AMD plugins in Nvidia cards, so developers have to write for both so when you see a game running really badly in one card is because the developer was just really lazy.
This is actually pretty annoying especially in projects where I want to keep the code simple, understandable and maintainable.

Right now, that translates into “good performance on AMD cards, bad performance on nvidia cards”. (I wrote the code this way despite using an nvidia card myself)

The two GPU families are so different that even at the high, high level of OpenGL + GLSL there are _major_ differences in performance characteristics. (And therefore, how you have to write your code to make the best use of the hardware)

(Fortunately, I've just started exploring the wonderful world of compute shaders which give me a much nicer access to the abstraction I actually want to be working with, and is significantly faster on both nvidia and AMD)
>>
All this goes to show is that engine developers and graphics card makers are petty faggots who don't give a fuck about their userbases.
>>
Nice, is this today's thread to convince others to buy amd?
>>
>>53150982
Not until they can write Linux drivers that actually have working vsync in my setup. (Two monitors: different orientations, different resolutions, different framerates)
>>
>>53150972
Don't you like, GET it man? AMD has like, 18% marketshare. If we like, make our games work BETTER on that 18%, we'll be set for LIFEEEEE MAN

Just IMAGINE the POSSIBILITIES
>>
>>53150693
>There would be so many free games
Are you serious? No game developers would work for nothing. It's a full time job and they need to eat.
>>
>>53151182
Only the software needs to be free, you can always sell assets with it.
>>
>>53150049

>this is going to change the gaming industry

my sides imploded
>>
>>53151248
The next change in the gaming industry won't happen on a desktop computer, but your mobile devices and cheap purpose built consoles.
>>
>>53151265
This.

Desktop gaming is a niche market; mobile is where the money is. You shitheads never listen.
>>
>>53150534
Newsflash AMD does this too.
>>
It's a photograph that's slightly overexposed to give it that gamey HDR look. You can even see the fucking finger of the guy taking the picture
>>
File: 1456293930015.jpg (17 KB, 320x375) Image search: [Google]
1456293930015.jpg
17 KB, 320x375
Op here, here is your winner.
>>53151471

Thanks for playing!
>>
>>53150039
It's because AMD has classically built shitty drivers for Windows and even shittier drivers for Linux.
>>
>>53150387
https://wiki.unrealengine.com/Linux_Support
More will follow. Valve has put a noticeable amount of pressure toward Linux support.
>>
>>53151471
it's actually his hand covering the sun in the background. my co-worker David took this photo when I brought his KTM to work in my truck.
>>
>>53150491
Good post and all, but stop using 'literally' as semantic filling.
>>
>>53150623
I really dislike Nvidia, but how is improving a game's performance 'shady'?
>>
>>53151026
I'm 8 hours late, but you're a special kind of stupid aren't you?

You do realize that nvidia literally does shady practices in order to gimp AMD performance right?
Which means that the developers aren't cattering to 100% of the market for best performance values, they're having good results with 82% of the market.

If you're into business and you have the possibility to make that number a lot higher, then you will of course take it, and with AMD optimized games both nvidia and AMD run the games great because AMD aren't bastards like nvidia.

In the end the developer gets 100% market instead of the 82%.

Eat a bag of dicks m8.
>>
Show me a linux re-release of Crysis on this engine with Vulkan and without Steam.
>>
>>53153964
see
>>53151566

In fact... Everyone needs to see
>>53151566
>>
File: ktm a shit.jpg (3 MB, 4100x2116) Image search: [Google]
ktm a shit.jpg
3 MB, 4100x2116
>>53149938
>KTM
>>
File: tassellation.jpg (1 MB, 1240x800) Image search: [Google]
tassellation.jpg
1 MB, 1240x800
>>53149938
>Crytek
IT'S A TRAP!
https://techreport.com/review/21404/crysis-2-tessellation-too-much-of-a-good-thing

They're going to gimp AMD cards and claim
>See? Even with games optimized for AMD the performance is still worse that with a nvidia GoyForce
>>
>>53155149
>t. poorfag that couldn't afford a KTM
>>
File: implying.png (190 KB, 779x960) Image search: [Google]
implying.png
190 KB, 779x960
>>53155302
Every time.
>>
>>53151823
I'm hoping that this makes AAAs cross-platform on day one.

Insurgency: Sandstorm on Unreal Engine 4 will be awesome.
>>
>>53151440
I never meant to imply otherwise. See >>53150666
>>
>>53155339
i would eat shit if it looked that good
>>
I'm all for AMD to finally catch up but christ a source would be great OP.
>>
>>53149938
Vulkan + Polaris is cooming
>>
>>53149938
>tfw Crytek singlehandely ushers in the age of linux gaming
Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.