[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what av does /g/use?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 9
File: download.jpg (7 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
7 KB, 225x225
what av does /g/use?
>>
>>53137221
Avira + Malwarebytes + Online Armor (HIPS)

Significantly more protected than 99% of Windows PC's thanks to Online Armor.
>>
Malwarebytes Pro and Common Sense 2016
>>
>>53137221
ublock origin and common sense 2017
>>
my brain
>>
Windows Defender + AVG + MWB + Adblock Plus + uBlock
>>
>>53137325
>Windows Defender
Disable it PLEASE
>>
MSE because what does it hurt. WHen I have something I really question I send it to Virustotal manually.
>>
>>53137221
eset
>>
RebeccaBlackOS, of course.
>>
GNU©/Linux™
>>
>>53137221
NanoAV
>>
>>53137221
I use Pandasecurity since I got a free 3 year code from a buddy of mine.
>>
Avast + malwarebytes. Put it in gaming mode and you'll never know its there.
>>
>>53137566
>GNU©/Linux™
same here, nothing else matters.
>>
Common sense.
>>
Win7 + avast + adblock plus + malwarebytes + common sense simulator 2016

Only thing I found was the god forsaken trusted installer bullshit on my old win7, haven't seen it since I upgraded to a new SSD.
>>
>>53137221
MSE + uBlock origin + common sense 2004
>>
I don't use AV because I'm computer literate.
>>
Anyone arguing with nothing but common sense should immediately leave /g/.
>>
>>53137661
>avg
>>
kaspersky
>>
If you're using an av, kys. They're worthless pieces of software that degrade your resources. Just delete your viruses yourself, or better yet don't get viruses. Be secure.
>>
>>53137221
Used Avira on my last laptop (dead GPU), hated it. High RAM usage (with 2GB RAM + Vista = bad), daily auto-update annoyed the heck out of me as it sort of make the system freeze... and whenever it found a "virus" which wasn't one... it scanned the whole system, taking 30 minutes and wasting resources (couldn't abort or disable). Menus were at times confusing. I also had to get that one tool that disables the ads popups... never again Avira (weird thing is that I always read how "light" and "good" Avira is, almost no negative feedback).

New laptop (Win 8.1): came with McAfee (license expired), got rid of that. Had Panda Free on it, expired for whatever reason and got rid of it.
Since then my system has been AV free and I don't think I'll get any viruses. During my 7 years of using Avira it never reported or showed any viruses. That's why I believe Avira never did anything but waste resources -__-

Using uBlock Origin + common sense + staying away from TBP and crap = safe system... though I may try Malwarebytes some day^^
>>
>>53137221
I use common sense 2016 - get_the_fuck_out_/v/ edition.
>>
Windows Defender
>>
File: 1455606221799.jpg (50 KB, 498x412) Image search: [Google]
1455606221799.jpg
50 KB, 498x412
>>53137221
Bitdefender, superantispyware, and bitdefender. Also common sense 2014+2
>>
File: g-data-749x1024.jpg (66 KB, 749x1024) Image search: [Google]
g-data-749x1024.jpg
66 KB, 749x1024
the best one, of course
>>
File: commonSENSE.jpg (90 KB, 290x290) Image search: [Google]
commonSENSE.jpg
90 KB, 290x290
>>53137221
>>
Security Engineer here. Anyone saying common sense is the only thing they use are literally meming. Sure that would work if you kept your system patched with the latest security updates and never browsed the internet. I suppose you could use text only web browsers. For 99% of people, that woudln't work.

also
>implying you regularly scan your network and hosts for vulnerabilities using multiple scanners

Stay meming my friends.
>>
>>53137221
Caution 128 bit 0.0tb
>>
>>53142571
Security Engineer here also, was gonna same the same thing.

>mfw idiots dont even know about the "CIA" triad.
>mfw I bet their routers have default passwords or dont even have apropriate policies in place.
>mfw everyone thinks they can hack cause they see yt vids or superficially read a book about it.

Well posted my friend
>>
File: 1365967756927.png (7 KB, 679x427) Image search: [Google]
1365967756927.png
7 KB, 679x427
>used avast
>applying for jobs during this time
>it was adding a 'scanned for viruses by avast' faggot footer to all my emails the whole time without my knowledge.
>>
>>53143403
LMAO.

That shit happened to me one time. I was furious. Yes its just a checkbox to disable it, but the fact that they did it pissed off every avast user. I sent them an email, and pretty much 50% of avast users said they would disable it and 48% of the users said they were going to stop using avast because of it.
>>
common sense 2020 vision edition
>>
>>53143453
>I sent them an email
Was it scanned by avast tho?
>>
>>53143481
Nah lol
>>
>>53139211
What did you have? A single core CPU with 2GB memory and a 5400 rpm HDD? I've been using Avira for over a year and never noticed the issues you mentioned. It behaves like a lean, out-of-the-way AV, I switched from Avast when Avast turned into AVG version 2 (ie. horse manure) and Avira is much better.

Also,
>Vista
Says it all.
>>
>>53142571
>Security Engineer here. Anyone saying common sense is the only thing they use are literally meming. Sure that would work if you kept your system patched with the latest security updates and never browsed the internet.
No, I doubt even that would keep them safe. I've seen a lot of idiots claiming to have common sense, where in fact many of them do not actually have common sense.
>>
File: logo1_bitdefender-free-edition.png (96 KB, 350x350) Image search: [Google]
logo1_bitdefender-free-edition.png
96 KB, 350x350
Bitdefender
>>
Common Sense 2017 Pre-Release, uBlock Origin, uMatrix, Bitdefender Free.
>>
This thread:
>I don't notice anything suspicious on my machine, therfore I'm safe :DDDDDDD
>>
>>53137325

AVG spies. Don't use it.
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AVG_(software)#Controversy
>>
uBlock and common sense

AVs are useless
>>
Common sense.
>>
>>53137221
MSE and common sense
>>
>>53144210
>my mcaffe didn't detect it, therfore I'm safe :^^^^^^^^^)
>>
>>53142571
Bill Gates here. Anyone who uses an antivirus, is, quite honestly, dumb. If you hand a modicum of common sense and keep updated. Between that and adblock, you'll be fine, but if you really insist, scanning your pc with mbam every few weeks can't hurt. AVs take up system resources for no reason
>>
>>53142571
>>53143357
Well what do you suggest using?
>>
OK fags
I know you guys love to comment
>muh brain
But what do you do when you're pirating software?
You can't predict that.
>>
>>53144116
I'm never gonna let you connect to my network
>>
File: circpau.6d06274a.jpg (32 KB, 649x580) Image search: [Google]
circpau.6d06274a.jpg
32 KB, 649x580
>>53137221
>>
>>53144152

Have a new zenbook 303ua and went ahead and bought Bitdefender Total Security 2016 for 60$. Fuck it, im not a poorfag. So far it seems pretty solid. Just switched from adblock to uBlock Origin.

Do you keep the default uBlock settings?
>>
>>53137566
I still am paranoid about GPU rootkits. Shit is scary as fuck. It's literally impossible to remove without changing your setup.
>>
>>53144062
I used to use BitDefender and liked it until their database got hacked and guess what? Passwords and emails were in plain text.
>>
>>53137237
Discontinued. Migrate to Emsisoft Internet Security.

Also, Emsisoft.

Daily reminder that Malwarebytes, even Premium, isn't an Antivirus. If you think that, you can fuck off this board right now.
>>
>on /g/
>not using GNU/Linux
>>
>>53137221
I'm posting from Windows XP 32 bit right now, and use Common Sense 2016 Edition. I don't even have an AV installed, because I've never seen a virus. As long as I don't install any bad software, I should be fine.
>>
>>53148543

>linux
>reliable
>productive

choose two
>>
>>53137566
>>53137656

Oh don't be like the Macfags. We are not immune to this shit. Windows is historically the biggest and easiest target, but with the rise of Android and iOS *Nix is becoming a very viable and lucrative target.
>>
If ou're using Windows, especially 10, or 8 or 7 if you have autoupdates turned on, antivirus is the least of your problems. Windows IS a virus.

tl;dr Linux
>>
>>53148688

I'll chose Linux and productive, since being productive implies reliability.
>>
>>53148543

It's not profitable to write malware for the 2% Linux desktop market share. If it was profitable Linux would have just as many malware issues as Windows. Same thing goes for Mac OS.
>>
>>53148813
>If it was profitable Linux would have just as many malware issues as Windows.
[citation needed]
I download all of my software through trusted repos that mostly carry FOSS not insecure websites with proprietary malware.
>>
Work machine runs eset.

Home machines run common sense 2016.
>>
>>53148932

It would be very easy to trick a normalfag into adding a repo with malicious software.
>>
I don't use anything, but the other day I ran MBAM and Windows Defender on all of PCs and all it found were crack files for all of the pirated software I have on my PC. So I guess I'm fine
>>
File: Ayeeeeeeeeeee.jpg (9 KB, 148x61) Image search: [Google]
Ayeeeeeeeeeee.jpg
9 KB, 148x61
>>53137221
>av
also.....
>>53148932
>I download all of my software through trusted repos that mostly carry FOSS not insecure websites with proprietary malware.

Unless you personally vetted the code there is no way to be certain that it isn't malware infested
>>
>>53148932
what kind of fucking post is this? anyone with half a brain can download shit for windows and not get infected by anything, so your amazing repos with open source software that you rely on OTHERS to audit for you is nothing to brag about, its just you being vigilant just like anyone else
>>
>>53144116
yea i kno, iv'e literally never used a antivirus and i never see virus popups ever lol
Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.