[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what software does /g use to block distractions and force th
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 18
what software does /g use to block distractions and force themselves to work for a predetermined time.

>inb4 these websites were predifend, I dont visit fucking tumblr, reddit, digg

sofware from screenshot: https://heyfocus.com/
>>
>>53128803
>ctrl + f2
>>
>>53128803
My fucking willpower, you cock-gobbling semen-slurping pathetic spineless pansy.
>>
>>53128803
>predifend
What the fuck you illiterate nigger
>>
File: OP.webm (2 MB, 955x533) Image search: [Google]
OP.webm
2 MB, 955x533
>>53128803
>iAutists need software to keep themselves from getting distracted by their toddler OS
>>
>>53128803
If there's something I really need to do, I'll just open up a new tab group and put on some chill music and get it done before going back to wasting time.
>>
>>53128836
willpower is a limited resource. each time you use it, you loose it (on a daily basis).

it would be stupid to loose it on stupid tasks like checking shitty websites or checking mail.

but on the other hand, you can train it too. Maybe I'll try your approach as soon as I get more of it :)

>>53128869
wow, I miss-typed predefined. big fucking deal

>>53128899
right now you are on /g wasting time too, as soon as I click this button, I'm gone and the only thing I can do on my fucking computer is work :)
>>
File: toddler OS.gif (511 KB, 620x187) Image search: [Google]
toddler OS.gif
511 KB, 620x187
>>53128899
I'd imagine it's pretty hard not to be when using a toddler OS.
>>
LeechBlock. I use a whitelist and a time-based block. 10-20 seconds is usually enough to realize that I'm automatically typing in 4chan.org/g again and I could be doing something better.
>>
inb4 HURR DURR MUH WILLPOWER MUH HOST FILE >NOT BEING ME 2016
>>
File: Main_screenshot.png (151 KB, 510x370) Image search: [Google]
Main_screenshot.png
151 KB, 510x370
>>53128980
>you can hide it
>if it's so bad, why the fuck do you copy it in every other linux distro?

but agian, linux devs are so fucked up, none of you can even program a simple timer which blocks distracting software and websites for a certain time.

>>53129027
>browser extension
well, its something
>>
>>53129099
>but agian, linux devs are so fucked up, none of you can even program a simple timer which blocks distracting software and websites for a certain time.
That's fucking retarded. Can you honestly say that no software more advanced than that exists on Linux? It wouldn't be hard to write. It just hasn't been written yet.
>>
>>53128803
That's actually another handy feature of /g/'s favorite antivirus, Common Sense Pro. It's called Get Your Fucking Work Done You Pathetic Manchild.
>>
File: slacking.jpg (45 KB, 424x432) Image search: [Google]
slacking.jpg
45 KB, 424x432
>>53129147
>It just hasn't been written yet.
i didn't say its advanced, did I?? but yeah, nobody has written it yet. what does this say about linux devs?

>>53129183
you are on /g right now. lets be honest, all of us are wasting time on useless tasks on the internet.
>>
>>53129227
is it just me or does the top row add to 145%
>>
>>53129183
Yeah, haha, I can't believe these guys don't have the same brain as me. I mean, c'mon, I'm me. Why can't you be me? It's so easy given all my particular circumstances and genetics, the billions of different variable which are decided at random, to not get distracted. Why can't others take my lifetime of experiences that formed my habits and learn them overnight?
In fact, people shouldn't even DISCUSS things that don't partain to my incredibly particular skills.

It's literally a symptom of autism that you can't deal with people being different than you. Fuck off. People here are trying to better themselves, and you're using it to feel better about your pathetic life. Leave this thread and go think about what an insecure leech you are.
>>
>>53129227
>what does this say about linux devs?
That none of them have needed it yet? That they just use LeechBlock like a sane human instead of writing it from scratch?
Why don't you write it if you need it so much? What does that say about you?
>>
>>53129099
>none of you can even program a simple timer which blocks distracting software and websites for a certain time.

This can be done with a simple shell script, I'm pretty sure most people here could do it.

It's just a stupid idea when you can just close tabs and focus on something other than shitposting.
>>
>>53129381
>you can just close tabs and focus on something other than shitposting.
I personally can't do this. I'm a very productive person, but my fingers just automatically go to 4chan if given the chance. I lose interest in it completely when a block is enabled, but as soon as it is disabled a snowball effect starts that culminates in obsessively reading every thread for hours. I'm too old to even relate to anything here anymore, but old habits die hard. Consider yourself lucky. I would think about leaving this place if I were you.
>>
>>53129381
Nice meme. The truth is I have such an active mind that I can't focus on one single thing without being forced to stay on it.
>>
>>53129275
thanks man, its really hard to discuss anything on /g. I've actually started exploring this stuff after listening to 'the willpower instinct' and 'deep work rules for focused success in a dsitracted world' audio books. (can be found on kat)

I'm pretty sure most of the posters here don't get anything done either, productive people wouldn't even visit sites like 4chan.
>>
>>53129275
>being this mad

Fuck off you pathetic cunt. No one cares that you're so stupid that you can't focus. Here's a protip, most people don't need it because they can get their work done just fine.
>>
>>53129448
pretty sure you just have ADHD senpai
>>
>>53129519
I'm a robotics/AI programmer and entrepeneur. It is possible to become productive after becoming obsessed with this place, even to harness the regret from being distracted by this place. You will always need to block it for most of the day if you're like me though.
>>53129553
Nice willpower! You didn't reply, and you left this thread to get work done. No doubt you're working on that thesis, right?
>>
>>53129606

I'm not even the same guy as when you first replied, but I'll reply to you as much as I want.
>>
>>53129553
but what's wrong with trying to get help if we can't do that? Why don't you want us to get help? Why do you have to make us feel bad for trying to get better?
>>
>>53128803
Discipline.

Why the fuck do i need an app to "block distractions"? Either i want to do what i'm supposed to and go do it, or i don't. What's an app going to do?

>this app has prevented you from opening youtube

great. Turn it off, try again. Discipline yourself, be honest with yourself, and that's about it.
>>
>>53128944
i bet you measure you energy expenditure in "spoons" too
>>
>>53129639
So now you do reply and everything I said applies to you. Good job.
>>53129658
Willpower is spent by making effort. It takes effort to pry myself away from dumb websites but it's easy to continue browsing them. It takes effort to turn off my plugin, but it's easier just to close the window.
The other thing is that sometimes you just need that little wakeup call. You just automatically type in 4chan, tell yourself you'll just browse one thread, and then end up spending hours on here. Some people are forgetful of this.
It may not work for you, and that's ok. It works for me. You can't tell me what doesn't work for me.
>>
>>53129606
well, usually when I do something complex I'm focused easily (even 3-4 h) in a row.

but nowadays I'm just left with mundane tasks. I've even done them in my head, but now I have to do it in real life too.

>>53129576
I'm pretty sure most adults have ADHD. specially in US.

>>53129689
You cant turn it off.. (maybe you could, by terminating the process) but again, i dont want to think about it, since I would ruin the fukcing app
>>
>>53129712
>(You)

feed me more
>>
HOSTS
>>
>>53129747
>>53129095
>>
>>53129712
>It takes effort to pry myself away from dumb websites
No, it does not. I know i got shit to do, it takes less effort doing the thing that you need to take care of than trying to avoid taking care of it.

And saying "some people are just forgetful" is a copout. Like i said, learn to discipline yourself, it's a very good trait to develop as early on as possible, because without restraint, you're going to go nowhere in life.
>>
>>53129818
You're telling me now what it takes me effort to do? Ok then, I guess you just know better than me what I am capable of. I thought I knew best, being myself, but I was wrong. Any other insights about me, who you know so well, and all the other people who are pretending to not be identical to you?
>>
>>53129818
What do you think we're doing here? How do you think distractible people find the time to better their discipline when at the start they are distracted?
>>
File: o-MEDITATION-facebook.jpg (290 KB, 2000x1000) Image search: [Google]
o-MEDITATION-facebook.jpg
290 KB, 2000x1000
>>53129818
>it takes less effort doing the thing that you need to take care of than trying to avoid taking care of it.
thats great dude, wish I was you

>>53129843
my biggest obstacle is procrastination. and the pomodoro technique seems to work.
>tell yourself you'll just work for 15-25min
>make sure the timer doesnt alarm you when its done
>get started
>usually I go way over the 25 min

also, anyone doing meditation. does it help?

>have to post pictures because firefox is bugged piece of shit.
>>
What's a good one for windows?
>>
>>53129930
Well, i do what i'm supposed to, therefore i can shitpost the rest of the day with a clean conscience.
>>
>>53130031
good for you
>>
>>53128803

Discipline.
>>
>>53130031
you basically reward yourself with shitposting after doing your work??

anyone know how to fix this "file too large" bug on firefox? I'm going to fucking delete this piece of shit browser.
>>
>>53130082
Wow great dude I'm better already
>>
>>53128944
>each time you use it, you loose it
You have to use willpower not to hit the "Quit" button and browse your giggle-tier websites
>>
>>53129930
>also, anyone doing meditation. does it help?
also curious about this
>>
>>53130031
No, after doing my work i get bored, and when i get bored i do whatever i feel like doing.

Today i had an appointment with the bank on my lunch break, after work i had to see my dentist, now i made myself food and got fuck all to do for the rest of the day. So here i am.

If i started to do what i feel like before taking care of my responsibilities, i would be unemployed, broke and on the street.
>>
>>53130170
Most people can take care of their bare responsibilities. Why make fun of people below you if that's all you do? You're not some prolific savant taking pleasure in contributing to society at all hours of the day. How can you judge people below you when you have the same tendencies to a normal degree? Can't you understand that these problems exist variably for everyone?
>>
My own software I wrote, kinda like what is on the mac, but for PC. Im working on a version 2 id like to actually sell.
>>
>>53130198
Who am i making fun of? All i am saying is that learning restraint and how to discipline yourself is very useful.
>>
>>53130266
Ah, sorry. Your tone came off worse than that in my mind given the people who seem to hold genuine malice towards people less focused than them in this thread.
>>
>>53128803
Alt+F4 and Spotify.
>>
File: trump0715.jpg (181 KB, 1600x1000) Image search: [Google]
trump0715.jpg
181 KB, 1600x1000
>>53130235
It should work out, I dont think there are good windows alternatives.

>>53130266
i would guess it takes time to develop discipline
>>
>>53130198
I was once like that, but i overcame it.

When i was in school, i couldn't be arsed to do anything i was supposed to. It wasn't until i got out into the real world that i quickly saw you get left behind if you don't keep up, and nobody will come back for you.

Thankfully, high school is entirely inconsequential, i wish i spent the time there developing some skills i was sorely missing when entering the workforce.

Budgeting and time management was something i didn't know squat about, and when i got serious about it, things sucked for a while trying to catch up, making sense of my personal existence, but when i did i stayed on top. So that was nice.
>>
>>53130350
Dank trump memes aside, I do hope it does I dont need to get rich off it. The cost is gonna be low (in the 1-5 dollar range). Im more concerned about helping people. Will power gets harder when adhd is thrown into the mix. I plan on making it for mac and linux too.
>>
>>53130170
Jobs are different. I don't think much willpower is needed for doing a job you are qualified for.
>>
>>53130350
Of course it takes time to develop any skill.

With discipline, however, you can learn to acquire other skills more quickly, so it should be something you try and do in your formative years. If you hit 30 and still haven't learned to restrain yourself, exercise discipline, and not do some things you really want to, it may be too late.

Next time you catch yourself going on 4chan, and you notice it, postpone the process by just 5 minutes. Say okay, you're going on 4chan now, but wait 5 minutes to do it. Set a timer, and during those 5 minutes, either stare at the ceiling and just bide the time, or do something else like picking up cans and dishes was something i always did. Keep increasing the time. When you get to the point where you're going to go on 4chan in an hour, well, maybe the thing you're supposed to be doing can be done in that time.

It's hard work and takes an earnest will to master your own life. Maybe you really don't care, in which case the exercising of discipline is meaningless, and i have no advise for that person.
>>
>>53130416
Jobs are absolutely no different. They are a chore you have to do every day, and if you don't, you won't get grounded or yelled at, you loose the basis of your life.

And even after work is over, there's going to be things you have to do, like preparing food for the day or the next, cleaning up, doing laundry, shopping etc that really aren't fun but need to be done.

Once you're in the workforce, you have very very little time for anything anymore.
>>
>>53128803
>/g/
>employment
Pick one

also, it's called pulling the ethernet plug out
>>
>>53130472
Those are regular needs. I have little problem doing any of that. But when the reward is more subtle, I tend to get a little lazy.
>>
>>53129147
Because the average linux user, autistic as they may be, is intelligent enough to understand that these shit programs accomplish nothing

If you don't have the willpower to just not check facebook, you don't have the willpower to not kill the program or remove an entry in /etc/hosts. That's it. Your only escape is to leave a more capable machine at home and bring an ancient piece of shit without wireless support outside of the house and do work on that.

You need the internet for work? No, you don't. Even your retarded startup friends who are all into collaborating on a single remote copy don't. Clone, leave, edit, go home, work on reconciliation (if any) and push your changes. Distractions at home? No, you have an unfinished task. You're going to finish it anyways. Oh, but you're an idiot who needs stackoverflow to live? Download the docs. Read them. It's a useful skill. Not everything has a HOW 2 X???? answer on the first page of google.
>>
File: 1456190968953.jpg (74 KB, 1081x720) Image search: [Google]
1456190968953.jpg
74 KB, 1081x720
>>53130528
wouldn't work, I still need google for research whilst working

>>53130542
by subtle you mean far off in the future

>those zuckerberg tits.
>>
>>53130563
What is this reward you're talking about?

Life does not give you rewards. If you call "stopping a bad thing from happening to you" a reward in and of itself, sure.

Nobody will pat you on the head and tell you that you did great. Forget it. Learn about the differences between internal vs. external motivation. External motivation can not reasonably be relied upon with every scenario, so you best learn to be, and i hate this word, self-motivating.

Do the things you think you ought to do because it's the right thing to do, not because of some reward. If the things you think you ought to be doing aren't good for you, you need to change the way you think about things.
>>
>>53130660
I didn't mention a reward. Learn to read.
>>
>>53130563
Man, I'm telling you, maybe it doesn't work for you, but it totally works for me. In that 10 second buffer I put on time wasting websites, I think about what I'm really doing and I stop it. I went from dishwasher to entrepeneur, and I definitely could not have done it without these tools at the start. Not everyone is you.
Of course, the most either of us has to offer is our annecdotal experience. We are both proof that different people need different things to begin to form discipline.
>>
>>53130750
meant to quote the one above yours, sorry, i have nothing to say about your ramblings about linux users.
>>
>>53130793
You don't need a ten second buffer when you have the retardation of a desktop thread on the front page to remind you what you're going to look like once you post
>>
File: my_computer_to_trash_can.gif (3 MB, 524x276) Image search: [Google]
my_computer_to_trash_can.gif
3 MB, 524x276
>>53128944
>try to get out of chair to go to bathroom
>daily willpower limit already reached
>have to hold it in until 12:00:01 AM

dafuq are you on about? Just do your work, it's called not being a pussy.
>>
>>53130829
You don't know what I need.
>>
>>53128836
This

>>53128944
Yeah fucking right. So the marines who go their entire careers and then retire are using a limited resource every day? That's clearly something only someone who can't even control their own actions would say
>>
>>53130869
That's an essential human need and an automatic body operation. Even people in autopilot go to the bathroom.
The physical act of going to the toilet to relieve ourselves is ingrained in us from childhood.
This is similar to willpower. You have probably practiced a certain form of discipline for a good portion of your life. Not everyone has the same experience as you, and may need different things to get work done that you can't understand.
The mechanism for willpower he's talking about is well founded.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-control#Physiology_of_behavior
>>53130932
Please also read the wiki article.
Yes, we can all accept that we can't control ourselves, which is why we're using these tools in the first place. We're trying to better ourselves. What's wrong with you? In your model, why do those marines need boot camp at all when they can just use their infinite willpower to build the discipline trained into them instantly?
>>
>>53130985
>literally impossible to back pseudo-science.

That's alright, I'll will myself with my prescious expendable willpower to not take you seriously. As tempting and trying as that is
>>
>>53131058
Holy shit, did you just have a stroke?
>>
>>53131069
No, I willed myself not to
>>
>>53130869
I'm just citing things read in, according to author there is scientific data to back it up. And honestly, it makes lots of sense to me.

>try to get out of chair to go to bathroom
things you must do anyways don't count as willpower exercises
>>
File: americans-overweight.png (333 KB, 650x350) Image search: [Google]
americans-overweight.png
333 KB, 650x350
also, if any of you is overweight, you have no will power
>>
>>53131212
I'm skinny, but lazy. Being tall is great. When I don't snack and eat small portions, I can lose 3 pounds every 10 days.
>>
File: what-are-you-doing.gif (2 MB, 467x296) Image search: [Google]
what-are-you-doing.gif
2 MB, 467x296
>>53131150
>>53130985
mfw you guys literally spent time researching this and shitposting on /g/ instead of doing work.

I take it all back, you, guys clearly need the help of 3rd party software to function as normal human beings.
>>
>>53131282
Wow, great job, you figured out that we need what we told you we need. Who would have thought that we know ourselves better than complete strangers?
>>
>>53131282
>3rd party software to function as a normal human being

We had one huge incident in our town when the local high school decided to forbid the use of smartphones during school hours, the school went full anarchy and no classes could take place for about a week because clearly a smartphone is a bare minimum requirement to go and do anything these days.

So i wouldn't be surprised if a human needed third party software to function.
>>
>>53131335
This is what's so bizarre to me at threads like this- that in a world where you have people glued to their phones 24/7 that you would have people claiming that it's bullshit that anyone would need more discipline. The reaction to these threads gets worse all the time too.
I don't want to count out peoples' claims without proof, but I feel like it could be because those people are in denial of their own suceptibility to distraction.
>>
File: 1456199789170.jpg (20 KB, 463x520) Image search: [Google]
1456199789170.jpg
20 KB, 463x520
>>53131366
you might be on to something. I remember reading somewhere that people who consider themselves undisciplined are actually more disciplined than those who think they are disciplined.

Explanation being: If you know your brain is fucked up and not suited for modern civilization, you take measures and strategies to control it.
>>
>>53131282
meme off bro :~^DDD
>>
>>53131335
>the school went full anarchy and no classes could take place for about a week because clearly a smartphone is a bare minimum requirement to go and do anything these days
What exactly happened?
>>
>>53128836
this. if i dont get the work done i need to be doing, i feel shitty about it and try harder the next day.

i also keep a curl bar next to my desk and i do some reps when i need to think, or get what im doing back into focus.
>>
File: icequeen.jpg (96 KB, 690x388) Image search: [Google]
icequeen.jpg
96 KB, 690x388
>>53131465
>>
>>53131596
Good for you. I support your decision not to use website blockers. Personally, I like them. Good luck with your gains.
Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 18

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.