[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>>>/sci/7862560 Jesus Christ.... Are all CS majors
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 8
File: 1455568227761.png (287 KB, 836x1065) Image search: [Google]
1455568227761.png
287 KB, 836x1065
>>>/sci/7862560

Jesus Christ.... Are all CS majors this autistic?
>>
>>53104153

No. That is a prime example of srawman you idiot.
>>
>>53104182
/thread
>>
>>53104153
>advanced discrete mathematics to theoretical derive their asymptotic computational complexity and use the principle of mathematic induction to rigorously prove program correctness
i'm in an algorithms class and i hate this shit. i don't believe anyone who tells me writing these formal proofs will see any use in the real world
>>
>>53104338
Future web developer detected
>>
>>53104182

Read the thread.
>>
>>53104357
i make indie games, actually. look up "the witness"
>>
Who cares about what retarded scifags think? They'll be soon replaced by AI developed by computer scientists.
>>
File: 1449339905030.jpg (119 KB, 1024x746) Image search: [Google]
1449339905030.jpg
119 KB, 1024x746
>>53104407
>>
>>53104407
>the witness
That retarded trivial puzzle game?
>>
>>53104431
to be fair, we're likely to replace ourselves before we replace them.
>>
File: wait wut.gif (3 MB, 257x212) Image search: [Google]
wait wut.gif
3 MB, 257x212
>>53104502
>>
>>53104395
>it's not a strawman argument because of this other strawman argument
>>
/g/, quit asking stupid questions on /sci/. Infact just don't go there.

Programming isn't a science.

Cheers.

-/sci/
>>
>>53104536
>make "hurr durr CS fags are so stupid" thread on /sci/
>make reference thread on /g/ saying "look at this thread on /sci/ haha you faggots are so stupid"
>wonders why /g/ goes to /sci/

You're a special kind of stupid, aren't you?
>>
>>53104562

>Code plumber in denial.

Programming still isn't a science.

So stop making shitty threads on /sci/

No one cares how you manipulate pointers.
>>
Can confirm, I'm that autistic.
>>
>>53104680
>Programming still isn't a science.
1) I didn't say that, nice strawman
2) Math isn't a science either, /sci/ is science and maths
3) CS isn't programming, it's applied mathematics

>So stop making shitty threads on /sci/
But this thread was made by someone bitching about CS and then came here and said "look at this thread on /sci/ you are so stupid hahah"

>No one cares how you manipulate pointers.
I see you have the attention span comparable to a 5 year old child on amphetamines. We weren't talking about programming threads. We were talking about this specific thread.
>>
>>53104743

>Beginner to programming here, which language should i learn first?

Literally the first thread on /sci/

You guy's are almost as bad as /pol/ and /x/ spamming pseudoscience threads.

Stay in your containment board
>>
Programming is an engineering. Sciences are for autistic people.
>>
>>53104822

Oh ok.

Then stay in your "engineering" board

kek
>>
File: Middle school level AI book.png (262 KB, 697x534) Image search: [Google]
Middle school level AI book.png
262 KB, 697x534
>>53104431
>Who cares about what retarded scifags think? They'll be soon replaced by AI developed by computer scientists.
>>
>>53104873
I've read the book.
>>
>>53104813
>Literally the first thread on /sci/
That's because /sci/ has 15 users and is the slowest board on the entire 4chins.

I mean, the thread was made 21 fucking hours ago and it's STILL on the first page.
>>
>>53104893
Use the catalog you autist.
>>
>>53104887

And you still haven't realized that AI is nothing more than clever programming tricks + mindless statistics?
>>
>tfw CS major
>tfw do more and more projects with EE department recently
>tfw my new EE bros are all top tier
>not as good in coding, but know basic C and C++, so whatever
>tfw even more than some of my CS colleagues
>help them out with embedded coding
>they teach me how electricity works and how to make basic FPGAs
>they enjoy normal hobbies like football and girls and video games
>we actually PRODUCE something
>meanwhile CS department is wanking over paper #423 on a never-to-be-implemented algorithm to a problem that was obsolete 5 years ago already
I hope you enjoyed my blog post
>>
>>53104935
Uh, what?
>>
File: 1421709369730.jpg (22 KB, 533x477) Image search: [Google]
1421709369730.jpg
22 KB, 533x477
This is why I'm IS master race.
>>
>>53104947
>>meanwhile CS department is wanking over paper #423 on a never-to-be-implemented algorithm to a problem that was obsolete 5 years ago already
I don't know this feel. My research institute has a habit of having recently graduated PhDs start their own spin-off companies. I'm currently working alongside two companies and they're both piling equipment and manhours on me to help me further my research.
>>
>tfw Computer Engineer

Basically CS + some EE + some telematics + SE
>>
>>53104153
Most I know are normalfags who want to make games.
>>
>>53104947
>meanwhile EE department is wanking over paper #423 some shitty new IoT protocol that will never actually be used in the real world
>>
>>53104743
>it's applied mathematics

Lies and slander
>>
File: SE is not engineering.png (2 MB, 1583x6125) Image search: [Google]
SE is not engineering.png
2 MB, 1583x6125
>>53104822
No
>>
>>53105137
Not him, but dependently typed languages are quite close to applied constructive logic. Shame no one gives a fuck.
>>
>>53104480
What do you mean? The Witness is this year's GOTY of the year! The press who is totally not friends with the dev and absolutely do not jerk each other off at indie awards said so!
>>
>>53104153
I'm a few months away from graduating with a BSc Mathematics degree. I have focused on statistics and finance modules in my final year but I did all the linear algebra, logic, numerical methods, analytical shit, etc etc in my first couple of years so I have a good basis.

What would I need to do to get into CS from here?
>>
>>53105992
A lobotomy?
>>
>>53106060
What else do you think I should do then?
>>
>>53105992
That sounds exactly like what was in my CS degree program.
>>
>>53105992
Learn C++, Algorithms, Parallel Programming
>>
>>53105992
Mathsfag reporting, learn C or C++ with Python on the side. After getting good with introductory level shit, go to data structures and algorithms, learn some computer architecture and operating systems along they way, and continue later with whatever else you want be it networking, databases, compilers, machine learning, etc.
>>
>>53105992
>What would I need to do to get into CS from here?

Learn this stuff:
http://4chan-science.wikia.com/wiki/Computer_Science_and_Engineering
>>
>>53105992
For example, master's in machine learning.
Otherwise, data structures, algorithms, theoretical computer science (automata theory at least, arithmetic hierarchy would be good though), programming paradigms, OS and hardware.
>>
>>53105137
>information theory and statistics are not applied mathematics
OK kid
>>
>>53104993
>women's studies: fedora edition
>master race
Dumb frog poster
>>
>>53104873
It's a garbage book that is 20 years deprecated despite calling itself "modern".
>>
>>53109956
>information theory

That's EE and CpE.

>tfw cs majors desperately try to claim Hamming and Shannon as their own
>>
>>53110001
By information theory, I mean the branch of mathematics that was born of shanon's notes.
>>
My personal experience in graduate school is this. People in pure math are often times artsy and behave in manners like humanity students, compared to people in applied math or any sort of engineering and computer science fields. They are the kind of people who can't stop talking shit out of their ass, can't stop mentioning fancy math terms every three sentences while doing nothing of significance aside from being teaching assistants.

In terms of the actual graduate programs theirs is also among the very bottom tiers. Very little fellowship, a lot of teaching and class taking/exams as opposed to actual research, let alone real world projects. These days pure math is just not something smart people get into anymore. I would warn against going into pure math if you are going to graduate school.
>>
>>53110001
>shanon, hamming
>anything even remotely related to EE or CE in any way, shape, form, or manner
Not sure if retarded or just pretending.
>>
>>53110035
I agree with this assessment.
>>
>>53110049
>What are communication systems
>What is coding theory

Information Theory is squarely in ECE territory. Leaching off it for ML doesn't count.
>>
>>53110049
>Not sure if retarded or just pretending.

Hey, that's my line about your post.
>>
>>53104338
You're absolutely correct in that you'll never use proofs in real life.

However, the concepts and general methods you learn in that class will surely help you. That's the purpose of the class, to teach you new ways to think. The proofs are a consequence.
>>
>>53110035
>can't stop mentioning fancy math terms every three sentences while doing nothing of significance aside from being teaching assistants.

As someone who has been in humanities and math circles, there is a reason for this. It's drilled into their heads from undergrad through grad to use what they are told is 'precise' terminology, but it ends up being needlessly precise. Life is not an academic paper.
>>
>>53110124
Found the retard.
>>
>>53104338
>he fell for the 'college is for getting employed' meme
>doesn't study material for the sake of studying material and being engaged in new modes of thought
>>
I read this thread, I wish I hadn't. Either all of you are in bait mode without ever switching it off or (this one is more likely) know jack shit about what math, applied math, CS, CpE, EE, engineering is. In which case the most of you are probably in high school or just started doing their BSc. The rest of you are simply retarded. I at one point wanted to write a knowledgeable answer, but it's unnecessary.
>>
>>53110587
You are right about one thing: you are unnecessary. You are wrong about one thing: you haven't offed yourself yet.
>>
>>53110035
>I would warn against going into pure math if you are going to graduate school.
I don't agree with this if the undergrad program is at least decent. I took pure maths with CS and got relatively comfy with higher level maths. Applied maths in here doesn't even touch higher level stuff after baby Rudin. That isn't good if you apply to any grad school worth a shit.
>>
>>53110645
Oh, my gosh! What is it, little babby? You seem to have made such a high quality shitpost I'm almost crying from the knowledge that such wonderful ,kind people full of joy, happiness and love exist on this board to answer me to the best of their knowledge. I'm so proud of you, little babby. Now tell what's the matter? Was that babby level lesson from your professor about power in sinusoidal AC circuits were too hard?
>>
>>53110252
>You're absolutely correct in that you'll never use proofs in real life.

... unless you work in academia. I've spent whole weeks working out proofs on whiteboards.

>>53110124
>Information Theory is squarely in ECE territory.

Nothing so widely used is "squarely" in any one territory. At one point it was almost entirely EE, but I'd be surprised if there's more work in it in EE than CE and CS.

>>53107904

Depends on your mathematical specialty. Cryptography is heavy with algebraists, most CS specialties are heavy in discrete math, machine learning (read: "what we call AI now because calling it AT gives us less chance of getting funded") is heavy continuous math and statistics.

"Data science" is a current big buzzword for ML, and tends to attract a lot of (non-discrete) math-heavy people.

>>53105175

The butthurt is remarkable.
>>
>>53110765
>babby
baby
>>
>>53110765
Soothe your butt before you can never soothe it again!
>>
>>53104153
Its a prereq
>>
>>53104813
>"Hurr Durr, someone posted on a public board so now I'm going to blame another board"

Kill yourself.
>>
>>53110001
Hamming was an adjunct professor of CS
>>
>>53110448
this
>>
>>53114562

Because there are no good cs phds to fill the department so they need to outsource
>>
>>53109984
>20 years deprecated

So what? AI hasn't advanced in 40 years.
>>
>>53115434
But he wasn't educated as an EE or something like that. He was more of a computer scientist than an electrical engineer.
>>
>>53117363
>what is deep learning
>>
>>53117363
This. It's not like AI is literally the fastest moving field or anything and it's not like stuff from 2 years ago are already deprecated by current advances.
>>
>>53117402
A meme
>>
File: 1405709670753.png (212 KB, 404x475) Image search: [Google]
1405709670753.png
212 KB, 404x475
>>53104993
Aloha snackbar
Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.