[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Daily Text Editor War
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 9
File: _.jpg (85 KB, 569x400) Image search: [Google]
_.jpg
85 KB, 569x400
What are ya hacking with, /g/?
>>
>>53103624
NANO
A
N
O
>>
Emacs with the Spacemacs config.
>all the ergonomics of Vim
>all the power of Emacs
It's almost magical.
>>
>>53103637
vim you fucking normie
>>
>>53103624
VIM VIM VIM VIM VIM VIM VIM VIM VIM VIM VIM VIM VIM VIM VIM VIM VIM VIM VIM VIM VIM VIM VIM VIM VIM VIM VIM VIM VIM VIM VIM VIM VIM VIM VIM VIM VIM VIM VIM VIM VIM VIM VIM VIM VIM VIM VIM VIM VIM VIM VIM VIM VIM VIM VIM VIM VIM VIM VIM VIM VIM VIM VIM VIM VIM VIM VIM VIM
>>
>>53103672
It's almost like using a tool that fits your personal preferences is a sensible thing to do.

Now lets force everybody to use that same thing, but regardless of their personal preferences this time.

Shit thread OP, you're not even trying anymore.
>>
ACME
C
M
E
>>
>>53103624
Sublime Text 3 master race reporting in.
>>
I dont understand this still . You mean editor like for everyday editing quick little shits or when you actually doing programming work for money and/or for your own personal projects?
>>
>>53103750
It's a good buy... very fast and just as customizable as other editors.
>>
A T O M
T
O
M
>>
I thought it took blue pills to cure my ed in a vim. But that hasn't bothered me since I found kate.
>>
>>53103624
Fell for the emacs meme originally, now using intellij with emacs keybindings (which I will wean myself off of)
>>
File: Untitled Document 1 - gedit_003.png (19 KB, 1855x1056) Image search: [Google]
Untitled Document 1 - gedit_003.png
19 KB, 1855x1056
Honestly what's wrong with gedit?
>>
Atom.
>>
>>53103637
>2016
>not using ed
>>
>>53103839
I used to like Gedit... 'till I started using Sublime.
Gedit has shit for packages. Sublime has a metric fuck ton if you use the package manger (https://packagecontrol.io/)
>>
It all depends, out of the box do you want to hit ctrl+keys all the time or do you want to click esc first before modifying your docs. I hot keyed my caps lock to be escape and I really haven't looked at emacs ever since. Sublime costs money, and vim is pre-installed on all Linux distros so why bother with going out of your way to learn emacs?
>>
>>53103804
I just used the portable crack, works even when updated.
>>
>>53103855
This desu senpai
>>
>>53103624
Real question here.
I know Vim. For me Vim was a gradual transition. First I've learned the basics and didn't use it for a while. Then tried it again, this time with so many plugins that it was basically as big and clumsy as an IDE, and then left it for a while. Later I've decided to buckle down and learn it properly. And now it is literally second nature for me.

But I really don't like to take sides, Emacs seems good, and it might be as good as Vim but I never gave it a chance.

Should I try Emacs? How long is the learning process? is using something like the Evil plugin (which supposed to be Vi commands in Emacs) something I should try or something I should avoid (at least at first to get used to Emacs)?

What do you say?
>>
I use vim to write CSS. Hope this helps.
>>
emacs
>>
>>53103624
Emacs and VS
>>
Atom.
>>
>>53104624
>which supposed to be Vi commands in Emacs
It is, try it. I was a vimfag, but got lured to Emacs because of the language modes, and I've found evil rather comfy. The only Emacs commands I remember are the ones related to package management.

This being said, it's better to know how to C-x C-f ~/.emacs, in case your config craps out for any reason.
>>
There are other text editors besides emacs? Why would anyone use anything else?
>>
>>53103852
>>53104831

deez mafuckas know whats up
>>
>>53103723
Personal preference is a bad excuse to justify using something suboptimal. Some things are more efficient, some things are less efficient.
>>
File: 1374941959214.png (38 KB, 256x256) Image search: [Google]
1374941959214.png
38 KB, 256x256
If it were opensource you faggots would be all over it like jesus christ just came to live to force scarjo to fuck all of ya

but because it is against the ideology it gets only attacks despite rather high quality
>>
>>53106322
>entirely neglecting the impact comfort with has on efficiency
you can throw around features all you want but the bottom line is that someone who really doesn't like emacs will never be as efficient on it as they would on something they enjoy and are comfortable with. there is no true optimally efficient text editor because human subjectivity is an intrinsic factor
>>
>>53106374
Sublime is pretty rad. I would use it if it were open source and didn't use that hellish pile of shit that is GTK.
>>
>>53103750
the best text editor out there.
tried atom, brackets, vscode, komodo, nothing comes even close
>>
>>53103738
the right answer
>>
>>53106412
People "don't like" editors because either it's a bad editor, or they don't know about the editor enough to have a valuable opinion about it. If you tried emacs once and don't like it your opinion about it is baseless and therefore worthless. It's substituting ignorance for personal preference just so no one can argue with it, but in the end it's keeping you stupid.
>>
>>53103624
>Text editor
>"hacking"

>>>/reddit/
>>
>>53106374
I wouldn't use a mouse dependent editor. Sublime is funny for starters but not too serious of an alternative to vim and emacs.
>>
>>53106632
theres vintage mode to get vintage keys support
but you can most definitely do general navigation and movement with keyboard only as well, what action do you imagine needs a mouse

the command palette thats now everywhere from atom to vivaldy where is nice example of how keyboard is kept on mind
>>
>>53106686
>to get vintage keys support
I meant vim keys support
>>
>>53106583
i'm not sure you understand how human minds work. we TRY to be rational, but it's never guaranteed. we are whimsical creatures, entirely subject to first impressions, emotional stimuli, etc. it is entirely possible that someone (who is very intelligent, because you feel the need to make a value judgment about it) simply got a bad impression of emacs and from there on has never liked it.

your argument is self-serving and asinine. naturally, you use the most "optimal" editor, right? my opinion on anything i have an opinion on is always valid. it might not be valid to you, but it is valid to me -- the only person it matters to when i'm dealing with internal calculations like enjoyment.

is it possible that one editor is more feature-rich than another? absolutely. does that matter? not unless the editor's reason for existence is to have features.

a text editor is only useful in as much as it facilitates the editing of text BY A HUMAN.
>>
File: i1oSVSV.jpg (62 KB, 590x582) Image search: [Google]
i1oSVSV.jpg
62 KB, 590x582
Emacs + Evil
>>
>>53106686
Yeah, I see where you're going. But emulating vim in Sublime and using vim is just not the same. Like clunky bloaty mess vs KISS efficient. I used to use Sublime but I'm a lot more efficient on vim now.
>>
>>53106957
sleep tight porker
>>
>>53106844
>my opinion on anything i have an opinion on is always valid. it might not be valid to you
That's only true for subjective things. Efficiency of an editor is not subjective. How "good" an editor is is not subjective. Your enjoyment is subjective, but not relevant in the discussion of how good an editor is (because it is subjective).
So here's how discussions work: you put aside all subjective elements and make a reasonable comparison.

By your reasoning I could argue that for me 1 + 1 = 3, because that's my opinion in my number system. It would however take away all value of discussion, and keep myself in my own bubble of stupidity.
>>
>>53106957
sleep tight porker.
>>
>>53107192
why do you cherrypick that one sentence? god, i knew you would fucking cherrypick.

efficiency is objective, but it's dependent on human factors. the literal only point i have is that subjective enjoyment is a factor in that efficiency evaluation, and that you neglected (and continue to attempt to actively neglect) this in your quest for self-gratification.

everything always has to be "stupid that" and "stupid this," "you're fuckin' stupid!" with kids and young adults. pretty tiresome.
>>
>>53107365
>why do you cherrypick that one sentence? god, i knew you would fucking cherrypick.
I reply to what I think is the core of your argumentation.
Things like
>entirely subject to first impressions
are covered by what I said, and
>is it possible that one editor is more feature-rich than another? absolutely. does that matter? not unless the editor's reason for existence is to have features.
is just nonsense, I'm not sure what you mean.
>any pro of anything doesn't matter unless that pro is the reason for the existence of that thing
what?

>the literal only point i have is that subjective enjoyment is a factor in that efficiency evaluation
So you're saying that efficiency depends on enjoyment? I don't take it.
The closest you could come to that is to argue that you'd be more willing to take the learning curve if you enjoy using the editor, but efficiency of editors should be based on having already tackled the learning curve.
I would argue that the enjoyment of the editor is based on the efficiency. But still this isn't relevant to which editor is better, more like a result of it.

>everything always has to be "stupid that" and "stupid this," "you're fuckin' stupid!" with kids and young adults. pretty tiresome.
what?
>>
>>53105289
>rather comfy
sorry, weebs are not entitled to an opinion
>>
JETBRAINS // SPECIFICALLY PHPSTORM

INB4 >PHP

WORK\\ IDIOT
>>
Could someone explain to me what is exactly the difference between Emacs w/ Evil mode and Spacemacs?
>>
>not using umacs
>>
>>53109588
Correction, it's uemacs
>>
>>53103624
>>
File: My Development Environment.png (4 KB, 345x204) Image search: [Google]
My Development Environment.png
4 KB, 345x204
ganoooo nanoooo
>>
File: 1413047158867.jpg (43 KB, 494x494) Image search: [Google]
1413047158867.jpg
43 KB, 494x494
who /Notepad++/ here
>>
>>53109668
>SJW++
No thanks
>>
>wants to try atom
>86 MB for a text editor
why??
>>
ex
>>
>>53103624
vim cause it's easier and more logical. also more magical. i hate using nano with a passion. it feels like a joke when im on a system with nano as the native editor
>>
File: leafpad.png (71 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
leafpad.png
71 KB, 512x512
leafpad
>>
>Using autist editors
>No using Sublime Text
>>
Which text editor is the most powerful and customizable?
>>
>>53109541
They include a browser.
>>
>>53110794
>being slow with programming and editing
>efficient people have autism
>>
File: 0002.gif (18 KB, 128x128) Image search: [Google]
0002.gif
18 KB, 128x128
>>53110353
Yay leafpad! I use it also. When in the console I use nano.
>>
>>53107029
>But emulating vim in Sublime and using vim is just not the same
in general, this tbqh

i haven't used sublime, but the intellij vim emulation is utter shit. you can't even use :b, for instance.

i need to make a list of all the quirks and try to fix them, i guess.
>>
Vim and Vim like plugins if I'm forced to code in an IDE
Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.