[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>windows is shit >decide to install arch >wiki incomprehensible
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 6
File: wpid-2011-10-20-17.16.06.jpg (27 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
wpid-2011-10-20-17.16.06.jpg
27 KB, 500x375
>windows is shit
>decide to install arch
>wiki incomprehensible
>wikihow kinda easy to understand
>proceed to install
>can't do shit
>can't find shit
>no error codes

What other distro should I try f.am?
>>
Fedora, OpenSUSE, Ubuntu.
>>
>>53085119

I'd just install Fedora senpai, its pretty solid and isn't a total fucking time sink like Arch.
>>
>>53085119
>>wiki incomprehensible
ubuntu seems right for you
>>
>>53085119
hannah montana linux
>>
>>53085119
debian + xfce or mate
xubuntu
centos + xfce or mate
freebsd
>>
>new to linux
>install arch
Install mint and move on.
>>
>>53085119
Installing arch is for people who want to spend 20 hours per week maintaining it. Install mint or ubuntu if you want something easy that works.

If you are a troubleshooting enthusiast that want to troubleshoot weird errors then arch is for you. But all errors and questions will only get the answer "read the wiki" no matter what it is because Arch users are hostile and toxic.
>>
>>53085119
Try linux mint cinnamon, or ubuntu/lubuntu. Both work out of the box and are easy to understand. They look/work kind of like windows but are miles better.
>>
>>53085119
Mint.
I used arch for 2 or 3 years. My fav.
i was too lazy to install arch on my new computer, so I try mint.
Easy peasy. Everything works.
>>
>>53085217
"After installing <x> u shud enable it wit systemd!!!!"
No single article about enabling services
>>
Mint, elementary, or Debian
>>
Architect (just Arch+Installer)

If that's still too difficult for you, switch to a babby distro like Ubuntu or Mint.
>>
>>53085119
Start with Mint. It's a bit like Ubuntu but not shit.
>>
Mint.
>>
>>53085329
Really? What's this then? https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/systemd#Using_units
>>
>>53085140
>>53085144
> tips fedora

>>53085119
No really though, OP. Fedora is close enough to bleeding edge whole also being stable, and isn't a time sink to boot. Try it. I switched from Gentoo long ago.
>>
>>53085376
>gcc/clang 5
>stable
kek
>>
>>53085407
but it is, anon. point me to some examples backing you up.
>>
>>53085407
Also I think you mean gcc5/clang3.x
>>
>>53085119
There are tons of easier distros, but honestly you should give arch wiki another try. It is by far the most valuable web resource on desktop linux, regardless of distro.
>>
>>53085365
That's way too hard to understand for a n00bie like me, trust me anon.
>>
>>53085365
>expecting people to find that
the arch wiki is only useful if you already know what to do. it is not useful to learn anything new. it is the worst linux resource on the internet.
>>
>>53085119
just use Windows
You obviously just want to use Linux for the special snowflake factor
>>
File: arch-guide.png (1 MB, 1908x9367) Image search: [Google]
arch-guide.png
1 MB, 1908x9367
>>53085119
>wiki incomprehensible
>can't do shit
windows 7 with godmode folder,
windows 8.1 downgraded to 7,
or windows 10 instead pinball now has an online game where you block MS servers and flip coins to choose updates.
>>
>>53085524
The beginners guide is a incomprehensible troll page. It completely skips all the difficult parts, so any beginner might start and suddenly meet some problem that is not answered anywhere.
>>
>>53085498
I'd use OS X.
>>
>>53085119
are you dumb or did /g/ brainwash you into believing arch is actually good for someone who is new to linux
not that its good for anybody
>>
>>53085329
systemctl enable <x>
>>
>>53085119
>wiki incomprehensible
You're to stupid to be even thinking about arch.
>>
>>53085332
Might as well just use Antergos and get the extra niceties.
>>
>>53085571
yeah, even better. Newest macbook in gold, maxed out specs. Better upgrade every release cycle as well
>>
>>53085574
To be fair. It is pretty damn good for learning the system. I've learned a fuckload since I started using it.
>>
File: 1433379303871.jpg (321 KB, 930x815) Image search: [Google]
1433379303871.jpg
321 KB, 930x815
Architect makes Arch so easy to install a total fucking retard like OP could probably do it.
>>
>>53085621
>gold tech products
when will this meme end?
>>
>>53085658
>tech products
nice meme
They're actually gold fashion accessories for poor people. Seems perfectly natural to me
>>
>used Arch for a while now
>kinda want to switch to something more simple
>don't want to stop using pacman+aur
>don't want to lose that feeling of being on a rolling release distro
>don't want to have to spend all that time setting things up if I ever want to go back to Arch

Help. I've been distro hopping like crazy but the fact that I've stayed on Arch for so long kinda shows how nice it's been. But the issues are starting to pile up and sometimes it's just nice to not have to spend hours on the wiki to fix simple problems.
>>
>>53085561
User centrality

Whereas many GNU/Linux distributions attempt to be more user-friendly, Arch Linux has always been, and shall always remain user-centric. The distribution is intended to fill the needs of those contributing to it, rather than trying to appeal to as many users as possible. It is suited to anyone with a do-it-yourself attitude that's willing to spend some time reading the documentation and solving their own problems.

I know is not easy, my first time was on virtual machine with a real hdd partition mounted as image in virtualbox, when lxde was installed reinstall grub and boot from arch.
Learn the process once. Can't be that hard.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Moving_an_existing_install_into_%28or_out_of%29_a_virtual_machine
>>
>>53085630
yeah, but less so than gentoo, slackware, crux or LFS which is the best at that
>>
>>53085699
>save your config files
>use 2 arch installations, 1 for test packages
>keep a clean dd of the /root,/boot partitions, I know even tho your a fagget you always keep /home in a different partition
>>
>>53085795
It's not as much as I have problems with "maintaining it"(granted there have been one or two big issues). It's more that I'm just getting tired of having to do a lot of setup and configuring for every little thing. It's nice to just be able to click on a button and get something to work out of the box every once in a while you know.
>>
>Waaah! Waaah! Archwiki is too confusing waaah!

Lmao top plen
>>
>>53085605

How many packages does Antergos usually install? if it's too many I think it'd be pointless to install it, since it goes against the purpose of Arch. Unless you really like Pacman, which I doubt, coming from someone with no experience in Linux (OP)
>>
Fedora is really good so far, but gnome kinda sucks from what I've seen
>>
Arch has gone to shit lately, sadly. Their packages have gone from good and mostly stable to poor and just unstable as fuck.

Not worth using any more.
>>
>>53085119
>straight from windows to arch
nope
>>
>>53085119
You're obviously a retard, so just install Linux Mint or Ubuntu Mate.
>>
Gentoo
>>
>>53085119
GENTOO
>>
>>53085262
FreeBSD? I hope you get arrested for using such a poor licensed OS, also that you get hacked for such little security
>>
Debian
Does everything every other distribution does, minus the hassle of installing.
Or maybe even some *buntu, they're all the same
>>
I use KDE myself.
>>
>>53085603
You don't have to be smart to install arch, just patient and have some Linux knowledge beforehand.
>>
ITT: assmad arch fags
>>
>>53087354

For me it's not the install process, it's the colossal shitstorm aftermath that I've been made aware of.
>>
>>53087354
>>53087438

And that wasn't meant to be bait, just my observance
>>
>>53085144
Fedora is not a good choice for a newbie who wants all the usual stuff working as soon as possible. Korora is better for that.
>>
File: arch.png (28 KB, 383x400) Image search: [Google]
arch.png
28 KB, 383x400
>>
>>53086499
Bullshit. Arch has become amazingly stable. I use it on 3 different machines with Ubuntu and Fedora installations. Apart from the constant updates, Arch has proven itself to be at least as stable as any other distro I've tried. Grow up and stop spreading shit about Linux. It isn't as problematic as you faggots make it sound.
>>
File: 1451165281430.jpg (41 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
1451165281430.jpg
41 KB, 600x450
>>53085119
You could've just admit you're a braindead scum. A lot of people on /g/ used or still use Arch and are quite familiar with it.
You're not fooling anyone, you're just trying to convince yourself through cognitive dissonance that it all sucks instead of just accepting that perhaps you're not very smart for computers and maybe a bit tech illiterate.
The only one you're fooling is yourself
>>
>>53087516
>Korora is better for that.
I have found the Nvidia drivers to be very, very, hit or miss. As in, 1 out of 4 tries on the same machine, using the same driver. Beats the fuck out of me why, I used pharlap everytime too.
>>
File: 4L_JMrcJoge.jpg (13 KB, 267x189) Image search: [Google]
4L_JMrcJoge.jpg
13 KB, 267x189
>>53085119
Stick with windows, your IQ is not high enough to handle gnu/linux. You will have nothing but problems if you can't handle a simple install. The other option is to bug a macbook. You are a lost cause. We don't need more idiots who can't do anything without extreme spoon feeding clogging the linux ecosystem. Pic related. It's you.
>>
>>53085630
Pretty much any distro can be used for learning. Even the full-fledged distros although they don't force the user to learn as often. If a noob wants to learn by DIY building from the ground up, I'd recommend starting from a vanilla Debian base rather than Arch. Just my opinion.
Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.