[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So its been a while. How is Windows 10?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 9
File: DOOR 11.jpg (16 KB, 635x423) Image search: [Google]
DOOR 11.jpg
16 KB, 635x423
So its been a while.

How is Windows 10?
>>
It's a piece of fucking shit.
>>
It has no advantage over seven
>>
2botnet4me
>>
Microsoft claims it is 30% faster than Windows 7 + 3fps for video games
>>
>>53082408
>>53082383
>>53082377
>>53082361
So how about and answer from anyone actually got win10?
>>
>>53082334
It's still Windows 8.1 + botnet + dx12.
>>
>>53082440

I have it. I see no issue with it. Actually a little faster generally too.
>>
The only issue I have is the WiFi drops randomly.
>>
>>53082440
I used it for a couple of days.
>>
>>53082473
Windows 8.1 + botnet + dx12 - control
>>
>>53082473
ur mum a botnet.
>>
I feel it's superior to Windows 7/8.1
>>
File: 1450653347487.jpg (59 KB, 757x567) Image search: [Google]
1450653347487.jpg
59 KB, 757x567
>>53082334
Tried the insider build on a crappy Toshiba laptop. Made it faster for a while. After a few updates it became slow as shit and now it takes several minutes to boot.
>>
It is good.
>>
>>53082473
8.1 and 7 still have the same spying bullshit.
>>
It's pretty fast on my brand new SSD compared to my old W7 full of startup programs on and old HDD.
>>
>>53082334
Not as buggy as it was when they released it however they still need to fix a few things. One of the biggest problems in my mind is how pathetic the app store is. There's a lot of interesting things but they need to up their game and start allowing more within their app api so that developers really can make some interesting things and actually make it seem worth while. One thing that bothers me is how the touchme app requires a separate download outside the app store because of these restrictions. Even worse is how much bullshit there is with certain apps like sound cloud costing money to use.
>>
>>53082440
I upgraded to 10 then downgraded back to 7.

Metro is fucking ugly, games are just 3 fps smoother, everything else is useless.
>>
>>53082864
not unless you automatically install updates.
>>
>>53083975
>Metro is fucking ugly

this

holy shit that thing is ugly, immediately went back to glorious aero
>>
basically you uncheck some boxes when you inmstall and once you're in you uninstall a couple pieces of bloatware just like when you get a new phones. once you tweak it for 30 minutes it does the same thing as 7 with a couple of exceptions that i've noticed. it has 2 bugs i've found so far. if i try to remove personal properties from an image it always says it's open in another program and can't finish. each time i do it the % complete goes up until the third time it says 99% complete but it can't finish. also, i can't safely eject my usb stick from the pc because it says it's being used by another program even though all windows/apps are closed. i had to turn off the pc to remove the usb stick. hopefully it gets patched soon but other than that it's just 7 with a new paint job, dx12, and some under the hood shit that i don't notice.
>>
>>53082440
really ugly updates, last update stopped supporting my audio card, so i had to revert to last working update and stop updates, and then, the desktop stopped working so i had to re allow updates because as long as windows update is dissabled, windows shits you, so i've been just delaying the restart to avoid the updates
>>
>>53082334
>Loads faster than win 7.
>Ads fucking everywhere
>installing apps requires an account

Im jumping out this horrible cruise line into ubuntu pirate ship
>>
>>53082440
>please upgrade
sure windows, I have no issues, but later
>please upgrade
not now
>please upgrade
I'm back to Elementary
>>
>>53082334
Used it for 2 or 3 weeks to get comfortable with it before I installed mint cinnamon dual boot, and have booted back into windows10 maybe 2 or 3 times since to check for updates.
Seems fairly snappy and lightweight, but 2botnet4me.
>>
it's good. memers gonna meme.
>>
File: keks.gif (2 MB, 400x225) Image search: [Google]
keks.gif
2 MB, 400x225
>>53082334
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVzc5wK2-pc

and

http://betanews.com/2016/02/06/windows-10-phones-home-a-lot-even-with-all-reporting-and-telemetry-disabled/
>a copy of Windows 10 Enterprise
Note, Enterprise is supposed to enable the user to have more control over privacy than other versions.
>disabling every single one of the tracking and telemetry features found in the operating system. Eight hours later, 4,000 connection attempts to 93 different IP addresses were logged, with most of these IPs addresses being linked to Microsoft.
That was on an idle computer. Lel.
>>
>>53082440
Reverted back to windows 7. I prefer aero.
>automatically installs drivers, which can fucking break things up
>ugly UI
>sends so much data to M$ that my internet gets throttled
>old programs no longer work
>1fps gain
>forced updates and can't select them individually
>>
>>53082440

I downgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7. The UI is worse, nothing works, spyware everywhere, forced updates, you have to click a thousand times more to get to your destination, everything sucks. Upgraded to Windows 7 again. A lot smoother, easier to use and overall a better experience than Windows 10.
>>
File: 8_1.jpg (18 KB, 590x327) Image search: [Google]
8_1.jpg
18 KB, 590x327
It's still pretty shitty. Bloated too.

If you want something new and stable, get 8.1. It's a few years old now, so the codebase is super stable and it has all of the good tweaks and improvements of 10. The only downside is the Start Screen but I've come to love mine and much prefer it to 7 Startmenu.

7 is too old, 10 is too new, 8.1 is in the perfect sweet spot between the two.
>>
>Windows 7 - good (odd number)
>Windows 8 - shit (even numberer)
>Windows 10 - shit (even numberererr)
>Windows 11 - good
>Windows 12 - shit (MS downsize on massive scale)
>Windows 13 - (Google buys out MS)
>>
>>53082505
This
>>
>>53082440
i use it, no complaints.
>>
>>53082473
is dx12 going to be backported somehow?
>>
>>53087853
/thread
>>
>>53088717
No I don't think you will ever see it in W7 or 8
>>
File: winblows.jpg (112 KB, 814x587) Image search: [Google]
winblows.jpg
112 KB, 814x587
>>53082334
The same it was when it first came out. A piece of shit.

After using Windows 10 for over a year (I started with the Technical Previews early last year) I finally took the plunge and went back to Windows 8.1 and I couldn't be happier.
>>
>>53087853
All you have to do is get Start8. Problem solved. I bought it when it came out and used it for a while, but I'm actually kind of digging the Windows 8.1 start menu now. Call me weird, but I don't mind it anymore.
>>
>>53088861
Maybe not officially by Microsoft, but someone will figure out how to do it, I can almost guarantee that.
>>
>>53087853
>he doesn't use classicshell
>>
>>53082334
It's great, but I still haven't gotten Cortana to work. I live in Canada so I need special settings to make it work.
>>
>>53087853

been using win 8.1 on main machine for probably 3 years, I never understood the hate it got, it was basically just the start menu meme that persuaded people it was bad yet in reality it was just an improved windows 7
>>
>>53087545
This, sends way too much data to ms. I cant barely play runescape on max now.
>>
Install Gentoo
>>
>>53082334

Store apps cant use SLI or Crossfire because no reason, most apps are just WebViews of facebook.
Store apps developers have chinese letters in their name.
Still forcing touch interface in non-touch devices
>>
File: 1437499996004.jpg (234 KB, 1228x1000) Image search: [Google]
1437499996004.jpg
234 KB, 1228x1000
>be microsoft
>release windows 8 to absolute disgust of customer base
>"fix" with 8.1 release
>still massive butt-hurt
>come up with a plan to release "new and improved" windows with the start-menu, even jumping to version 10!
>windows 10 is practically written by the nsa, gchq and cia combined with a user interface designed by microsoft's janitorial team
>people flood to windows 8.1 as a result
>great success
>>
>>53089236
See, the thing is, that's the only thing that the people who throw hate at Windows 8.1 see.
You ask someone, anyone, why they choose Windows 7 over 8.1, and the start screen is all they can and will come up with.
>>
>>53082408
I am on a thinkpadt420 and thought about installing windows 7 or dual booting with linux. but i haven't had any issues with 10 desu. the botnet shit gets to me a bit htough. but i also enjoy one drive for mulitple laptops
>>
>>53082334

uses more power than 7 and I have serious driver issues. Just had to go back to 7 yesterday, my second attempt at upgrading to 10 on a T420. Will stick with 7 Pro until I upgrade computers
>>
>>53090493

I know rite? Replacing years of tried and tested clean and concise user interface design with an interface for an already dwindling fad i.e. tablets. The outrage.
>>
>>53090493
because that is the main fault of it desu. i always avoided it because of it. i have never used 8 on my own.
>>
>>53082440
>PLEASEUPDATE.
>PLEASEUPDATE.
>PLEASEUPDATE.
>PLEASEUPDATE.>PLEASEUPDATE.>PLEASEUPDATE.
>PLEASEUPDATE.

>PLEASEUPDATE.>PLEASEUPDATE.
>PLEASEUPDATE.>PLEASEUPDATE.

>PLEASEUPDATE.

Also, it looks like someone threw all the features they had available into a pile and shipped it off.
>>
>>53087403
What a fucking joke
Enjoy your telescreens
>>
File: 100_3315.jpg (1 MB, 3472x2604) Image search: [Google]
100_3315.jpg
1 MB, 3472x2604
>>53082440

Had Win7 on my Dell mini10 (1012) netbook. Win7 ran pretty well on it, not as fast as XP on the same machine but decent.

Win 10 32bit was slow as a turtle trying to shit molasses. Couldn't access the "settings app" so couldn't fix a lot of my issues, come to find out a lot of people have the same issue. Had to wait for patch to fic it. Slowness never let up. Took forever to launch something as simple as Firefox. Machine has 2GB RAM but somehow Windows processes sucked up 1.5GB plus 60-100% of the processor just sitting idle. Would boot it and walk away from it for 30min-1hr just to be able to launch FF quickly and almost immediately it would slow to a crawl.

Went back to Win7, then decided "fuck it" 'cause of Telemetry updates and went all the way back to XP SP3.
>>
I gave windows 10 3 tries over the span of 6 months and each time it had a lot of bugs, issues and crashes. I display crashes were the worst, especially when playing vidya.
Anyway, I here dolphin emulator got a huge boost in performance because of dx12 recently and I've been tempted to try one last time. I've been burned 3 times already and I guess I still haven't learned I guess. My windows 8.1 got a bit fucked up when I ran it for a week without the other HDDs plugged in so all the paths I had hot screwy. Gonna either give w10 another try or do a fresh install of 8.1.
What do you all think... Although I guess I know the answer already.
>>
Once you disable the botnet shit, neuter the metro garbage, remove the useless "apps", smack cortana upside the head, and clean up the usual clutter, it's not half bad.

I especially like the addition of memory compression, really helps with shitty low-end hardware that doesn't have much RAM.
>>
>>53091668
If you aren't using a laptop that comes pre-installed with 10, driver issues are going to happen. Even laptops that had 8.1 and have free upgrades to 10 have issues. It's a new version of windows, shit happens every fucking time.
>>
>>53082440
I have it. You MUST stop the windows update service otherwise it gets really fucking annoying. Aside from that, everything works as it should.
>>
There is literally nothing wrong with Windows 10
>>
>>53090736
You're right, let's go back to windows 98, after all, it's been tested for years. In fact, let's wear hats again. Hundreds of years doing so couldn't be wrong. I propose eating shit too, since a billion flies can't be wrong.

>luddites in a technology board

Hilarious.
>>
>>53091939
How the fuck do you disable the botnet shit?
>>
>>53090736
"Windows 8.1 is a tablet interface" is such horseshit. It's a hybrid between desktop and touch and it does a very good job of accommodating for both but not letting either completely take over the interface.
>>
I'll pirate some hacked version of 10 in a few years when somebody figures out how to completely disable all of the spying features. Until then, still on Windows 7.
>>
File: image_read.png (18 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
image_read.png
18 KB, 500x500
Windows 10 has better multi-monitor window snapping functions. Any free third-party programs (like Classic Shell) to address Win8.1's better snapping?
>>
>>53092121
O&O ShutUp10 and SpyBot Antibeacon.
>>
>>53089783
this pic is historically incorrect
>>
>>53091939
You cannot disable the botnet because you simply don't know all the IPs that are linked to Microsoft and its spying on you.
>>
>>53083426
kill yourself please
>>
bricked my laptop
>>
>>53082334
ive had it since day 1. Works great

Only problem i had was when i changed mobos. Had to pirate an activator to make then activation screen thing go away.
>>
>>53092230

Shit, you're right.

Everyone knows that Hitler used a Compaq.
>>
It's great if you play video games, need access to software not available on linux, and input zero personal information. Other then that it's shit. Fuck just stick with 7 unless you're desperate to play W10 exclusive games.
>>
Bought an Asus 303UA with windows 10 pre installed.

No bugs or glitches so far. Very fast. Had it for a week. Would recommend.
>>
>>53092258
Even if O&O ShutUp10 and Spybot Antibeacon (which adds MS IPs to hosts file) combined couldn't get everything disabled, you could still check it out with wireshark to make sure.
>>
>>53092975
I did this, and it still blatantly sends messages to MS, pic related.

But, since only the wife really uses Windows it doesn't matter to me anymore.
>>
>>53082440
It's fine. Nothing to write home about aside from better support for new hardware than Windows 7.
>>
File: 1455833742055.png (81 KB, 263x316) Image search: [Google]
1455833742055.png
81 KB, 263x316
linux is for little bitches who need to be in control of everything because they have nothing else in their life, real men use windows because they DGAF who looks at them, let them look, think I give a fuck, what, fucking tuxedo wearing bitches?
Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.