[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
have you ever bought used hardware? good or bad decision?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 9
File: cpu.jpg (30 KB, 500x499) Image search: [Google]
cpu.jpg
30 KB, 500x499
have you ever bought used hardware? good or bad decision?
>>
You might as well ask if we have ever bought second had under wear. Fucking idiot.
>>
>>53057763
relax friend
>>
I bought a Xeon E5520 for 15$ and it has been running almost 24/7 for the last 8 months
>>
>>53057755

I've bought a lot of used computer parts off craiglist. Never really had a problem. You can find some really good deals there.

The only time was I bought a used 850 EVO for 80$. It had 5tb total writes on it when the guy told me he only used it for 3 months. I sold it to another dumbass tho for the same price so didn't lose any money there.
>>
i've bought a few used hard drives before, never had any problems with those. the gpu i have, i got on amazon on the warehouse deals and it's been running perfectly.

I just bought a used monitor last week from the amazon warehouse deals and it got here with a big fucking scratch on the screen, so that one didn't go so well. BUT after talking with customer service, they let me keep the monitor, and gave me a refund, so I just ordered another one. So it's hit and miss, I'd just make sure there's a return policy.
>>
there isn't any reason to buy a new laptop
>>
>>53057755
yes. Processors, graphics cards, and ram only. Hard drives never and I've been burnt before on motherboards.
>Got my hands on an FX-6350 for $30 because the guy lost the original box and heatsink (somehow)
>Bought a radeon 7850 for $80 at Microcenter when it first came out. Was returned by 3 customers because the 1st buyer ever decided wiping off the thermal paste and not re-applying was a good idea. All 3 people complained of overheating. Bought it, a tube of IC diamond paste, and overclocked it to 1200mhz core clock for its entire life. Fan bearing died before it did
>Bought a reference gtx 670 when they first came out for $120. Returned 4 times to Microcenter because "fan is too noisy" and "ugly color scheme" (no fucking joke, wish I was)
>>
File: rfk 1453967074472.jpg (47 KB, 720x720) Image search: [Google]
rfk 1453967074472.jpg
47 KB, 720x720
>>53057807
I'd be a bit wary of hard drives.

but that's paranoia. generally speaking used stuff is fine. My home server has a secondhand C2Q in it, runs fine. I got a used Thinkpad from an upgrading business, also runs fine. Along with a NIC, some RAM, and other bits and pieces from ebayers or amazon marketplace guys. Also a bunch of camera equipment, it's pretty silly buying that stuff new.
>>
I had my dad buy a whole used PC a friend had custom built. It was only slightly newer than mine and a less powerful processor, but damn if it doesn't run better. Of course he works in IT and knows how to optimize shit.
>>
>>53057755
All my lab hardware, as well as desktop, monitors, and laptops are used, because I have time to fuck with it if something should break. it hasn't.

My wife's desktop, laptop, and monitors are new, because she doesn't.
>>
>>53057755
Used i7 3770 and an itx board for it. I'm kinda bummed because there's a sata 3 slot on the board that is malfunctioning, but the i7 is fucking great.
>>
>>53057755
I bought an x201 off ebay
I think it was used
The ssd says it's been on for six months lol, still working great tho
>>
>>53058121
How much was it?
>>
>>53058171
It was in brazillian bananas. The whole thing was cheaper than an i5 4460+ cheapmatx mobo
>>
>>53058178
Thanks.
>>
>>53058186
if you want to buy an used cpu I'd say go for it. Really hard to have one malfunctioning.
>>
File: image.jpg (7 KB, 168x196) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
7 KB, 168x196
>>53057763
Are you fucking retarded or are you just a first world faggot?
>>
>>53058194
Well, I don't want to say where or how, because I don't need more competition, but I may be able to get a 3770 cheap.
>>
>>53058215
As long as it's not shady/untrustworthy, go for it
>>
File: 1343215369482.gif (930 KB, 200x133) Image search: [Google]
1343215369482.gif
930 KB, 200x133
>>53057755
7950 from a friend 3 years ago. Cost me only 100€ and it still works fine.
>>
>>53058215
how much

i just picked up a 4670k for 100 bucks.
>>
>>53058223
Thanks for the help.
>>
>>53058240
Hopefully around $50-100.
>>
>>53058255
noice
>>
Bought a bunch of thinkpads, a m91p thinkcentre, ram, and a bunch of hard drives. Never really been burned.
>>
>>53058239
I got a 7970 from my friend (who also got it used) and it worked great in my system for the longest time until I upgraded
>>
>>53057755
Things that I wouldn't bother buying used are PSU and storage. Other than these are fine.
>>
>>53057816
To not have cum on your fingers every time you touch it
>>
Got Phenom 965 black edition(it's not black, idk) with mobo and 8gb ram combo for like 100+€ 2 or more years back
Pretty happy with it and all, only minus is that it's still pretty old mobo and has shit like sata2 without 3, and 1 pcie slot, but I'm against SLI/xfire anyway
>>
>>53057755
Bought my 980Ti used
>Perfect condition
>Had the seller benchmark it in front of me
>Unused EVGA code
>Saved 150 USD from the cheapest PCPartPicker had seen it
>Didn't pay sales tax
>Great deal
>>
>>53058453
Nice deal holy shit
>>
>>53057755
Only cases and monitors.
I bought 3 1680*1050 monitors about 6 years ago for 100 AUD each, well worth it, one is starting to fade a little bit, but id guess theyre all pretty damn old.
>>
>>53058418
I think Black Edition means overclock edition.
>>
I have only ever used 2nd hand/gifted shit. And I have a lot of decent gear for very little coin.
>>
Only buy used stuff if you're able to test that it works before committing to the purchase.

Anyone selling second hand stuff should be more than happy to prop it up to demonstrate it works.

Some things to be very weary of:
Graphics cards
Power Supplies
Hard Drives/SSD's

In my experience people sell these items if they're experiencing issues with them. Graphic cards with defective memory or power delivery issues that cause them to BSoD or artifact under load, power supplies with excessive coil whine or a flaky power delivery even at 70% load, hard drives that are accumulating a large amount of bad sectors at an alarming rate or SSD's that's speed is on a massive decline.

ALWAYS try to meet them at their residence to pickup the item. This way you know where they live and they will be less likely to fuck you over. Unless you're buying through something like eBay using PayPal.

And remember. First thing first. Never initiate exchange talks or mention you have the money with you once you've arrived. Look at the item, have them demonstrate it works and if anything is out of the ordinary (marks, some faults or it just seems iffy) back out or cut the price. $150 graphics card? Fans on it don't spin fluidly? Take AT LEAST $20 off that price. Don't let them fuck you. If they won't budge just walk out and leave. They will crawl to you.
>>
>>53057755
S3 and asus tf300t tablet, both cheap and in perfect condition. But its a hit or miss, lately i was trying to get used S4 cheaply and ended up buying a new one after sending away 2 broken ones.
Tldr: used stuff is good if you've got time and a patience to deal with potential fuckups.
>>
I'm not touching anything some other faggot has touched before me.
That's like having a girlfriend who isn't a virgin. Absolutely disgusting!
>>
Traded my laptop for a pretty decent desktop. His pc was far more powerful than mine, but somehow he wanted a laptop for better performance. Guy insisted we made the trade quickly, and when I went to his house I could see why:

>i7 4790
>gtx 760
>16gb of ram (perfect since I multitask like a mad cunt and easily top 8gb)
>ssd
But this is way better, why does he want my lap-
>40€ motherboard
>30€ psu
>el cheapo case

Just finished my inspection, with him saying a laptop is better because building a desktop is hard and the result was not what he expected. Just went with it and made the deal. As I thought when I got home and tested thoroughly, the thing was overheating and reaching energy bottlenecks. Slapped a psu and case I had, and got a new board. 6 months passed without issues.
>>
I just got the ASUS 2GB HD 7850 for a total of $72.45. Did I do good?
>>
>>53057755
Got a water damaged gtx 680 4gb for 50 australian dollars.
5 months on and it's still working perfectly fine.
>>
Do you guys believe in upgrading business like Neverware company does?
>>
Bought a used 770 off of a super sketchy dealer once, but worked for a year straight before I sold it off to someone else. Chances with used hardware are usually pretty good, the guy even let me see it run and get a look at any wear and tear.
>>
>>53059311
Yes sir.
>>
File: 81+OTguHtiL._SL1500_.png (2 MB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
81+OTguHtiL._SL1500_.png
2 MB, 1500x1500
>>53057755
Once bought a re-certified Crucial m4 SSD 128gb SSD for $30.

Shit ended up being more reliable than my 850 EVO which had to be RMA'd
>>
>>53057755
Yep, on several occasions. I've also sold a bunch of my old stuff.
Was a good decision each time.

But you gotta be careful, like >>53059311 is saying.
Generally speaking it's better to buy things from people that are selling because they've upgraded to something else, as these are less likely to be shady deals. Fuck anyone selling shit because they "need the money."

If buying a hard drive/SSD, ALWAYS get the seller to show SMART info. No exceptions, doesn't matter if the thing was bought yesterday. SMART or fuck right off.
Buying an Intel motherboard ? Demand high quality pictures of the CPU socket especially.
AMD CPU ? Same thing. Check for bent pins before you even bother meeting up with the seller.
>>
Got a Xeon e3 1240v2 for £80. Bretty gud.
>>
>>53057755
A whole pc/home server for 30$
It was running 7/24 for 2 years before, and i used it 7/24 then for 2 years, still works fine, even winchester's smart says only that its old.
>>
>>53059588
Bent pins on an amd aren't that big of an issue as long as nothing's snapped off.

>>53059311
I've bought plenty of refurbished or second hand shit online that have turned out fine. Just gotta be careful.
I've also been selling a lot of shit too. Bought a refurbished AM3 motherboard for $9 and sold it for $70 in an auction. Gotta love Australia.

When selling, be sure to cover all the details and take a video before postage to prove it's working. When buying ask for the same. I've never fucked anyone over and I've never been fucked over.
>>
>>53058322
this
Almost all my stuff is second hand except PSU and SSDs. I don't think I've ever spent over 600 dollars on a complete build, excluding peripherals.
>>
>>53057755
I bought a used 970 recently. It was a fucking bargain.

I've also bought plenty used CPUs & RAM to upgrade old PCs that would have been pointless to buy new hardware for.
>>
File: My Babies.jpg (1 MB, 4000x2248) Image search: [Google]
My Babies.jpg
1 MB, 4000x2248
My whole desktop and laptop are used, love em.
>>
>>53057755
Some supermicro motherboards, e3-1220v2 for cheap e5-2670 for ~100.
US eBay has way more stuff also alot cheaper sadly import costs to EU
>>53059588
SMART can be wiped off, happens a lot with various sellers
>>
The only piece of hardware I've bought that was actually "used" was a graphics card. Everything else I got through Amazon warehouse which I don't think counts as used since they normally just sell stuff on there that have broken packaging and shit.
>>
>>53057755
I bought an i7 2600 off eBay a year or so ago, it should last in the current build its in for quite some time.
>>
File: images.duckduckgo.com(10).jpg (181 KB, 716x550) Image search: [Google]
images.duckduckgo.com(10).jpg
181 KB, 716x550
I've purchased 3 new computers in my time. Ive owned over 100 though.... yes I'm a geek for computer parts :(. Down to just the X220T for now after clearing out everything (interstate move) even my i5 4590 32gb ram machine.... It'll build up again.
>>
File: images.duckduckgo.com(8).jpg (265 KB, 1119x865) Image search: [Google]
images.duckduckgo.com(8).jpg
265 KB, 1119x865
>>53057763
Gross you wear second hand underwear.
>>
File: 1451518955331.jpg (13 KB, 194x179) Image search: [Google]
1451518955331.jpg
13 KB, 194x179
>>53057755
Back in the days I bought a used second Voodoo 2 for SLI on a "computer flea market".

RAM was fucked. The dude probably overclocked it too much.

Went back to the flea market to complain but he was already gone.

Never buying used hardware again
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.