[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I feel like PDAs or "smart devices", as they are called
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 9
File: 3_1328631401.jpg (19 KB, 300x315) Image search: [Google]
3_1328631401.jpg
19 KB, 300x315
I feel like PDAs or "smart devices", as they are called now, were a lot better before iPhone.
Do you?
>>
>>53049166
This brings me memories
>>
>>53049166
Nah, but iPhones definitely don't have the same professional "Oh look that guy's busy with adult stuff!" feel that pda's had.
>>
>>53049350
I feel that PDA's and beepers made you look like a busy, wealthy dude.
Back when technology wasn't as accessible as it is today.
>>
They're waaaay better than iphones
>>
>>53049166
i wish we could get an inbetween of the two at least.
things like dpad 4 buttons and necessary buttons, also with a stylus
i would be ok with that.
>>
This is a well known fact
>>
>>53049166
>>53049350
These were built to be somewhat solid, so that business users could think that these were worth the money. New phones today are built to appeal the retarded consumers who think that a thin phone means that it's of high quality.
>>
>>53049166
They felt much more like computers, far more expandable and emphasized on data processing, personal information management and other "productivity"-oriented jobs moreso than being a shiny toy for taking dick pics. I guess they just generally felt like they had more "utility" than a modern smartphone, they treated you like a professional rather than a dumb sheep, lots of nifty freeware applications that weren't loaded full of ads, expansion buses, filesystem access that wasn't an afterthought, stylus input allowing for much more compact interfaces and handwriting recognition tools, devoting your screen space to more actual content rather than half of it going to a touch keyboard and the other half going to giant buttons.

However, that's the PDA aspect. I'd love to see that kind of shit come back, the actual smartphone aspect of them however I felt was quite mediocre. Having to pull out a stylus to quickly dial a number is shit, no instant system-wide search so I don't have to go into my contacts and sort through them is shit, web browsing is somewhat shit.

It's so-so, I enjoy using my old windows mobile and palm devices still, I wouldn't mind a new wave of professional-oriented PDAs coming out, but I'm not going to be bitter about it. It was inevitable, if you like the old stuff, grab some and enjoy it while you still can.
>>
I still have HTC blue angel somewhere
>>
>>53050672
i have a htc Kaiser (gps, bluetooth, wlan, no ir, sdhc (32 Gb), keyboard + screen can be tilted, stylus, quick access buttons on side of phone, speech recognition (no 3rd party, but had to be programmed manually)). These pre-iFuck devices were meant to be useful and not a device to show off in ftont of others.
>>
>>53050378
>These were built to be somewhat solid
Give me a dollar for everytime I've seen an iPhone with broken glass.
>>
>>53049166
>resistive touchscreen
>better
using a stylus on a big screen is OK but using it on a tiny screen is retarded
>>
File: graffiti.gif (14 KB, 320x320) Image search: [Google]
graffiti.gif
14 KB, 320x320
anyone else miss palm's graffiti text input?

you can actually get it as an input method on android, nostalgia feels
>>
I bought a Note 4 because of the stylus. Reminds me of my old Dell Axim. My only complaint is that the AT&T version isn't rootable and I'm stuck with TouchWiz, it's fucking awful
>>
>>53051051
unlike a capacitive stylus which has to fat and inaccurate, a stylus on a resistive screen can be very precise
>>
>>53050867
it even had 4 different methods of text input ( with physical beyboarde 5)
Full Handwriting (the whole screen)
2xLetter + number recognition
on screen keyboard
>>
>>53050980
I would have 4$
of maybe 10 people I know that own iPhones
so yeah

those screens break like shit
>NEVER HAPNED TO ME SO IT NEVER HAPPINS TO ANY1 XDXDXD
>>
>>53051051
Smaller touchscreens are when using a stylus does make sense.
>>
File: wp_ss_20160219_0001.png (60 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
wp_ss_20160219_0001.png
60 KB, 1280x720
>>53050619
>They felt much more like computers, far more expandable and emphasized on data processing, personal information management and other "productivity"-oriented jobs moreso than being a shiny toy for taking dick pics
I stuck with Windows Phone because among WP/Android/iOS trinity only WP looked for me like a system with features you have written. Office and Onenote out-of-the-box, nice and minimalistic calendar, the best as I felt ability to highlight the text and copypaste it.
Too bad it's pretty trash. IE can forbid me selecting text for no reason, memory usage is not optimized good, Office has managed to be worse than old Offices from WM - though it's pretty explainable with modern touch screens.
I like the system but too many flaws. Though they were getting better with every version, hope WP 10 will be better too.
>>
>>53051294
there must be a mobile device on which sou could install ANY OS you wanted (Windows 10, mac os, debian ..........)
>>
>>53051339
*you
+ must do multiboot
>>
We have these now. They just dont fit in your pocket, unless you're Shaq.
>>
>>53051339
>>53051353
PDA on x86? Will it work? I heard they never produced x86 mobile devices because they require too much battery power.
Not like modern smartphones require little power, though...
>>
Nostalgia goggles of this magnitude are amazing to behold
>>
>>53051580
those who mindlessly suck the dick of something new because it's new are no less autistic than those who do the same thing because it's old

there were a lot of nice things about older winmo and palm devices that were sacrificed in the name of accessibility
>>
>>53051717
in the name of normies, that's what you wanted to say, isn't it?
>>
File: HP-200lx-001.jpg (232 KB, 1000x687) Image search: [Google]
HP-200lx-001.jpg
232 KB, 1000x687
>>53049166

I remember DOS palmtop guys bitching about their platform getting sidelined by PDAfags

>ms-dos supremacy lets see you run matlab/wordperfect/lotus123 on that kiddy wince
>muh 30hr battery life
>palm os queers would piss their little diapers if put in front of COMMAND DOT FUCKING COM
> <3 u HP

ps they weren't wrong
>>
File: swype-ics.jpg (158 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
swype-ics.jpg
158 KB, 600x400
>>53051079
>>53051079
No? It missed the same letter done the same way 5 times.
>>
>>53053098
in a way sure, but cost was also a factor and there were plenty of normalfags using old PDAs and smartphones too

>>53054904
yeah, it sucks when you're starting out, when you get used to it however you don't make mistakes any more often than you do getting fucked by autocorrect on a shitty touch/gesture keyboard
>>
>>53053098
>in the name of normies,
Normies are the ones who actually pay for stuff instead of waiting for it to come off lease and making an offer.
Most geeks aren't early-adopters. Hand-me-down is good enough.
>>
>>53051079
Source on the android version?
>>
No, they weren't. Yes, I had one. They were crappy. They were buggy, slow, broke easily, and rarely did anything you wanted them to.

As I frequently remind people, the good old days weren't so good.
>>
File: T-Mobile_Dash_wiki.jpg (271 KB, 1598x1538) Image search: [Google]
T-Mobile_Dash_wiki.jpg
271 KB, 1598x1538
I miss this fucking phone. WinMo was ahead of it's time.
>>
>>53054779
>palm os queers would piss their little diapers if put in front of COMMAND DOT FUCKING COM
I think this applies pretty much to 90% of users today.
>>
>>53057128
THIS SHIT
THIS SHIT RIGHT HERE FOLKS ^^
holy shit i remember that a samsung phone had that version of windows mobile but i can't put my finger on which model was it!!
my god that thing was revolutionary
>>
>>53049166
>hurr remember when smart devices were good

they were never good
>>
>>53049166
absolutely not. iPhone brought full fledged web browsing to cell phones. These PDAs could browse the web but their functionality was extremely gimped compared to a real computer. Nowadays 95% of things you can do on a PC you can do on a phone, and its because of the big screen multitouch design introduced with the iphone
>>
>>53049166
iPAQ was pretty neat, there was even a Linux ROM for it already avilable 15 years ago:
http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2001/06/01/linux_ipaq.html

>The iPAQs come pre-installed with Microsoft's Windows for Pocket PC, formerly known as Windows CE, or WinCE (rhymes with "prince"). For those who want to run a more familiar operating system, Linux can replace WinCE in the unit's 16 megabytes of flash ROM. While Compaq won't sell a unit without WinCE, they are contributing considerable resources to making Linux work on the machines.

Compaq was for freedom at least. Apple literally murdered innovation.
>>
File: HTC_Apache.jpg (1 MB, 3008x2000) Image search: [Google]
HTC_Apache.jpg
1 MB, 3008x2000
who htc apache here? best phone I ever owned. used to watch top gear avi rips on it. good times.
>>
install gentoo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zceMD5Lll4
>>
>>53057708
fuck you too.
>>
>>53057963
nifty as fuck device, I would still be using it if I had the original stylus
>>
Still have my dad's Sony PDA with ink screen. He used to store a lot of company infos on it. The battery is pretty much dead now. Maybe I'll fix it and be my checklist and calendar :^)
>>
>no Blackberry mention
I see the stigma still lives
>>
>>53054779
What's some cool shit to run on DOS? I have the 200LX, but none of the adapters for modem, ethernet, etc.
>>
>>53058798
shit i've used on a 200lx:
-a bunch of oldass roguelikes
-old serial gps module with lxgps
-pgp fuckery
-APRS with baypac modem
-lynx, irc, telnet, ftp, wget with $10 sohoware ethernet card
-ms word 5, vde editor
-serial terminal to other shit like raspi and *wrt routers
>>
>>53051390
well, it should be possible to install debian on most mobile devices.
>>
>>53059879
I though there is already Debian for ARM.
>>
>>53059956
Yes.
https://wiki.debian.org/Arm64Port
not sure how you would install it but it's probably possible somehow.
>>
>>53051390
Intel has some atoms that rival ARM in power efficiency
Too bad they only go into chink tablets
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.