[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>support for drag and drop >support for diagonal scrol
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 5
File: Wayland.png (24 KB, 500x483) Image search: [Google]
Wayland.png
24 KB, 500x483
>support for drag and drop
>support for diagonal scrolling
>support for asynchronous rendering
http://blogs.s-osg.org/whats-new-wayland-1-10/
>>
>>53022483
can't wait to see what this becomes

i hope this will replace X in the near future
>>
>>53022505
>hardware acceleration is no longer optional
>different compositors will require different screen recording/VNC/etc software
>will most probably depend on lennartware like all other freedesktop projects
The fragmentation this shit will cause will be the death of the loonix desktop.
>>
>>53022644
>different compositors will require different screen recording
That's not true.
>>
Can you copy and paste between windows?
>>
>>53022693
Yes since 1.0.
>>
>>53022660
Except it is, the implementation is entirely up to the compositor developers. The major DEs will need to work together on a new standard and that will never happen (see what they did with desktop notifications and CSD).
>inb4 EWMH
The difference is you don't actually have to follow this just to get some software running properly, see wmutils.
>>
>>53022644
>Death of loonix desktop
At what point was it living?
>>
Wayland, Vulkan and systemd will bring the year of linux desktop
>>
>>53022644
Glad it's the loonix desktop and not linux desktop.
>>
>>53022747
>At what point was it living?

when you accept gnome/gtk into your life and don't ever question the status quo or removal of features with a lack of ability to bring them back without writing your own patches
>>
File: 2000px-X.Org_Logo.svg.png (131 KB, 2000x1601) Image search: [Google]
2000px-X.Org_Logo.svg.png
131 KB, 2000x1601
>>53022483
We do not need this. Long life X.ORG.
>>
File: 1441320924147.jpg (32 KB, 447x456) Image search: [Google]
1441320924147.jpg
32 KB, 447x456
>>53022483
Welp wayland looks nifty as fuck, I think I should upgra-
>freedesktop
HAHAHHAHA fuck off
>>
>>53022853

I've you even tried to understand how Xorg is architectured (including 3D acceleration)?

It's a huge mess.
>>
>>53022756
>Wayland, Vulkan and systemd will bring the year of linux desktop
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as the Linux Desktop, is in fact, the systemd Desktop. Linux is not a desktop unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning systemd environment made useful by the systemd units, services and components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
>>
>>53022931
It works perfectly on 100% of GNU/Lunux desktops. And it's pleasure to configure.

>Cannot figure something out
>Let's rewrite it
>End up with twice as much stuff to learn
>>
>>53022931
>b-but it's old software!!!
It's only complex because it actually does stuff. There is no "let someone else program this useful feature" and "who cares about compatibility with anything that isn't a clone of fedora" mentality.
>>
>>53022877
Please explain. What do you mean by freedesktop?
>>
>no longer supports alt drag a staple of the linux desktop for years now
>>
>>53022994
>X
>Working perfectly
It's like you use your computer for nothing but browsing imageboards
>>
>>53022994
>use cases

What the fuck kind of language is this just say "needs" instead you fucktards
>>
>>53022756
>systemd

Nice meme.
>>
>>53023014
>+5fps for muh games is more important
You should have stayed on Windows. I bet you use steam DRM cancer too.
>>
>>53023014
Everything works for me. Including 3D and Xinerama.

Please explain what you cannot run.
>>
>>53022994
It's difficult to extend, and horribly inefficient. Not only that, but the protocol is poorly designed. The founder of the Wayland protocol has been working on X for decades.

However, Wayland lacks a lot of features that made X really extensible. And the compositor-specific implementations are going to make things like multi-GPU computers difficult.
>>
>>53023056
What exactly do you want to extend it for? Running more than 256 displays on xinerama?
>>
>>53023071
Uh, no, you dunce. Window management, for one, is done in the compositor. The shell? Compositor. Graphical effects? No buffer redirection. Whoopsie! Push to talk in a client application? Nope.

There needs to be a notion of permissions for private APIs, so certain applications can do these things.

But definitely better and simpler than X. Just not what all of us want.
>>
>>53022994
It's a good thing faggots like you never have any sort of power.
Otherwise, the tech world wouldn't had evolved past the wheel.
>>
will wayland improve the shitpile that is xauth?
>>
>>53022741
>Except it is, the implementation is entirely up to the compositor developers.
I hate this so much. I run OS X for my daily driver but I've long wanted to write a toy WM, but at this point X is archaic so writing for it is not only a pain, but feels like a waste. At the same time I definitely don't feel like writing an entire fucking compositor for a silly side-project because that's stupid.
>>
>>53023250
just fork the reference compositor
>>
X is a security disaster. Linux pretty much can't have fine grained access level for desktop applications because of X. Simply every program can fuck around with everyone's windows and/or log keystrokes, etc...

Wayland is the future.
>>
>>53023261
That shouldn't be necessary at all. Why should I even have to think about compositing? Why can't I just throw window rectangles and chrome at a standard compositor API? Why isn't Wayland split up into smaller, specialized mean and lean chunks?
>>
>>53023008
Does it at least have the highlight to copy / middle click to paste?
That shit's cash.
Nothing like having 2 clipboards especially when one can be used without going over to the keyboard.
>>
That's Cool.
I'm patiently waiting for Wacom serial tablet support in libinput and Nvidia support. In the mean time, it's X for me. Good thing X and Compiz just werk.
>>
>>53023278
>fine grained access
Native wayland keyloggers exist and you can always run a weston session on top of X. If you rely on this for security then your are doing something very wrong. Once they are in they can do whatever the fuck they want and "security" measures like this only really catch well-behaved programs making them an annoyance to the user. Also why are you installing malicious programs? What happened to your package manager?
>>
>>53023103
>Window management
is done in window manager
>Composition
is done with compositors
>The shell
What is the shell? You mean terminal emulator?
>Graphical effects
Just take 3d-accelerated compositor like Compiz
>Push to talk in a client application
Key presses are handled with X first, and then passed to clients
>No buffer redirection
This I don't know. What is it?
>permissions
Is it your P-C? Private? Why would you run a garbage like polkit on your own PC?
>>
Fuck you guys, I wrote this whole display server because faggots on /g/ bitch about Xorg all the goddamn time. Guess I can't please everyone. Fuck.
>>
>>53023354
>Native wayland keyloggers
I don't know much about wayland. Are they standard clients to your wayland server (much like your firefox or xterm t X) or do they need some special access permissions to work?

> Also why are you installing malicious programs?

I run some proprietary games under wine. If you want to encapsulate successfully you need different things:
- seccomp and/or linux namespaces to limit access to different stuff
- limit access to other windows, so wine apps can't sniff your sudo password from your terminal emulator

you can't do the second right now. Also it's a good security measure to limit access to applications to the minimum level.
>>
>>53023375
>shell
i think he meant the ability to control-alt-F1
>>
>>53023414
This is called switching TTYs.
>>
>>53023395
>I run some proprietary games under wine.
Well, here's your problem. Don't bash x for your ineptitude.
>>
>>53023414
He meant the graphical shell, which typically is a WM+panel/dock.
>>
>>53023428
That is called Deskop Environment.
>>
>>53023440
Not really. A DE is a collection of programs, which includes a WM, Panel, but also e.g. a text editor.
>>
>>53023457
You are right.
>>
>>53022644
>will most probably depend on lennartware like all other freedesktop projects

This actually got me. Fuck.
>>
>>53023278
>i don't like my freedom
>>
Someone tell me what is the catch
>>
!! Wayland works through rasterization of pixels which brings about two very bad critical problems which will never be solved:

Firstly, forget about performance/bandwidth efficent RDP protocol (it's already implemented but it works by sending updates of large chunks of the screen, i.e. a lot like old highly inefficient VNC), forget about OpenGL pass through, forget about raw compressed video passthrough. In case you're interested all these features work in Microsoft's RDP.

Secondly, forget about proper output rotation/scaling/ratio change.
!! Applications (GUI toolkits) must implement their own fonts antialiasing - there's no API for setting system wide fonts rendering. What??! Most sane and advanced windowing systems work exactly this way - Windows, Android, Mac OS X. In Wayland all clients (read applications) are totally independent.
!! Applications (GUI toolkits) must implement their own DPI scaling.
The above issues are actually the result of not having one unified graphical toolkit/API. Also no one is working towards making existing toolkits share one common configuration for setting fonts antialiasing, DPI scaling and windows shadowing. So at least in theory these issues can be easily solved.

Lonox everyone
>>
Can someone explain why Wayland is good and why Mir is bad?
>>
>>53023870
>software freedom is relevant
shig
>>
We did it, gee!
>>
>>53023250

Nigga, someone wrote an X window manager and it's like 100 LoC.
>>
wayland & vulkan will bring the year of the linux desktop
>>
>>53023930
Wayland is stupid protocol like X11. enjoy your protocol extensions.
Mir is a flexible API where the protocol doesn't matter. You could implement Mir with Wayland.
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.