[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does the release of Vulkan mean for Linux gaming? Could
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 4
File: steamforlinux.png (42 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
steamforlinux.png
42 KB, 300x300
What does the release of Vulkan mean for Linux gaming? Could this be the beginning of the revolution?
>>
>>53017791
Yes
>>
>>53017791
you still need the devs to code their apps to work on the vulkan engine

won't happen
>>
It means the glory days of winshit is over
>>
It means until 2020 we're gonna get the same shit as always

Then at 2025 there's a chance that half of any new releases will work on linux
>>
Vulkan will support Linux/Win7/8.1/Android6.0+
DX12 only supports Win10
So yeah Vulkan is going to be a lot better than DX12 in terms of user base.
>>
>>53017897
>vulkan engine
>>
My expectation is that the first thing we'll see is more improvements in the middleware that companies like Feral and Virtual Programming use to generate their Linux versions because DirectX 11 -> Vulkan will likely produce better results than DirectX 11 -> OpenGL 4.
>>
>>53017904
do people actually fucking believe this shit?
>>
>>53018558
I do
>>
>vaporware
>>
>>53018558
Ask Canonical or Redhat if you can shill them Sanjeet
>>
>>53017897
What? For game engines, Unity, Unreal Engine 4, Source 2 and Oxide Games's Nitrous have all pledged to have working ports to Vulkan. In addition to those, engines that have previously supported Mantle can pretty quickly switch to Vulkan, since it uses mostly the same patterns.
>>
The windows kernel is still better.
>>
>>53019895
It's proprietary, so no.
>>
>>53017791
Yes.
>>
File: 1455575690969.png (88 KB, 550x550) Image search: [Google]
1455575690969.png
88 KB, 550x550
>>53019895
>b8
>>
>>53017791
Definitely.
>>
>>53018558
There's a lot more chance of that happening now than 10 years ago anon. Besides look how far Apple has come in the office/art industry. (Even though it doesn't matter which platform you're on.)
>>
How does the release of Vulkan change the current climate? What will it do differently that OpenGL currently isn't doing in terms of the "industry standard"?
>>
>>53017791

>linux
>gaming
>>
>>53020174
In the personal computing space, sure. In the corporate environment (aka where Windows really makes its money)? Not a fucking chance.

Microsoft probably would not mind losing the home users to Apple and other Unix derivatives, and they've got only minimal inroads into the datacenter world, but the corporate business world they have locked down from now until forever.

If you don't know what I am talking about, name one viable alternative to Active Directory. Go ahead, I'll wait.
>>
>>53017791
it means greatness
>>
I spent 2 hours or so looking over the API docs. It's a complete mess. Better than OpenGL, but still a mess
>>
File: 1398710592467.jpg (266 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1398710592467.jpg
266 KB, 1280x720
>>53020375
Not yet, but soon. A new dawn is just beyond the horizon.
>>
>>53020491
Fair enough, I was mostly talking about the home users more-so than data centre type work (though I was convinced that GNU/Linux dominated that market.)
>>
>>53018558
Windows will still be dominate but it definitely won't have an effective monopoly.
so in other words
>the glory days of winshit are over
>>
>>53017791
yes
>>
>>53017791
yeah because this is the first time there's a cross platform graphics API, clearly an unprecedented time.
>>
>>53019940
It's objectively better in every way. If you knew anything about operating systems you wouldn't have responded with such a childish post.
>>
2016 year of the linux desktop
>>
>>53020294
It means nothing. It'll take a fuckton amount of time until:
a) device drivers get updated (if ever) to support Vulkan
b) APIs migrate from OpenGL to Vulkan
c) Developers actually start using Vulkan.

If anything, it'll present much more of an incentive to use DirectX

Vulkan is definitely superior to OpenGL though.
>>
Khronos who make vulcan seem like a pretty solid consortium of established companies

khronos(dot)org
>>
Linux is pretty shit for gaming and hardware acceleration.

Vulkan should really be a Windows and OSX exclusive, I mean, OSX just gets left in the dust despite being the second popular desktop OS in the world.
>>
>>53022305
Nice meme
>>
>>53020491
Because graphics pipelines totally make a world of difference when it comes to fucking thin clients running Windows XP.
At least stick to the topic at hand.

>>53021818
There's no overlap between LDAP shit and fucking data centres. I've never been in an office where Active Directory isn't woefully underused anyway, because employees never take full advantage of it, and IT uses it to fuck over them for giggles and to fulfill whatever meme standard they need to be in compliance with.
>>
>>53022321
a) There already are device drivers, you mong.
b & c) all big engines have announced and/or shown tech demos running on vulkan. Talos Principle already has a beta patch allowing people to try out Vulkan.

see: https://www.khronos.org/vulkan/
>>
>>53022289
>SCROLL BARS EMBEDDED INSIDE THE KERNEL
>LITERAL CODE OUTSOURCED TO INDIAN POOS IN LOOS
yeah no, i'd rather have basement dwellers and big tech corporations making the kernel
>>
How long will it take for games to be playable using Vulkan? Especially on Linux?
>>
>>53022983
>SCROLL BARS EMBEDDED INSIDE THE KERNEL
Jesus christ that's disgusting.
>>
>>53017791
An open standard that all driver devs will try to implement? Yes. Even Intel, which usually has only older OpenGL support in their driver has already announced their work on bringing Vulkan to Mesa, for Intel GPUs.
>>
File: ol_spicy_keychain.jpg (60 KB, 400x593) Image search: [Google]
ol_spicy_keychain.jpg
60 KB, 400x593
Linuxfags are just like Cubs fans
Every year you hear "maybe next year" until it's 108 years later and nothing has changed
>>
>it's ok when linux does it
>>
And then suddenly Microsoft buys them out and bill gates lights a cigar with a 10,000 dollar bill.
>>
They're all placebo
Opengl is just fine
>>
>>53023051
probably a majority of games released in 2017 will have vulkan support.
doesn't matter if it's only on windows because WINE should run vulkan almost natively.
>>
>>53018090
This.
Now that games are coming to Linux Winbabbys will have no excuse to keep using such a shitty operating system
>>
>>53022402
OSX has battle.net
OSX has GW2
>>
>>53017791
Another wannabee DX api , It's fun thalos is out for windows but linux user can suck cocke for use vulkan api thx open source
>>
>>53017791
Linux is still unusable meme for autists.
>>
To be honest, I was shocked when I saw the benchmarks in the other thread of the hastily tacked-on unoptimized Vulkan patch for whatever game that was. It was twice as good as OpenGL even in that state. Just wow.
>>
Not until hardware manufacturers get their driver shit together

>have switchable intel + amd gpu
>can't get amd gpu to work at all
>install fglrx and shit goes wrong
>vga switcharoo doesn't work

So games run like shit because lolhd4000
>>
All we really need now is for Nvidia to make Wayland drivers and Linux is ready for high end gaming. Gaben will deliver the goods if you get the truck ready (and make sure it has an extra large door so his bulk can fit inside).
>>
Nvidia Grid and other cloud gaming services are going to require good drivers to drive that source of their business

Moving to linux for these servers allows for a heavy reduction in cost for licensing and guys like Nvidia would be able to build their own flavor of linux just for running their grid servers.
Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.