[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Let's say someone asked me to provide Wi-Fi across the entirety
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 3
File: category_wireless_banner.jpg (51 KB, 693x390) Image search: [Google]
category_wireless_banner.jpg
51 KB, 693x390
Let's say someone asked me to provide Wi-Fi across the entirety of a hospital, what would be the cheapest way to do this?

Could I just install a fuckton of routers and bridge them together, as long as the hospitals bandwidth can cover it? Or do I have to cascade them, passing wires everywhere?
>>
>>53016803
>Could I just install a fuckton of routers and bridge them together, as long as the hospitals bandwidth can cover it?
That would be shitty, afaik each bridged/repeated wifi node halfs the speed or something like that
>Or do I have to cascade them, passing wires everywhere?
Yes. And don't use consumer grade access point.
>>
>>53016803
APs should be connected through ethernet to your switches. Switches should be connected through ethernet with your "edge" router, which provides the broadband access.

so like:
as many APs as you need, for example Unifi UAP-AC Lite
as many unmanaged switches as you need, for example some Trendnet TEG-S82g
one router, for example Unifi EdgeRouter Lite
>>
>>53017009
So for example I could install 1 switch per floor, and then cascade each router to the switch of its floor? Do I connect them in serial or parallel? Like Switch - Router - Router - Router

or

Switch - Router
| - - - - - - - - - - - - - Router
| - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -Router
>>
>>53017075
wow
in your case you would be better just getting a professional to do it
>>
Don't forget to set the frequency properly
>>
>>53017117
Im a software engineer, and I've dabbled in IT a a alot but I admit I'm not an expert. However, I've potentially fallen into a huge contract that doesn't seem too complicated to do. Of course if it gets out of hand I'm going to hire the help of professionals (especially for something like routing cables) but if I can do most of it myself I could be making a lot of money. I'm just researching how feasible this is.
>>
>>53017348
anon, you are clearly way out of your depth and will fuck this up. call an i.t. installs company and let them do it properly for you.
>>
Mount like, two Pico stations inside.

They're fucking strong. I installed one in a church chapel and got 3 bars down the block at a red light
>>
holy shit, if you actually work for a hospital you should be shot
>>
>>53017471
I don't work for a hospital,I'm just doing some research because I know the hospital where on of my friends works consulted an It company and they told them that it would cost 600 000$ to install wifi in the hospital. I think that 600 000 is insanely expensive, so I'm just trying to get an idea of how much it will cost

>>53017402
I'm not going to be doing this alone don't worry, like I said I'm just doing some free research for a friend.
>>
>>53017594
While $600.000 sounds ridiculous, I think with it comes some warranties and certifications that the system is supersecure (there are some higher IT requirements and standards for hospitals) and a support contract for 5 years or something.Just a guess.
>>
>>53017594
600k doesn't seem excessive, also depends how big the hospital is.
If you want to have WiFi literaly EVERYWHERE (why would you want that anyway in the first place?) You need get a lot of APs.
You need to do some testing, measurements to ensure proper coverage. Then there are installation costs. Hardware costs, set-up costs. Plus company doing this would like to earn at least a few bucks for this gig.
>>
>>53017594
No it's really not depending on the size of the hospital

It's also far more difficult then you realize.
>>
>>53016803
Don't bother, OP. If you have to ask this question on /g/ of all places, you are in way too deep and WILL royally fuck this, and your job up.

Hire someone who knows what they're doing.
>>
>>53017728
Also wireless interference is a big thing
>>
>>53017348
>>53017594
>>53016803
My family owns a very large business that does this for a living... based off your responses you are trying to outbid someone for such a job while not having any experience whatsoever in network design. You need to get your certs before you go telling your boss that you can install this shit cheaper, because if something isn't just right when it's all said and done, you will be personally liable. just my .02
>>
OP, once you're done fucking this up, please greentext the shitstorm that ensues.
>>
>>53016803
>someone asked me to provide Wi-Fi across the entirety of a hospital
>hospital
>cheapest way
>fuckton of routers
>cascade them
>>53017009
>Trendnet TEG-S82g
Oh i see, this hospital is in Uagdnda. No problem this way yu'll kill your bretheren faster at least.
>>
This has to be b8.
>>
>>53017728
>600k doesn't seem excessive, also depends how big the hospital is.

Not that big, also doesn't need to be complete coverage, hell it barely even needs to be secure. This is just so that 50-70 employees can send each other emails because the cellphone coverage doesn't come through the hospital.

>Then there are installation costs. Hardware costs, set-up costs

4 floors. I would say 150 square feet lets each floor. Lets say worst case, what, 12 AP per floor, that makes 48 AP. Lets say each AP costs 200$. thats 9000$. Not that expensive. lets say wires and etc. 1000$.
>>
>>53017784
>>53017786

I have a feeling you guys think I'm just going to waltz in there a be like "ok, lets just put a couple of T-Links on each floor and hope for the best". I just feel like 600 000 is waaay too much. I'm not trying to outbid anyone, hell I'll probably send this contract over to a company that I know and charge a "finders fee" of sorts.
>>
>>53017855
>Not that big
Answering this instead of how many floors, what size in square meters it is etc, just highlights how unfit for this job you are...
At least later in yoru post you stated the size.
>>53017855
>it barely even needs to be secure
>employees
Yea...

Let's play your game.
>>53017855
>thats 9000$. Not that expensive. lets say wires and etc. 1000$.
Are they gonna lay on the floor?
What about switches, router, setup. You even lack basic skills of a bussinesman/manager.
>>
>>53017898
dude thats not how it works, you open it up to bids and let licensed installers bid on how cheap they can do it, you choose the best price per value out of your options from there. Shouldn't this be up to a board of directors? Keep in mind that just a cat6 drop can easilly be $200 per drop, plus the cost of racks, switches, all the wifi adapters, wall plates, biscuts, jacks, and the wire is a couple hundred per 1000ft. think about just how much wire that is. This is an enterprise level application, that should be future proofed and secure since it will be handling medical records. HIPPA lawsuits will fuck you up. for fucks sake are you gonna string it along the wall? through the ceiling? do you even know what the building codes mandate in your area?
>>
>>53017898
I feel you don't even have the balls to do that and you'll be fooling around with your consumer-tier router for a month before finding out that you can't protect users from each other because it lacks layer-2-isolation.

I have not had any official networking education except the first 8 chapters of ccna, but i understand the concepts of large networks, ip addressing, roaming, layers, authentication, security, and radius servers.
I would accept the gig and do it right when i have the time.
>>
Like, do you just want internet access because that would be incredibly easy to do with cheap TP-LINK routers.
>>
why are people actually responding to this? OP obviously has no fucking clue what he is talking about and is obviously in no position to even make decisions.

anyone with a brain would simply hire out a company that actually specializes in this and have them do a wireless audit and tell you where to place the APs and what would work.
>>
Ok. for the last time. I will not be installing this. I will not be working there, because I do not work there. I am not making any official decisions. Hell, they might just tell me to fuck off and go with their original plan. I just wanted your opinions on how someone would go about doing this, not in order to do it myself, but just so I have a general idea of where costs will be going in a project like this.
>>
>>53018020
Then you should have phrased your question in much different, better way in OP...
>>
>>53018020
You can do this if you only want internet to work.
http://www.tp-link.com/en/faq-417.html

You can replace the LAN cable with an external powered antenna if you don't want to run wires but it needs its own power source.
>>
All you guys are silly!.
Think for a moment, there's no need for cabling, it's already there. use powerline ethernet.
>>
>whatisHIPAAandPHI
>>
>>53016803

I don't have any idea if this can work... But powerline ethernet?
>>
>>53018323
>>53018371
>be me
>i saw local hospital has powerline adapters
>bring powerline adapter with me
>"xcuse me, can i charge my laptop while i wait?"
>plug in powerline, hook it up to my laptop which is configured to not send any packets, only receive.
>wireshark.exe
>cleartext medical files start rolling in
>sold them to my wife's son
>>
>>53018449
You forgot
>became ghandi
>>
Just put one ubiquity AP in the middle of the hospital and a reciever on each end of the building.

The range is good for up to 5 miles. I install them often for work and theyt ravel multiple city blocks or thru large lumber yards (ip security)
>>
>>53018449
>My wife's son
>>
>>53018449

>what in encryption?

In order to connect your adapter you have to reset the other ones. All of them.
>>
OP probably couldn't figure out how to do this at this house, let alone for an entire fucking hospital and the laws that need to be followed there

Just stop trying to be a fucking smartass OP, go back to diving under desks.
>>
>>53018449
>>53018449
>my wife's son

literally cuck'd
>>
Since this is /adviceOnGigsYou'reUnderqualifiedForGeneral/, i have a few questions.

A local public transit provider has cringe-worthy wifi, i spend more than 2 hours a day in the train so it's very bothering.
They have two sub-consumer-tier routers that both run of a 3G dongle, they run a plain 192.168.1.0/24 network with no layer 2 isolation and a dhcp lease time set to default.

It rarely works.
It either has a malfunction dhcp server, malfunctioning dns server, no connection to wan (why reconnect?), config back to default (default pw unknown), or no network at all.
mtbf is way less than a day.

I think about making a complaint, how do i go about being the person that's going to fix it?
I think about offering that if it's too much trouble to find someone i want to do it.
Should i litter the complaint with technical details, and with or without explanation?
>>
>>53018621
setting that up is beyond OP's reach, and if i reset the others it will go unnoticed anyway.
>>
Wireless survey to determine number of APs to provide good wireless coverage.
AP controller to manage them.

Source: I'm sysadmin over a 300 bed hospital. No, I didn't do any of it - we have our division network engineers for that.
>>
>>53018683(me)
I'm not really unqualified, but i don't have the certs.
6 months of networking class and lots of experience configuring people's routers and networking.
I even got to play around with enterprise-grade hardware sometimes.
I think i can pull it off, but idk if i can get them to ask me to do it.
>>
File: 1400794533000_1049766.jpg (16 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1400794533000_1049766.jpg
16 KB, 500x500
First: Stop calling them routers. They aren't. Access points are entirely different.

Second: Ubqiuti makes the best hardware at the lowest price in the market. Get their UniFi APs, and a Power over Ethernet network switch (with enough ports and power for all your access points). Ubqiuti also sells those.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=1049766
>>
>>53018836
Nice router
>>
File: 1450590504878.jpg (35 KB, 594x383) Image search: [Google]
1450590504878.jpg
35 KB, 594x383
>>53017999
Given that this is a hospital we're talking about, we're all trying to convince OP to let someone else do the job before he, in his bumbling incompetence, gets someone hurt or killed.
>>53018816
No, you are clearly and thoroughly unqualified for this job, and if I knew your and the hospital's name, I'd call them and advise them not to accept your bid.

I don't get why you seem to think this is a game, because it'd be a damn dangerous one if it were.
>>
>>53018983

I'm OP, that wasn't me there >>53018816

I'm not installing anything in no hospital fuck man read the thread its not going that fast >>53018020

There is no bidding. There wont be a submission. This is just someone trying to find information online.
>>
>>53018983
Read my fucking posts:
>>53018683
>>53018816
It's not a huge concrete building but 100m< long plastic trains, max speed is 120km/h.
This would be far easier.
>>
>>53016803
>cascade them
OP is an A+ graduate.
>>
>>53016803
not doing your Networking 101 homework for you, faglord
>>
>>53019101
pretty much this. . .

if any one asked me to install an unsecured network, let alone one in a hospital i'd just leave, unless it was a public wifi AP for customers and separate from the employee network(which should be wired anyways)

designing and and installing this kind of network shouldn't cost $600000, unless that includes trouble shooting and a future maintenance contract, if they don't have someone on staff to fix network problems

a 5 year service and maintenance contract plus design and install for $600000 isn't too bad for a network that size if you include running all the cables to each terminal and setting up public and private wifi networks
>>
OP, you'll never get the contract. Never.
>>
>>53019048
you call a local fucking company that does wireless audits and installs.

end of story
>>
>>53017855
>150 square feet
>a 4 story hospital
>12' x 12' floor space

is this a hospital or vet's office? i have more square footage in my house.
>>
Why do they need wifi? All the hospitals I've visited have ethernet jacks and consoles in every room.
>>
>>53016803
A few big ass switches, an ass load of access points, and miles of Ethernet cable.
>>
Network Engineer here. If you don't know what you're doing, Ubiquiti's UniFi line is probably your best bet. Simple to deploy/manage and relatively inexpensive.

That being said, you're out of your league here and Ubiquiti doesn't do "support" nor are they a brand I would want IoT medical devices connected to.

You're best off passing on this job as the liability is too great. Maybe you can solicit a third party to do the job and then take a kick back?
>>
>>53020295
I was thinking something along the lines of this. They wouldn't be using this network for any official work, everything hospital related goes through the wired connection. The wifi is just so that between staff members they can send emails from time to time. Of course no medical equipment will be going through this.
>>
>>53016803
subcontract
>>
>>53020510
So you would have a second ISP connection to a router to a switch to a bunch of wireless APs so the employees can look at email?

Their email isn't hosted through exchange? I guess they could access it through owa

Not having a separate connection and adding a switch to the edge router could put you in a bad security spot since you could still access the entire network regardless if the APs are just for employee emails.
Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.