[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do normies hate encryption /g/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 119
Thread images: 9
File: normiefriends.jpg (187 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
normiefriends.jpg
187 KB, 1080x1920
Why do normies hate encryption /g/?
>>
Because they have to change from what they're used to.

And also because the jews tell them encryption is bad.
>>
>>53009775
Because they have nothing to hide.
>>
They clearly don't care, yet some autist "friends" can't shut the fuck up about it.

Know your audience.
>>
>>53009775
Is he your boyfriend?
>>
File: images-20.jpg (21 KB, 470x313) Image search: [Google]
images-20.jpg
21 KB, 470x313
Because it makes no difference to them, imagine someone insisting you should buy a Prius because of a bullshit reason when you already have a car, that's you

Also you should buy an N9 you fucking idiot if you really care about privacy, why do you suffer with android?
>>
Too much of a hassle
>>
>autist doesn't hide his power level
>>
Probably because going out of your way for privacy makes you look creepy.
>>
Because they're not autistic like yourself
>>
Because most of them aren't pedophiles and have nothing to hide.
>>
>>53009775
I made my normie gf switch to Telegram because I told her that WhatsApp saves on their servers all the nudes she sends me.
You gotta give them a good reason to switch, otherwise it's just added hassle for them.
>>
>>53009775
>using private channels to send non-sensitive info
There are is such a concept as "overkill". Both of them refer to the critical point of "benefit/effort" ratio, after which you require exponentially increasing effort for a linear increase in benefit.
tl;dr diminishing benefit returns
>>
>>53010581
>gf
>my
>>
>>53010728
>imblying I'm not 6'4", /fit/ and /fa/
You do know that you can limit the sperging to this site and pretend to be functional IRL, don't you anon?
>>
File: 1399255305461.png (42 KB, 184x184) Image search: [Google]
1399255305461.png
42 KB, 184x184
>>53009775
>>53010581
>Openly having friends
>Has a girlfriend

>"lol everyone are such normies except me im so nerdy haha"

Normalfags calling other Normalfags normies. Hilarious.
>>
>>53010835
>posting from a phone
>greentexting and quoting at the same time
You are either projecting hard or a complete newfag who just got on the fun train.
In either case, you can fuck away off.
>>
>>53010835
Normie spotted
>>
>>53010799
You don't belong here if you have a gf. Even /fit/ prefers 2D over 3D
>>
>>53009775
Hack them, take their Money and say it's gone because he don't encrypt his phone. Problem solved. Guys like this are easy to hack, just use a man in the middle attack by exploiting the "auto login" feature of his phone that he likely has.
>>
>>53010581
Telegram will probably directly send the nudes to totalitarian governments. It's less secure and less private than Twitter and facebook.
>>
>>53010984
By what definition?

>>53010925
Damage control?
>>
>>53010835
Having friends isn't normalfag automatically, but having a gf is instant normalfag.
>>
>>53009775
why wouldn't Kim Jong Un want to use encrypted texting?
>>
>>53010835
>indian cartoons
>talking about normal people

lol
>>
>>53009775
What will you chat about that it needs to be encrypted?

Also, "Kim" is right, it's not texting.
>>
>>53009775
My boss thinks he's all that when it comes to tech stuff. He touts his bachelors degree in Networking and his certificates for shit. I consistently prove his ass wrong. He made a challenge for me to hack into his desktop saying it wasn't possible. All I had to do was take out his hard drive, put it in my computer, mount it, and I had access to all of his files. I told him he could easily stop that with encryption and he said it was useless because no one would think to do that.

It's not even normies that hate encryption.
>>
>>53009775
>2016
>SMS
>normal
top kek

>meanwhile non-poorfags normies
>have an iphone
>use iMessage
>encrypted since ages ago
>>
>>53009775
>anyways
End yourself, you fucking cunt.
>>
>>53011586
he's right tho. disk/file encryption only gives you locked & unusable, that's a pretty useless state.

i could just get physical access while it's unlocked & usable.
>>
I'm autistic and I like encryption. Why? I hate government spying.
>>
Because they don't know what encryption really means and their pretentious "tech literate" friend don't know enough to explain. So they both resort to crude name calling.
>>
>>53011711
I don't even know where to begin with how shit that argument is.

By your logic locks on doors and windows are also useless and so are safes.
>>
>>53011314
>even /fit/ prefer we over 3D.
No they don't. They don't like girls at all. Even waifu's are gains goblins.

/fit/, /fa/, and /g/ here. Stop shitting up our image
>>
>>53011935
>/fit/, /fa/, and /g/ here

Wow...
>>
>>53011935
So basically you're a F.A.G
>>
>>53010799
>6'4"
fucking manlet

am I doing it right?
>>
>>53010374
Only that analogy is absolutely wrong because OP isn't asking them to spend money.
>>
>>53012060
This guy gets it.
>>
>>53011806
>By your logic locks on doors and windows are also useless
yes, it's all security theater. any kid can smash a window and gain access. at least your insurance might pay up.

you are pretty delusional if you think you can protect yourself against someone that has physical access to your computer. evil maid attacks are real.

that disk encryption doesn't protect against more common attack vectors like trojans at all should be obvious, too.
>>
>>53010581
And you made her switch to Telegram?

I've got very bad news for you, and your gf's nudes.

You should have picked Signal.
>>
>>53014711
Gonna give some sauce there f4m or are we just showing off our cold war mindsets?
>>
>>53014761
>However, in a blog post published Wednesday, the operational security expert known as “the Grugq” laid out several problems with the chat app that might hinder a terrorist from using it to communicate securely or anonymously.
>“Telegram is error prone, has wonky homebrew encryption, leaks voluminous metadata, steals the address book, and is now known as a terrorist hangout. I couldn’t possibly think of a worse combination for a safe messenger,” he wrote.
https://medium.com/@thegrugq/operational-telegram-cbbaadb9013a#.3gpyeq2y0

it's funny when redditors pretend to be "safer" than "normies" when they're using shit that's even less secure than what normies are using.

use signal, end of
>>
>>53009775
Did you ever consider explaining why you use that program instead of just "muh encryption"? Scare tactics are easy, especially if there is any chance of nudes

>you don't want other people seeing our messages, do you?
>>
>>53014806
So the nudes are on my phone at the end of the day, and metadata leaks is still way better than cleartext communication.
Also, you have little chances of fighting govt surveillance anyway, any encryption that blocks kids with wireshark is good enough for me.
>>
>>53014938
>I care about encryption enough to use telegram
>but its not actually all that safe
>lol who cares fagit
There's zero difference from you and the person OP is making fun of to be quite honest familia.
>>
>>53014973
I care about encryption enough to prevent some fat neckbeard on the university's WiFi or creepy data analyst to fap to my gf's nudes, idgaf about >muh government is watching us. Also because I don't live in the land of the free, so fuck the NSA
>>
>>53009775
They don't hate encryption, they hate you.
>>
>>53011586
>has access to physical hardware
>durr you're not secure
Look, I'm not saying encryption is not valuable, because it is. Especially against theft. But in any case where you have access to the physical hardware, it's all over if the attacker is even a little bit worth his shit.
>>
>>53010021
>Because they have nothing to hide.
Everyone has something to hide, regardless of if they realize it or not. Of course you're just laying down bait, but just in case anyone is too stupid to believe that garbage argument.
>>
>>53012099
that's the spirit
>>
>>53010585
This post was overkill
>>
>>53009775
>signal
>litterally the most easy way to go full encryption
>they still won't
Why live?

Try to tell them that you can't pay for sms and that they should switch to this internet-based chat.
If they tell you "lel let's use whatsapp instead", it's over though…
>>
>>53015226
If someone steals an encrypted drive without the password, the data is safe.
>>
>>53015040
You do not care about encryption. It is okay, my fellow Reddit friend, neither do I!
>>
I use iMessage since its encrypted.

What's the messages my app the former VK ceo made? Best encrypted messenger? (Don't like internet friends to have my number)
>>
>>53015734
>Best encrypted messenger?
Right now Signal.
Centralized and use your phone number, though.
Also require google play on android to work. (libresignal, a fork can be a solution for this.)

But yet the better working encrypted messenger. Easy to use, Snowden-approved and stuff.
>>
>>53015870
Is there no option to use a username? Is telegram just a meme
>>
>>53011444
>implying
How am I here then?

I put in my work as a kissless friendless autist for 20 years before finally getting one
>>
>>53015905
No, it's phone only.

Telegram isn't recommended because it's made by a for-profit company with no sustainable business model. One day they will need money and the easiest way to make money when you didn't plan to make any is to spy on you.

Signal is made by a sustainable non-profit.
>>
>>53015870
>But yet the better working encrypted messenger.
whatsapp works better and uses the same encryption scheme as Signal:
https://whispersystems.org/blog/whatsapp/

tho another problem with their scheme is that all your contacts belong to them:
https://whispersystems.org/blog/contact-discovery/
>>
>>53015999
>whatsapp uses the same encryption scheme as Signal
Nice meme. Keep listening to facebook's story tellers.
>>
>>53009775
Because a lot of people are ignorant, and a lot of people don't realize the ramifications that privacy invasions of corporations, governments, and random 3rd parties have on your life.

Credit card theft is rampant, people post their kids' photos online on facebook and twitter, and let social media post their GPS coordinates every 5 minutes automatically. And they wonder why 'the bad people' can find them and kidnap white kids from nice neighborhoods.

<sarcasm>But no one thinks information security is the issue. We clearly need more surveillance and regulations. Those laws will stop those criminals!</sarcasm>
>>
>>53010835
>he doesn't have a gf
>>
>>53016039
>too stupid to capture his own traffic
>doesn't trust whisper system word about whatsapp
>trusts whisper systems word about signal
>>
>>53016040
It's all going to fall apart eventually and probably soon. Sit back and watch the show my friend
>>
>>53016040
Even if they realized, they wouldn't give a flying fuck about it because it's *that* much more important to consume than to fight for any cause.
>tfw we'll be living the cyberpunk life as underground cyber guerrilla fighters soon
>>
>>53016106
>whatsapp is closed source
>signal is open source
>whatsapp can change or alter encryption at its discretion at any point
>any change to signal is transparent to user
>>
>>53016106
Listen. I don't even fucking want to read this page.

Facebook's only income comes from data and from spying. That's how they make money and that's the only way they have to make money.
And they need that money to keep the company alive.

They cannot provide end-to-end encryption because that would mean that they can't spy on you and thus that they can't make money. That would mean the end of Facebook.

The only thing Facebook can do is to PRETEND to be secure so that you feel safe and use their products.

Follow the fucking money. Facebook CAN'T be private and secure that would make them go bankrupt.

I don't fucking care what this webpage says it's only lies and misdirection. "Story teller" is an actual job title for companies like google and Facebook. If something is from Facebook it's not end-to-end encrypted. Period.
>>
>>53016222
you can't reproducible build signal. so you have no idea if the source code matches. therefore your whole argument about open vs closed is stupid.

otoh you have the signal dev confirming that whatsapp uses their code. if you trust him you can use signal or whatsapp, if you don't you can use neither.
>>
>>53015317
So why are they not on F-droid, open source only google Jew market wth ?
>>
>>53016292
>you can't reproducible build signal
Git guarantees developer and I have the same source code.

> if you trust him
I only trust the code.
>>
File: 1424995033213.png (348 KB, 546x700) Image search: [Google]
1424995033213.png
348 KB, 546x700
>>53010006
>the jews tell them encryption is bad

oh, for sure. it's definitely the jews who are fighting against encryption, not for it:

- https://www.fsf.org/blogs/community/encryption-probably-better-than-a-box-of-chocolates (zak kauffman-rogoff)

- https://www.rt.com/shows/sophieco/snowden-leak-privacy-surveillance-093/ (richard stallman)

- https://www.eff.org/about/advisoryboard (bucholz, froomkin, gratz, schneier, simons, zuckerman)

- https://www.eff.org/about/board (farber, samuelson, schneier, zittrain, shari steele)

- https://www.eff.org/about/staff (bokman, burke, cardozo, cohn, galperin, reitman, schoen, schwartz, sobel, stoltz, rumold, swartz, weinstein, daniel nazer, dave maas, david greene)

- https://www.eff.org/about/special-counsel (doctorow, eisenberg, hofman, shoemaker)

- https://www.eff.org/about/interns (moskowitz)

oh yeah, bro! totally the jews.

p.s. if sarcasm is above your head, these are all people fighting for your right to encryption and privacy, and i probably even missed a few more jews. all of these people can be confirmed as jews via wikipedia and/or surname history.
>>
>>53016319
f-droid is shady is fuck.
>F-Droid is operated by F-Droid Limited, a non-profit organisation registered in England (no. 8420676).
that's all they tell you about them, not even an address.
meanwhile everything is signed with their keys

>>53016362
how about you read:
https://archive.fosdem.org/2015/schedule/event/stretching_out_for_trustworthy_reproducible_builds/attachments/paper/668/export/events/attachments/stretching_out_for_trustworthy_reproducible_builds/paper/668/2015_01_31_FOSDEM15.pdf
>>
>>53016319
There is nothing that legally prevent anyone to put it on F-droid. Actually it was put there at first and then pulled back. Is just whispersystems being faggots.

But that's not the most important which is:
It's open-source
It fucking work
It's easy for normies to use
You can find libresignal that doesn't require jewgle play and you can get it outside of the play store if you are technical enough.
>>
>>53009775
I use (almost exclusively) CryptoCat, for everything that isn't super super secret! Unfortunately, for NO good reason whatsoEVER- I've never looked into the source code or anything anything ANYTHING!
I like using it!
It FEELS safe! (Which means NOTHING!)
It's got cats on it!
Splingle splangle pippip shnoolar!!!

ONE LOVE!

PEACE!
>>
>>53016446
>There is nothing that legally prevent anyone to put it on F-droid.
ever heard of trademarks?
>>
>>53016438
>if your computer has malware while building and a bunch of other pebkas
vs
>trusting words of developers and facebook
Choice is clear.
>>
>>53016446
Thanks anon I'll try libresignal
>>
>>53016520
It's GPL. They actually can put it there. They just aren't assholes. If whispersystems don't want to, they don't.

Libresignal doesn't infringed trademarks and it's still not on f-droid, but on another f-droid-compatible repository.
>>
>>53016438
It's trivial to prove that the app you download from f-droid is exactly the same as the app you download off the official upstream source. Is there any proof that the f-droid app distribution has been tampered in any way?
>>
>>53016546
are you still too retarded to understand that you have no fucking idea how that signal binary you get from the play/app store is build?

>>53016573
you have no fucking idea about trademark laws. gpl doesn't affect that at all. let's try to distribute RHEL and see what Red Hat will do.
>>
>>53016617
>are you still too retarded to understand that you have no fucking idea how that signal binary you get from the play/app store is build?
Build it yourself and sideload it, you dumbfuck.
>>
>>53016617
>what is libresignal.
They still won't.
>>
>>53016617
It's okay to make verbatim copies of software. If you start modifying it in any way, that's when you start running into trademark problems. Distributing verbatim copies in aggregate with other software does not run into this problem.
>>
>>53010021
You are Stalin's dream.
>>
>>53016653
how's that helpful when everyone else uses the fucked up binary from the play/app store?
>>
>>53016721
Have paranoid friends that also build themselves.
>>
>>53016673
that's just not true. again see rhel.
>>
>>53016748
Red Hat has no problem with me distributing copies of verbatim RHEL under the terms of the GPL.
>>
File: alpha phone conversation.jpg (59 KB, 599x901) Image search: [Google]
alpha phone conversation.jpg
59 KB, 599x901
>>
>sacrificing the convenience of SMS which works anywhere even without internet connection over some hipster garbage app
>>
>>53016826
that's so monkey?
>>
>>53016763
hey sure do have a problem:
>Unless expressly stated in an Order Form, no right or license, express or implied, is granted in this Agreement for the use of any Red Hat, Red Hat Affiliate, Client or third party trade names, service marks or trademarks, including, without limitation, the distribution of the Software utilizing any Red Hat or Red Hat Affiliate trademarks.
http://www.redhat.com/en/about/licenses-us
>>
>>53016871
she's calling him a sandnigger
>>
>>53010835
This isn't /r9k/, in was under the impression that being a healthy and productive member of society was a good thing on /g/...
>>
File: fuku.png (456 KB, 1283x722) Image search: [Google]
fuku.png
456 KB, 1283x722
Normies holy shit I mean seriously dude
Everyone at my school keeps buying different color cases for their iPhones and some fucking retarded shit to go onto their iPhone cases
Can we not just use fucking REALISTIC iPhone cases holy shit
I don't actually know anything about encryption though
>>
>>53009775
cringed a little.
>>
>>53018736
>>>/reddit/
>>
>>53018775
>>>>/reddit/
>/reddit/
not even a real broad t.b.h. (to be honest)
but ill give u this reddick tho hhAHhHAhaHha
/g/o back to
>>>/b/
>>
>>53011935
>/fa/
Isn't that the board where scrawny hipsters ogle black people shoes and hipster clothing thinking it is fashionable? How can /fit/ and /fa/ co-exist?
>>
File: landofthefree.png (132 KB, 2011x1009) Image search: [Google]
landofthefree.png
132 KB, 2011x1009
>>53015040
>I don't live in America
>so fuck the NSA

Being an American citizen in the USA and communicating with another American citizen who is also in the USA is about the only legal protection anyone has from the NSA, literally everyone else is legally fair game to those hoover cunts.

Even americans in america communicating with americans who MIGHT be outside america aren't safe. Foreigners like us are definitely not safe.

Of course, thanks to the five eyes, GCHQ monitors American citizens in America communicating with other Americans in America, and complies with any American request for information immediately and in full with no questions asked.

OH LAND OF THE FREE
OH DE-MOC-RA-CY
GOD SAVE OUR GRACIOUS QUEEN
LONG LIVE OUR NOBLE QUEEN
WALTZING MATILDA
OH CAAA-NAAA-DAAAA!!!
>>
Probably because most of the time doing encryption is a giant pain in the ass for everyday things.

Not saying its not important for important things but most things, who cares if you have nothing to hide.

Another way to say this is convenience
>>
>>53017618
/r9k/ is a cesspool.

I'm aware that being a "functional member of society" is seen a good thing thing or whatever, it's just ridiculous how delusional normalfags are when trying to designate themselves as someone 'different' from other normalfags. Encrypting files on your tracking device and/or following /g/'s latest trends doesn't make you any less of a normalfag if you have zero problems making friends or getting a girlfriend.

The term "normie" has been butchered to death over the years. It practically means "someone with different ideas from me".
>>
>>53018997
A normie is someone who is socially well adjusted/stable, not just non-autistic. Having a GF or friends is not always an indicator of being socially well adjusted.

For example someone may get "friends" or a "girlfriend" simply for being born wealthy even if they have zero social skills, or someone who is completely fucked might make "friends" or a "girlfriend" via manipulation so they can use them for things they want.
>>
>>53015040
the NSA isn't exclusively about surveillance within the united states, you surely can't be THAT retarded if you're on /g/
>>
>>53019147
This usually isn't the case, however. That may make sense in those very, very rare situations but generally it is just special snowflake normies trying to differentiate themselves from others.
>>
>>53017618
>>productive member of society
>normies
>productive

please faggot.
>>
>>53019204
Well, to be fair, a fair chunk of the world's data goes through the US and the NSA has a peek at it as it passes.

The Australian government has made ample use of this legal loophole to spy on some of its own dudes in the past, when required.
>>
>>53018906

Funny thing about that is how true it is. Anytime american media/people talk about "russia/china spying on us" there is never the mention that the USA is spying on everyone else, such a fucking double standard it isn't even funny.
>>
>>53016387
Jidf pls go. <]:^)

You know exactly what he meant, yet you choose to take the new part literally, and not as a metaphor for greedy, controlling behavior.
>>
General laziness with technology and because normies think computers are magic artifacts that will rape them if they fuck up the arcane rituals that power them
>>
>>53009775
They don't hate it, because they don't even know what it is.
>>
File: Ad30TvK.gif (4 MB, 467x263) Image search: [Google]
Ad30TvK.gif
4 MB, 467x263
>>53009775
Fuck YOU? No no no no, fuck ME!
>>
>>53016387
are you fucking kidding me?
>JEWS fighting FOR encryption

You might wanna recheck whose working for the bills in several european countries and the US that would essentially ban encryption. Whose behind those? HMMMMMMMM? I SURE WONDER.

>>53021406
they know what it is cuz da gubmint sez encryptin is bad n scary cuz pedophilesuse it

>>53019296
says the man who doesnt even have a job, probably never HAS had a job even

>>53018906
pmt desu desu sugoi sempai
>>
>>53021484
Shut the fuk up and go bak to mashing, ur dick with ur fukin sweaty pubes' stikin to your chest because your a fat overweight sack of shit. I bet you're mom is disappoint
fuck you
fuck you
really
fuck you
>>
im a normie
whats the point of encryption anyways
>>
>>53021524
What crawled up your ass gaylord fawkinson?

>>53016826
autistic normies . exe
>>
File: 1454817837005.jpg (17 KB, 329x377) Image search: [Google]
1454817837005.jpg
17 KB, 329x377
>>53021543
nothing
but for you, its that apple phone you keep calling with that apple phone thats vibrating its way slowly up you're ass cavity while YOU ARE LITTLE NUTS R QUAKIN
faggot
Thread replies: 119
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.