[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Planned obsolescence in iPhones
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 7
File: Screenshot_2016-02-14-21-02-32.png (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-02-14-21-02-32.png
1 MB, 1920x1080
https://youtu.be/VYQgn8J6zbU
iToddlers will defend this
>>
>>52983278
>being a poorfag and not able to upgrade your phone yearly
fuck off eurocuck
>>
>>52983278
There is obviously some form of slower interacting, yes. The general design of iOS 9 is slower, the animations are slower, menus slide in slower, etc.
Some apps take slower to load and perform tasks since the app has more features or has to do more, since it's a later version and has a ton of extra things added. Even with that said, there is a small difference in performance as the geekbench test showed.
>>
>>52983506
It's you fucking amerifags who can't afford to upgrade yearly.

Imagine paying for your handset and still paying your shitty cell network a high monthly amount. Oh wait, wouldn't know because don't live in the shithole of US.
>>
>>52983561
op
rekt
>>
>>52983278
iOS 9 murdered my iPhone 4S. Good thing there is an unofficial downgrade available.

Went out and bought a 6s anyway.
>>
>>52983570
stay mad eurofag
>>
My friend installed an iTunes update and it told him he has to upgrade his phone in order to use it. He wants to roll back but does not know how.
>>
>>52983646
Shoulda made backups
>>
File: infinity-blade-iphone-4s.jpg (43 KB, 600x311) Image search: [Google]
infinity-blade-iphone-4s.jpg
43 KB, 600x311
>>52983588
Just recently obtained a 4S for $10 because the back was smashed ($4 fix). It's really not that fucking bad, but then again, it is a fresh install. Browsing heavy sites is slower than a 6S, but it's not too different with light sites like 4chan and dedicated apps still work decently fast.
>>
>>52983708
not him, but the 4s aged really badly, especially when updating the os. mine just randomly crashed and got super hot at times, the reboot time was over 30 minutes.
>>
>>52983759
Jesus, mine is running the latest 9.2.1 and it only takes 1 second longer than my 6s+ to load /g/.
No crashes, only got hot when it was downloading my 20 apps when I first got it. I guess a fresh OS install really does help the 4S.
>>
Lol, now show me an android phone from 2011 that runs updated apps from 2016 well. Kill yourself nigger, its not planned obsolesce. Do you want people to make good and feature rich apps or do you want them to purposely build shit apps just so that some poorfags can run in it in their 5 year old phones? fucking retarded.
>>
>>52983880
Normies don't get this.
>>
>>52983859
iOS 9 killed my battery life. I would recommend you downgrading that and you will definitely see the difference.
>>
File: Infinity-Blade-2-1.jpg (102 KB, 650x348) Image search: [Google]
Infinity-Blade-2-1.jpg
102 KB, 650x348
>>52983880
Galaxy Note 1 running CM. But then again the golden age of custom roms for phones are long over.
Also apps haven't got that much heavier, it's definitely iOS becoming really pigfat, it's funny seeing Infinity Blade 2 run at a better framerate on the 4S than the OS UI itself.

>>52983943
Eh, not worth it, it still gets 4 days battery life serving as a business phone, 30 min - 1 hour calls per day. Main phone is the 6s+.
>>
how new to capitalism are you friend?

only way to keep this charade going, and the masses from revolting
>>
>>52983278
Still better than lagdroids
>>
>>52983278
Why do iPhones look like toys for adult kids?

Those primary colours on a white backdrop, the rounded edges icons, the jumpy-elastic animations. It's like a phone made by Disney for kids.

So retarded.
>>
>>52984203
Material is a lot worse.
Windows Phone has the most mature looking UI, and it still runs perfectly smooth on phones slower than a Galaxy S2. (eg. Lumia 535)
>>
>>52983278
>everything feels so realistic
>flat and soulless
>Job's legacy
>that amazingly accurate scientific test
>silkiness
>classy design of ios6
>reddit
this is meme tier
>>
>>52983506
its a waste of money its not about being a poorfag
>>
>>52985071
>arguing with consumercucks
Just stop. It's about having the latest fashion accessory not about having a functioning device
>>
I don't think it is planned obsolescence so much as bloat.

We pretty much have to face it that, at this point, it is very rare for a piece of software that is continually developed to maintain the same resource requirements, or less, as it matures.
>>
>poor icucks complaining their ancient ishit doesn't work
You're supposed to upgrade every release. If you're not, you should just use a lagdroid like the poorshit you are. Apple is populated with this cancer userbase that complains when their shiny toy is getting old. It's called go buy a new one.
>>
>>52983278
IPhones are for ReTards
>>
>>52983278
what a retard
the music app in iOS 6 is not even the same
>>
File: 1420863525406_obJXifJ.gif (3 MB, 358x272) Image search: [Google]
1420863525406_obJXifJ.gif
3 MB, 358x272
>>52983278
Nigga the same shit happens with lagdroid.
All the phones, regardless the brand, will eventually start failing like random reboots, unsupported apps, not able to do a minor update, loss of signal, battery drain etc etc

Sure u can't install a custom ROM, which is equivalent to have ios6 like that nigga from the video.

They ALL want you to upgrade, this is not new.
>>
>>52983759
Good thing theres a loophole in the OTA update system for the 4s/ipad 2 that enables you to downgrade to 6.1.3.
>>
who gives a shit?
just get a new one, your battery is prob dying anyway
>>
>>52983759
same

and with all the crashing and heat issues, i also had big lag on the keyboard if the phone was in use for more than a minute or so
>>
>>52983570
How's the refugees?
I wouldn't know as an American.
>>
>>52983278
Why does /g/ care so much about facebook toys? It doesn't matter what shitty advertising OS it runs, you're all toddlers.
>>
the animations are the worst part of this
I still use my iPhone 5 on jailbroken iOS 9.0.2 with sped up animations and 3D touch and I find it pretty fast given how old it is.
I use the iPad Air 2 at home which is the top of the line iPad unless you want to count the iPad Pro and when I leave home I never wish that my phone was any faster, I rarely get load times longer than a second. I was thinking about getting the 6s, but then I thought about if I really needed it or not and I really don't. The only real reason I have for upgrading is the new camera even though the camera on the 5 still is really good (I took some pictures to compare it to my friends Z5 Compact and the iPhone 5 blows it out of the water)
>>
>>52983278
The video switches before iOS 6 miraculously finishes booting faster.
>>
>>52987645
>has hispanic refugees constantly entering the usa
>oh i dont know about refugees
>pays josé to mow his lawn
>>
>>52985746
>Sure u can't install a custom ROM, which is equivalent to have ios6 like that nigga from the video.

How is installing a custom ROM like having an older version of the OS? I thought the purpose of CyanogenMod, Paranoid Android, etc, was to run newer versions of Android on obsolete hardware.
>>
>>52988915
>I thought the purpose of CyanogenMod, Paranoid Android, etc, was to run newer versions of Android on obsolete hardware.

You mean poorly made roms from curryniggers?
>>
Apple's real planned obsolescence is with their Macs.
My Grandad had an iPhone 5 and a 2009 MBP running 10.5.8, but he can't connect the two as iTunes totally rejects the iPhone 5 as it is 'too new'.
>>
File: cm1million.jpg (147 KB, 590x306) Image search: [Google]
cm1million.jpg
147 KB, 590x306
>>52988924
I concede that some development channels are shit for their particular devices. e.g. I replaced my Galaxy phone with a Nexus because of bugs/crashing. The experience with the Nexus, even on the very young 6.0 is surprisingly problem-free.

https://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/Devs
Clearly, almost all of these devs are Indian, and therefore terrible at programming.
>>
>>52983278
Why does the left look so much better than the right? Left looks professional, right looks like a fischer price color scheme bullshit
>>
>>52988925
update iTunes you cuck
>>
I got fed up with my iPhone getting more slower and bloated by every update. Fuck Apple and their dumb bullshit.

The iPhone used to be crisp and void of all bloated features when it came out, now it's full of shit you don't want to have, which you have to put in a folder to get it out of the way.
>>
Same with Macs.

I just "downgraded" to Mavericks from El Crapitan and even Atom is fast as fuck now.
>>
>>52987645
Your entire country is built from refugees, ignorant american.
>>
>>52983278
Same shit happened to every iPhone, how is this news?
>>
>>52989151
You can't on the old OS and you can't even update the OS on the older Macs
>>
Say I was to use an iPhone 4, do you reckon I should apply the updates it prompts or just use the original stock OS?
>>
>>52983278
Maybe its because the newer softwre doesn't run as well on the older hardware?
>>
>>52989997
ABLOO BLOO stay mad yourocuck
>>
>>52990048
No shit? What the fuck did you think the point of the video was?
>>
>>52990064
only you sound mad here, friendo
>>
>>52990043
You're forced to update if you want to use certain apps.

Backwards compatibility is weak in iOS.
>>
>>52990146

Can I just download older versions of apps, like with Android?
>>
>>52990155
I don't think so.
>>
>>52990124
Well I thought the video seemed to imply that apple was intentionally putting out slow firmware.
>>
>>52990168
No it is putting out updates that they frankly shouldnt be, just to say that they support old devices
>>
>>52983278
steve jobs died
>>
>mom recently bought an iPhone 5S because dad told her Apple products are the best ever
>she wanted to buy a Sony phone because her previous one was also Sony and it still works like a champ
>iPhone arrives, looks pretty good
>battery life is less than a 2 year old Sony phone right out of box
>randomly hangs when receiving a call
>she hates it, but can't go back because my sister has started using her old Sony

Isn't planned obsolescence thing supposed to affect phones a couple of generations older than the latest? 5S is the last generation, why is it so slow?
>>
File: hand alpha.png (1 MB, 1200x1000) Image search: [Google]
hand alpha.png
1 MB, 1200x1000
>>52983278
>that ring
>>
>>52990577

5s is 3 years old
>>
File: 1453869255073.jpg (86 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
1453869255073.jpg
86 KB, 1000x1000
>>52988925
>tfw my 7 year old PC still recognizes my smartphone
>>
>>52988925
Does iTunes still work with XP?
That would mean that 2001 era PCs could still iPhone sync.
>>
>>52983561
>since the app has more features or has to do more
But it functionally does the same thing. Also a fucking game boy could handle the functionalities a normie uses on his iPhone.

It's just fucking bloated as fuck.
>>
>>52990030
The really old macs, my 2008 model still can run el capitan.
>>
>>52988915
Custom roms are not fully supported by all phones, also, they usually run on lower versions than the current androids.

Needless to say, these ROMs usually have a larger number of bugs compared to the official releases.

So u end up having an old android version.
>>
>>52987645
>USA: 60% white
>Europe: 95% white
Enjoy ur refugees xDDDD!!! Eurocuck!!!
>>
>>52987645
How does it feel getting bankrupt int the hospital and paying for university? Oh, and I forgot to mention getting shot on the street.
Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.