[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
is /g/ employed or is being neet on here just a meme? my company
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 96
Thread images: 12
File: 1336928025356.jpg (345 KB, 599x846) Image search: [Google]
1336928025356.jpg
345 KB, 599x846
is /g/ employed or is being neet on here just a meme? my company is hiring and so far our applicants for a front-end web dev are:

>some marketing & sales people
>a scrum master
>a product designer
>two interns
>someone who is "good in photoshop"
>a car mechanic
>or just really bad devs with a completely wrong skill set

what the actual fuck? what are your experiences like from the job seeking or hiring side?
>>
>>52972611
I just charge people 30€ per hour to fix computers out of my house.
Shit keeps me up in the green so I don't really need a job at this point.
>>
>>52972611
I'm a bartender at a taproom.

I have a couple of opportunities in the works, though. Going for whichever comes through firs. Managing a new bar and grill, sales for trucking lanes, and helping run a chain of game stores. All through people I've met at my job.
>>
File: 1455173855211.jpg (1 MB, 4500x4334) Image search: [Google]
1455173855211.jpg
1 MB, 4500x4334
>>52972641
>>52973206
Kill yourself normalfag wagecucks. This board is for ricing our desktops with anime, not work.
>>
File: 10e.png (156 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
10e.png
156 KB, 800x800
>>52973281
>wage cucks
>Implying I live for my wage when I charge 30€ an hour for fixing PC's
>>
>>52973301
If you work, you're a cuck. Thanks for paying for my NEETbucks
>>
>>52973308
I can only imagine the monotony of not doing anything all day, everyday.

Holy fuck it made me shiver.
>>
>>52973308
I don't pay taxes anon.
I'm unemployed remember.
>>
clinical neurologist
>>
>>52973371
I have all the time to myself. I never have to worry about my backlog of anime or vidya. I can even dedicate my time to working out and cuck manlet wageslaves by fucking their gf behind their backs
>>
>>52973404

>I can even dedicate my time to working out and cuck manlet wageslaves by fucking their gf behind their backs

oh wow, I never thought people would lie on the internet
>>
Ive been working at an it house for a year now, mostly just helping out the tech guys. It's low pay for a fulltime job but the best I could get after school with my shitty grades
>>
>>52972611
>my company is hiring and so far our applicants for a front-end web dev are:
Your company is obviously shit at marketing job openings.
>>
>>52973539
well i figured. but this job was posted on stackoverflow and github though, not exactly low-key places.
>>
>>52973653
Not exactly job hunting places either.
>>
>>52972611
What do you mean by interns? As in, they were looking to intern, or that was their only work experience so far?

The latter should be workable unless you have your head up your ass.
>>
>>52973308
You are fucked when meme president happens
>>
>>52973693
This
>>
>>52973717
God emperor trump will let me keep my NEETbuxs so I can keep buying anime and vidya
>>
>>52973404
We all know you're spending valentines alone, once again doing nothing important.
>>
probably your industry is shitty and doesn't have anything interesting going on
>>
>>52973742
I'm living life to its fullest. Don't you have work to be doing wagie? Your jew boss has a new boat and a 2nd vacation home to be buying
>>
>>52973779
>living life to its fullest
>by being alone, talking to yourself all day everyday, sitting at the lowest tier of the social ladder, knowing that when your midlife crisis hits you'll be the first to eat a bullet.

Sounds much more appealing than working and getting laid, yeah.
>>
>>52973779
You know, for all the people who troll or joke around with this stuff on here, there's probably a few people who actually believe it, who actually talk like this.

Scary thought.
>>
>>52972611
I do remote freelance web dev. Mostly full-stack business logic/workflow automation projects. HTML5/SASS/JS frontend, and usually Node, Python, or Go backend.

Also have native code skills (C, C++, Rust) but don't get much chance to use them. I avoid simple "tweak a Wordpress theme for me" or "PSD to HTML" jobs, because there's way too much competition and way too little respect for people doing basic frontend work. I avoid Freelancer/Upwork/the various other shitty sites, too.

I don't necessarily want to do the remote thing forever though. It's comfy being able to wake up later and skip the commute, but the income inconsistency is stressful. I do it mainly because there are literally no tech jobs in my part of the UK.
>>
>>52973809
The line between meme and reality here is a very fine one.
>>
>>52972611
Location? Pay? Hours? Company reputation also matters.

If there are simply more or better options at better companies then you'll need to tweak something.

Or if you are in the middle of nowhere you will have to settle for less.
>>
I'm a 23 year old forensic psychiatrist with 30 years experience.
>>
>>52973875
Too old.

Have you even been knighted yet?
>>
>>52973713
we're not really looking for a junior, more like mid-level, so no interns (we have enough of those already).

>>52973762
a job is a job, right?

>>52973811
front-end web dev is really saturated so we thought that there would be tons of applications for this position, but turns out that we had way more applicants for back-end positions, which don't necessarily pay more.

>>52973837
won't get too specific, but:
>large german city
>market rate
>full time (40 hrs)
>>
You forgot to finish, OP

>so now we are looking into h1-b's
>>
>>52973895
Might just be where you are advertising then.

Did you see any metrics that suggested SO and github were better than traditional job sites for tech in that area?
>>
>>52973875
Shit nigga read this as a legitimate post and then realized they inequality. Fucking memeposting is getting to me.

Too much /g/ today, time to go.
>>
File: bunny hunter.jpg (568 KB, 1280x964) Image search: [Google]
bunny hunter.jpg
568 KB, 1280x964
>>52972611
Unemployed. Has vocational training. Will probably not work in the business because of meme management fads.

Will find a moderately strenuous work for a year, get the right hardware, hone my skills and go for self-employed.
>>
>>52972611
I sell clothes. I want to start working in an actual lab and do research but I haven't finished college yet and pretty much nobody will take me seriously until I have a degree even though I taught myself 4 languages and calculus and have been studying finite state transducers and natural language processing on my own for 2 years. I'm trying to make something interesting that'll hopefully let me skip some of the more tedious parts of looking for a job by simply having a portfolio to show off rather than a degree. NEETs should kill themselves.
>>
>>52973945
very funny, but we are not in burgerland :^)

>>52973966
AFAIK we haven't done much local advertising.

>>52974030
I know someone who taught himself machine learning, now he's earning shit tons of money running his own company, it also helps that ML is the latest tech hype.
>>
File: 1454632792697.jpg (42 KB, 544x486) Image search: [Google]
1454632792697.jpg
42 KB, 544x486
>>52972611
NEET here. I can't get a job even if i wanted. a few days ago there was a thread with people trying. it failed.
>>
>>52974165
>I know someone who taught himself machine learning, now he's earning shit tons of money running his own company, it also helps that ML is the latest tech hype.
Ye. I taught myself how to implement neural networks a few months ago. I still need NVidya gup for larger scale work but I know exactly what you're talking about. I want to go the exact same route.
>>
My company is hiring php developers and i can't believe that there is no applies for the job
>>
File: 1454007787518.jpg (202 KB, 800x1019) Image search: [Google]
1454007787518.jpg
202 KB, 800x1019
>>52972611
I work and go to school.
Although once I graduate I'll probably be a hikki since I can work from home as much as I like.
>>
I used to be a NEET and have now been employed for over a year. I have to say I miss the NEET lifestyle in some ways. Staying up til morning was amazing and playing games/watching anime all day was great too.

I do like all the money I have now and the ability to do whatever I want but the lack of time is the problem here. Eventhough I enjoy my work I can't stand the people I have to pretend to be normal around.

I never watch anime or play games anymore either.
>>
>hiring a front-end web dev
>2016

Just outsource it. Nobody is doing that shit full time anymore but Indians and Romanians.
>>
>>52974326
almost every tech company with an online presence has at least a few dedicated front-end web devs. how is it even possible to maintain a web app with only freelancers?
>>
>currently trying to hire
>boss doesn't want to hire the old guy
>young guy is a lying retard that can throw together things that sound plausable
>reference checks failed on everyone else

currently trying to leave, but can't find work
>>
>>52972611
Metal fabrication fag here. I'm too retarded for a desk job, tech is just an interest of mine.

>>52973809
I knew a guy who was more or less like this. It's terrible really.
>>
>>52973809
>>52974749
and they live thanks to our taxes...
>>
>>52974697
How do you know he's a lying retard if the things he throws together sound plausible?
>>
NEET here, been applying to a bunch of places but no luck. I've been mostly applying to places out of state because locally the companies suck. Most of them out source their work to India.
>>
You better be offering a competitive salary (at least $100k) or you will get nothing but shitty applicants.
>>
>>52976602
can't do that, average salary for a front-end dev in germany is about 50k euros, and the company isn't willing to shell out much more than that.

>>52976543
if you find yourself competing with indian freelancers, you're in big shit. most of them are terrible at programming and do it only because it pays slightly better than whatever local job they can get.
>>
>>52973371
Even on my free days, I have to find something to do. There are actually people out there who read manga and jerk off, all day. I don't know how they haven't ground their dicks into a fine Chinese spice.
>>
>>52974870
Not really, mostly parents.

Social welfare is already appalling in the states, it covers food and maybe shelter, but everything else is out of reach.

I was tempted to apply when I was out of a job, but the application process is not worth the meagre 300-400 a month.
>>
>>52976668
>if you find yourself competing with indian freelancers, you're in big shit. most of them are terrible at programming
Ya I know, the reason I found out about it was because they were complaining how buggy it was. One company was hiring new junior devs for like $13 an hour to fix one project they out sourced.
>>
>>52973281
Dumb frogposter.
>>
>>52972611
I'm at work right now.
>>
>>52975038
we are hiring for medium-level IT
pre-interview

His I saved the world stories all could have been solved through normal troubleshooting instead of using extreme methods.

Wireshark is great and all, but check your centralized management before you go all black ops on a problem.
>>
>>52974870
At least here in the states it's basically impossible to get cripplebux unless you have a proven history of being disabled.

The neets I've known are the products and dependants of shitty parents.
>>
>>52972611
PhD student in mechanical engineering. Worst regret of my life.
>>
File: 1426179438225.png (43 KB, 421x248) Image search: [Google]
1426179438225.png
43 KB, 421x248
>>52972611
I work as a heavy equipment operator.
>>
I had two internships in university. My second internship offered me a position after graduation but I turned it down. Right now I'm just living with my mom and not even bothering to try and find a job. When she decides to kick me out I'll just go enlist in the air force or something.
>>
>>52976799
Dumb newfag
>>
>>52972611
>is /g/ employed or is being neet on here just a meme
arent you saying the same thing twice?
>>
>>52977020
Why the fuck would you turn down a position?
>>
>>52977243
not him, but entry level positions typically suck dick especially if it was a contract position which have no benefits.

the air force is a good gig but since he has a degree he would be better off commissioning as an officer rather than enlisting.
>>
File: 1455423017766.png (167 KB, 384x258) Image search: [Google]
1455423017766.png
167 KB, 384x258
>>52972611
Code monkey for a financial services form here.
>one subordinate and two interns
>management sucks
>users fight anything resembling project management
>salespeople keep trying to sell features that don't exist
>support issues constantly derailing development
It pays well at least. Main problem is that there isn't much better in the area unless you get lucky enough to get into a megacorp. Most startups around me tank because they're hilariously mismanaged even more; I've seen too many MBAs who have no right calling themselves "managers."
>>
>>52973811
I used to have my own freelance team. If you can find enough work, you'll always be able to find people to do it for 40% of the price the employer is willing to pay (telling this out of experience).
As long as you have enough knowledge to check their work you're pretty much fine. No one (not even your government) needs to know about you outsourcing all that work. Great for extra 'under the table' cash.
>>
>>52973308
>>52973387
>>
Worked in insurance as an interim for various companies. Was in a massive motorbike accident
Off work for 8 months. Setting up my own company while I'm mending up.
>>
>>52977341
Giving money to NEETs is a great use of tax money. They're going to spend it anyways which will give back to the economy. The NEET revolution is a glorious thing.
>>
>>52977243
Company was too large for me, trying to decipher what QA in Hyderabad/Gurgaon is saying over Jabber first thing in the morning wasn't something I enjoyed.

>>52977270
It wasn't contract, it was full benefits and a pretty decent salary/sign-on bonus for the location..
>>
>>52977546
well then you're retarded for not taking it. if you're seriously going into the air force at least commission. there is absolutely no benefit to enlisting if you have a college degree.
>>
>>52974309

Went from NEET 0 hrs/week to a "good job" soul crushing 50-60 hours a week.

Now my life has purpose and a future^tm but holy shit I don't even have time to enjoy any of the money I'm making.

Maybe it's just a burgerland thing, but people look at me like I'm a flame-breathing dragon when I mention that my ideal job would be 28-32 hours a week.
>>
>>52977657
Get a better job, you should have asked about hours and tried to negotiate before taking it
>>
>>52977657
Why would anyone work 50-60 hours a week? I've done 40 hours and that felt draining.
>>
>>52977682

I kind of knew what i was getting into. The first couple months weren't that bad, doing a manageable 40/wk before the latest metaphorical fire broke out.

Got an unfinished degree and some gaps in my work history, so it's kind of my penance for all those happy days spent playing bass and skateboarding.

Mainly putting up with it for two reasons: 1. Money, so I don't have to share an apartment with dudebros when I finish up my degree and 2. HR purposes, so I can get that magic "2 years experience at $ELITE_COMPANY" that'll get me past the HR sluts.
>>
neet here
cs graduate soon

Unfortunately to my health condition I am not able to leave home for straight 8-11h/day. It suck because I had only one inter during uni and with such low cv its hard to find a job better that js + html + shoop.

If I knew all this 4 years ago I would focus on everything on study RE. Its much easier to find remote malware/re job
>>
>>52978122
Can't be a NEET if you are still in education
>>
>>52972611
>/g/
>front-end web dev
you mean, designer?
>>
>>52978122
so you can leave your house to study but not to work? What condition anon.
>>
I work as a "cloud engineer" at Amazon. I get paid to sit on my ass for 10 hours a day. I just do personal stuff at work most of the day.
>>
>>52978151
no, mainly a JS developer who works on browser-based applications. we already have a designer who doesn't code.
>>
>>52978241
>tfw can't even get considered by amazon
A recruiter told me she doesn't handle recent grads and that there is too many recent grad applications so I won't likely hear from them.
>>
>>52978122
>muh condishuns

go to /fit/ you fat lardo
>>
>>52978298
The only reason I got the position is because I had been working there a year doing shitty grunt work. They usually promote current employees before hiring new ones.
>>
NEET here...
trying to do some infosec stuff by myself to make some easy, but so far, I haven't had any luck.
I don't get why other NEETs don't even seem tro try to learn something new.
>>
Nuclear Commercial Diver/ Underwater welder.

When I'm off work I drink, flirt with hotel counter girls, and shit post on this Tibetan silk worm farming enthusiast board.
>>
>>52978381
>NEET
>infosec
aren't gonna make it. infosec is about who you know, and building a professional network. how's neet gonna do that?
>>
>>52978381
btw, I've also tried doing webdev, but I just can't manage the complexity... wtf is wrong with me?
>>
>>52978426
infosec is a wide field.. I (try to) hunt bugs.
actually, I've made some money ($3k), fixed a security bug in firefox 3, but that was pure luck...
>>
>>52978170
I said I can not leave for 10h. I have sick leave and they let me to take exams and projects. I do not have to attend lectures and other shit. I do not have depression or any other r9k mentall illness.

>>52978319
Are you dumb?
Is it really that hard to imagine that somebody can be ill or after murrica education you are able to recognize people with flu or obsese?
>>
>>52972611
I told a guy that was doing a guest lecture at my uni that he should employ me and his company did. Now I work infosec. Wasn't very hard.
>>
I am employed, I'll probably quit soon. Fucking management and impossible deadlines.
>>
>>52977020
Im in the Army and going to AIT for 25B. Basic for AF won't be hard unless you're unfit. Even then its not that physically demanding as others.
>>
I'm a NEET, but I hide it from normies by breaking into the local Kroger at midnight and stocking the shelves for five or six hours. I even duped them into paying me. Now I can afford beer and chips to fuel my sedentary lifestyle. Those saps.
>>
File: 1387759787093.jpg (24 KB, 505x375) Image search: [Google]
1387759787093.jpg
24 KB, 505x375
>>52972611
I am a prototypical autistic fatass basement dweller, but you'll find in most other datamining threads that a good majority of /g/ is either in school or employed.
>>
File: 1373806542815.png (427 KB, 1000x591) Image search: [Google]
1373806542815.png
427 KB, 1000x591
>>52972611
I'm NEET.
Thread replies: 96
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.