[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
GNU/LINUX is like a Nissan Silvia - it's okay if you have
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 8
File: waifu.jpg (171 KB, 582x800) Image search: [Google]
waifu.jpg
171 KB, 582x800
GNU/LINUX is like a Nissan Silvia - it's okay if you have the time to waste on modding it and learning in the intricacies of a car's engine. It's what you buy if you want cars to be your hobby - what you spend most of your time doing.

Windows is like a BMW. It is an all round higher quality car and it's more likely to get you from A to B without breaking down. And just feels nicer to use in general. You don't need to know anything about how the car works you just use to help you do what a car is meant to do.
>>
>>52965113
Take your shit back to >>>/o/
>>
File: image.gif (818 KB, 400x225) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
818 KB, 400x225
So you're just proving /g/'s point that Linux is the superior operating system?
>>
>>52965695
This

OP just BTFO'd itself
>>
>>52965695
it's not that black and white
>>
>making comparison between barely comparable fields
>making comparison with an obvious preference
>not connecting certain core aspects, cherry picking qualities that work for your flawed point
>leaving it open ended with no Mac example

Shit tier bait
>>
But windows doesn't get from A to B without crashing family
>>
Linux is like the Tesla, because its open.
:3
>>
>>52965913
>Linux is like the Tesla, because its open.
>:3
Just like your momma's legs
>>
>>52965113
Windows is a fucking clown car.
>>
Car analogies get me hard. Thanks op
>>
You've got part of it wrong. The quality isn't overall higher on Windows. The time you spend on the system is ultimately in return for higher quality software. The reason Linux is used in Hollywood 3D graphics rendering, servers, space stations, and many engineering and science applications is that it is reliable. Because it is free to change dramatically, it has sane features like filesystems that aren't straight out of the 90s, and a great number of them at that, and the ability to automatically install/upgrade/uninstall programs, even things with complex install procedures. Even the user interface, with enough time spent on it, is better for individual users than any other less customizable system.
>>
Thanks for sharing your opinion, anon
>>
>>52966037
10/10
>>
Windows is more like Van. A van filled with human shit.

OSX is like a BMW, it's shiny, expensive and people think you're a wanker for using it

Linux is like Caterham
>>
>>52966514
this is pretty much it

caterham has no creature comforts whatsoever, and most of the 'caterhams' you see these days are actually built by the owner themselves

theyre insanely moddable as well
>>
>>52966037
>Linux
>Reliable

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahohahahahahahaha
>>
>>52966547
You're showing your ignorance.
You may not have found it reliable for your needs, but the fact remains that it can run for years uninterrupted. You can't laugh away all the servers running it.
>>
>>52965113
Replace GNU/LINUX with Arch or Gentoo, and Windows with Ubuntu or similar.
>>
>>52966664
>Implying they don't need constant maintenance

Try harder
>>
>>52965113
also OP you literally stole my post from that one thread from last night, i said the exact same thing except i called linux a 240sx instead of silvia (same chassis)
>>
>>52966544

>linux has no creature comforts

GNU+Linux Mint is practically the same as Windows. The only difference is that you don't have to restart to update, updates aren't forced down your throat, and you don't have to pay M$ a licensing fee.

As for reliability, there is a reason the GNU+Linux is used in servers.
>>
>>52966744
Implying companies aren't forced to hire sysadmins and tons of people to constantly make sure they fix it when it does inevitably fucks up of course windows isn't a server is, but Linux is not much more reliable. It's just lighter weight.
>>
>>52966744
Be careful, using logic often has no effect on some of the people here. Especially those with buyer's remorse.
>>
>>52966718
Do they run those servers for fun then? Have giant corporations picked their server OS on a whim and have failed to replace it even though it's unreliable? Please explain it to me, since you know so much about it.
>>
>>52966767
Why don't they just change their OS?
Where are you getting these conceptions? Have you been in a server room before? I ask, because I have, and I'm wondering if my experiences apply to everywhere or if Linux was only reliable in their case. I'm open to change.
>>
>>52965113
You got it all wrong OP. You're computer is like a car. Replacing windows with linux is like pulling out the tired, wheezy old 4 cylinder that was original equipment, and replacing it with a shiny new supercharged big ass V8.
>>
>>52966835
linux is like an rb20det windows is like a LC1
>>
>>52965113
I don't give a shit about ricing or freedom or compiling my own kernel or any of that nerd shit. I use linux because it's way easier to get machine learning libraries working than on other OS.

also windows updates
>>
>>52966767

I don't understand your arguments about reliability. I've been running GNU/Linux for years without issue.

Your arguments might have had a leg to stand a decade ago, but GNU/Linux is simply a much better user experience from install to major configuration. The only reason the Windows holds a majority market share in personal computers is licensing agreements with OEMs and inertia by consumers.
>>
>>52965113
What the fuck? This would make sense if you could get a car for free, or if intellectual property were anything like real physical goods. In other words your analogy doesn't make sense at all.
>>
>>52965888
Wastes trips
>Operating systems and cars aren't comparable fields
>Implying the custom built performance of a custom rig or car doesn't directly translate to the factory spec performance of a high end prebuilt or high quality sport car
>Implying the difference between operating systems is a windows to a mechanic as a home garage is to linux.

3/10 for making me explain it.
>>
>>52965113
I am tired of 14 year olds making broken metaphors involving cars
>>
>>52966547
>You
>Retarded
Yes.
>>
Linux isn't an OS, it's a crucial part but not an OS... ...
>>
if you need analogies to understand the general differences between operating systems, do us all a favor and stop getting involved in discussions about operating systems.
>>
There's nothing luxurious about windows, I'd say its akin to Toyota.
>>
File: Vwdionk[1].jpg (57 KB, 576x382) Image search: [Google]
Vwdionk[1].jpg
57 KB, 576x382
>>
>>52966037
Except it isn't, Hollywood uses it because renderfarms are faster and easier to setup and remotely pull data from respectively.

Workstations are almost exclusively Windows or OSX, with a dualboot or VM for any custom inhouse software.
>>
>falling for paid ms bait instead of reporting the thread
>>
File: diebill.gif (8 KB, 140x164) Image search: [Google]
diebill.gif
8 KB, 140x164
>>52967602
this

anything but fucking windows you goddamn mongos!
>>
>>52965113
>2016
>still no tabs in file manager

Yeah right, BMW.
>>
>>52965113
>BMW
>Quality and reliability
You've never owned a BMW, have you....
BMW's start breaking down after 50,000 miles, are a pain in the ass to work on, and use expensive-ass parts.
>>
>>52965113
who is this mattress actress
>>
File: 934044.jpg (20 KB, 331x315) Image search: [Google]
934044.jpg
20 KB, 331x315
>>52965695
>>
You don't have to mod shit with Ubuntu, while with Windows you need tons of placebo privacy tools just so Microsoft doesn't know what color of underwear you're wearing.
>>
>>52966718
> Using closed-spec proprietary hardware then blaming the operating system for breaking.

K.
>>
>>52965925
top kek
>>
>>52966971
OP is only comparing the functionalities of the two operating systems
>>
>>52965113
>>Windows is like a BMW.
>Indians
>Driving BMWs
>>
File: 1455153263180.webm (1 MB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
1455153263180.webm
1 MB, 640x640
Does the OS other people use is affecting your life somehow?
>>
>>52973153
What the fuck did I just write
>>
File: 1426013774312.jpg (24 KB, 450x275) Image search: [Google]
1426013774312.jpg
24 KB, 450x275
>>52967608
>closed source
>>
>>52965695
Go back to /a/ with your dumbass cartoons.
>>
File: gnu_here.jpg (84 KB, 311x311) Image search: [Google]
gnu_here.jpg
84 KB, 311x311
>>52966547
>Entire US Department of Defense runs Red Hat Linux, including US Army & Navy on the nuclear submarine fleet
>Northrup-Grumman MQ8B Fire Scout drones Vertical Takeoff & Landing system runs on Linux.
>US Federal Aviation Authority runs Red Hat Linux.
>US National Nuclear Security Administration use Red Hat and Fedora
>Amazon.com uses Linux "in nearly every corner of its business".
>The Chicago Mercantile Exchange's all-Linux infrastructure has processed over a QUADRILLION dollars worth of financial transactions (All the money in the world, 16.66 times over)
>London Stock Exchange uses Linux.
>New York Stock Exchange uses Linux.
>NASA put Linux on ALL International Space Station laptops.
>All of CERN (Including Large Hadron Collider) runs on Linux.
>Google runs on Linux.
>The NSA uses Red Hat Linux.
>Over 90% of the world's fastest supercomputers run Linux
>96.6% of the world's top 1 million websites run on Linux

But tell us more about how you "Linux isn't reliable".
>>
>>52973153
swim swift pupper
>>
>>52976037
>Desktop share still <1%

Year of the Linux desktop when systemd implements a DE.
>>
>>52965113
>BMW
>shelling out a fortune on replacement parts and service
No, thanks.
>>
>>52976207
Desktop share is somewhere between 1.75% and 2% currently.

This will probably trigger you, but I work at a place that puts Linux on every desktop machine we ship. And business has literally never been better.

The sudden increase in our business is almost entirely due to Windows' privacy fails.
>>
Linux is like a Tesla... Open source so you can build it from scratch if you want and look at all the details. It runs well and is high tech.
>>
Linux: Honda Civic from the 90's, you can mod the shit outta that thing but still ugly and tasteless no matter what you do.

Window: the Ford of Os, gets you from A to B, sometimes with no worries sometimes is a pain in the ass

OSX: is like Cadillac, rebranded and overpriced of regular shit
>>
>>52968982
And that completes the analogy.
Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.