[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
AMD’s Polaris Graphic Cards Will Make The ‘Minimum VR Spec’
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 14
File: Kitty_Katswell_49.jpg (71 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Kitty_Katswell_49.jpg
71 KB, 1024x768
>This graphical horsepower can be produced by GPUs equivalen to the GTX 970 or the Radeon R9 290. Both these GPUs cost $349. So if we take a look at the sales data of these GPUs as well as the GPUs above this mark, we will be able to calculate something called the total available market for VR – which is the number of users that can actually run any VR product on these headsets. AMD believes, that Polaris architecture will be efficient enough to address this problem

>The shift to 14nm becomes highly significant in this aspect. Not only does the die shrink allow for more transistors to be placed on the same surface area, it increases economies of scale – lowering costs

>would allow good yields and more volume to be shipped. AMD hopes to exercise this advantage by lowering the cost of “minimum spec VR” to a point below the $349 mark – making VR available to everyone and increasing the Total Available Market for VR.

Can AMD make the comeback that some have been hoping for these past years? I hope Zen and Polaris really put AMD back on track.
>>
>>52959941
A slide from the VRLA Winter Expo 2016
>>
AMD will never make the comeback, we've been hoping for one for years and years and all their products they produced hardly even 1up themselves and so behind Nvidia.
>>
Furries belong on /b/
>>
>>52960114
Write a blog on it.
>>
>>52960075
The 300 series were a disappointment, but come on. They cannot possibly screw this up... right
>>
>>52960259
I would personally love to see the engineers thinking behind their next products. Because they're going to fail us, like they did time and time again.

Nvidia is going to monopolize the GPU game and Intel the CPU. AMD is done.
>>
>>52960557
I'm not an AMD shill, but I feel like I should come to their defense here. These cards are going to cheaper and still deliver enough power to reach the minimum specs to run VR. Which means it going to at par with the GTX 970, if they can't beat them by performance, beat them by price.
>>
>>52960075
The difference between AMD and NVIDIA is hardly that huge. 980 Ti is categorically a better card than the Fury X, but below that performance level there are options available from both companies.

It's Intel that's been raping AMD a new asshole for pretty much a decade, not NVIDIA.
>>
>>52960704
You sound like a Makifag, I feel like you don't understand the point of Jennyposting
>>
>>52960704
This. Jenny is technology related so she gets to be an exception. Anything technology related like robot boy that was posted earlier is fine, cartoons like what OP posted belong on /co/
>>
>>52960704
>>52960739
If OPs picture really matter to you go oggle at Jenny here: >>52954937

I swear you guys are going to become cancer just like these anime posters.
>>
>>52960778
I don't care if /co/ posts cartoons, just make it technology related. Posting stuff like what OP posted, you're only doing it to instigate something
>>
>>52960704
>>52959941
>Switching to /co/ characters
That isn't very /a/ of you
>>
>>52960704
What's with the recent surge in Jennyposting?
>>
>>52960908
Jenny is cute

>>52960936
She's technology related, but the nuclear asshurt from a few makifags greatly contributed to it.
>>
Pics or it didn't happen.
>>
File: Certified Shit Wrecker.jpg (421 KB, 1680x1050) Image search: [Google]
Certified Shit Wrecker.jpg
421 KB, 1680x1050
>>52959941
Daily reminder that amd will make a comeback, it is just pulling strings right now:
>Crimson
>Mantle based DirectX 12
>They finally changed from GloFo to a more serious partner (any other is better, seriously the 20nm/16nm were delayed several times)
>Perfected HBM
>New GPU architecture
>ZEN ZEN ZEN (Jimmy Kelly)
>The always-growing console market now depending 100% on amd
>A new arm/x86 mobile architecture
>They finally changed their horrid dog shit stock cooler
>"More affordable vr gpu"
>Crimson Drivers
>Their partners are fucking up in a good way (XFX´s 380 that can be unlocked into a 380X
>Apple depends a lot on amd´s mobile GPUs

But right now they just completely own the
Low/mid (a 980 ti) is not mid end idiot) end cpu/gpu market
>>
File: 1455190204744.png (423 KB, 1376x895) Image search: [Google]
1455190204744.png
423 KB, 1376x895
>>52960936
Sit around the fire, let me tell you a story:

A long time ago in this hole of cancer called /g/, Maki posters ruled the land posting in desktop threads and jerking themselves off to their riced Loonix desktops.

For years, /g/ was under the east Asian overlords ruled.

One day, a anon not aware of their rules posted this thread.

This made /a/ made, they were seeing a cartoon character! The people of /g/ swooned over Jenny's components and see better that Jenny is amazing.

Later people have been posting Jenny to anger these anime posters. Threads after threads the /a/ people stopped trying , Jenny has won but the war isn't over. We post Jenny to combat anime try hards from thinking that the board belong to anime
>>
>>52960995
not really when you don't get those nvidia features
>>
>>52960995
I use Nvidia right now, but I feel like AMD is going to make a comeback and will buy it once mine goes out of date. I love their Open source stand on things. Free Sync, Open GPU, I feel like AMD gets it. I just want them to preform better
>>
COME ON AMD

ZEN
POLARIS
V U L K A N
>>
GCN is inherently friendly to VR due to its "wide" nature and its focus on parallel computation - something Nvidia has not focused on with its GTX class chips in quite a while.

In a limited way you can see this effect in benchmarks - as resolutions increase GCN cards (which is realistically all of them this day and age) tend to gain/overtake their equivalent GTX card due to the front end saturation that occurs (side note: if fiji had 96 rops it would crush big maxwell).

VR wants as much bandwidth (both from memory and other components) as it can get which is why hawaii in particular is fantastic for it.
>>
>>52961063
more please.
>>
>>52962078
More what?
>>
>>52962131
the illustrative content you posted, that's what.
>>
File: 1453862479077.jpg (17 KB, 364x720) Image search: [Google]
1453862479077.jpg
17 KB, 364x720
>>52962131
>>52962078
err...you know
>>
>>52962131
disappointment: the post
>>
File: JennyPopsicle.jpg (819 KB, 699x800) Image search: [Google]
JennyPopsicle.jpg
819 KB, 699x800
>>52962300
>>52962516
I deliever
>>
>>52961063
Maki is only a few months old phenomenon on /g/.
>>
File: JennyPink.jpg (87 KB, 958x989) Image search: [Google]
JennyPink.jpg
87 KB, 958x989
>>
File: 1451747892151.jpg (72 KB, 956x960) Image search: [Google]
1451747892151.jpg
72 KB, 956x960
I believe in AMD...
History is full of rallying comebacks.
> 2016 and ZEN will be AMDs Stalingrad
> they either pull a knockout or lose everything
>>
File: JennyClangClang.jpg (133 KB, 800x534) Image search: [Google]
JennyClangClang.jpg
133 KB, 800x534
>>52962651
I was exaggerating the entire stlory
>>
>>52962768
Besides that, it wasn't that exaggerated.
>>
>>52962780
Kitty Katswell, you fucking sicko
>>
>>52962670
Summit Ridge is only launching in the very end of 2016, and it'll be limited supply.
Raven Ridge and Summit Ridge won't hit the market in any significant numbers until 2017, the same year that their enterprise chips begin shipping.
Their GPUs don't contribute enough revenue annually to make or break them. This year is going to be totally lackluster for AMD while 2017 is their tipping point in recovery. They're doing nothing but coasting through the year.
>>
is this the next my little pony shit?
>>
>>52963088
Dubs confirm MLP next thread.
>>
>>52961285
>literally taking Game "the kike's cut cock in your face" Works
>>
File: tfwboughtthinkpad.png (808 KB, 1080x1059) Image search: [Google]
tfwboughtthinkpad.png
808 KB, 1080x1059
If AMD fails with zen and goes bankrupt, it will be the end of the PC era

intel will over charge for their shit because of juicy government/cloud/corporate contracts. People will start just using tablets/cellphones/game consoles for everything, and eventually this will catch up with the office. Intel will go bankrupt overnight as cloud switch to ARM because muh power consumption.

>daddy, what's that dusty box in the corner of your office with a power button on it?
>>
Oh look. The same little boys that talk about their autistic gamer toys also watch children's cartoons.
What a surprise, senpai.
>>
>>52964140
I honestly don't know how AMD is till alive. You would've expect with all the disappointments the past years that they will just sink to rock bottom
>>52964166
Cool.
>>
>>52964202
I think they had plenty of cash reserves and outside investment. This has started a bit of a downward spiral as they need that R+D monies to constantly improve their product line.

Zen is their last hope, if it flounders they're fucked
>>
>>52964140
AMD can't go bankrupt, too many other industries have their fingers in AMD's asshole to let them fall out of the game
>>
>>52962768
Do you have a source for this? Google and iqdb don't give any useful links
>>
>>52964202

>I honestly don't know how AMD is till alive

Primarily they hav e secured a fair few contract that ensure steady cashflow (albeit not mega money) as well as owning a shitload of IP thats worth a fuckload.

The 86_64 license alone is why Intel hasn't moved in to utterly destroy AMD.
>>
>>52964140
Intel overcharging didn't kill PCs when they ruled the roost in the '80s and '90s

Most of those contracts are for Xeon systems anyway where AMD hasn't been worth a shit for over half a decade.
>>
>>52961994
>due to the front end saturation that occurs
Possibly true, but also remember that AMD's DX11 driver is shit in terms of CPU overhead. Increasing resolution increases the stress on the GPU but not on the CPU feeding it. This makes the impact of AMD's crap driver lessen as resolution increases.
>>
File: nvidia cannot into compute.jpg (83 KB, 1026x839) Image search: [Google]
nvidia cannot into compute.jpg
83 KB, 1026x839
>>52965055

All true, but still GCN is a jack-of-all-trades arhictecture and it sucks down a lot of juice due to its compute based designed that vidya doesn't care about (primarily due to the finer points of it not being exposed in DX11).

I have no doubt Polris - much like fermi - will unfuck cpu overhead (command lists yo) which will inherently give GCN4 a huge boost. This combined with general improvements from node shrink and shader count increases very much looks like a Pascal killer. 28nm is especially harsh on hawaii/fiji and it shows in power draw.
>>
File: Tem.jpg (25 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
Tem.jpg
25 KB, 500x500
>>52964977
Thanks

:)
>>
>>52962670
Except Stalingrad was under attack by Nazis to kill the Jew ideology , but now It's the jews attacking , and guess what ? The Jews win everyfucking time .
>>
>>52960704
Jenny is shit post more Drossel
>>
>>52965209
Don't forget that GCN4 has an improved (likely customized from the ground up) geometry/tessellation processor, a next gen HBM interface/GDDR5X focused interface for lower end parts, and was designed entirely specifically for 16nmFF on top of the revamped shader architecture/ISA

GCN4 lit'rally gonna blow the pants off everything we see this year.
>>
>>52967180
What?
The nazis wanted to kill slavs.
>>
>>52961323

I got burned by gameworks in my 700 series card

Can't even toss us a Tess slider nvidia?

Then I'm seeing the 3.5 shit and straight up lying about maxwell fully supporting dx12. Playing rise of the tomb raider, the hair option barely costs any frames and it's based on tressfx yet in witcher 3 hair works shit tanks by 20

No fucking thanks
>>
I don't know fellas I've been hoping for AMD to make a comeback for a couple years now but nvidia will just jew their way into "optimizing" vr games
>>
>>52968278
Bullshit, they wanted control of the oil in the caucasus.
>>
>>52968321

MS is likely the only way to stop nvidia but they might not give a shit

Wish someone would buy and and neutralize nvidias Jewish tactics
>>
>>52959941
Polaris has a chance, but zen is taking way too fucking long to come out
Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.