[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there a valid reason to use an electronic typewriter in 2016?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 3
File: 1.jpg (147 KB, 1200x900) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
147 KB, 1200x900
Is there a valid reason to use an electronic typewriter in 2016?
>>
It's fun
>>
Autism. That's really it.
>>
>>52958016
UU
UU
>>
File: HIPSTERSUM_3341651k.jpg (90 KB, 858x536) Image search: [Google]
HIPSTERSUM_3341651k.jpg
90 KB, 858x536
>>52958003
For hipster cred.
>>
>>52958022
What about for filling out documents that needs a handwritten signature anyway?
>>
>>52958003
Fewer distractions. A shitty reason, but a valid one.
>>
>>52958043
How the FUCK is an electronic typewriter a better alternative to a fucking pen for signatures.
>>
>>52958003
fun and hipster cred.
>>
>>52958068
You are filling out the form as you go, when you are done you don't have to deal with an external printer.

You just sign it with a pen when you are finished.
>>
There's no legal or practical reason to do so unlike with other analog/old tech, so I'd say there's no valid reason to use them.
Unless "nostalgia" is one of the reasons.
Also why electronic instead of mechanic?

>>52958041
Those are mech though.
>>
>>52958016
yeah, it is
its fun to hear the tap tap tap
>>
I actually saw an ibm wheelwriter recently at a desk at my university's office, so I'm guessing it's useful for filling out forms or some shit like that.

Maybe you could use one so that you could actually get your papers done in a reasonable amount of time instead of shitposting here and then being really stressed out typing out your paper a few hours before it's due.
>>
no, not when there's mechanical (computer) keyboards
>>
If you want to type a document but don't want any identifiable info on it
>>
>>52958189
I have heard they're popular with some departments that have highly classified information to hold. If there's a digital copy there's a higher chance of an information leak.
>>
>>52959081
>ibm wheelwriter
You mean a Selectric with the ball?

>tfw learned how to type on one
>>
>>52959180
Nope, the selectric is different from the wheelwriter. The wheelwriter replaced the selctric, and doesn't use typeballs iirc.
>>
hard to look on youtube and nude grills
>>
>>52958003

If you're a technophobe
>>
>>52958068
I'm a cop, and I can tell you we were writing our reports on those until about 2008.
>>
>>52958128
yeah, autism it is
>>
It encourages the user not to make mistakes.
I read about many authors still using typewriters because of this.
Also, no distractions.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n29B-BBUAAY

you can still get google on those
>>
>>52959824
>distractions
You wot?
>It encourages the user not to make mistakes
That's retarded. Throwing away a page just because you hit "u" instead of "y" is inefficient and don't even try to tell me it is possible to not make mistakes. Whoever uses typewriters is an autist.
>>
>>52958003

Aesthetics. I use it for hobby and artwork, but never in a practical sense. But I also collect them when I can. Maybe if I want to send a letter to someone. Otherwise I would prefer to handwrite stuff or use a computer.
>>
>>52959857
>Whoever uses typewriters is an autist.

Oh, I agree! I wasn't implying the reasons are legit, just relaying what I've read in the past.
>>
I work for a law office and we still use typewriters when its faster to use them
>>
>>52959857
Whoever uses autist as an adjective is an autist.
>>
>>52959963
oh yes, I am. Not a surprise
>>
>>52958003

I often think it would be useful for addressing envelopes at work or making labels for things
>>
>>52959840
Lol the fucker doesn't have an ad blocker.
>>
>>52959937
This, but I've only seen them being used by older law clerks.
>>
>>52958003
NSA
>>
>>52959145
>steal tape cartridge
>read back every single document that has ever been typed on that typewriter
nice security
>>
Carbon paper multipart forms or writing letters from prison to get your conviction appealed.
>>
>>52958003
yup, when you need to make sure your employees won't slack playing minesweeper
>>
Oh my shitfucking christ no.
>>
>>52959857
A typewriter has no distractions like a computer, how can u not get this?

And u dont have to throw away the whole page. Stop spouting off about shit you're too stupid to know about, its embarrassing
>>
>>52961046

Securing the ink cartridges is much easier than securing an entire network.
>>
>>52959937

When is it faster? I can't imagine any situation where it would be, especially in jurisdictions that e-file dockets.
>>
>>52958003
Classified things. For example if the government documents that they don't want stored in a digital medium that could be compromised.
>>
>>52961291
oh here an example
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/russia/10173645/Kremlin-returns-to-typewriters-to-avoid-computer-leaks.html
>>
Yes, it's because it's cool.
I'd buy one if I wasn't dirt poor.
>>
>>52959937
Huh, my friends at law firms don't have them.
The only thing they do use quite a lot is the fax machine.
One does have a network detached computer+printer so I guess that's where the typewriter would be useful but it's probably easier to come across a working computer and printer than a typewriter.
>>
>>52958061

underrated post
>>
>>52958061
I came in here to write that and it's easier and faster than writing by hand with the bonus of being able to read all of it later on.

I know a handful of writers that use them for that reason.
>>
>>52958003
So your shit can't be tracked
>>
>>52958003
Neckbeard
>>
>>52959857
>Throwing away a page just because you hit "u" instead of "y" is inefficient and don't even try to tell me it is possible to not make mistakes.
What is whiteout? What is correction paper?

This has been solved in many ways.
>>
>>52958041
some fucker in my old college did this, i taped a sign the said: PLEASE LOOK AT ME! on his back. that was a good day.
>>
>>52964959
>you misspell a word
>your computer points it out
>right click
>problem solved
>>
>>52958003
CLACK-BZZ-CLACK-BZZ-CLACK-BZZ

you can be even more anoying than with just mechanical keyboards. The only reason.
>>
>>52958003
can buy a box of selectric ribbon that will last me like a year from estate sales for a tenth of the cost of ink cartridges for a printer that will last me a month

nice keyboards

cool design

botnet-free

maybe convenient over printers if you're just processing text

though I mostly just have mine because I like electromechanical stuff plus the look and feel of it and my desk has a built-in typewriter stand, might as well put it to use.
>>
>>52959857
>Throwing away a page just because you hit "u" instead of "y" is inefficient and don't even try to tell me it is possible to not make mistakes.
that has literally been a non issue for over 50 years, even longer if you just use correcting fluid or simply don't type like a hamfisted fucktard
>>
>>52958003
They are very secure, senpai.
>>
>>52958003
Some people rig them up to be USB keyboards.
>>
>>52965421
>maybe convenient over printers if you're just processing text
what
why
how is "text processor" where you can't even undo changes convenient

Old people love how typewriter works on simple rules, click key - put character on the paper. It's way easier to understand than computer where your data lies on some hard drive thingie that may get fucked up, or where you can't print because you lack some drivers.
>>
File: wheelwriter-50.jpg (121 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
wheelwriter-50.jpg
121 KB, 1920x1080
>>52967350
>how is "text processor" where you can't even undo changes convenient
pretty sure we nipped this meme in the bud further up, but here we go again:

>what is correcting tape supported on almost every electric typewriter made in the last 50 years
>what is correcting fluid supported on every piece of white paper made since the beginning of time
shit, plenty of later electric typewriters, particularly from companies like IBM, Brother and Smith Corona had built-in word processing applications that allowed you to pre-type everything and then it would just automatically type it out for you
>>
>>52961046
That's why they use typewriters with fabric ink ribbons in situations like that.
Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.