[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why don't you love me?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 8
File: PHP-logo.svg.png (150 KB, 2000x1060) Image search: [Google]
PHP-logo.svg.png
150 KB, 2000x1060
Why don't you love me?
>>
>>52957400
Spectacular for small and quick projects.
Programming hell for larger projects that needs constant management.
>>
You're useless for anything with more than two files
>>
Because Javascript is superior.
>>
You are the direct cause for most security breaches
>>
>>52957400
But I do love you.
You're perfect for something that can be mercilessly mocked without feeling bad about it.
>>
>>52957400
because youre my bitch
posted from my php-funded estate
>>
File: 1440162483570.jpg (141 KB, 543x405) Image search: [Google]
1440162483570.jpg
141 KB, 543x405
>tfw working a project in php
>stuck at a point where it has gotten too spaghetti to continue and too much work is already done to start over in a better language

Life is suffering
>>
>>52958790
I know your pain, bro
I'm literally considering dumping my job for an unpaid internship just so I can get away from the web "development" shithole
>>
0 == "php" // true
^ this is why
>>
>companies try to make things easier with web frameworks
>99% of web frameworks are now so complex and convoluted it just makes things worse
The PHP community is retarded. At this stage it's not even PHP itself, though obviously a security hazard at times, that's the problem. It's the "code artisan" group of people who shat on it and abused it that ruined the language, the platform, the ecosystem and web development in general.
>>
File: 1426525449262.jpg (39 KB, 377x500) Image search: [Google]
1426525449262.jpg
39 KB, 377x500
>>52957400
>>
>>52958839
wut, its true.. anyways, who gives a fuck, you can find a way around it.
>>
Thus is why I love web.py, Aaron Schwartz god rest his soul wanted to make a simple web framework, one where you wrote web apps in actual fucking python. It beautiful /g/ I can write a website with loadable modules I wrote and it switches based on the URL, all handled however the hell you want, with sanitized nyswl database support built in, so simple so elegant
>>
>>52958839
>>52958996
there, fixed your problem... now find some other reason to bash php idiot
>>
>>52958996
>you can find a way around it
that's like the landlord asking you why do you bother the meter-wide hole in the wall because you can just cover it with a blanket
I'm here to solve problems and satisfy clients, not add to the job by using shit tools
>>
i live off nothing but php money

you faggots don't even code you just type out bullshit /g/ maymays while you throw money at ITT Tech hoping to slave away at a fortune 500 that will never hire you
>>
>>52958839
Why are you comparing a number with a string though?
>>
Because /g/ is chock full of first year CS dropouts who flipped shit once they realized that the school wouldn't recognize their innate ability to use some obscure, dead 80s hipster language and that nobody outside of their IRC circlejerk cares how long-on-purpose it took to make an ironic hello world. This is positively suicide for getting any business web development task done because it is all about time and reliability, instead thinking you'll impress your boss who doesn't give even one one-thousandth of a fuck how super cool it is that you got it working using some super psuedo complicated way.
>>
tfw work on enterprise publishing site in wordpress while friends are doing nodejs with react

at least its not drupal
>>
>>52959028
Loose equality a shit.
php a shit.

https://3v4l.org/tT4l8
>>
I actually do like PHP

>>52958300
retards not filtering their database calls are the cause of security breaches
>>
>>52961469
No, the PHP interpreter itself has a lot of vulnerabilities.
>>
File: php.jpg (139 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
php.jpg
139 KB, 1280x720
>>
>>52961469
>retards not filtering their database calls are the cause of security breaches
that might be because there are at least 5 different functions to do so, of which ~3-4 are deprecated but still taught everywhere

php is joke
>>
>>52957400
facebook
>>
>>52961741
at least he's honest.

can't hate the guy for trying to solve his problem. hate the morons keeping his hack around.
>>
>>52957400
but I do
>>
Rasmus has fucked the language up before it was even a thing.
He did everything wrong he could have.

The core devs have done a... reasonable job at attempting to improve it, but... ugh. You just can't fix something that is fundamentally broken.
>>
>>52958874
Django is pretty good, don't be mad
>>
>>52957521
>>52958202
sums it up.
>>
>>52961741
umm..so basically php is a language for autist like myself who are not only lazy but under achieving. tried my hand at C C++ and Java and failed miserably at all of them. so if i attempt to learn php, could i at least get away with doing cool stuff even if it freezes? please help, i am an idiotic autist. a lazy could for nothing waste of space.
>>
>>52962926
*good
>>
php 7 looks pretty sweet
>>
>>52958946
Perl is the precursor to PHP.
>>
Don't touch PHP unless you have a foundation on web security and design patterns, or you are willing to learn them.
>>
>>52963919
it's been borrowing from enterprise java patterns the last few years
>>
>>52962926
C is for drivers and embedded software. C++ is for AAA game engines and legacy software.

It's no wonder why you didn't get anywhere.

Too many autist programmers shun anything other than C/C++ because of muh 'real programming languages'. Simply ask what personal projects they've completed and watch them freak the fuck out. If they're lucky they might be able to rattle off a patch they made for some typo for a high end project or a fucking string library that has 2 stars on github.

The reason why the "hacker programmer" is the most sought after programmer, it's because they can slap together shit without sperglording all over the language and how fast it can perform in benchmarks that will never happen in real life

tl;dr use a 'batteries included' language and get shit done.
>>
>>52961722
No, it doesn't.
Citation needed, you dumb faggot.
>>
>>52963919
>don't learn most popular web scripting language
>don't get employed
>>
>>52958790
Newsflash: your new project will also be spaghetti.
It's your fault you can't write manageable code.
Blame yourself, not the language.
>>
>>52964025
this,

if you manage to fuck up a PHP project, you'll fuck up in any language
>>
The only bad thing about PHP is that it's too good. This means even poonjabs can get a shitty site working within a couple of days between google mapping the nearest shitting street.

This has been catastrophic for the web. Idiots in higher management underestimate the cost of developing websites. It results in shitty sites that don't work on mobile, 2MB webpages, 10 second load times and exploits. it means web developers get paid 20k less for doing more work, despite their workflow now being more complicated than other software developers. It means having to tidy up the mess that other shit teir developers have made. Middle management sees the demo that some idiot made by buying a $50 template online and shared hosting, and the cost is way less but looks like it does what they want.

If PHP was perfect, it would force you to write a fizz buzz before it started for the first time.
>>
>>52964650
Word.
It's *too* easy for Pajeet to conjure up a website in Dreamviewer with a few tutorials and a pirated template.
>>
>>52964650
horse shit like what wordpress has under the hood is what gets php a bad rep also
>>
>>52957400
Its a very comfortable language to work with and the most requisited for server-side web programming in my area so Im fine with it.
>>
It's a simple discussion to end; how many websites today are written in php and how many are written in other programing? PHP wins, now fuck off.
>>
>there are PHP developers RIGHT NOW who aren't use composer

sickening
>>
>>52965272
If I got into a project seriously enough to use Composer, I would probably drop PHP and begin rewriting anyway.

PHP is a great quick language for a quick hacky project because it's so permissive. But once I start relying on dependencies and shit, I'd really rather work in a language with more activity (JavaScript and the Node.JS framework, namely).
>>
>>52964950
>Its a very comfortable language
You can't be serious. There are many adjectives that describe PHP, some of them good, but "comfortable" isn't one of them.
>>
>>52957400
want to substitute a string? WHY IS IT SO MESSY?

str_replace('dog', 'cat, 'dog');
>>
>>52965341
because you forgot a qoute character
>>
>>52965336
at best you can say he's making a subjective claim. I said PHP is permissive, and to the extent that you agree with *that* adjective, you have to agree that some people find permissive behavior comfortable while some people find it frustrating - like building on the beach at high tide.

Neither person is wrong, but claiming that this is objective is a mistake both of you make.
>>
>>52965314
> I'd really rather work in a language with more activity (JavaScript and the Node.JS framework, namely)
You're kidding, right?
PHP is active as fuck.
>>
>>52957400
Because I'm married to asp.net/c# and she is a way better wives than you will ever be
>>
>>52962926
You are the problem, not the language...
>>
>>52965498
he wants to work with all the cool kids and their shiny new javascript frameworks

is what he means
>>
dsfsd
>>
With PHP mixing code and HTML isn't just possible, it's the norm. Compare with a framework like django where generating HTML has its own DSL templating language. Mixing PHP with HTML will always lead to spaghetti code, and it takes persistent effort to fight.
>>
>>52966592
>it's the norm
For small projects, it is. Makes it easier.
For larger projects, there are plenty of template engines.

Also, you're comparing PHP to a framework like Django or Flask. Don't. Instead, compare Django or Flask to Laravel, Cake, Slim, Symfony, Zend, etc.
>>
>>52957521
>Programming hell for larger projects that needs constant management.

Websites shouldn't need to be so large, ever, for this to become a problem.

If it does, then you are doing something wrong.
>>
>>52964650
>It results in shitty sites that don't work on mobile,

This is a fault on the front end, not on php. And because Webkit on mobile is HELL.

>2MB webpages, 10 second load times and exploits.

Again a frontend problem, everyone wants gigantic single page do-it-all pages, with giant infographs and parallax scroll. You cannot physically fit this many stuff in a smaller size, even with how much you can do with pure CSS nowadays.

Also, due to webkit on mobiles being a giant fuckfest with every fucking phone using a different version, you are forced to use shit loads of html5 shims to get around that.

>it means web developers get paid 20k less for doing more work, despite their workflow now being more complicated than other software developers

This is only because PHP is the most common. If Python or Ruby made up 90% of web development, then they'd be in the same scenario.

>Middle management sees the demo that some idiot made by buying a $50 template online and shared hosting, and the cost is way less but looks like it does what they want.

Again, not the fault of PHP.
>>
File: images.duckduckgo.com.png (125 KB, 1200x750) Image search: [Google]
images.duckduckgo.com.png
125 KB, 1200x750
>>52958790
why don't you simply use a framework you idiot?
>>
>>52965224
All the serious sites are written in serious languages like Java, C#, and Python.
>>
>>52966592
You can separate your code and have your template apart, you just need to pass your values, a template engine can do that, or you can include your template on your php and pass the values
>>
>>52966592
>Mixing PHP with HTML will always lead to spaghetti code

If you write it to look like spaghetti, then yeah.
>>
test
>>
>>52966740
Wikipedia, Facebook?
>>
>>52966736
I am LOVING this meme

I rate it 8/8 meme points
>>
>>52966740

25% of the internet is WordPress. Like it or not good code and conventions come second to ubiquity and just working in the real world.
>>
>>52966825
i don't know what you are talking about, ppl on /g/ say meme to everything that is actually very useful, at least i get good money out of it. i also use Vue.js and elixir instead of curl so fuck it i'm a meme that makes good money by using meme tools, fuck /g/.
>>
>>52962244
STFU, eat shit and die desu (no autocorrect here)
it's an idiotic bloated piece of shit, opinionated as hell, and the worst is, these opinions are mostly wrong
plus, the community is a largest toxic bunch of SJWs this side of Gender Studies department
led by a huge flaming hysterical retard, who literally pushes the point that there are no good programmers, we're all mediocre (and for him, it's fucking true)

just fucking yesterday I came across a bug that they encountered like fucking TEN YEARS ago and still cannot solve, despite numerous attempts

Flask is somewhat better, but Python community is rotten through and through

AAAAAARRRRRGH when, when shall I switch to something decent like Haskell

captcha "buena park"
no buena, amigo
no buena, tu madre
>>
>>52959007
Flask?
>>
>>52958756
>>52959064
ITT: buttmad purists and smug PHP coders
>>
File: 1401490219611.png (122 KB, 666x666) Image search: [Google]
1401490219611.png
122 KB, 666x666
>>52957400
he said it >>52957521
Also in combination with laravel fuggin easy to use
>>
>>52961741
this... is... beautiful.

I mean, it's so ugly, it becomes butifel.

(saved)

(captcha "dead end")
(damn right)
>>
>>52966848
>25% of the internet is WordPress.
and another 25%, if not more, is phpBB, Drupal/Joomla/Laravel, MediaWiki and the such.

then there's this whole facebook thingie
>>
>>52965336
lotsa bait in this here ITT
Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.