[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Its Saturday, why the fuck are you still staring at a screen?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 99
Thread images: 11
File: programming.jpg (52 KB, 500x430) Image search: [Google]
programming.jpg
52 KB, 500x430
Its Saturday, why the fuck are you still staring at a screen?
>>
>>52954625
What else would I be doing?
>>
Because on Friday I bought the Acer Predator Z35.
>>
>>52954625
oh what should I go out to spend my money?
>>
>>52954625
I am jerking off thinking of you anon, pls.
>>
>>52954625
Because my shit program includes agile development and now I have to pick up slack for hick-town-Joe who somehow made it this far without knowing MVC and how it fucking works.
>>
Because management gives me unrealistic deadlines so I have to work today as well. The pay's shit as well. Good thing I don't have a life or anything really.
>>
>>52954625
It's cold outside, and the only source of heat is my computer compiling Gentoo to keep me alive.
>>
>>52954625
Taking a shit, browsing on my Nexus 7 (2012), about to get ready for work.Q.Q
>>
>>52954699
Drop that job nigga your life is more valuable than that.
>>
>>52954699
>I accept unreasonable expectations and am underpaid because I don't know how to enforce my boundaries.

http://www.daedtech.com/the-beggar-ceo-and-sucker-culture/

Find another job.
>>
>>52954625

I'm sitting in my mancave just let me have this ok world?
>>
>>52954625
I'm in sales. I work every Saturday.
>>
>>52954625
it's -25C here
>>
>>52954720
I want to at least finish the project I'm working on so I have something for my CV, it's my first job out of the school.
>>
Cause I am waiting for gf to finish cooking breakfast
>>
>>52954776
I got a £28k webdev job with fucking nothing on my CV.

Start looking anyway, you might be surprised.
>>
Waiting in dorm for people to come to run errands...I wonder what the average active on site time 4chan users have...
>>
>>52954625
Because thats how I make my money and talk to my boyfriend.

The real questions is why I'm on this godforsaken image board
>>
>>52954776
Apply for jobs you're under qualified for. You'd be surprised at the results, most jobs post unrealistic expectations to weed out the pansies.
>>
>>52954665
Bigger screens to stare at.
>>
>>52954803
lel, 28k a year? That's pretty low for someone who tries to brag about it.

>b-but I was rebellious and never went to school!!

Yeah...
>>
>>52954803
>>52954847
Yeah, I realized how hiring people often goes after being here for a while. I'd like the experience to get an actually decent job next time instead of this though.

>>52954890
£28k would be pretty massive in my country, kek.
>>
>>52954625
Because I just got back from buying my mom a present for mother's day tomorrow, and getting a haircut.

Now I get to make tacos and watch Initial D 3rd Stage
>>
>>52954940
The best experience, obviously, is a job but freelancing work and having contacts to vouch for you is also a plus.
>>
>>52954890
>28k a year
>what are different currencies lol
Median income in the UK is £21,919. He's making 1.27 more than median, which is the equivalent of $68,000.

That's not bad for actual software engineering, and for babby webdev shit it's great.
>>
On break from our GIAC SEC501 lecture
>>
>>52954890
The point is he shouldn't be staying in a shitty job just for the promise of putting something on his CV, when he could potentially get another job with literally nothing on his CV.
>>
Well, I spent some time outside yesterday, and I'm leaving again in a few hours.
>>
>>52955126
Filthy normie
>>
File: 505.png (129 KB, 453x668) Image search: [Google]
505.png
129 KB, 453x668
>>52954684
I feel for you.
>>
>>52955001
>freelancing work
Oh god, never again. I fell for the freelance meme once. Learn from my suffering:

• Clients never pay. Checks come late if they come at all, and they always come light. You WILL have to pull dirty tricks to get paid.

• Small clients really never pay. It *amazes* me how many people hire freelancers they can't afford. Your checks will bounce if they come at all. You will get on a first name basis with the county clerk if you take small jobs.

• Big clients contract out their shit work. It's never "Build this amazing thing that will challenge you as an engineer and make you smile when you see it in action". It's "Here's ten million lines of C++ that was written by chimpanzees throwing keyboards at each other. It doesn't work. Here's our issue tracker with 1,417 bugs, none of which have been root-caused. Submit invoices to Laura so she can ignore them every two weeks."

• There are literal millions of southeast Asians who sit on Freelancer and other sites and bid on every single job. They always bid the minimum payment, and clients are idiots so they don't understand why hiring fifteen Bangladeshis is a terrible idea.

• No client ever has or ever will be satisfied with your GUI.

• Psychopaths post jobs specifically so they can sue you. They'll deliberately miscommunicate requirements, omit details, and otherwise sabotage your work, then bring you to court for breach of contract. Enjoy dumping your money into bonding and insurance!

• As a contractor, you are a small business. The tax and legal system passionately hates small businesses.

Seriously, freelancing is hell. Avoid it unless your some kind of sociopathic cunt who is sexually excited by litigation.
>>
>>52955372
Freelancing is how I started. My experience wasn't even remotely as painful as yours.
>>
>>52955372
>ociopathic cunt who is sexually excited by litigation.

An easier way of putting it is masochism. Thanks for the read though.
>>
>>52954625
I have no friends
>>
File: 1452058697635.jpg (156 KB, 750x500) Image search: [Google]
1452058697635.jpg
156 KB, 750x500
My girlfriend is working on a project for school. I'm studying for my calc 3 and physics tests next week
>>
>>52955372
From where did you accept those freelance?
>>
I just spent the past week in a new semester and getting up at 4AM and coming back at 4:30PM is killing me inside.
>>
>>52955372
The trick to getting freelance work is to pretend to be a girl on Github.

Also it sounds like you keep doing business with dickheads, and you keep doing work for free.
I'm more inclined to believe that you're the main cause of your problems.
>>
>>52954625
Lmao
>24
>no friends
>no work
>near broke
>virgin
what more do you want
>>
>>52955596
This, freelancing isn't nearly as bad as the anons made it look
>>
>>52955007
>webdev
>software engineering

top kek, I bet he just uses Wordpress and rips people off like most """""""""""""""""""""""web devs"""""""""""""""""""""""""" do
>>
>>52955483
First, I got a job with a consulting agency, who are basically just pimps. They take more than half what the client is paying for you, they expect you to actively pursue jobs for the agency, and they put you in ridiculously shitty jobs.

I then bailed and fished for jobs on Freelancer, Guru, Linkedin, and Craigslist.

Freelancer and Guru are filled with dipshits posting jobs and Cambodians bidding on them.
Linkedin is filled with corporate bastards who won't pay you and startups who can't pay you.
Craigslist is filled with morons and psychopaths.

I then got a nice, cushy salaried position, and never had to threaten violence to get paid for my work ever again.
>>
>>52955101
Yeah he should sit at home like most people here bragging about dumb things on an imageboard
>>
>>52954625

it's 18 freedom degrees outside and I'm studying for CS50X. also I already went out, got breakfast, went to the farmer's market, etc etc

now i'm just procrastinating, might get in a couple rounds of competitive dust ii bruh
>>
>>52954625
Because I have to learn shit about internet networks and protocols for my exams in a week, but instead Im watching "the Raid 2" and browsing /g/ on my 2. screen.
>>
>>52955649
I use node.js mostly, and its not an agency with clients (because clients are gay) we just work on the company's own products.
>>
>>52955658
> consulting agency
Your first mistake...

Also thanks for warning
>>
>>52955685
Why the fuck are you replying to my post?
>>
>>52954890
Its fairly decent for a first job desu. senpai. Also he didnt seem he was trying to brag about it.
>>
>>52954625
Watching wintersports all day

>maximum comfy
>>
>>52955667
Actually I'm sitting at home right now, I've got a decent PC setup here compared to the cheap shit I have to use at work at least so I'm about three times more productive.
>>
>>52955705
Because you're talking shit about me?
>>
>>52955596
>it sounds like you keep doing business with dickheads,
Everyone in business is a dickhead.

>and you keep doing work for free.
No, that's one thing I never did. I never once did any work after the money stopped. The problem is, though, that contract work doesn't pay in advance, so once the money stops that leaves you being owed money.

Depending on the client, your best bet for getting that money is filing a lawsuit (for the large firm who's betting you won't), threatening a lawsuit (for the small firm who's afraid of going to court), or violence (for the single-person client who can't prove you did)

That all implies that there even is money to take, which in the case of startups is usually not the case. Big clients stiff you because they're sociopaths, but small clients stiff you because they're flat broke. At that point, the best you can hope for is a lien on their property, and that's usually more trouble than its worth, and they might not even have any property to lien.
>>
>>52955733
Ofcourse people will talk shit about if you think web development is an actual job.
>>
I have to read three chapters of virtualization before I can do anything else.
Would like to take my friends out drinking, but they work dead-end jobs at restaurants and work most weekends.
>>
File: tears.gif (2 MB, 260x150) Image search: [Google]
tears.gif
2 MB, 260x150
>>52955774
>>
>>52955694
I've found out that the best way to do freelance is to use it as a quasi-retirement job after a solid career. Work in your local industry long enough to know all the firms personally, then acquire jobs by going to their social functions and talking to their executives.

That way, when Dickbut Inc wants to hire a contractor, they just call/text/email you and ask if you're available, as opposed to posting a job to Guru and wading through 4,000 bids from Taiwanese anal slaves. They'll think of you as you, their friend and former coworker, rather than Expendable Asset #19447, and you'll know the ecosystem well enough to tell the difference between a startup that's going places (because their CEO is Dave, the architect from that biotech project you worked on last year) and a bunch of nothings who will default on their lease in eight months.
>>
>>52955007
What's $100k in the UK?
>>
>>52955987
Since median income in the US is 50-something, and 100k is a little less than double that, a little less than double of UK's median would be somewhere around £40,000.

A senior software engineer makes an average of $102k in the US, and £43k in the UK, so these estimates hold up.
>>
>>52955774
> Code monkeys upset that designers, entrepreneurs, and businessmen are invading their secret club
Sorry you can't go back in time to when software was a haven for antisocial nerds, but it's true.

We've solved all the common problems. You can build great things and make a lot of money without knowing a lot of math. If you do know a lot of math, you can make a lot of money in data science, but that requires being able to communicate with actual humans.

You can get mad that web developers don't know as much about pointers, memory management, and mathematical proofs as you do, but that doesn't make them less valuable to the industry. In fact, since they know more about scalable architecture, appealing design, and logistics of production than you do, they're quite a bit more valuable then you are.

Have fun fucking around with embedded crap and maintaining 30 year old tech-debt abysses. I'm sure that's a lot more fulfilling then building interesting products with short development cycles and a vibrant community.
>>
>>52955007
>Median income in the UK is £21.919
>in my country it's £40.000 (converted)
>>
>>52954625
Waiting for the caturday threads.
>>
>>52954625
Because Im in NYC and its 12 degrees out faggot. Furthermore just came back from the gym. 700 calories on the elliptical. How about you?
>>
File: 613sim.inside.jpg (91 KB, 600x550) Image search: [Google]
613sim.inside.jpg
91 KB, 600x550
>>52954625

I woke up at 2 am, went to bed at 7 am, woke up at 9 am, gf yelling at me to pay attention to her, get irritated, go back to sleep, wake up at 10 am, feel hungry, eat leftover asparagus, shitpost here about speakers, gf comes back from walking dog, yells at me to pay attention to her, go back to sleep, wake up at 12, gf got me hamburgers, eat hamburgers, gf tells me if im not gonna pay attention to her shes gonna to take a walk by herself, go back to sleep, wake up at 2 pm, posting this shit

also, its too fucking bright outside; im a nightbreed
>>
>>52958044
>tfw no gf
>>
I tried going urban exploring/abandoned building exploring as was planned for this weekend but its just too damn cold out to do anything outside here. (it's -20F..).
>>
>>52954625
I had an exam today and I got another one tomorrow.
>>
File: laura.jpg (33 KB, 377x400) Image search: [Google]
laura.jpg
33 KB, 377x400
I'm hungover
>>
File: 1382691357125.jpg (26 KB, 437x471) Image search: [Google]
1382691357125.jpg
26 KB, 437x471
>>52954625
Waiting for my gaming group to get here.
>>
>>52956533
>web developers
>valuable to the industry
the only "value" web developers have for the industry is that they can be paid peanuts and lower the overall average wage so there's a higher chance your new applicant won't realise you're lowballing them.

>scalable architecture
for 99% of web "developers" scaling means "throw more AWS instances at it".
>>
>>52958044
stop mistreating your girlfriend you fuck. You are hurting her.
>>
>>52954625
why not?
>>
It's winter.
>>
>>52954653
>acer
>>
all my friends are dead and people don't leave their houses for fear of being shot dead in the street

In 2015, Chicago recorded 2,987 shooting victims and 488 homicides

Number of soldiers who died in Iraq, 2015: 8
>>
>>52959718

> living in Chicago is 333 times harder than being a soldier in Iraq and that's why I get no pussy
>>
File: 1455057073549.jpg (60 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1455057073549.jpg
60 KB, 640x480
>tfw thinking how I'm going to impress my waifu tomorrow
>>
>>52954625
It's actually Sunday.
>>
>>52954625
I'm broke and I live in a bad neighborhood.
>>
You think that's something, I'm about to do drugs, then look at FOUR screens. It's justified in coolness because of the drugs I think.
>>
>>52954773
Where?
>>
>>52959900
Toronto
>>
>>52954625
Why are you, anon?
>>
>>52954625
I just got home from helping my bro move
>>
waiting till midnight then drinking/programming with friend
>>
>>52954745
underrated post

if you don't have equity in the project, why are you breaking your back?
>>
>>52958160
sauce on pic?
>>
>>52955372
>You WILL have to pull dirty tricks to get paid.
How dirty are we talking? Are we talking like, intentionally sabotaging deliverables and demanding your full payment to get it fixed?
>>
Just been out for a nice meal with the wife. Now we're going to get drunk.

Nice.
>>
>>52958044
>gf yelling at me to pay attention to her
wait women actually do this?
>>
>>52960253
Most things you think are false stereotypes of women are true.
>>
>>52960091
>intentionally sabotaging deliverables and demanding your full payment to get it fixed?
Yes. More often, holding deliverables hostage for back pay.
>>
>>52960273
holy shit /r9k/ were right after all
>>
>>52954625
Because until about 10mins ago, I thought it was Friday.
>>
>>52960355
>2.0161205479452E3
>still falling for the vaginal jew's tricks
I seriously hope you friends do not do this
>>
>>52954625
Why the fuck is this on /g/ when it has nothing to do with technology?
>>
Because I'm at work.
>>
>>52958044
Your girl is going to fuck someone else.
Thread replies: 99
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.