[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
why is Linux superior?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 5
File: 01_1_.jpg (460 KB, 1711x1200) Image search: [Google]
01_1_.jpg
460 KB, 1711x1200
I am not trying to start a shit fest, although I have no doubt this thread will turn into one.

Many believe that Linux is far superior to Windows, and I've heard some good points. I've only ever dabbled in it, but I'm a CS student now and we've been told to familiarise ourselves with it somewhat extensively.

So, what makes linux so superior to Windows?

Pic unrelated
>>
free software
>>
It's better in certain ways but not all. From the standpoint of a non-gaming shitposter I like that it is free, customizable, and open source. It isn't sending my data to the mothership. A lot of really smart people work on it.

I like windows too because it just works, compatible with everything, and it is good for word processing.
>>
>>52928375
I like the python integration (idk if it's included in every distro, but we use openSUSE) because it makes my life easier since we're starting out on python, so I tend to get a lot more work done a lot faster this way, so I can see why people would choose to work on it
>>
more interested in the PC in that pic
>>
Every-way but gayms
>>
You will know soon enough if you are familiarizing yourself with it.
>>
I like digging through piles of shit just to install a driver. Also, I like how none of my software works on it. Finally, I like to do useless but fancy shit on the terminal because it makes me feel like a l33t haxor.
>>
File: dscn0052-8796_0.jpg (37 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
dscn0052-8796_0.jpg
37 KB, 640x480
>>52928490
FM Towns Marty. Really cool, mostly used for video games. The keyboard is the most interesting part to me. Canon Cat had a similar arrangement.
>>
>>52928706
I take it back, the Marty came later and was a "Consolized" version of the FM Towns (pictured in the OP), used only for games
>>
>>52928321
don't like the direction windows is going? tough shit. you can only stay with 7 for so long before it becomes xp.

this is not quite so with Linux. if there's enough resistance options will emerge.
>>
>>52928321
if you're CS it's best to be OS agnostic. The old flame wars of lispers hate unix hate windows is over.
>>
>>52928321
Having a /usr/bin directory is one of the best, simplest features of *nix. Also nearly everything can be treated as an IO device on Linux.
>>
>>52928798
Dumb question but what do you mean by both of these things?
>>
>>52928321
It doesn't matter.
It's an OS.
Just like countless other ones.
Choose the one that you like.
If you don't understand it, choose a different one until you get one you understand and like.
It really is this fucking simple.
>>
>>52928798

Agreed.

>>52928321

Programs are way less bloated than Windows versions. For instance Visual Studio and Microsoft Office, are bloated and slow, Compared to Vim+Ctags+GCC or LibreOffice which are both faster. Even the Windows ports of these are faster than VS and MO.

So I don't think it's that Linux is a better than Windows, I think free software in general tends to be better designed, albeit lacking a few features and user friendliness here and there.
>>
>>52928919
The second thing means that Linux, or GNU/Linux as I like to call it, treats all devices as files
>>
>>52929023
The 80's called, they want their text editor back
>>
>>52929172
Wow how fucking useful that must be. I mean god damn, I can treat my IO as files?! Sign me the fuck up!
>>
You'll understand the answer to this question in a few more years when your institute fully brainwashes you with their libby morals and commie mentality.
>>
>>52929242
Your sarcasm is useless here
>>
>>52928321
Windows has games.
Linux IS the game.

Windows is like a playground, where you have very strict supervision and are only allowed to play with certain toys, half of which you have to pay for.

Linux is a clusterfuck of people making their own toys and trying to get everyone to play them and people fighting about which toy is the best.

I'm not going to say that merely using Linux will make you a better programmer, but it gives you something to play with and break with programming. And that'll make you a much better programmer.

And that's why I use Linux.
>>
>>52928321
if you aren't drawn to it, then there's no real need to get into it

we don't want you
>>
>>52928321
$PATH sucks dick on Windows, but it just werks on GNU/Linux.
>>
>>52929023
>I think free software in general tends to be better designed, albeit lacking a few features and user friendliness here and there.

I believe the opposite. Free software usually ends up like personal projects people do for themselves but see no reason not to share (except for really big ones).

To be honest quality and organization of free software are usually bad, but they make up for it by being in an environment where everyone is exposed to some type of software development. So if it catches on they get developed, usually by deleting all the starting code and writing it from scratch.

What I'm getting at is that "free software is awesome" is not a stance I could get behind, what free software movement actually revolutionized is the way the software is developed.
>>
File: 1440715419837.jpg (37 KB, 300x263) Image search: [Google]
1440715419837.jpg
37 KB, 300x263
>>52928321
>I've only ever dabbled in it, but I'm a CS student now and we've been told to familiarise ourselves with it somewhat extensively.

>Hi /g/, do my homework please
>>
>>52929345
>Windows is like a playground, where you have very strict supervision and are only allowed to play with certain toys
What do people even mean by this? In terms of practical application, I don't think Windows has ever really kept me out of anything. There's nothing to stop me from tweaking/patching system files or deleting what I want. Being unable to examine the source and the true inner workings of the system without reverse-engineering is probably the biggest "restriction" I can think of.
>>
>>52930089
The Home version of Windows 10 doesn't even allow you to not update, they could put anything in there. People are also unable to de-botnet it and it just keeps calling home for whatever reason. You can't know what it does but it probably has something to do with the NSA, like Snowden has talked about.
>>
File: 1452140809098.jpg (25 KB, 365x437) Image search: [Google]
1452140809098.jpg
25 KB, 365x437
>>52928331
window is free, too! If you know what I mean ;) XD
>>
>>52930199
Those are valid security issues, yes, but other than forcing updates on basic versions, how exactly does that qualify as a restrictive "playground" where you can only play with "certain toys"? The system doesn't at all limit you from installing, running or tweaking applications it is capable of running.
>>
Less annoyances while I'm working.
>>
>>52930468
I can't tell what the previous guy meant with it since I'm not him, I only jumped in. There's also the restriction that you can't change your hardware or your Windows will stop working forever, since it's bound to your current setup.
>>
Linux is superior because it runs on most servers and people still say that it sucks. Our biggest websites use Linux servers because they are most reliable and run and run and run for months even years at a time without reboot. People who hate on Linux are in denial because they paid a ridiculous amount if money for a glitchy, laggy, spying piece of shit software. If I install an OS, I just remove it if it isn't good or try and fix it myself because it is free and open source and I'm allowed to. That is why Linux is superior, when you have millions of people from all around working on something, it's gonna be better than software a few hundred Microsoft or Apple cuck developers writing C# or Obj.-C, kek.
>>
>>52928321
Learn it well CS student
Recently my father's company hired a CS grad and he had no idea how to navigate through a *nix terminal
>>
Will being good at Linux get me a job?
>>
>>52929608
Sometimes free software is really good though.

Often I will find that the programs I like the most on windows will be open source, so looking for open source software in the first place is usually a good idea. It's usually targeted toward a more technical audience who know what they are doing, rather than some random user trying to do something.
>>
>>52928321
If you're being honest (and many are not), Linux is by nature superior in that it is faster, lighter, and more flexible than Windows by light years. Unfortunately, Windows has been favored by most of the market, but somehow the Open Source community can keep up with software all the same, excepting games.
>>
>>52930771
Linux runs on more machines than windows and osx combined, if you account for all the embedded devices.
Hell your fridge probably runs on Linux
>>
>>52930788
That's the flexible part of Linux. It can be as cutting-edge and feature rich or as remarkably lightweight as you need.
>>
>>52928321
>but I'm a CS student now and we've been told to familiarise ourselves with it somewhat extensively.

Because it has an amazing development environment, compared to windows.
>>
>>52930744
Maybe. If not, it will make it much easier. There are many examples of people who have made their jobs much easier by making bash scripts to do anything that takes longer than about 120 seconds.
>>
>>52928321

XDD RAIDEN
EPIC IMAGE OP

PLEASE ADVERTISE SUPERIOR EPIC ASIAN RAIDEN ALL OVER 4CHIN GAME SO COOL
CHINA COOL

DAMN OP I AM AMAZED HOW COOL RAIDEN WAS EVEN THO I GREW UP IN THE 80's and 90's AND THIS GAME NEVER REALLY FLOATED INTO MY INTEREST BECAUSE IT WAS ALWAYS SUB PAR

MAYBE ONE DAY WHEN YOU STOP WORSHIPING THE INFERIOR YELLOW PISS LIKE A FAGGOT YOU CAN DISPLAY A PROPER GAME FROM THE SAME TIME PERIOD SUCH AS NARC
YES I KNOW THE IMAGE IS MORE ABOUT THE COMPUTER SYSTEM THAN IT IS ABOUT THE GAME BUT FUCK MAN, YOU STILL HAVE THAT SUB PAR MEDIOCRE ASIAN GAME BLASTED ALL OVER /G/ LIKE A FUCKING BITCH
>>
>>52929371
If he wasn't drawn to it, he wouldn't have asked for the mess he knew he was getting.
>>
>>52928766
This is very much the case. And depending on what distro you get, it may actually be pretty easy for you to just change the system the way you want to without much difficulty.
>>
>>52928321
stability
problems either happen at first or not at all ever
>>
>>52929172
Unix where everything is a file*!
*unless it's a socket
*or a serial device so don't seek it.
*oh when you write a program and give it a filename you'll just have to guess and check about what kind of file it is. Sometimes this will fail and let you know and sometimes it will fail silently. GOOD LUCK!
>>
>>52928321
Linux is far better designed as an operating system. It's also all open source so if you want to change the way something works and there's no way to configure the program, you can download the source, patch in the features you need, and rebuild it. This also means there's no such thing as a truly undocumented API since you can learn what anything does by reading the source code. This is in direct contrast to Windows where the predominant mode of tweaking the OS is blindly patching binary files or interpreter spoofing. The unix model in general is also more amenable to tweaking and customization since it was designed by and for advanced users.

>>52930960
>what is /dev/tcp in bash
>seeking a serial device
>not just using the OS's mimetype database or GNU file(1)
Your arguments can all be rebutted with "git gud."

>>52930831
It's a pretty famous pic of the FM Towns, you quintuple nigger. Calm down.
>>
>>52931331
the point about seeking a serial device is then why is it a file if you can't seek it?
I'm also talking about Unix domain sockets not tcp/ip.
MIME is good? hahah.

The whole idea of the old "everything is a file" is strained giving modern graphics and encodings. It worked well when you only had ascii and teletypes.
Install plan9 if you want to see how modern "everything is a file" works.
>>
>>52930618

You just sysprep your shit.
>>
>>52930831
If you can't appreciate Raiden then you don't have much taste to speak of. Good job getting mad at 4chan, shitsmear
>>
>>52928321
Ask anyone working for an enterprise-level company. I've explained this too many times to give you a full response. The list is long.
>>
>>52928321
Free
Highly customizable
Fast
Decent privacy

I use GNU/Linux as my only OS. I study Electronics and I saw my professor use Debian. I installed Linux Mint first until I came to /g/.
>>
>>52928321
It isn't... But I wish it was...
>>
>>52930269
GET OUT !!!
>>
>>52928321
It's free (open source too, if you get a hard-on from that sort of thing)
Extremely customizable
Uses less ressources and is generally faster
Doesn't spy on or show ads to you OS level
A majority of servers use it
And Many More!

Cons: muh gaymes aren't as good yet
>>
File: richard stallman.jpg (6 KB, 275x183) Image search: [Google]
richard stallman.jpg
6 KB, 275x183
>>52930269
Windows is not free software.
>>
>Monolithic
>Abandoned X Server
>systemd
>Terrible code-base
>Terrible GNU code-base
Superior?
>>
>>52934969
Monolithic is faster and Linux is stable enough to run 24/7 for years, if needed. Why even think about something else?
>>
>>52929345
>Windows has games.
>Linux IS the game.
This, pretty much
>>
could i run VirtualBox in linux and still use my current windows 10 install? ( in VirtualBox) or would i have to reinstall windows 10?
>>
>>52937543
Just dual boot
>>
>>52937592
No, im asking if that's possible.
Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.