[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ubuntu or Linux Mint? >inb4 Windows shills >ing4 install
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 127
Thread images: 9
File: ubuntu vs linux mint.png (80 KB, 640x400) Image search: [Google]
ubuntu vs linux mint.png
80 KB, 640x400
Ubuntu or Linux Mint?

>inb4 Windows shills
>ing4 install Gentoo / Arch / anything else

Try to have a decent conversation, gentlemen!
>>
mint
>>
>>52898078

Why?

I'm really curious, by the way.
Still considering to change Ubuntu to Mint.
>>
Mint. Cinnamon is just a great DE.
>>
Doesn't really matter unless you stick to defaults.
>>
I recommend mint to people that never used GNU/Linux before because it has everything installed. How old is your hardware? Because mint is still on 3.19 and you might wany to use buntu 15.10 if you have new hardware.
LMDE is also pretty cool.
I personally prefer debian testing to everything else though.
>>
>>52898088

Is it just the DE?
Cause you can use different DEs on Ubuntu, too.
>>
>>52898098

And what if I don't?

>>52898154

6 yrs old laptop.
Also I never used Linux but I like Ubuntu.
Mint is a bit weird. I feel it's... limited (compared to the freedom in / with Ubuntu).
>>
I use mint on my old MacBook. Works like a charm
>>
>>52898189
>mint on my old MacBook

My nigga.

>>52898189
>Works like a charm

Any experiences with Ubuntu?

Mint's update system seems weird as fuck compared to the simplicity of Ubuntu.
>>
who gives le fuck what you use as long as it gnu/linux if you stick to it you'll eventually find what you like
>>
>>52898206

Op here.
I'm just curious.
I like to discuss stuff.
>>
>>52898066
Mint, mostly because multilib isn't such a headache there.
>>
>>52898223
soz lol, i started with lubuntu coz old laptop and eventually moved to arch and cobbled together the things I liked
>>
>>52898241
sounds like a decent linux distro
>>
Updates are pretty simple in mint and the drivers are working ootb.

And if nothing works as it should, theres still the cli to fix it
>>
>>52898066
Mint.
Ubuntu comes with a fuckton of useless bloatware that no one needs
>>
>>52898066
buntu, unity is just pretty and works, don't mind the haters
>>
>>52898256
I'd just like to interject for moment. What you're refering to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called Linux, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.
There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called Linux distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux!
>>
>>52898244

Yeah, I heard that's the deadly seduction of gnu/linux - Ubuntu and other "easy" distros are the gateway drugs and you'll eventually fall into the depths of some hellish pits of Arch / Centoo / some eldritch horror.

I hope one day I'll reach that state and make that faithful leap.
>>
Both distro just works with my drivers (graphic and sound, mobilephone), cannot say the same for debian (even nonfree) and other meme distros.
>>
>>52898266
FUCK OFF FUCKING R.M.S GTFO OF THIS BOARD IT ISN'T FOR FURGAGS LIKE YOU YA FUCKIN WHORE.
>>
>>52898260

But it's easy to remove Amazon and you can turn off Canonical repos...
>>
>>52898189
Both distro just works with my drivers (graphic and sound, mobilephone), cannot say the same for debian (even nonfree) and other meme distros.
>>
>>52898066
In the past week I tried both kubuntu and mint. Both work like shit if you have swappable GPUs because fglrx is shit, so you have to stick with xorg.
With that said, I stuck with mint because I like it better but they are pretty much the same distro with different DEs.
>>
>>52898066
Linux Mint is a frankenbuild Ubuntu LTS.
Linux Mint doesn't even have their own complete repos, but is just re-using the ones from Ubuntu LTS.
That's just inane and to lessen problems arising from that Linux Mint chose the retarded solution of disabling security updates for some packages like the kernel or Xorg server.

Historically Ubuntu took off among other things because it gave you a stable Debian every 6 months instead of having to wait 2 years for the next version. Stable Debian has the reputation of being ancient.
Ubuntu LTS has the same 2-year release cycle than Debian. LTS is more aimed for enterprise users and only supports ~2,000 core packages in the main repo for the whole support period. Most desktop packages are not in main and not longer supported than 9 months. You would be better off with Debian that supports all ~20,000 packages for a desktop distro with longterm-support.
>>
>>52898273
Most people don't and I don't recommend going to arch for everyone, if it ain't broke don't fix it because you don't have too! Arch just fills a little niche were users get the most up to date software, rolling release opposed to scheduled and well maintained software repository
>>
>>52898310
Debian is at 43000 packages afaik
>>
>>52898335
you only count source packages, retard.
it doesn't make sense to count -dev, -dbg, or else separately.
>>
>>52898066
I didn't think I would like Mint Cinnamon but it is pretty fucking good. Like I would easily switch to Mint if I wanted too. I couldn't do that with Ubuntu because Unity pisses me off. Seriously the dash is fucking horrible. I like the dock in Unity but I wish I could move it.

I also prefer that Mint doesn't do all the Amazon bullshit. It sucks that the first thing I have to do in Ubuntu is follow the instructions on fixubuntu.com. That is just bullshit.

I wish making Cinnamon look nice wasn't so shit though. I couldn't find a nice looking theme for it. Everything looked just kind of "wrong". The default theme isn't awful but I would prefer something darker like Numix or Arc but they both look kinda meh.

Flatabulous for Unity is really nice, I couldn't get it to work with Cinnamon right though :(
>>
>>52898357
>I also prefer that Mint doesn't do all the Amazon bullshit. It sucks that the first thing I have to do in Ubuntu is follow the instructions on fixubuntu.com. That is just bullshit.
Mint sold out long before Canoncial and brought you shit like patched search engines in your browser.
>>
>>52898357

How about support?
As a beginner, I can always find answers to my questions on Ubuntu pages.

Is Linux Mint's support as good as Ubuntu's?
What are your experiences?
>>
>>52898379
Yes I didn't like that getting Google as the default meant going to some Mint page and clicking on a tiny Google icon. Having said that I use Chrome over Firefox anyway so I just installed Chrome and all was good :)
>>
>>52898379
They're pretty much straightforward with it tho, if you try to change the search engine to Google it tells you that the ones they suggest by default are the ones that sponsor them.
>>
>>52898382
In general you just look for Ubuntu 14.04 LTS "trusty" info and it works just fine on Mint as Mint is based on trusty. In my experience everything that has worked for Ubuntu trusty works for Mint which is pretty nice.

The only slight differences are any Cinnamon specific things but that is true of different desktop environments on Ubuntu so not a big deal. Cinnamon is better than Unity IMHO.
>>
>>52898394
>>52898395
>still using the Google botnet
>2016
>>
>>52898412
Meh I use what works best for me. I live in the UK and soon enough no matter what I do online is going to be recorded thanks to Mrs. May. When i need to do something I don't want tracked I don't use my day to day system I boot up Tails and use Tor like a sensible person.
>>
>>52898183
>Mint is a bit weird. I feel it's... limited (compared to the freedom in / with Ubuntu).

What gives you that feeling?
>>
>>52898183
>Mint is a bit weird. I feel it's... limited (compared to the freedom in / with Ubuntu).
But Mint literally IS Ubuntu just with some extra bits so it is every bit as "free". Do you have an example of what you mean?
>>
>>52898466
>What gives you that feeling?

It feels like I'm on Windows.
The system (on the surface, of course) wants to tell me what to do, which repo or update are important, which is not (they have "scores" or ranks).

It is weird (for me - as I said it's just my personal opinion).
>>
>>52898497
>It feels like I'm on Windows.
Windows certainly isn't as retarded and has security updates disabled for core components.
>>
>>52898066
*buntus' package repositories are maintained by professionals, not hobbyists.
That said I really like Cinnamon. Too bad it only is available from third party PPAs.
Official Cubuntu WHEN?
>>
>>52898066
ARCH
R
C
H
>>
>>52898830
see >>52898655
>>
>>52898655
>*buntus' package repositories are maintained by professionals, not hobbyists.
you should be using Windows. everything done by professionals.
>>
>>52898864
Everything is done by poo in loos
FTFY
>>
mint treated me better than *buntus
>>
>>52898879
>mint treated me better than *buntus

For example?
>>
File: rms.jpg (104 KB, 480x320) Image search: [Google]
rms.jpg
104 KB, 480x320
>>52898066
Ubuntu => shit DE, but decent repos
Mint => good DE, but ancient repos

Obvious solution is Cubuntu => Cinnamon DE + Ubuntu repos
>>
File: 1454121045840.jpg (19 KB, 500x321) Image search: [Google]
1454121045840.jpg
19 KB, 500x321
>>52899042
This so much
Official Cubuntu
>When?
>>
>>52898066
Mint. No contest there. It's not only more polished, but it's also not a botnet like Ubuntu. Unity sucks dicks too.

Of course Ubuntu derivatives like Xubuntu are a different matter. Xubuntu and Mint Xfce aren't all that different. Mint just comes with non-free software, uses it's own repositories, and Xfce is configured a little differently.

Personally though, I had a problem with my network using Mint. The connection wanted to constantly turn on and off, and I couldn't ever figure out how to fix it. Googling it didn't turn up much, so I'm not sure if it's a common issue. I ended up going with Manjaro Xfce instead, and the problem went away. As with Xubuntu vs Mint, I found that I like Manajro's default of Xfce a little better. It's purely a cosmetic difference though.
>>
>>52898287
who cares if the guy you live with is a pedo, just draw a moustache on and it's cool
>>
>>52899065
prolly a bit after Ubuntu 16.04 LTS is released, May perhaps
>>
>>52899131
Any source?
>>
>>52899147
http://www.cubuntu.fr/?q=node/25

They're working on it and it seems they plan to release in April
>>
>>52898066
Obviously Ubuntu. Mint is for retards
>>
>>52899232
>Mint is for retards

What do you mean by this?
>>
>>52898066
Xubuntu. Ubuntu plus xfce.
>>
>>52899353
>2016
>XFCE

Nice shilling grandpa
>>
>>52899430

Not that Anon, but:

Xubuntu is absolutely all right.
Brace yourself: I use Lubuntu-desktop.
It's lightweight and comfy.
>>
>>52899353
xubuntu is a fucking abomination, the worst thing happened to xfce.

debian+task-xfce-desktop or ubuntu minimal+xfce installed manually is the way to go
>>
>>52899592
Why is it an abomination?
>>
>>52899605
Because memes
>>
>>52899307
It's for retards because it has literally no benifit over Ubuntu
>>
>>52899793
and *buntu has no benefit over debian testing and stable from that perspective, what's your point?
>>
This thread perfectly showcases why more people don't switch to Linux. Too much autism and self-hatred.
>>
>>52899810
same goes for politics but i don't think it would be a good thing to eliminate fights in both politics and OS.
>>
>>52899839

I would agree if you people at least had solid arguments for shitting over every single distro and environment instead of just flinging memes around.
>>
File: 1398053432493.gif (75 KB, 737x700) Image search: [Google]
1398053432493.gif
75 KB, 737x700
>>52899865
same goes for politics desu.
yeah, people flinging shit is retarded, but there are a lot of nice places where this is not the case, pic related for example or everything that's not reddit or 4chan is really nice in that regard.
>>
>>52899804
I didn't even say that Ubuntu is better than Debian, I was just comparing it to Mint. What's your point?
>>
>>52899929
ubango is based on debian, mint is based on ubango, that's my point
>>
>>52899936
Who fucking cares? We're not talking about Debian or what distro is the best, we're talking about Ubuntu vs Mint.
>>
File: rezzetwr.gif (652 KB, 500x390) Image search: [Google]
rezzetwr.gif
652 KB, 500x390
>>52899936
yfw

>Debian - Cain, the cursed one; original, but nobody cares; some says he will return
>Ubuntu - 2d Generation, got killed by the 3rd Gen.
>Mint - 3rd Generation, the Antediluvians, basically demigods
>>
>>52899972
>being this autistic on a vietnamese kite surfing forum
>>
>>52899988

Also:
>Windows - basically Technocracy; they want to unite makind, but without creativity or real freedom
>Gentoo and other "hardcore" gnu/Linux folks - mages, but everything they're doing is complicated as fuck and simple mundanes will never understand them
>Arch users - no idea
>>
>>52900006
>realises that i'm right
>"y..you're just autistic!"
>>
>>52900059
Right about what exactly do you even claim to be?
>>
>>52898066
Mint. It's ubuntu done right.
>>
>>52900174
Right about that your comments are completely irrelevant in this thread.
>>
>>52900214
You don't even know which comments are mine. And they may be irrelevant to this thread but they are not irrelevant to what you said. Remember where you are, nobody even cares about staying on topic.
>>
>>52898066

Neither. Debian and all of its forks are shit.
>>
Anything but Arch is perfectly fine
>>
>>52900393
is there actually a difference between any distro? whats the big difference between arch and ubuntu except that arch uses pacman and ubuntu apt ? i dont see one...
>>
>>52900462

One of the top guys in the Debian organization went batshit crazy and killed himself over an NSA backdoor. That's one difference.
>>
>>52900462
Release model, package manager, packages (staying close to upstream or not), init system support, free or nonfree...
>>
>>52900486
He was not involved with debian in over 10 years. Stop spreading FUD.
>>
>>52900393
Debian is shit, it's fork's are okay.
>>
>>52900504
explain these to me.

also all linux systems are for free
>>
>>52898066
I preffer mint desu on mate/xfce ;

The only flavour on ubuntu i like is gnome;
>>
>>52900609
>all linux systems are for free
made me kek, now gtfo newfag
>>
>>52900667
name one that isnt
>>
>>52900689
Are you 12?
>>
>>52900719
>doesnt know the answer
>LOL U 12
>>
Depends
Mint doesnt have amazon botnet but ubuntu have better support
>>
Ubuntu.

Unless you're using LMDE, which nullifies every advantage afforded by choosing Mint (ergo using apt-get install for 2 fewer things), Mint is running on older shit in general.

Don't like Unity? Okay, just install Ubuntu Mint, or Kubuntu, or Xubuntu, or just use the minimal core iso and install Cinnamon itself because you fucking can. Linux Mint had its use a few years ago, but now it's just outdated trash for the laziest of the lazy people.
>>
>>52898066
xubuntu or mint xfce. I prefer xubuntu.
>>
>>52898310
/thread
>>
File: debian323.jpg (161 KB, 900x675) Image search: [Google]
debian323.jpg
161 KB, 900x675
Debian > Mint > Ubuntu
>>
>>52900689
Mint and *buntu use nonfree software by default.
>>
So... Ubuntu or Linux Mint?
>>
>>52900891
y come
>>
>>52900891
This
>>
>>52900746
So you are 12, okay, that explains a lot kid, just look for redhat enterprises.
>>
>>52898154
Fix your keyboard mate
>>
>>52901439
can't fix huge fingers on a small android phone unfortunately.
>>
>Shit vs shit with peanuts in it
>>
>>52898066
>Ubuntu or Delayed Ubuntu Shitty-Gnome-Fork
>>
>>52898275
Chill bro, why so easily wind up. Shitposters shitpost to bait people.
>>
>>52901459
Get a phablet?
>>
>>52901501
>phablet
I'm afraid it will fall down and shatter as i am quite clumsy.
>>
File: x-0004.jpg (203 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
x-0004.jpg
203 KB, 900x900
>>52898310
>Linux Mint is a frankenbuild Ubuntu LTS.
>Linux Mint doesn't even have their own complete repos, but is just re-using the ones from Ubuntu LTS.
>That's just inane and to lessen problems arising from that Linux Mint chose the retarded solution of disabling security updates for some packages like the kernel or Xorg server.
THIS
>>
Using Mint currently on my laptop. Also have Mint on my Media Server and main machine dual booting with Windows. Been using Mint since Mint 15 released and never looked back. Cinnamon is just so comfy and the out of box experience is great. The fact is looks like windows is what makes the decision easy for a lot of people looking to start using Linux for the first time.
>>
>>52898263
I don't like Unity, and not because of 'muh amazon spyware'.
Ubuntu used to be good. I used it from 9.10 to 14.04, it was a really good distro.
Then they dumbed down the user interface, and it started to get really annoying.
I installed KDE on it first. KDE had both a style and many options. But after a while it got all sluggish for some reason (never turned on too many desktop effects as my hardware is like 2008-era), so I said 'fuck it', backed up my projects and wrote Ubuntu over and installed Arch Linux.
I like ArchLinux the most because of AUR. I found many packages that simply doesn't exist/needs to be compiled for other distros.
I also like ArchLinux because I find it simpler than A LOT of other distros. This is my personal opinion but dpkg/apt was a mess, I couldn't connect to my Android device etc. on Ubuntu, but on ArchLinux it just 'werks'.

This is not shilling or anything, but just my opinion on a select few of Ganoo+Loonix distros.
>>
File: cinnamon.png (701 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
cinnamon.png
701 KB, 1920x1200
>>52898066
Why not LMDE?

On that thought, why did they base Mint on Ubuntu in the first place?
>>
>>52902434
because mint initially only was ubuntu with cinnamon and ffmpeg
>>
>>52898066
xubuntu, it's the comfiest *buntu

Mint is bloated garbage
>>
>>52902475
>uses buntu
>calls other distros bloated
i don't even like mint but fuck you
>>
mint is bad for the package ecosystem
or so im told
just use a non-unity variant of ubuntu like xubuntu
thats basically what mint is anyways
>>
>>52902574
Xubuntu minimal is significantly less bloated than mint

This is a fact
>>
>>52902434
Mint people have no idea how to do packaging.
LMDE has frankenbuild-packages from Linux Mint for their stuff.

LMDE1 ended in total disaster already and LMDE2 doesn't look much better.

Just taking a look at their outdated and buggy systemd should be enough:
https://packages.debian.org/jessie/systemd
http://packages.linuxmint.com/search.php?keyword=systemd&release=Betsy&section=any
Debian stable is at 215-17, while LMDE is stuck on 215-12.
Read the Debian Changelog to see what they missed in over a year.
>>
>>52898088
IMHO Cinnamon is a shitty IDE and it caused a lot of various problems on different distros for me.
xfce is the most solid I met so far and I don't see why not go straight up buntu flavors.
>>
>>52898066
Ubuntu

Once the amazon spyware is removed, Unity is actually amazing. Best DE I've used. Also the packages are better-updated.

Ubuntu phone looks interesting as well.
>>
>>52903337
DE*
>>
Ubuntu has the best support of any distro, if you have software you need for school you'll be stuck with either an Ubuntu installer or installing manually on anything else. That said, I don't know if Mint can use Ubuntu installers.
>>
>>52898189
How old is your macbook? I have one from 2005 that I´m considering installing linux on.
>>
>>52903835
first macbook was released in 2006, retard
>>
>>52903887
Was just an approximation, didn´t actually know when it came out. :^)
Thread replies: 127
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.