[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/SQT/ Stupid Questions Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 35
File: 1408416418745.jpg (18 KB, 354x358) Image search: [Google]
1408416418745.jpg
18 KB, 354x358
/SQT/ Stupid Questions Thread
Old thread hit bump limit.

Post your stupid/simple questions here so a new thread won't have to be made for it. Redirect any anons here that post questions/tech support threads outside of /sqt/. Make an attempt to google before asking. Don't bump, you are not entitled to an answer.
>>
Where can I get a cheap Windows 7 Pro or Ultimate key? I remember seeing a subreddit where people would sell them for like $10-15.
>>
Is it worth upgrading modem/router if I don't change my internet service plan?
>>
What's the telegram group for /g/
>>
>>52885772
Daz loader is not a option?
>>
>>52885748
I am trying to decide where to start on my journey to code stuff. More a "why not", than an actual reason or goal. However there are a lot of varieties on the back side I need to consider. As such I am trying to identify core questions I need to answer, before I even start asking questions. That help cut down on stupid questions.
Anyone seen some big flowcharts covering these types of things, or how to better break down and identify things? Here is what I got so far.

What Language? (C++, Java, PHP, ...)
What Interface? (CLI, TUI, GUI, ...)
What Editor? (Code Blocks, Emacs, Vim, Visual Studio, ...)
What License? (Free, FOSS, GPL, Open, Propitiatory, ...)
What Goal? (Make game, Control robot, Get job, Become power user, ...)
What Life Expectancy? (Big thing for a now, never going to die, standard for next 10 years, ...)
What Market Size? (Only runs one device, runs on everything, …)
What Support? (active community, one dude not dead yet, abandoned years ago, …)
>>
>>52885772
I'd give you my Dreamspark one, but I'm already using it.
>>
My laptop had 3 out of 4 USB ports not working so I sent it to tech support and the guy told me he had never seen bad USB ports on a laptop. As I had the same problem with my old (non laptop) computer, I wonder, is this just anecdotal evidence of him, do I have bad luck, or did I mistreat these ports somehow? I dont remember doing anything bad with them... I mean sure sometimes I would plug out stuff without the safety thing, but not that many times really.

>>52885772
What? Just pirate it? Why give money to thoore fucks?
>>
File: 1450828451801.jpg (45 KB, 728x728) Image search: [Google]
1450828451801.jpg
45 KB, 728x728
where can i download free hq website templates? google leads to old as fuck templates only.
>>
Are there any downsides to filling a non-system drive to more than 90% total capacity? I'm aware that windows will warn you if one of your drives is over this limit, but is this actually a relevant problem for non-system drives?
>>
>>52885772
your thinking of softwareswap, buts its all stolen site license keys. just use ms toolkit.
>>
bow do you shop haircolor aleays wondered what yolandi would look like as a red head
>>
>>52886162
Who's she
>>
now for my question
i have $250 USD to spend in amazon credit, i want to get an ssd (I'm thinking the 850 evo 250gb) and either 2x 1tb hdds or 1x 2tb hdd to keep games on. (i currently have a 120gb kingston ssd and 4tb wd red for storage but my load times are atrocious with only 5400rpm)
is windows software raid 0 worth it for a purely gaming drive, or am i better off with just getting a single drive? also, which brand should i get?
>>
>>52886260
The only thing I know of is paging issues that you could get. Basically many systems use part of the hard drive as RAM over flow and error protection. Some setups can be hurt by it others would never notice the difference. If you never max out your RAM then people say you would be fine, other say to keep double your RAM amount free at all times. Some setups directly allocate the space (usually named Swap or Paging) others just use empty space as needed.

I leave between 1 or preferably 4GB of flex space as I am very paranoid and rarely get close to maxing my stuff.
>>
>>52886430
Do you have a Z97 motherboard with a case with insane great airflow?
>>
>>52886443
Thank you
>>
>>52886260
your write performance will start to go to shit and new files may get horribly fragmented, but not really, no.
>>
>>52885748
Interview in 90 minutes. Hold me /g/
>>
>>52886113
C (not c++) and Lisp
CLI
emacs

else doesn't matter for now
Get K&R C and SICP and start learning motherfucker!
>>
When was the last time you've seen someone genuinely affected by malware?

Guy came to my shop today, he actually opened a shady looking archive from a shady looking email, of unknown origin.
I've had a chance to witness proper ransomware for the first time. Everything encrypted and a link to some tor gate.
Here i thought that stuff was slowly becoming a legend, what with the plethora of built-in anti-malware-scan-defender shite.
>>
>>52886463
antec p182se. i do not plan to ever stop using this case.
my mobo is z68.
>>
>>52886540
why bother going? you will fail the beer test anyway that practice needs to be banned
>>
>>52886540
good luck anon!
>>
>>52886566
i work for an MSP
on of our clients is a law firm
one of their lawyers opened a fake fedex email and got ransomware on his pc
it spread to their mapped network drives and wiped out everything. their entire business.
we restored it from an offsite backup.
>>
>>52886577
>beer test
wut?
>>
Okay /g/, I need your help for the final piece of my build.

I need the cheapest fucking ATX tower available that isn't going to come with a malfunctioning power button and at least 2 SATA slots
>>
>>52886589
>>52886638
I'm retarded.
>>
Is there a way in appchanx to set a specific folder where the images are saved ?
>>
what are IT architects actually doing?
>>
>>52886638
the interviewers usually consider rather or not they would have a beer with the subject of the interview if the answer is no it means you will probably not get hired
>>
>>52886577
I was asking to see if you could use a M2 SSD.

The 850 Evo is really good, you will like it, get 2 1TB WD Blacks with the rest of the money.
>>
Could I reuse a Newegg box for a RMA or should I use a new box?
>>
>>52886720
dont RMA it stop acting entitled
>>
>>52886618
Holy shit that does sound scary.
Especially considering our clients' idea of backup is usually a duplicate folder on the same fucking hdd. Most agree to at least set up a small nas though.
>>
>>52886708
>m2 ssd
i fucking wish, but i cant justify replacing the mobo yet.

>>52886683
>mouthbreathing neckbeards need not apply
i dont think his has ever been a problem for me.
>>
>>52886800
the beer test has nothing to do sith ones ability to perform his job it should not be a consideration for emoyment
>>
>>52886720
just make sure all the original shipping labels are covered.
>>
>>52885946
I would reccomend bridging your modem if its a modem router combo. I was getting 8 or so down on mine and then i bridged it to a dedicated router and got 24 down
>>
Is there a webapp that helps you find the closest local store that sells x item?
>>
>>52886918
what iten is so specific you cant just walk in and have a look at several places you lazy bastard
>>
>>52886955
Tools are there to satisfy your laziness you faggot. Let me be lazy, you self-righteous turd.
>>
How do i get best sound quality out of windows 7 with no dedicated audio card?
>>
>>52886985
go fuck yourself cunt learn to love not being lazy no wonder no one will hire you
>>
>>52887003
go take your faggotry elsewhere. technology is the embodiment of laziness.
>>
>>52887018
enjoy never working a decent job
>>
>>52885748
Is there any program that'll let me search and install packages from ppa's without needing to open my browser and search launchpad?

I want something similar to yaourt, but i'm not sure if it even exists.
>>
When will .jpg be replaced by a lossless format? im tired to see .jpg that look horrible as fuck.
>>
File: getfuktnerd.jpg (23 KB, 480x314) Image search: [Google]
getfuktnerd.jpg
23 KB, 480x314
>>52887031
>>
>>52886162
I wanna breed this so bad.
>>
Question. I have an Ubuntu webserver (in my house) running a small website (I have a small business in repairing computers). Works fine.

I am going to register a domain name for this webserver. And I would like to add an e-mail address to hand out to my customers.
Is this something I can just do by myself once I have a domain name? Or should I host this e-mail address by my e-mail provider?
>>
What p2p file sharing software do you guys use?
>>
>>52887227
https://askubuntu.com/questions/227209/simple-method-to-install-a-mail-server

>>52887279
qbittorrent, but I want the world to switch to something better
>>
>>52887279
If you're talking about torrents; uTorrent (botnet edition, but always works well on Windows). Azureus if you want to go full bloat. Deluge works for some people, but requires some tweaking.
>>
>>52887279
>Thinking I would share my software. I spent a lot of time making it. Plus my sentient AI already warned me never to share or make copies of her. I am worried she is becoming a yandere.
>>
Is it possible to boot a pc from an external HD? If so, will it be slower?
>>
>>52887333
Thanks anon. Looks too complex for me....
>>
>>52887382
On Windows, this is not possible. Technically it is, but Microsoft doesn't want you to, so made it impossible. Same for Apple's OS.
On most Linux distro's it should work fine. I know this for sure for all Debian-based distro's. An external harddisk will be recognized and usable just like it's an internal harddisk. I don't think Linux makes a difference between these types of harddisks.
>>
Just recently got a test and development server for a small company i work for but i'm new to this whole sysadmin thing.

How do you handle updates, manually or cron, do i need a firewall on it, how about backups, how o you guys manage it in general, i'm rather clueless? help pls
>>
>>52887409
Even on Windows 10? Can't you make a portable installation?
>>
>>52887442
Yeah well I heard that Windows 8 Enterprise had some portable "Windows To Go" feature, but I never tried it and never heard anyone about it. You can try it out but I think that's about it. Google that shit
>>
File: whatisthisijust.gif (172 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
whatisthisijust.gif
172 KB, 400x400
@loliarchs or @furrygen2fun
>>
Can I run a R9 390x and a FX9370 with a CoolerMaster 600W PSU ? I know it's very demanding, but I don't want to buy a new PSU.
>>
>>52887442
I've booted a Windows 7 installation on other PCs but you'll have to be lucky to get working drivers.
Same thing with Linux, BTW, but it's 100% going to boot and you just need to reconfigure stuff.
>>
>>52887345
all 3 of those are shite
>>
>>52887575
> mfw all Windows torrent clients are shite
> mfw I have no face
Transmission on Linux is great though
>>
#include <stdio.h>

int main()
{
for(int i = 1; i <= 100; i++)
{
if(i % 15 == 0)
printf("FizzBuzz\n");
else if(i % 3 == 0)
printf("Fizz\n");
else if(i % 5 == 0)
printf("Buzz\n");
else
printf("%s\n", i);
}
return 0;
}

This crashes before printing anything, any idea why?
>>
How can I make sure that a pirated movie with subtitles will play on a work computer?

It only has windows media player and no codecs, and won't let me install anything because permissions.
>>
File: Capture.png (77 KB, 908x694) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
77 KB, 908x694
So I've got this infecting my Vuze. Every time I start it up I get this popup.

Not really a big deal, I'm going to do a clean install. Just curious how something infects fucking Vuze.
>>
>>52887730
%s wants a string, you have an integer, so use %d
>>
>>52887831
vlc portable
>>
If I want to build a computer for gaming do I need or would I ever need a 6 core processor or ddr4 RAM?
>>
>>52887911
not now, but in the future probably.
>>
Is there a way to do batch processes in handbrakecli?
I have around 500 mkvs i need to hard encode the subtitles.
>>
>>52887911

You won't need any of that stuff until it gets pretty cheap, couple years from now at the earliest.
>>
>>52887939
use ffmpeg instead.
>>
I want to watch my Futurama DVDs on my laptop but I can't.
Whenever I insert the disc, the drive spins up for under a second, then makes monotonous clicking noises. Trying to open up the disc directory in explorer takes ages and ends with explorer telling me there is no disc in the drive. Trying to play the disc via VLC also doesn't work, it produces the same errors as when no disc is found.
The DVDs can be played fine on a DVD player.
I can watch other DVDs on my laptop, just not these.
Reinstalling the drivers for the drive achieved nothing.

Is this due to some funky copy protection shenanigans or what?
>>
>>52887939
>hard encode the subtitles

why wouls you do this i hope not for sharing purposes i hate hard encoded subtitles
>>
Can anyone explain to me why JavaScript is being shoehorned into everything lately?

My theories:
>JavaScript developers are a dime a dozen, so using it everywhere reduces cost
>It's being optimized and developed out the ass by big companies like Google (as opposed to nonprofits) for those sweet sweet adbux
>Some self-proclaimed "guru"s declared that JavaScript was the wave of the future, and San Francisco ate it up (like they did with Smalltalk)
>Prototypical inheritance makes it hard to dig yourself into holes like you can in languages with classes and makes many patterns easy

Is there something I'm missing?
>>
>>52887857
No idea. It indicates either an infection of their advertising system or a serious security breach in the client itself. Either way it's fucked and you should bad for using Vuze anyway.
>>
>>52887961
Care to be more specific?

>>52887975
Nope this is for personal means.
Ps4/xone media players dot not support softsubs, hadsubs is the only way.
>>
>>52888017
https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/HowToBurnSubtitlesIntoVideo
>>
anyone got a quick ffmpeg (or similar) command to convert from ALAC, either to FLAC (without losing anything) or high bitrate MP3?
>>
>>52888004
>Either way it's fucked and you should bad for using Vuze anyway.
I agree, Anon. I fucking hate Vuze. If you have a better torrent that isn't uTorrent I'd love to switch over.
>>
>>52886113
You're really approaching this from the wrong angle. Do you think musicians start playing music with a list of instruments and their pros and cons?

Just find something you want to do and use the appropriate tools to accomplish it, most of those issues you raised seem downright masturbatory.
>>
>>52888048
>I agree, Anon. I fucking hate Vuze. If you have a better torrent that isn't uTorrent I'd love to switch over.
I'm with you bro. /g/ once made /g/torrent but since the aspergers couldn't agree on the logo the whole project got shitcanned
>>
>>52885748
How to steal a Wi-Fi password?
>>
>>52887831
Hardcode the subs. I don;t know how to do it, but it can be done.
>>
>>52888078
> become a shoulder surfer
> or let your victim use Windows 10, it will automatically share wifi passwords :^)
>>
>>52888004
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/List_of_recommended_Windows_software#BitTorrent_clients

>>52887857
Run adwcleaner.
>>
>>52888078
Cracking might be easier. If its WEP or WPA(2) with WPS it can be cracked easily
>>
>>52888046
ffmpeg -i op.alac faggot.flac
>>
help /g/
how do i add plank dock to the startup, every time i log into the system i have to manually start plank it sucks. i use ubuntu 15.10 btw
>>
>>52888382
what wm are you using?
>>
>>52887968
Linux or windows?
>>
>>52888441
Win7 SP1 64 bit
>>
Where would I have to go to to learn how to write a deobfuscator for a certain language?
>>
My raid0 drives are getting slow on loading thumbnails/files, it's heavily fragmented, does defragging the drives cause any kind of problem?
>>
>>52888406
pic related
>>
>>52888449
it may be corrupted (maybe intentionqlly) You may try reading raw data with linux and watch out for io errors
>>
>>52888462
Nope, except slowdown while doing it. Also fragmentation is only serious problem for hdds, so if you have ssds one of them may be failing
>>
>>52888510
> corrupted
Then why do the DVDs still work in a regular DVD player?

[spoiler]Also how do I Linux in the most pleb-friendly way?[/spoiler]
>>
>>52886414
>she
>>
>>52888551
Because it can be a minor filesystem or file corruption in a not important place, like a useless file intentionally set beyond the size of the disk.

Ubuntu Live CD is bretty good for it desu
>>
>>52888598
I'll look into it, thank you.
>>
>>52886162
Silex templates
>>
>>52888382
plank &
in your xinitrc
or your wm/de's startup file
>>
File: XMP-I5-6600K-BOX_b.jpg (138 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
XMP-I5-6600K-BOX_b.jpg
138 KB, 500x500
Hi /g/

Is skylake still a meme? I want to build a workstation PC that will last me at least a couple of years and i have a tight budget for one, which is around 1200 euro(1350 usd ATM) I mainly work with 3dsmax and the adobe suite (ps, illustrator)
My thoughts were:
i5 6600k, some msi overclocked gtx970, some asus motherboard with 4 ddr4 slots for upgrades, 16 gigs of ddr4 ram, samsung evo 850 250gig ssd, 2tb wd black hard drive, a decent-ish psu, of course, some cheap ass case and probably a cpu cooler because i think that i'd like to overclock my processor.

Is ddr4 neccessary if i want this pc to be upgradable in the future? Is skylake a meme and should i consider the i7 6700k? any input is welcome.

If anyone wants, i can give you a complete list of parts with links that i have bookmarked on my home PC.
>>
how do you save online links in ranger
>>
>>52888728
thanks anon
>>
Is there any add-on for Firefox that lets you load specific content from your disk rather than download it? Kinda like the disk cache except I have more control over it.
>>
Do you guys know the easiest way to set up Mac OSX on VirtualBox?
>>
I no nothing about fixing anything iOS. Is there a good place that can teach me to fix common problems?
>>
>>52889000
YT

>>52888975
By not setting it up

>>52888785
>Is skylake still a meme?
Asking about memes is a meme. Ethier buy it or don't. Any pre owned Haswell refresh build is still amazing
>>
>>52889058

that doesnt answer my ddr4 question, and if i get a ddr4 mobo i'll have to stick with skylake
>>
>>52889179
If you buy Haswell and DDR3 the only thing you need to upgrade is the GPU. You would have to buy DDR4 for the next build. If you buy DDR4 by the time you need to upgrade the CPU you should expect to buy a new mobo and RAM anyways. In both cases you should only upgrade the GPU and buy a new CPU/RAM/Mobo when your current is outdated
>>
>>52889058
I need it unfortunately. I've got a Mavericks .DMG-file but it just gives me a black screen when I boot it.
>>
I had a Windows 10 and 8.1 partitions, I deleted the 8.1 partition, but the system still asks me if I want to boot up either partition instead of just taking me to the Windows 10 partition.

Is there a way to fix this?
>>
>>52889221
this is for work with CADs strictly. my budget doesnt let me to get a quadro k2200 so i'm sticking with a 970. I think you're mixing this up with a gaming pc.
>>
>>52885772
If this were reddit and I had a reddi account I would give you my dreamspark key but just use Daz bruh
>>
>>52889241
You'll need an ISO munchkins
>>
>>52889258
windows boot repair should take care of it
>>
>>52889258
bcdedit
>>
>>52889288
yah, found the Niresh one.
>>
>>52889258
You can delete it from msconfig if the other two ideas don't work
>>
how can i make money by building compters/selling them to normies?
>>
>>52889761
cow2beef.exe
>>
File: 1375693685568.jpg (35 KB, 720x603) Image search: [Google]
1375693685568.jpg
35 KB, 720x603
Looking to root my android phone (note 4 from sprint) to get rid of all the crapware and get adblock for mobile, but I've never rooted a phone before. Are there any good guides to do so out there that you guys would recommend?
>>
>>52889761
charisma and confidence will give you all the leverage you need to charge them enough to make a good profit. that's literally it. If you act like an aspie/nerd people won't take you seriously
>>
>>52889761
build small apu machines, set them up with kodibuntu or whatever it's called these days and market them as htpcs
>>
>>52889892
i dont have that and i dont particularly want to have that, can i do it without? maybe copypaste.
>>52889893
im not sure that will work, people want a safe recognised option probably
>>
File: Reference GTX 980 TI.jpg (228 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Reference GTX 980 TI.jpg
228 KB, 1920x1080
What version of the GTX 980 TI do you recommend and why?
>>
File: IMG_20160208_092537.jpg (819 KB, 2592x1944) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160208_092537.jpg
819 KB, 2592x1944
What do I even do with this? How do I know if an old piece of tech will work with another?
Pic is Pentium 2 processor SL2S6 from 98
>>
What software does /g/ use to try to recover files from a dead flash drive?
>>
File: King_of_Fighters_2002_Art_01.jpg (250 KB, 2063x2308) Image search: [Google]
King_of_Fighters_2002_Art_01.jpg
250 KB, 2063x2308
any ideas? log report:

Faulting application name: KingOfFighters2002UM.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x54f5417c
Faulting module name: DINPUT8.dll, version: 6.3.9600.17415, time stamp: 0x54504929
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00007bfa
Faulting process ID: 0x8fc
Faulting application start time: 0x01d16386a2154aae
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\The King of Fighters 2002 Unlimited Match\KingOfFighters2002UM.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\DINPUT8.dll
Report ID: 054312e7-cf7a-11e5-82f0-18cf5e8482c2
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:
>>
>>52890111
EVGA has great RMA's in the unlikely event something goes wrong.
>>
File: rig.png (83 KB, 1229x611) Image search: [Google]
rig.png
83 KB, 1229x611
Please rate, fix, and help me finish my first build, /g/.

Still need a case and keyboard. Everything I can find looks like overpriced 1337 gam3r shit.

Actual price so far is $1,004 with rebates and sales.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/rvzncf
>>
>>52890399
Forgot to add, I have an old 1TB HDD. I know you guys are going to jump me for that so don't worry.
>>
File: Craigslist.png (372 KB, 1007x1259) Image search: [Google]
Craigslist.png
372 KB, 1007x1259
So like, anyone else ever deal with something like this from craigslist? It's looking like an attempted scam to me, as the first and 2nd e-mail they replied to are different, so I'm pretty sure it's just a bit meant to get personal info, they only got my phone number though I guess
>>
i have an exam on it in 8 hours
and i've never written a single line of pascal
tell me all you can in order for me not to get a shit grade
pls
>>
File: j_peek.gif (62 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
j_peek.gif
62 KB, 600x600
Hypothetically, say you were going to bait pedophiles with pictures of kids on omegle or something by acting like a kid, get them to reveal information about themselves, and then blackmail them to keep their secret (say like $500).

How would you go about getting them to transfer you money anonymously, so that on the off chance you couldn't be tracked down by the pedophile or police?

My theory was to connect to a vpn at a library, McDonald's, or a college campus or something and get them to buy you a bunch of virtual cash on something like runescape for a throwaway character.
>>
>>52890553
Thats called entrapment, and you would be the one in legal trouble.
>>
>>52890553
runescape is still a thing?
>>
File: 1413782853214.png (387 KB, 600x632) Image search: [Google]
1413782853214.png
387 KB, 600x632
>>52890597
I know it'd be illegal, I was just curious. Saw a post about a guy that did it for profit about 6 months back or so over on /b/, was curious about the general technical feasibility.

>>52890654
It's not exactly that popular anymore, but it's still alive and kicking. Haven't played it in years, but figured it'd be an easy example of buyable and transferable virtual currency.
>>
Is this a good deal?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-T420S-14-0-Laptop-2nd-Generation-Intel-Core-i7-2640M-2-80-GHz-4-GB-Mem-/291642435493?hash=item43e73e67a5
Its Lenovo T420S 14.0 for $319
>>
Not sure if anyone here knows this but:

I have a NDS emulator on my PC and my android phone for playing pokemon emerald and platinum. How do I transfer the safegames in between both?

The .nds file does not contain it because it starts a new game as soon as I switch the emulator or change the name.

So how to I transfer my safes?
>>
Java fag here

How would I write a program that reads a number of codes and, for each code, prints all the digits that are contained in
it. For instance, Assume that the digits will only be 0, 1 or 2. Given the following codes as input then:
ABC120BCQ
BG220NM0
KJL0A1MK12
the output should be as follows:
ABC120BCQ has the following digits: 120
BG220NM0 has the following digits: 2200
KJL0A1MK12 has the following digits: 0112

You'd have to input the strings in but how would you extract the ints out of them?
>>
>>52890735
Not really. That's pretty standard. The CPU is okay ish for general use, you'll have to upgrade the RAM
>>
I tried to downgrade my Moto G from Lolipop to Kitkat and now it barely functions, as it's somehow running both simultaneously.
Tried every way to reset it, even did the bootloader options and none of them worked.
Is there any way to completely wipe everything on the phone (something like DBan) and manually install Kitkat?
>>
>>52890733
You'd be better of doing anything else thats profitable.
Like CSGO skins.Plus you can fill your wasted time
This is so not a profitable scheme. You'd be better off working as a mexican getting $2/hr.Cause your effort is going to be way more then your gain
>>
>>52890778
>imultaneously.
Thats not how kernels work
You can probly find a stock rooted rom and install it with odin.
>>
>>52890798
I'm getting the old Moto splash-screen but it starts up to Lolipop.
I don't know man, it's confusing me too.
>>
>>52890399
double check your mobo and cpu are compatible, you probably wont need that much ram, you probably wont need that many PSU watts. if you are gaming get a better monitor (more than 60 hz)
>>
File: 1445368012238.png (822 KB, 438x480) Image search: [Google]
1445368012238.png
822 KB, 438x480
>>52890781
I have a 14 year old cousin that I could give a cut of the profits to for help in baiting, but again, this is just purely hypothetical. I don't know about it being that bad of a scheme if you were willing to get your hands dirty though, and we're smart about it.

One hook, line, and sinker would net you more cash than a full time minimum wage week.
>>
Why is it that I have a 50 Mbps download speed, but it takes 2 minutes to download a 4mb mp3 file through my browser?
>>
>>52890817
You can change splash screens.I got rid of the version one and its just a black image.
Check out xda and find a rom you like and clear the phone to stock with root then build from there
>>
R9 390 or wait for pascal and polaris?
>>
>>52890893
Throttling perhaps?

There's a difference between "MBps" and "Mbps" too. Bits and bytes aren't the same thing, look into it.

Check speedtest.Net to see your current speed, there are other programs to check for throttling.

Could also be shitty servers, or few/shiet seeders if you're pirating.
>>
>>52890918
Just wait a little while if you have the cash.
>>
File: 1401569704035.png (413 KB, 464x700) Image search: [Google]
1401569704035.png
413 KB, 464x700
Will a R7 370 be able to play games like Skyrim with a good amount of mods, high graphics, and run at a good frame rate? First time building a rig

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/yTFvTW

All the parts missing I already have, but on here is the rest I need
>>
>>52890842
pcpartpicker tells me they're compatible, and other people on the site have completed builds with the same combination, but I would appreciate one of you to tell me I'm a faggot and they're incompatible before I buy them.

How many hz would you recommend, and what wattage should I aim for if I plan to overclock?
>>
>>52890862
Lets say you get 2 pedos a week at $100 each. You work a 12 hour shift every day.You work 84 hours a week.
Thats ~2.40/hr.
Then you split it 50/50 with your cousin. you're working for $1.20/hr
Thats assuming you always catch 2 pedos a week.
Mexican bean farmers are making more then you.
>>
>>52888059
At least with instruments you know what sounds gonna come out before you buy. In this case it isn't the same
>>
>>52890945
I'd be looking into 1070-1080 territory, or whatever they'll be named. Figure that will come out June. Wish some benchmarks would show up so I could get a feel.
>>
So what does /g/ thinks about this build
Its gonna be used for inventory managing and light gaming, things like Warrframe and MechWarrior Online at high-ish 1080p, expecting 60fps
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/NpgXTW
For the gpu it depends on avaliability on my local store, it could be a 960 or a 380
>>
How do I force myself to use flash again? I haven't been able to use any sites that use it in months. I simply just got tired of how unsecure those monkeys at adobe allow it to be.
>>
>>52890975
Frankly I think you could make far more out-of a pedo for keeping their dirty secret. You know how much chat logs and nude pictures would ruin a closet pedo's life?

Fired from job, possible divorce (if married), getting socially ostracized, etc
>>
>>52890199
any help please
>>
>>52891038
You're entraping them. There is no guarantee the person they are talking to is who they claim. This is why 99% of chris hansen's cases were dismissed. They sure as hell arent going to pay you anything.
Unless you're using bitcoin there is no way to not because with money. Even then your bitcoin address is know known and you can be exposed on the registry with how you move your money.

Its not worth the legal trouble nor the pitiful amounts of money you would get.

Why are you so caught up on this?
Go make real money
>>
I'm new to Linux, I know when you pick a distro it comes with a pre-installed DE and some programs, like how Kubuntu comes with Dolphin, Gwenview, etc. If you installed another DE manually does it come with any progams, or just the DE itself? Like if you install Linux Mint Cinnamon but then install KDE, will you have all the K* programs like Konsole, KUser, Dolphin, etc.?
>>
>>52890399
>>52890972
halp pls

Trying to get this all done and ordered today.
>>
>>52890972
well i have a 620w on a similar setup. i suppose it wouldnt hurt (beyond cost) to play it safe and get more.

depends on how you like your framerate and money.
>>
>>52891167
Sometimes yes, sometimes no. It depends on the package manager. Are you planning on installing KDE on Mint?
>>
>>52891184
Looks fine but get a 144mhz monitor
>>
>>52891235

Not that was just an example off the top of my head, I know there's a KDE version of Mint anyways. I guess maybe a better example would be if you're setting up something like LFS or Arch, that comes with nothing out of the box, and you install the DE, do you have the typical default apps as well or just the raw DE? Or are there options for both, or does it depend on the DE?
>>
>>52891142
Just a guy playing civ 5 right now m8. Personally, I'm set monetarily for the foreseeable future. Was just curious about the hypothetical possibility of such an endeavor.
>>
>>52891205
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182330

Would 600W be enough to OC? $40 for a good PSU would allow me to spend more on a better monitor.
>>
>>52891294
Never be cheap with a psu. You can cause damage and regret it later
You should be fine with a 700. 750 if you want to add in things later
>>
What free antivirus should I use, besides common sense. Currently using avast.
>>
>>52891294
600 is plenty for a single gpu and any amount of overclocking
>>
>>52891285
LFS doesn't have a package manager, AFAIK.
In Arch, there's a meta-package called plasma-meta with 24 packages included, and another just called plasma with 32 packages, then just the desktop as plasma-desktop.

I think it just depends on the package manager.
>>
>>52891345
Cool cool, I'll downgrade to this 700w
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438066&cm_re=evga_700w-_-17-438-066-_-Product

Now I just need to find a reasonable 144hz monitor and a decent keyboard.
>>
>>52891294
I hope that you're not implying that Rosewill is good.
>>
>>52891423
This is my first build, man. I don't know shit.

I already added this EVGA to my build though.
>>52891404
Same price and 700w.
>>
File: ZC27401-D-4-29.jpg (38 KB, 870x870) Image search: [Google]
ZC27401-D-4-29.jpg
38 KB, 870x870
Hey faggots, is this shit compatible with input/output or only output?

I need to connect this shit http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41ZziI%2B8%2BUL._SY355_.jpg to this shit http://h10003.www1.hp.com/digmedialib/prodimg/lowres/c03994539.png

Thanks.
>>
>>52891399

Oh I see, so basically there are options for both. Thanks for the help.
>>
>>52891478
That is a female connector
>>
>>52891294
if you are looking for more money, get less ram and a worse ssd
>>
I'm having a retard moment /g/

int add(int a, int b){
int sum=a+b;
return sum;
}

In my comments, do I call this a method or a function?

eg
//this is a function to add two ints

or

//this is a method to add two ints
>>
Is 4GB of RAM sufficient for a Skylake i5/R9 380 4GB build?
>>
>>52891478
(it's a vga/usb adapter)
>>
>>52891484
No problem. It's nice when people don't (get) yell(ed at) here.
>>
>>52891478
This will go from VGA output to HDMI input on a monitor.
>>
>>52891521
4gb ram is sufficent for browsing facebook and nothing else cause the browsers take up 4gb
>>
>>52891521
You're gonna want 8gb nowadays. It's not that expensive, so really no excuse not to.
>>
>>52891540
sorry, it's a vga/usb adapter.
>>
File: Untitled-1.png (133 KB, 1291x805) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-1.png
133 KB, 1291x805
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/PbKH6h
Just need some input on this build before I actually buy it. Am I missing anything important?
>>
How decent are Raid enclosures? I'm looking for a quiet 4-bay (3.5")
>>
>>52890259
halp. i wanna play the game but it crashes..
>>
File: crying haha.png (94 KB, 320x320) Image search: [Google]
crying haha.png
94 KB, 320x320
>>52891729
>nvidia 3.5
>>
>>52891752
Yeah, I know. No way around it.
>>
Alright, last plea for help before I scrap my build and buy a PS4.

Help me find a decent monitor for a gaming rig, please.
>>
>>52891776
just buy a PS4

You PC will be depreciated by next fall
>>
>>52891848
Why's this?
>>
>>52891913
New generation of cards incoming.
>>
>>52891913
>>52891947
this, And PS4 games are optimized for the hardware, and are guaranteed to run at an enjoyable level, and it will be supported for the next couple years at least

The price to performance ratio can't be beat.
>>
>>52891979
>90% of games are not console anymore.
>>
>>52891979
There are like no games for any current gen.Its all shitty franchise or gimmick games.A few AAA games came out but its also on the PC.
>>
>>52891947
Is it really going to render high end cards obsolete? I'd be surprised if we see more than 40% improvement at the top end by then.
>>
>>52891991
>90% of games are complete trash
>>
>>52891745
for fuck sake just go to logical increments or r/buildapc or tomshardwareforums or literally fucking anywhere and read the guides they have.
>>
What's the difference between single ported and dual ported register files?
>>
Are there any good offline navigation applications for android?
>>
>>52885748
Given that one does not have access to a Windows CD...
How can I remove a potentially fud from my system - I've wiped my hard drive with factory reset (to win. 8.1) then upgraded it to 10.
How can I be sure that I'm not part of some nasty botnet still?
>>
>>52885748
why is it just youtube that has shit loading during night hours? no other site is as laggy as youtube.

a 10 min vid will take about 15 minutes to load. it seems to happen after 8pm every day. any work arounds to this?
>>
>>52892691
You're probly being throttled during peak hours
>>
I have like 600 gb of series that I want to move to my other pc (because the other one is gonna get wiped) what is the most space efficient way I can compress it.
>>
If my friend sends me a hard drive and I download a game on it through steam, would it work as is if he signed into his steam account and tried using it?
He has extremely shit internet and has a data cap.
>>
i5 6400 or i5 4460 for gaming performance? Skylake is clocked lower but has turbo mode or something? How to check if motherboard can do this? Also does DDR4 RAM make a difference in anything?
>>
>>52892620
desu uninstall windows.

If it's a prebuilt you might be able to boot from a usb and use the key that came with it.

Or you could pirate it.
>>
>>52892903
None.There is no point/gain in compressing compressed data.
>>
File: 1454953924299.jpg (77 KB, 536x679) Image search: [Google]
1454953924299.jpg
77 KB, 536x679
I have a xeon motherboard, no cpu fan inputs on it. Currently connected the cpu fans to 3pin tp molex split into a single sata, powers the fans fine but they are at FULL BLAST. Anyone know of a cheap solution to control my fans?
>>
Hi /gee/, Can I upload media to a websever just to watch it on other devices not on the same network? Can other people access it if they go looking in my apache directories? How can I prevent that? If they do access it, will I get in trouble? I'm new to the whole VPS thing.
>>
>>52892948
Unplug them when its too loud, and plug them back in when you're smouldering
>>
>>52892972
You can setup a dlna or a kodi server on it and connect that way(optimal)
>>
>>52892927
I just want to shrink size so that copying is easier
>>
>>52885748
Do you know any programs with which you can change default playback speakers/headphones? Access at system tray should be good
>>
Is there a music player out there for Android that will let me customize how it shuffles? Mainly I'm trying to find a way to get it to switch to a different artist after every song when I set my whole collection to shuffle
>>
How do I get rid of these fucks? Have a shit ton on an external HDD. Windows won't let me remove them.
>>
>>52893110
You're going to spend hours compressing and getting 1mb smaller files.
Media formats are already compressed. You cannot compress compressed files.
Buy a 1tb drive, or setup an ftp server and transfer it that way
>>
>>52893139
Mount the drive in Linux and remove it from there
>>
>>52893139
Safe mode or use a liveusb
>>
>been using github for 3 years
>recently switched to gitlab

is this gonna make me hate myself later on? should i just stick with github?
>>
Is there any keepass app on android that doesn't look like ass?
>>
>>52885748
good monitor arm for sit/stand desk?
>>
>>52893279
>not setting up your own git server
>2016
Github is best for its worldwide community, for everything else: just set up your own server :^)
>>
File: calibree.png (174 KB, 1147x585) Image search: [Google]
calibree.png
174 KB, 1147x585
Anyone experienced with Calibre? I'd been using it just fine, but now it's having problems opening PDFs

It can still open epub and such, but I've been forced to open pdfs in browser
>>
File: Haswell-E vs Skylake.jpg (126 KB, 910x681) Image search: [Google]
Haswell-E vs Skylake.jpg
126 KB, 910x681
Is there any good reason to buy Skylake over Haswell-E at this price?
>>
Soo umm I want to learn how to program. I am a IT Management major who has a decent IT job but I want to learn some languages so that I can advance.

Right now the only thing I am familiar with is Visual FoxPro (Because we use it at work), but its 10 years dead.

The biggest hurdle I have is that the only way I learn is if I have an end goal. I was thinking about taking some edx courses but I need suggestions on which language to start with.
>>
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2LmPMp
Recommend a gpu and monitor?
Also, how bad did I fuck up?
>>
Is an A+ cert worth it even if it is not the field im going into. Basically would it give me an edge on a resume?
>>
>>52893942
Nope.
>>
Greetings from /mu/. I plan on building a desktop for the first time after using a gaymen laptop for nearly four years now. What should my budget be around if I want 1080p 60fps with an IPS monitor and mechanical keyboard? Are AMD graphics cards as good as Nvidia ones? I haven't paid much attention to either but I remember a lot of memeing back and forth around here with them.
>>
>>52885748

any tips on stopping DNS leaks in Linux using openvpn / PIA. I've tried the obvious results from google but it does not seem to be helping.
I've done this once before on a system with success but it's been a long time.
Gentoo btw.
>>
>>52894056
how bout mit open course ware?
>>
>>52894077
Get 16gb of ddr3-1600
You dont need ddr4 unless you're doing rendering shit.
Get a 980 or a 970
>>
>>52894124
For high schoolers yes
>>
File: 1453406046040.gif (466 KB, 431x125) Image search: [Google]
1453406046040.gif
466 KB, 431x125
>>52894187
There's a guide to building on the /g/ wiki. You can spend about $800 or $2,000, one or the other no in-between.
>>
Does there exist a way to change the windows font on 8.1 or 10?
>>
>>52894213
Im open to it, but I just need help picking a language.

I am thinking either Python or C++, but I am very open to suggestions.
>>
>>52893773
well i mean i'm mostly using git sites for resume reasons.

when i applied to my first job, i linked to my github and they commented on several things i had on there. i guess i could do that with my own server but it would be kind of ugly
>>
can someone help? my keyboard works at this blue screen i get to before windows boots but when i get to the windows login screen it doesnt work at all. i cant even figure out how to do safe mode. im on win 10 >>52894650
>>
whats the name of that image program that upscales images without losing quality
>>
How do I cross compile for a MIPS 24Kc Linux device? I have a MIPS32 Linux machine at my disposal if that helps at all
>>
>>52894735
use a different keyboard and see if it changes anything
>>
>>52894735
They aren't bluetooth are they?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 35

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.